Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720275 times)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 164
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5400 on: October 19, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »
I have an “old” pair of 58 OG classic F4’s and they seem nearly identical to conical fulls. Maybe it’s just the 58mm size/wider contact patch/side cuts but these look exactly like a conical.

I know for a fact these are OG classics because I still have the original packaging and as far as I know the spiral graphic has only been on “OG” shapes.

Conical full 58s are slightly wider than the OG 58s. The OGs are more square, like tablets with side cuts. Conical full has a more angled cut.

I rode the OG 58s for a few years and loved them. I’m on the regular conical 56mm now that they don’t make OGs anymore. They’re pretty similar so it was a pretty easy switch

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5401 on: October 19, 2023, 04:07:42 PM »
I have an “old” pair of 58 OG classic F4’s and they seem nearly identical to conical fulls. Maybe it’s just the 58mm size/wider contact patch/side cuts but these look exactly like a conical.

I know for a fact these are OG classics because I still have the original packaging and as far as I know the spiral graphic has only been on “OG” shapes.

Yes definitely Formula Four OG Classics.

Funny how some people I know keep confusing the Classic (round shape) with the OG Classic (very square but not wide shape) but they both do still have a swirl graphic too, so that might be part of it.  They also make them in original urethane, which is the same shape and swirl graphic, just no smaller black graphic round the inside on the back of the wheel, with the Old English font lettering instead.

They were still the same shape as when they first came out a few years ago too, more narrow than every other similar shaped wheels, which caught me off guard, because I was thinking they were going to be like the OG wheels, in that they were big and wide with a square profile - think Conical Full in a Radial Full width.

By comparison, the 58 mm OG Classics are 58 x 34.8 with a 23.9 riding surface, which would have widened out a bit depending on how worn down they are too, but as they get smaller, they will wear into the shape and have a very sharp edge as they get smaller too.

Other wheels of the same 58 mm size are wider, Conical Full being 37 mm wide, Classic 35.2 mm, then Conical 35.7 mm and Radial (normal ones, not full shape) being 38 mm wide.  Radial Full are 41 mm wide, but I wasn't comparing those at all.

They were supposed to be coming back again, but as the most narrow wheel in the range, I think they might have been dropped in favour of the wider wheels coming out, eg all the Full shapes that are now on the market.

Like the Radial Slims, they might come back one day, but for now, it seems like there will not be any more for the foreseeable future.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5402 on: October 19, 2023, 11:43:38 PM »
OG Classics narrow? I beg to differ, sir. I feel that they are wide wheels -- as are most wheels in the Spitfire range these days, to be honest, apart from smaller (new) Classics and Radial Slims. After riding slimmer Bones shapes for a while and getting to really like them, even 55mm OG Classics felt really chunky.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #5403 on: October 20, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
In my experience the closest to the OG Classics (which were my favorite and am sad to see them go) are the regular Conicals. Still wider than your normal classic but not into the really wide terrain.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5404 on: October 20, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
OGs are going? My local just got a bunch in so that's sorta strange. Prefer any rounded shape to Conicals

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #5405 on: October 20, 2023, 02:06:41 PM »
So are Lock-In Fulls just as wide as Radial Fulls? I'm having issues with the ladder, one of them keeps locking up on me (happens across two pairs), but I'd like another wide Spitfire wheel and I see some LIFs for cheap. I don't do any grinds, so don't care about shape, just want some wide boys.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #5406 on: October 20, 2023, 02:37:53 PM »
This is a stupid question, but does Spitfire make a lot of black or other colored F4s in 54mm or bigger? They seem kind of hard to find. I really like how these Max Palmer ones look but idk if I want to spend $50 on them

https://limosineskateboards.com/products/max-palmer-limosine-54-mm-classic-full-formula-4-spitfire-wheel

timemachine

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5407 on: October 20, 2023, 02:43:00 PM »
This is a stupid question, but does Spitfire make a lot of black or other colored F4s in 54mm or bigger? They seem kind of hard to find. I really like how these Max Palmer ones look but idk if I want to spend $50 on them

https://limosineskateboards.com/products/max-palmer-limosine-54-mm-classic-full-formula-4-spitfire-wheel
there is a new Nicole Hause 56mm Radials in Black

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5408 on: October 20, 2023, 03:47:19 PM »
OG Classics narrow? I beg to differ, sir. I feel that they are wide wheels -- as are most wheels in the Spitfire range these days, to be honest, apart from smaller (new) Classics and Radial Slims. After riding slimmer Bones shapes for a while and getting to really like them, even 55mm OG Classics felt really chunky.

Ha yeah, compared to all the other shapes and sizes, they are not as wide overall, as per the previous post, with dimensions.

I guess compared to some other brands, or maybe more so just looking at the riding surface, or how square they look, I can easily see how people, others as well in conversations I have had before about them, have said they are not narrow, but in terms of width, they are not a wide wheel.

Going by the 58 mm size before, it was still less than every other Spitfire wheel on the market.

Maybe not when compared to some Bones wheels, but even the V5 is similar width 33 mm, which a lot of people compare to every other wheel.

In the most common size of say 52 mm the OG Classics are only 31.1 mm wide, or the 54 mm size which are 32.3 mm wide.

OGs are going? My local just got a bunch in so that's sorta strange. Prefer any rounded shape to Conicals

Did the OG Classic drop finally happen after all?

The wheels / sizes that were shown a while back were Formula Four 99 duro in 54, 58 and 60 mm, I think.  Most people wanting the 58 or 60 mm sizes in particular.

That will make some people happy then.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5409 on: October 20, 2023, 04:02:35 PM »

Anyone not sure of the wheel shapes and sizes, they are all listed online here:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

But this is maybe the best (easiest to read) shape guide that I have seen so I will put this up here as well.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5410 on: October 20, 2023, 05:45:15 PM »

Anyone not sure of the wheel shapes and sizes, they are all listed online here:

But this is maybe the best (easiest to read) shape guide that I have seen so I will put this up here as well.

Very handy. Thanks!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5411 on: October 20, 2023, 07:48:22 PM »

They still make OG classics in the regular 99a formula. They haven’t made Formula 4 OG classics for a few years now

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5412 on: October 21, 2023, 02:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They still make OG classics in the regular 99a formula. They haven’t made Formula 4 OG classics for a few years now

Not true. The current Spitfire website has OG Classics listed under the F4 shapes. No mention of it being of the older formula.

My local shop has F4 OG Classics on the shelf, so unless they've kept them there since several years ago (not likely), they're still being produced and are definitely F4.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:27:56 AM by rikki »

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #5413 on: October 21, 2023, 03:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not true. The current Spitfire website has OG Classics listed under the F4 shapes. No mention of it being of the older formula.

My local shop has F4 OG Classics on the shelf, so unless they've kept them there since several years ago (not likely), they're still being produced and are definitely F4.

i've seen more normal OG classics than F4 OG classics in shops the last fiew years. but might also be no ones buying the normal spits. why would you.
so dont know which are older, but they definitly exist.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5414 on: October 21, 2023, 04:03:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i've seen more normal OG classics than F4 OG classics in shops the last fiew years. but might also be no ones buying the normal spits. why would you.
so dont know which are older, but they definitly exist.

They still make and distribute a whole lot more wheels than are listed on current websites or catalogs, but the best way to check with anything like that is to jump on DLXSF.COM and message them about it.  Not just any old thing to bug them, but for someone who is looking for something very specific, they usually give you a good reply about current products or if anything is still being made, etc.

There are also still a good number of old stock wheels around too, but sometimes it can be difficult to find them, if you don't know where to look, eg some shops do not put stock online, so those sorts of shops would have a bit more old stock if they don't go through it quickly, as per a few shops I am familar with, who still have OG Classics, Classic Full wheels and some others.  No Radial Slims though - sent the last set of those I bought to Rocklobster a while back.

As far as OG Classics, there are 52, 53 and 54 mm wheels in the original urethane still in plenty of places, but none of the bigger sizes readily available and very few Formula Four in any size.

I am curious to hear what sizes and formulas people have still seen or have arrived in local shops recently too.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5415 on: October 28, 2023, 11:25:54 AM »
Anybody tried Lock in fulls?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5416 on: October 28, 2023, 11:53:48 AM »
Anybody tried Lock in fulls?
Love ‘em. I had some RFs and they were bad, but these are something special. I have them in 55m.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5417 on: October 28, 2023, 12:02:34 PM »
I thought the lock in fulls were fine, smooth ride and do lock in. But the square edges on such a wide wheel made it feel a bit clunky for flip tricks and getting a little tech. Not a dealbreaker by any means but if I was gonna ride a wheel that wide I'd definitely prefer the more rounded edges on the radial full to make things feel just a tad more manageable.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5418 on: October 28, 2023, 12:35:42 PM »
I thought the lock in fulls were fine, smooth ride and do lock in. But the square edges on such a wide wheel made it feel a bit clunky for flip tricks and getting a little tech. Not a dealbreaker by any means but if I was gonna ride a wheel that wide I'd definitely prefer the more rounded edges on the radial full to make things feel just a tad more manageable.
I had two pairs of RFs back-to-back. Both had oversized bearing seats.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5419 on: October 28, 2023, 12:43:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like a you problem, haven't heard of anybody else having this issue.

Even if it was more widespread, thats more due to an unlucky batch coming from the factory and not really relevant to the pros/cons of the actual wheel shape.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5420 on: October 28, 2023, 12:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Even if it was more widespread, thats more due to an unlucky batch coming from the factory and not really relevant to the pros/cons of the actual wheel shape.
That's cute, a me problem. There were multiple folks talking about it in the wheel thread. So clearly you're not paying attention. Which is fine really.

I was just saying, the fact that I got two different sets, from different places, in different duros, it shows that RFs have a quality issue. The pros/cons of the shape don't matter if they're defective lol

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5421 on: October 28, 2023, 12:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
That's cute, a me problem. There were multiple folks talking about it in the wheel thread. So clearly you're not paying attention. Which is fine really.

I was just saying, the fact that I got two different sets, from different places, in different duros, it shows that RFs have a quality issue. The pros/cons of the shape don't matter if they're defective lol

Yeah and how statistically significant is this tiny online forum full of gear nerds when it comes to showing that a particular shape definitely has a widespread quality issue across the board?

Radial full is literally one of the best selling f4 shapes right now, I have several friends out here in the bay and elsewhere riding them, see them in the wild all the time. Never heard of any issues. Plus even if you do get unlucky with a real defect, dlx customer service and warranty got you sorted.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5422 on: October 28, 2023, 01:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

No there wasn't there were a few of us mentioning other Spitfire issues we had at times and how good their warranty is. You have to remember that you're at the upper weight limit of most skate gear which will exacerbate any potential flaws.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5423 on: October 28, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

No there wasn't there were a few of us mentioning other Spitfire issues we had at times and how good their warranty is. You have to remember that you're at the upper weight limit of most skate gear which will exacerbate any potential flaws.

The upper weight limit? Skateboarding has a weight limit? When did this start? We got new skate rules? The skate police are here, everyone! Seriously, what the fuck does that even mean?

And how is an oversized bearing seat, likely noticed before ever so much as rolling on the defective wheel, a weight issue? I’m real lost on this one.

I had an issue a few years back with a spitfire wheel that the bearings were offset in and they couldn’t even go on my axle as a result, was that because I had a chicken sandwich at lunch today?

LebowskisRug, I’ve always thought you’ve done a pretty good job at tying the room together, but everything’s feeling a little disconnected at the moment.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5424 on: October 28, 2023, 04:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The upper weight limit? Skateboarding has a weight limit? When did this start? We got new skate rules? The skate police are here, everyone! Seriously, what the fuck does that even mean?

And how is an oversized bearing seat, likely noticed before ever so much as rolling on the defective wheel, a weight issue? I’m real lost on this one.

I had an issue a few years back with a spitfire wheel that the bearings were offset in and they couldn’t even go on my axle as a result, was that because I had a chicken sandwich at lunch today?

LebowskisRug, I’ve always thought you’ve done a pretty good job at tying the room together, but everything’s feeling a little disconnected at the moment.

Is this where we all take a breath and go skate for the afternoon or something?

Anyway, just for basic info, yes some specific wheel shapes (more so than other shapes) seem to have more issues than others.

Some Conical Full wheels were the most common ones to have the bearing seat offset issues, from what I had seen and recall.  That was a problem for sure and one that was not resolved by anything other than return and replacement.

Some Radial Full wheels might also have some of the similar wheel issues, although it is different to the previous issue, but there are people who seem to experience it more than others too (with an assortment of different brands and shapes of wheels), as per the thread with bearing seat movement here.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

Of half a dozen Radial Full sets of wheels I have had come through my hands or are on my own boards, none have been defective, but that doesn't mean there aren't others out there that perform differently.

Also to note that softer duro wheels are more prone to bearing seat movement, especially with bigger or heavier people - one guy I know who loved softer wheels had to pretty much only buy cored wheels because of this issue, as the normal no core wheels kept blowing out on him - actually had slightly oval shaped wheels come back from him, which went to warranty once, but the reply was these wheels will not hold up to those conditions, or something like that.

Regardless of weight of the skater, having both the same size wheel in 97 and 99 duro have the same thing happen, this is more likely the mold or the urethane just widening out in the bearing seat after production, maybe in the curing process or whatever the wheels went through, than any user error.

Yes DLX is amazing with customer service, but bottom line is sometimes people miss emails or whatever else, so anyone with issues, keep checking, just in case your first one slipped through the cracks, so to speak.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5425 on: October 28, 2023, 05:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya he stared his weight is 245- that's over the limit for many types of bicycles even or to the point where you are limited to specific materials. There's no limit but you can't tell me that a deck, trucks, and wheels will behave the same.

In college I started gaining weight for powerlifting and at around 210-215 I had to effectively quit because I'd bend axles, break decks, snap kingpins, and generally fuck up gear fast. Quality is better than 2006, but boards are still pieces of plywood and urethane is still a compressible, pliable material.

A normal skater is 145-165 so do the math- it's highly likely that maybe a bearing seat that holds fine for normal skaters might slip for someone larger as they exert more force.

The fact that it happened in 2 wheels from 2 places is merely coincidence since it one of the most popular shapes at the moment and we aren't hearing about it more.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5426 on: October 28, 2023, 09:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya he stared his weight is 245- that's over the limit for many types of bicycles even or to the point where you are limited to specific materials. There's no limit but you can't tell me that a deck, trucks, and wheels will behave the same.

In college I started gaining weight for powerlifting and at around 210-215 I had to effectively quit because I'd bend axles, break decks, snap kingpins, and generally fuck up gear fast. Quality is better than 2006, but boards are still pieces of plywood and urethane is still a compressible, pliable material.

A normal skater is 145-165 so do the math- it's highly likely that maybe a bearing seat that holds fine for normal skaters might slip for someone larger as they exert more force.

The fact that it happened in 2 wheels from 2 places is merely coincidence since it one of the most popular shapes at the moment and we aren't hearing about it more.

That’s bullshit though.

“So do the math,” first of all, fuck you. I’m 270 lbs, that shit has never happened to a wheel I’ve skated. I’ve never bent an axle. I have certainly broken boards from improper landings, but that’s it. To try and say a 99 or 97 duro wheel is not able to withstand his cruising weight is ridiculous. Sometimes wheels are just defective. It is insanely bad luck that he got two shit sets in a row though. It is also worth mentioning that there are plenty of skateboarders of all sizes, and Mr. OhioGuy is not on the extreme end of that range.

He said he doesn’t really do much other than cruise and no comply tricks, he isn’t jumping down shit, and the forces he is putting on the wheels, while constant, are less forceful than impacts that your definition of a “normal skater” puts on equipment when they jump down anything higher than a foot off the ground. He’s using equipment made to take a hell of a lot more abuse than he’s putting it through. Quite honestly, if a part of his wheel was going to fail due to his weight, the most likely culprit would be a thin plastic bearing cage rather than a wheel, since they’re so fragile, but we’re not talking about bearing issues.

Perhaps, he’s right, and there are quality issues with a recently released shape, as it is not uncommon for first production runs of things to have a larger amount of defects than an established shape. You and all of your excellent cycling knowledge that you’re trying to extrapolate to skateboard products should surely know that. He’s not upset his $10k carbon road bike can’t handle the stresses, it’s his urethane wheel made to jump down stairs sets.

Also, where exactly did you come up with what a “normal skater” weighs? What exactly is a “normal skater”? Where is your research? As I assume if you were to try and quantify what “normal” is, you would surely have cited studies to back that up. I would throw you a bone and say perhaps you mean “average”, as normal is a setting on the dryer, but even then I would argue that your deemed weight is not in fact average, unless of course you have the resources to back that up.

Fucking get real, and perhaps you sir, should do the fucking math.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5427 on: October 28, 2023, 10:56:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s bullshit though.

“So do the math,” first of all, fuck you. I’m 270 lbs, that shit has never happened to a wheel I’ve skated. I’ve never bent an axle. I have certainly broken boards from improper landings, but that’s it. To try and say a 99 or 97 duro wheel is not able to withstand his cruising weight is ridiculous. Sometimes wheels are just defective. It is insanely bad luck that he got two shit sets in a row though. It is also worth mentioning that there are plenty of skateboarders of all sizes, and Mr. OhioGuy is not on the extreme end of that range.

He said he doesn’t really do much other than cruise and no comply tricks, he isn’t jumping down shit, and the forces he is putting on the wheels, while constant, are less forceful than impacts that your definition of a “normal skater” puts on equipment when they jump down anything higher than a foot off the ground. He’s using equipment made to take a hell of a lot more abuse than he’s putting it through. Quite honestly, if a part of his wheel was going to fail due to his weight, the most likely culprit would be a thin plastic bearing cage rather than a wheel, since they’re so fragile, but we’re not talking about bearing issues.

Perhaps, he’s right, and there are quality issues with a recently released shape, as it is not uncommon for first production runs of things to have a larger amount of defects than an established shape. You and all of your excellent cycling knowledge that you’re trying to extrapolate to skateboard products should surely know that. He’s not upset his $10k carbon road bike can’t handle the stresses, it’s his urethane wheel made to jump down stairs sets.

Also, where exactly did you come up with what a “normal skater” weighs? What exactly is a “normal skater”? Where is your research? As I assume if you were to try and quantify what “normal” is, you would surely have cited studies to back that up. I would throw you a bone and say perhaps you mean “average”, as normal is a setting on the dryer, but even then I would argue that your deemed weight is not in fact average, unless of course you have the resources to back that up.

Fucking get real, and perhaps you sir, should do the fucking math.
The "normal skater" thing was pretty wack.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5428 on: October 29, 2023, 04:48:52 AM »
"Skateboarding is fun. A skateboard wheel not working properly, for whatever reason, is a good problem to have." - Samuel Clemens

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #5429 on: October 29, 2023, 07:52:48 AM »
For the record I’m 145 and have had similar issues with the radial fulls. The sets I’ve had did have bearing seat issues. Warranty was great but eventually had them send me classic f4. I’m on tablets now but missing a wider wheel.

Recently went from 60mm, ventures and risers to Indy’s, 55mm and no risers. I like the somewhat lower setup but miss the bigger wheel for crust. I ride stock loose (no adjustment). Want to get conical fulls but I wish they made them in 55. Anyone ride 56 CF with Indys and no riser? Is the wheelbite gonna be too much?