Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547759 times)

midtownatl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1500 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »

Tile High Club deck. Small company a friend of mine runs.
9” wide 14.25wb unfinished top ply

Ace 55 Gonna try these out stock, coming off 169s with bones hards.
52mm conical F4
Pig rails
Bender hardware
Rockin Rons bearings
Mob

That is sick dude

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1501 on: June 05, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Expand Quote

52mm conical F4
Pig rails
Bender hardware
Rockin Rons bearings
Mob
[close]

That is sick dude

Thanks, dude! I’m pretty stoked on it. Going to break it in tomorrow

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1502 on: June 05, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

52mm conical F4
Pig rails
Bender hardware
Rockin Rons bearings
Mob
[close]

That is sick dude
[close]

Board slides with rails on curbs are really fun.
Be interesting to see what you think of the 55s vs 169s.

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1503 on: June 05, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Curb Pit. 53mm F4 99 Classics.
Heroin 10in. 54mm F4 99 CFs.
Zip zogger. 51mm F4 101 Conicals.
Natas SMA. 56mm F4 99 CFs.
AH Cardiel. 51mm SFWs.
B.Anderson. 54mm F4 99 CFs.
101 Kaupus. 51mm 99 Classics.
Powerslide. 49mm Big Heads.
B. Worrest. 51mm F4 101 Conicals.
AH 16inWB. 51mm F4 99 Classics.
Kader 9inch. 49mm F4 99 Classics.

The majority of my 9 inch quiver.

169s w/ 92a Indy bushings, bones and risers on all of them.

Got a digital torque wrench after 20 years of using the finger feeling the kingpin/nut tightening system so ALL my trucks turn the same regular or fakie.

Sneakysecrets... I ride them all. Usually three/four a day depending on the session/spots/time I have to skate. I don’t spend to much time learning new shit at 36 so it doesn’t fuck me up too much. If I don’t like a board i skate it as much as possible just to get rid of it. I try not to waste them. No focusing either. Shit is wack. I didn’t see your PM for months after you askedx sorry for the late reply

Edit:sorry new to imgur don’t even know how doom posted the link
[close]
Awesome quiver. What’s the wheelbase and length of that Kader?
[close]

14.5 wheelbase 32 Inches even for the length. It’s super sick being wide and short. I like it more than the orange eagle and most AH boards are usually longer The bigger they get. The 9 eagle popsicle is 2.5 shorter than their longboard 15in wheelbase, crazy
Awesome thank you, I just ordered a 9.0 deathwish board, the dimensions on the site say 31.875 with a 14.25 wb. Hoping the site is right because ID really like to try a board that short and stubby. If it does come in at 32 and 14.5 wb I’d still be hyped

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1504 on: June 05, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »
Everyone needs to lay of the stickers a lil bit.
I know stickers are cool but maybe we need to start a sticker thread so people can show them off without ruining their board.
When did a Labor sticker become the new Supreme sticker? Pretty sure they don’t sell zero or girl.

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #1505 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54:58 PM »
I know stickers are cool but maybe we need to start a sticker thread so people can show them off without ruining their board.
When did a Labor sticker become the new Supreme sticker? Pretty sure they don’t sell zero or girl.

Stickers are less than two bucks, a lot for $1 unless your local sucks. Sticker jobs are for tinkering with the shit that already makes you hyped, fuck it. Customization is the shit even with stickers
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1506 on: June 06, 2020, 04:30:33 AM »
The Ventures and hardware were purchased from Labor. Also I dont understand the Supreme comparison but I don't really care to. Maybe you could go bring your fun little attitude to some other thread this one doesn't need you at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:32:27 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1507 on: June 06, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »

No

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1508 on: June 06, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No

+1

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1509 on: June 06, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »

AH Curb Pit. 53mm F4 99 Classics.
Heroin 10in. 54mm F4 99 CFs.
Zip zogger. 51mm F4 101 Conicals.
Natas SMA. 56mm F4 99 CFs.
AH Cardiel. 51mm SFWs.
B.Anderson. 54mm F4 99 CFs.
101 Kaupus. 51mm 99 Classics.
Powerslide. 49mm Big Heads.
B. Worrest. 51mm F4 101 Conicals.
AH 16inWB. 51mm F4 99 Classics.
Kader 9inch. 49mm F4 99 Classics.

The majority of my 9 inch quiver.

169s w/ 92a Indy bushings, bones and risers on all of them.

Got a digital torque wrench after 20 years of using the finger feeling the kingpin/nut tightening system so ALL my trucks turn the same regular or fakie.

Sneakysecrets... I ride them all. Usually three/four a day depending on the session/spots/time I have to skate. I don’t spend to much time learning new shit at 36 so it doesn’t fuck me up too much. If I don’t like a board i skate it as much as possible just to get rid of it. I try not to waste them. No focusing either. Shit is wack. I didn’t see your PM for months after you askedx sorry for the late reply

Edit:sorry new to imgur don’t even know how doom posted the link

Sometimes I look at this photo and try and determine which 3 I would choose. And that exercise feels draconian.

animalflesh

« Reply #1510 on: June 06, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Hmmmm...

Curb pit, natas SMA, kader

Cover all terrain

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1511 on: June 06, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
That Worrest with the big nose and the more rounded off tail looks really fun. I have never seen a shape like that without a square tail.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1512 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

52mm conical F4
Pig rails
Bender hardware
Rockin Rons bearings
Mob
[close]

That is sick dude
[close]

[close]

Tried a couple of those today and ended up on my ass.  Gotta get used to the slickness.  First session on the Aces I’ll confess I put my bones hards in them. Nut flush. I weigh 240 and that makes them feel good.  The board deff turned better. Like I could dig in pretty far before I got wheelbite. I love that surfy feeling. Pop was good.  Flips went ok. But I couldn’t get out of a slappy crook to save my life.  I think I just need to get some grooves in them and work on it more.  Didn’t miss the Indys at all.

Hefe43

« Reply #1513 on: June 06, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
That Worrest with the big nose and the more rounded off tail looks really fun. I have never seen a shape like that without a square tail.

The worrest is super fun. I bought one and set it up and was bummed first day I only grabbed one. Scoured the valley/internet for a second before they were gone. Should’ve bought 5 decks I like it so much
Hmmmm...

Cover all terrain
Fuck yeah! Really tho I skate the same terrain on all them. Those are street skating decks regardless of wheelbase/size/shape.

The natas sma I hardly ride but the graphics are what made me buy it. Natas name on it didn’t hurt.

My pop had a tattoo of a black panther on his forearm. A heroin panther to be exact. The black panther has always been my pops spirit animal and after he passed I’ve ran with it. It’s become his symbol.

The Dogtown cross is another one important to me as far as my pops. He would draw the cross like Wes humpston on stuff to show me examples of drawing. One of his cousins told me they used to steal DT boards from the white kids back in the day. So I don’t know if he stole it from wes (cuz Wes stole It from Stecyk who stole it from Chicano gangbangers, like my pops,) and used it as the DTS aesthetic

This Thing Of Ours

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1514 on: June 06, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

52mm conical F4
Pig rails
Bender hardware
Rockin Rons bearings
Mob
[close]

That is sick dude
[close]

[close]

[close]

Tried a couple of those today and ended up on my ass.  Gotta get used to the slickness.  First session on the Aces I’ll confess I put my bones hards in them. Nut flush. I weigh 240 and that makes them feel good.  The board deff turned better. Like I could dig in pretty far before I got wheelbite. I love that surfy feeling. Pop was good.  Flips went ok. But I couldn’t get out of a slappy crook to save my life.  I think I just need to get some grooves in them and work on it more.  Didn’t miss the Indys at all.

Ass busters real fast with the rails for sure. Probably unlock a spot or two tho.
ACE turn better, imo, I get much less wheelbite. I had better pop with Indys I think.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1515 on: June 06, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
Hmmmm...

Cover all terrain

I’m with you all of the way on the first two. Then it comes down to Mariano, Worrest, Kader. I think I’d rather have the Worrest, but the Kader looks like it’d be closest to a ‘regular’ board for me.....Mariano looks like it has smaller wb.....yup can’t decide.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1516 on: June 06, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I have short legs for my height(30 inseam 6’ tall) and anything over 14.5 wb 32.25 length feels like a long board for flip tricks. There is a tipping point for me, I’ve skated plenty of decks that are 9-9.75 that are shorter that I could 3 flip on easier than an 8.25 dlx full shape that has 14.5 and 32.5 length(measures flat). Also kick on the tail plus wheel size changes that response.
I wish I could just set a board up and go but it doesn’t work like that for me.
[close]

I’ve got short legs as well, so always looking for short wb/short length (14”/31.5”).

I saw Chico redrilled a board, giving an old school shape more nose/shorter wheelbase, and I think about trying this on some scram boards (love the company, but....I’m never gonna invert, I just want something sick looking to pedal around town on and see the sights, whilst attempting some flat ground). I wonder how quickly the redrill goes haywire, makes the board unstable etc...
I was curious about this too. I got a Creature Milton Martinez around Christmas that’s 8.8x33 15” WB. Steep kicks too. I’m tall but just do not have the leg muscle to make this fun to ride so it’s been sitting in the pile.

The other day I realized I had a pair of mini logo 8.75 trucks sitting around with a 6 hole baseplate so I bolted the extended baseplate holes into the front deck holes and drilled the other four holes out, bringing the WB down to 14.75. I left the mini logos on and ended up getting just over 0.6” shorter axle to axle WB vs. the original WB w Thunders. Kicks are still steep but the board is way easier to pop.

Where I see redrilling potentially going wrong is just taking it down too far. I had to tighten the kingpin nuts a quarter turn to get rid of some instability with the new WB and the overall dimensions of the deck would get real weird with much more than 1/4” decrease which I imagine would be the case with a lot of other decks. I definitely had to think about front foot position a bit more when riding. I’d need to look but I’m wondering if decks that come double-drilled are shaped so the holes straddle a sweet spot or if the dimensions kinda favor the front or back holes.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Hefe43

« Reply #1517 on: June 06, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have short legs for my height(30 inseam 6’ tall) and anything over 14.5 wb 32.25 length feels like a long board for flip tricks. There is a tipping point for me, I’ve skated plenty of decks that are 9-9.75 that are shorter that I could 3 flip on easier than an 8.25 dlx full shape that has 14.5 and 32.5 length(measures flat). Also kick on the tail plus wheel size changes that response.
I wish I could just set a board up and go but it doesn’t work like that for me.
[close]

I’ve got short legs as well, so always looking for short wb/short length (14”/31.5”).

I saw Chico redrilled a board, giving an old school shape more nose/shorter wheelbase, and I think about trying this on some scram boards (love the company, but....I’m never gonna invert, I just want something sick looking to pedal around town on and see the sights, whilst attempting some flat ground). I wonder how quickly the redrill goes haywire, makes the board unstable etc...
[close]
I was curious about this too. I got a Creature Milton Martinez around Christmas that’s 8.8x33 15” WB. Steep kicks too. I’m tall but just do not have the leg muscle to make this fun to ride so it’s been sitting in the pile.

The other day I realized I had a pair of mini logo 8.75 trucks sitting around with a 6 hole baseplate so I bolted the extended baseplate holes into the front deck holes and drilled the other four holes out, bringing the WB down to 14.75. I left the mini logos on and ended up getting just over 0.6” shorter axle to axle WB vs. the original WB w Thunders. Kicks are still steep but the board is way easier to pop.

Where I see redrilling potentially going wrong is just taking it down too far. I had to tighten the kingpin nuts a quarter turn to get rid of some instability with the new WB and the overall dimensions of the deck would get real weird with much more than 1/4” decrease which I imagine would be the case with a lot of other decks. I definitely had to think about front foot position a bit more when riding. I’d need to look but I’m wondering if decks that come double-drilled are shaped so the holes straddle a sweet spot or if the dimensions kinda favor the front or back holes.

I’d love to rest I’ll some decks but I hear you fucked up the response of the board if done wrong so I’ve never tried it. Your way seems legit tho

This Thing Of Ours

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1518 on: June 07, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »

Street Plant 'Super Blake'

Size: 9.5" x 32"
Wheelbase: 14.625" or 15.375"  **Double Drilled**
Nose: 6" / 5.625"
Tail: 6.25"/ 6.75"
Bolded is how I've set it up

Indy 159 Hollows (8.75" synchs up with the boards taper) - Stock bushings/pivots for now
MOB
54mm 101a OJII Elite Dressen Hardlines (been dying to trying this shape/duro/thane combo) - plus the 'street razors' the graphic is based off of were my wheels of choice back then
Zealous Bearings
Superior 7/8" Bolts

Went out to slap around and flatland on my regular pops but brought the pig along. kick flips, heels were easy enough but ollies, fucking ghost town pop...still can not get the feel of it after multiple sessions.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:07:05 PM by Xen »

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1519 on: June 08, 2020, 04:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 159 Hollows (8.75" synchs up with the boards taper) - Stock bushings/pivots for now
MOB
54mm 101a OJII Elite Dressen Hardlines (been dying to trying this shape/duro/thane combo) - plus the 'street razors' the graphic is based off of were my wheels of choice back then
Zealous Bearings
Superior 7/8" Bolts
[close]

Went out to slap around and flatland on my regular pops but brought the pig along. kick flips, heels were easy enough but ollies, fucking ghost town pop...still can not get the feel of it after multiple sessions.

Nice impossible young fella.

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1520 on: June 08, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »
Ricky Oyola on traffic slappy theories 9.25

I'm curious -- what does traffic's "slappy" shape really mean?  Just that it is 9.25?  I was looking at their website earlier to see what width options there were and saw slappy as one with no other qualifier as far as I could tell

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1521 on: June 08, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »

Gave it a makeover from the Indy 169-cruiser setup it’s been for a bit.

Venture 6.1 on. Dlx supercush 97a. Also old 54mm parts bin classic shape wheels for the hell of it. Had a lot of fun. Popped so much better. Gave it some new life. Wheels weren’t as harsh as I thought.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:04:15 PM by jay_nev »

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1522 on: June 08, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »

Gave it a makeover from the Indy 169-cruiser setup it’s been for a bit.

Venture 6.1 on. Also old 54mm parts bin element classic shape wheels for the hell of it. Had a lot of fun. Popped so much better. Gave it some new life. Wheels weren’t as harsh as I thought
Hell yeah! 6.1s with smallish wheels on big boards are so good.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1523 on: June 08, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

MOB
Zealous Bearings
Superior 7/8" Bolts
[close]

[close]

Thanks brother! Not as clean (let alone as high) as I have them on a regular Popsicle where they are effortless, this one took work to wrap.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1524 on: June 08, 2020, 08:25:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

MOB
Zealous Bearings
Superior 7/8" Bolts
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks brother! Not as clean (let alone as high) as I have them on a regular Popsicle where they are effortless, this one took work to wrap.
Np, I love impossible's. I like the pop and catch of a popsicle. Fliptricks are alot of work for me on big boards but they are so rewarding when they are clean.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #1525 on: June 08, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »

Welcome Seahorse on Golem Deck 9.25 x 32.6 WB: 14.5"
Independent 159s 8.75" Trucks, raw silver, stock bushings, medium loose
Spitfire Classics Toxic Shrooms 55mm 99duro Wheels, orange/blue swirl
Mob grip, Spit bearings, generic hardware
Black Powell rails, Black 1/8" Indy risers

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1526 on: June 09, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
how much do forensic technicians make

First 9"+ board, i built it for cruising and skating crusty bank spots.

Polar Dane 1
Thunder 151
1/4" risers
59mm Bones Rough Riders
Bones Super Reds

The trucks fits well in the back but magic carpets a bit in the front, feels fine though, the board has a surprising amount of pop.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1527 on: June 09, 2020, 11:53:22 AM »
I have a dan's rig board with 151s and 56mm f4 classics, I feel your pain there, if I got bigger trucks I'd be got dogging pretty bad in the back, skates good though. polar board looks sick

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1528 on: June 09, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »
169's fit well in the front and rear. barely any dogging in the back. just makes it harder to pop IMO. got tiring and when i put my 6.1's back on it felt way snappier. (posted last page)

not sure how it'd feel with 1/4" risers and 59mm wheels though. thats a diff ballgame, never ridden anything like that.

jealous of those wheel wells damnit

bigspende

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1529 on: June 11, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
First time posting, long time lurkin. Need some advice.

Looking to set up a "do it all board" Something fun to pop around and cruise on but still park friendly. Thinkin something in the 9-9.5 range. 56mm 99a either OJ or Spit?
The board is whats hanging me up. Looked at the couch shapes but am worried about that small of a WB.

should be noted that I got a street plant barnhammer set up right now and the WB kinda bugs me. Thanks!