Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546940 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1020 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
[close]

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that
[close]
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.
[close]

For sure!
[close]
just went from 169 w risers to 6.1 with no risers on the dane 1. it rode nice, hot rod up front as expected. Was with 54mm conicals (not full). also keyframes but didn't really ride it. i liked it better on my 8.75" popsicle bc longer wb and length deck was more comfortable for me with my height.

I gotcha, I was riding Indy 159 with 1/4 risers on the Dane 1 and they felt good. Felt like it could use trucks to push the wb out a bit so O figured aventures would be the way to go. I had some Venture 5.6 on a 14’ wb popsicle a month ago and was surprised at how nice the Ventures turn (put some Bones soft in top bushing and left bottoms stock)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1021 on: April 17, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
I see a few of you guys on here are running 159s or 6.1s on the Dane 1 and liking it. Thats a 1" difference correct? The deck I just ordered is 9.5 so I wonder if I should try the 5.8 Ventures I already own on it before I buy the 6.1s.. Although the two decks are slightly different shapes, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:13:51 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1022 on: April 17, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »
I see a few of you guys on here are running 159s or 6.1s on the Dane 1 and liking it. Thats a 1" difference correct? The deck I just ordered is 9.5 so I wonder if I should try the 5.8 Ventures I already own on it before I buy the 6.1s.. Although the two decks are very different shapes, any thoughts?

I think 159 and 6.1 are both 8.75 axle, so same width and the Dane 1 tapers so the 8.75 axles are nice on that shape.  One inch might feel weird on a deck that doesn’t taper, though plenty of folks ride set ups like that and don’t mind.

Might as well try the 5.8’s if you already have them to see how they feel

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1023 on: April 17, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I see a few of you guys on here are running 159s or 6.1s on the Dane 1 and liking it. Thats a 1" difference correct? The deck I just ordered is 9.5 so I wonder if I should try the 5.8 Ventures I already own on it before I buy the 6.1s.. Although the two decks are very different shapes, any thoughts?
[close]

I think 159 and 6.1 are both 8.75 axle, so same width and the Dane 1 tapers so the 8.75 axles are nice on that shape.  One inch might feel weird on a deck that doesn’t taper, though plenty of folks ride set ups like that and don’t mind.

[/quote
I think I will try them, Looking at the shape again the rear truck might be pretty flush. The front truck will definitely be magic carpet but I think thats how alot of us ran them back then. I just found a brand new set of 54 mm 97a slimeballs in my box of shame too

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1024 on: April 17, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/quote
I think I will try them, Looking at the shape again the rear truck might be pretty flush. The front truck will definitely be magic carpet but I think thats how alot of us ran them back then. I just found a brand new set of 54 mm 97a slimeballs in my box of shame too
[close]
Eh... the 5.8 are 8.5” and Dane 1 tapers to just under 9” in the rear like 7/8” I think if I remember. Those trucks will be too small imo.

legion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1025 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crosspost from the considering buying thread, but i'm looking for board options to put Indy 215s on.  I'm keen to get a set now they're around again, and want to see what 10"+ boards are out there.  Seen the GGIs and the Dogtown Bigfoots, but keen for some other insanity. 

Anyone running 215s on anything?
[close]

In my opinion you can ride them on much more than most people do. 9.5” and up and in general everything with a wide tail.
All kinds of scrams, sc winkowski, even. or heroin eyeballer (very similar shape with modern concave)
A lot of the prime and new deal reissues work for sure.

You just want to ride them as loose as possible because they turn pretty, pretty poorly.
[close]

Good to know, thanks. 

Turn bad? I just imagined they'd feel like bigger 169s.  Chuck em on a riser and get busy but that's a shame.  You know if the wide Aces or Thunders do any better?
The super wide hanger gives you less lean/angle before you get wheelbite.
Ace 66 might be the carviest, wider option? 9.35", shorter wb than Indy's, but lower too.

If you're serious about 215's you should get them quick, I'm pretty sure they sold out again in the States.

What's that big Dogtown shape called? A pig? Off the top of my head that's the only shaped style that really needs 215's. Alva has some thing similar. And Pool Kings? Socal skateshop and sk8supply might help with options.

http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th.htm
10" pop and 10" pig

legion

« Reply #1026 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
[close]

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that
[close]
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.
Did you get that Zero board? I've been eyeing it but didn't wanna give Lamie money. I've wanted something with a wide nose and shorter wb so I almost got the one with the eyes graphic.
Is the Liberty graphic BBS wood? I'm worried that the newer ones would be Dwindle.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1027 on: April 18, 2020, 03:21:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Did you get that Zero board? I've been eyeing it but didn't wanna give Lamie money. I've wanted something with a wide nose and shorter wb so I almost got the one with the eyes graphic.
Is the Liberty graphic BBS wood? I'm worried that the newer ones would be Dwindle.

The dressen that I posted up there is a real similar shape to the zero, 14.25 wb too. There’s a slick version out now. Might fit the nostalgia perfectly?

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/santa-cruz-dressen-eyes-everslick-9-31-deck-red_p133897

I had a Dane 1 with 151 thunders a while back, do t think I have a pic but they fit well with wide wheels on the back truck, very slightly magic carpet on the front but not so you’d notice.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1028 on: April 18, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/quote
[close]
Eh... the 5.8 are 8.5” and Dane 1 tapers to just under 9” in the rear like 7/8” I think if I remember. Those trucks will be too small imo.
[close]
The deck I bought is 9.5 at the widest and looks to have a similar taper to the Dane 1. So that might put my rear truck flush. Hope in one hand, shit in the other at this point  :)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1029 on: April 18, 2020, 06:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Yes I did. Im not sure who pressed it, I will let you know early next week man.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1030 on: April 18, 2020, 06:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

The dressen that I posted up there is a real similar shape to the zero, 14.25 wb too. There’s a slick version out now. Might fit the nostalgia perfectly?

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/santa-cruz-dressen-eyes-everslick-9-31-deck-red_p133897

I had a Dane 1 with 151 thunders a while back, do t think I have a pic but they fit well with wide wheels on the back truck, very slightly magic carpet on the front but not so you’d notice.
That SC will be my next deck for sure. I couldn't find it in stock anywhere yesterday. And my trigger finger was getting itchy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:37:12 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

animalflesh

« Reply #1031 on: April 18, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »

Another dane

Here’s my dane with ace 66

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1032 on: April 18, 2020, 06:39:11 AM »
Expand Quote

Another dane
[close]

Here’s my dane with ace 66
Beautiful.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: April 18, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes
Forgot to get a pic when I put on 6.1

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1034 on: April 18, 2020, 07:40:55 AM »
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes

So nice..How were the 6.1s on it?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1035 on: April 18, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes

[close]

Yes which did you prefer?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1036 on: April 18, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »
Carving cruiser more stable w the 169
Pop and nimbleness the 6.1

Didn’t put much time in with 6.1 on the Dane, and changed the wheels too when I did, but it was kind of easy to see the diff. After riding 169 the 6.1 felt real narrow up front with the wide 9.75” deck.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:43:04 AM by jay_nev »

legion

« Reply #1037 on: April 19, 2020, 01:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

I really like that Dressen shape too. I think there's a Creature board with the same shape. Also a wider Creature that's double drilled. Maybe 14.5" and 14"? Thought about getting one of those but if I'm being picky I'd prefer BBS for a shaped board, the flexiness fits th old school feel. And I really like how I can feel the "spoontail" in the concave. Dwindle wood is really crisp, I like it but not my preference. And I've given nhs enough money this year.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Right on. Could you also post a top pic. Thanks

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1038 on: April 19, 2020, 04:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
I really like that Dressen shape too. I think there's a Creature board with the same shape. Also a wider Creature that's double drilled. Maybe 14.5" and 14"? Thought about getting one of those but if I'm being picky I'd prefer BBS for a shaped board, the flexiness fits th old school feel. And I really like how I can feel the "spoontail" in the concave. Dwindle wood is really crisp, I like it but not my preference. And I've given nhs enough money this year.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Right on. Could you also post a top pic. Thanks
I sure will man

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1039 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes

[close]

This is my third Dane I've set up with 6.1 and 55 Conical Fulls. I can't speak to how it feels with Indys, but my Dane set up is the one I keep coming back to. Highly recommend.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1040 on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »
Jealous as fuck of those wheel wells haha

I think I’m about to throw conical fulls on my Dane 1 too. They seem to take up the front more for the 6.1 8.75” truck

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1041 on: April 19, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes

[close]
[close]

This is my third Dane I've set up with 6.1 and 55 Conical Fulls. I can't speak to how it feels with Indys, but my Dane set up is the one I keep coming back to. Highly recommend.
Those wheel wells couldn't of come out any better. Nice job

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1042 on: April 19, 2020, 08:46:45 PM »
What companies make shapes similar to Scram? I’m in Australia and having a hard time finding them. What is the concave like on them? Flat, deep, old school?

This is mine from a few pages back and would love similar suggestions. Running 169 Hollows and 58mm Radial Fulls now.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:57:32 PM by texasplant »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1043 on: April 20, 2020, 01:52:07 AM »
What companies make shapes similar to Scram? I’m in Australia and having a hard time finding them. What is the concave like on them? Flat, deep, old school?

This is mine from a few pages back and would love similar suggestions. Running 169 Hollows and 58mm Radial Fulls now.

U don't like Ace with this setup?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1044 on: April 20, 2020, 04:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

U don't like Ace with this setup?

I find the tiny bit of extra hangar to be handy, plus I wanted to shave a tiny bit of weight off it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: April 20, 2020, 05:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes
[close]
[close]

[close]
this summer drop of Dane 1’s have wheel wells stock

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1046 on: April 20, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »
Love wheel wells but on the Dane 1 they aren't placed as well as they could be.. at least not for Aces... which I believe Dane rides...

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: April 20, 2020, 06:48:50 AM »
Charming bat -  those the dlx supercush 99a bushings?

Dane 1 with aces is a real short wb

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1048 on: April 20, 2020, 07:19:09 AM »
Charming bat -  those the dlx supercush 99a bushings?

Dane 1 with aces is a real short wb

They are just the green stock bushings. Haven’t felt the need to change them out.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1049 on: April 20, 2020, 07:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s mine with 169
54 oj keyframes
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
this summer drop of Dane 1’s have wheel wells stock
I meant they did a nice job then..haha Thing looks really fun