Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546990 times)

animalflesh

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5880 on: December 09, 2023, 07:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Free eart key from my friend shape didn’t work for him

Scram
Rockets
1/4 riser
[close]

Interested in hearing your thoughts on that one since we seem to have similar tastes in boards for the most part.

He had it on 9 inch aces and to be honest it didn’t feel very good to ride, when I set it up on these super wide Indy’s it was like night and day tho…

the tail fans back out to 10 and the front truck is really wide too so the 215 feel stable and it’s a very slash grind kinda surfy board

Cause the tail is so long you kinda have to ride back foot pocket or you’re just manualing out of everything but the crouched stance it forces you into feels really good it kinda forces you to have better style

It Ollie’s and shit too like you can do a kickflip on it if you wanna

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5881 on: December 09, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scram
Rockets
1/4 riser
[close]

Interested in hearing your thoughts on that one since we seem to have similar tastes in boards for the most part.
[close]

He had it on 9 inch aces and to be honest it didn’t feel very good to ride, when I set it up on these super wide Indy’s it was like night and day tho…

the tail fans back out to 10 and the front truck is really wide too so the 215 feel stable and it’s a very slash grind kinda surfy board

Cause the tail is so long you kinda have to ride back foot pocket or you’re just manualing out of everything but the crouched stance it forces you into feels really good it kinda forces you to have better style

i adored my scram x assault nolan.
but i could NOT ollie that fucker

been scared to try one since

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #5882 on: December 09, 2023, 05:58:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scram
Rockets
1/4 riser
[close]

[close]

Thanks never seen one in person. Goodtimes sold the one they had a day before I went up there a few years back. Pretty sure that was Khyunjun’s shape so it makes sense that 215s are better on it.

@ok is that Nolan guest deck in skateable shape? My last one is almost ready to be retired to the wall and I haven’t been able to scare another up. If it’s not dead, warped, delamed, or severely razor tailed and you want to get rid of it lmk please.
I do hear you on Ollie’s on it. My first one I did quite a few unexpected 1 foots, but this one I figured out the sweet spot so not an issue anymore.

animalflesh

« Reply #5883 on: December 09, 2023, 09:15:59 PM »
Oh yeah they put that one out for him with the tin Yang’s and stuff I completely forgot

The board grows on me more each session

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #5884 on: December 10, 2023, 02:02:16 AM »
tried ot this Blast deck i skated about a year ago but couln't get used to. i wish i liked the shape cause Blast keeps doing this shape with lots of cool graphics, and on paper the specs should be good.

its hard to see in pictures but when you choose the shorter wheelbase option, that should give you a normal sized nose, the nose goes up really late still making the nose look and feel a lot smaller than the tail. but more importantly it gives you way too much flat, and that completely fucks up my board feel as i cant tell by my concave where my truck should be.

while somehow this deck is the best deck i've ever had for slappy crooks, got the perfect pinch. i just cant slappy 50 on this consistently. and doing combos is even harder as i cant really judge where my truck is  i guess. if that makes any sense.

it also sometimes happens that i accidentially stand beyond the tipping point when i wanna pusd and thats just embarrasing.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5885 on: December 10, 2023, 04:52:53 AM »
tried ot this Blast deck i skated about a year ago but couln't get used to. i wish i liked the shape cause Blast keeps doing this shape with lots of cool graphics, and on paper the specs should be good.

its hard to see in pictures but when you choose the shorter wheelbase option, that should give you a normal sized nose, the nose goes up really late still making the nose look and feel a lot smaller than the tail. but more importantly it gives you way too much flat, and that completely fucks up my board feel as i cant tell by my concave where my truck should be.

while somehow this deck is the best deck i've ever had for slappy crooks, got the perfect pinch. i just cant slappy 50 on this consistently. and doing combos is even harder as i cant really judge where my truck is  i guess. if that makes any sense.

it also sometimes happens that i accidentially stand beyond the tipping point when i wanna pusd and thats just embarrasing.

DIY painted baseplates? If so, what'd you use?

animalflesh

« Reply #5886 on: December 10, 2023, 06:09:21 AM »
Pretty sure those are the film x T&C trucks that came that way

disclosed

« Reply #5887 on: December 10, 2023, 06:50:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just normal spraypaint. white basecoat and neon pink and green after. it's nothing special. chips off a little at stress points like the pivot cup and mounting holes. but other than that stays on fine.

it was indeed inspired by those Film trucks who have those  colored baseplates, aswell as my friend Daisuke from Tokyo who allways paints his hangers different neon colors. i think he got that idea from Craig Questions, but not sure.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #5888 on: December 10, 2023, 02:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

just normal spraypaint. white basecoat and neon pink and green after. it's nothing special. chips off a little at stress points like the pivot cup and mounting holes. but other than that stays on fine.

it was indeed inspired by those Film trucks who have those  colored baseplates, aswell as my friend Daisuke from Tokyo who allways paints his hangers different neon colors. i think he got that idea from Craig Questions, but not sure.

Golden Age Daisuke?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

disclosed

« Reply #5889 on: December 10, 2023, 02:38:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Golden Age Daisuke?

yes. not surprised you know him.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #5890 on: December 11, 2023, 08:53:36 AM »

I've been skating this as my normal setup and could not be happier... This is the second one out of my stash that I set up after the first started to develop a warp/twist after just about 7 weeks (presumably from the weather we've been getting on the East Coast).
  • Krooked Bird Beamer
  • Jessup Ultra
  • Ace 1" Allen & Ace 1/8" risers
  • Ace AF1 80's
  • Spitfire F4 99a Gonz Conical Full 58's
  • Bones Swiss
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

animalflesh

« Reply #5891 on: December 11, 2023, 06:18:34 PM »
Nice, that bowl is in PA right?

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #5892 on: December 12, 2023, 08:38:41 AM »

Yeah, it's in Lancaster, Pa.
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

animalflesh

« Reply #5893 on: December 12, 2023, 01:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it's in Lancaster, Pa.

Never been but heard good things, maybe next month when I’m out that way

animalflesh

« Reply #5894 on: December 15, 2023, 12:51:13 PM »
I’m pushing this back to the first page to talk about quivers

I only do two boards currently

I’ve done the occasional 8.75 pop and sometimes a cruiser but I find it just distracts from skateboarding for me

These are both “all purpose” but I favor the scram for steep transition and DIY and the fixer as my ‘normal’ skateboard

Anyone else only have 9+

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5895 on: December 16, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »
I’m pushing this back to the first page to talk about quivers

I only do two boards currently

I’ve done the occasional 8.75 pop and sometimes a cruiser but I find it just distracts from skateboarding for me

These are both “all purpose” but I favor the scram for steep transition and DIY and the fixer as my ‘normal’ skateboard

Anyone else only have 9+

Yeah. The smallest I do is 9 and that’s been my single everything board but the curb I’ve been skating grabs and kills all speed with 159s so I’ve been using a 10” with 169s for that specific curb.
Anything 9 or over I’m happy on.

disclosed

« Reply #5896 on: December 17, 2023, 01:36:54 AM »
i usually only have one setup thats allways around 9.5/10" sometimes i have 2 setups than it would be like one 9.5 and one 10. really don't go smaller than that. doest feel comfortable.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5897 on: December 18, 2023, 05:49:01 AM »
modified a phawt last week. Shortened the wb to 14" and added wheel wells. I realize the loveseat and couch exist, but I wanted to have a big nose and tail. Also trying Royals. So far I like them. Wheels are 55mm x97.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5898 on: December 18, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
modified a phawt last week. Shortened the wb to 14" and added wheel wells. I realize the loveseat and couch exist, but I wanted to have a big nose and tail. Also trying Royals. So far I like them. Wheels are 55mm x97.

That thing looks amazing!!!

Attention to detail and changing it up so it works for you is so good there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #5899 on: December 18, 2023, 04:14:46 PM »
That’s a beautiful board. Where can I buy ?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #5900 on: December 18, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »

Wow. Nicely done.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5901 on: December 19, 2023, 05:49:59 AM »

That thing looks amazing!!!

Attention to detail and changing it up so it works for you is so good there.

it definitely is working how I wanted it to. My whole foot can be on the nose or tail when sliding and it's not dragging on the curb!

That’s a beautiful board. Where can I buy ?

thanks! It's a crailtap phawt. They have them on sale now for $42! Wound up ordering 2 more of them myself. I just usually sand graphics off of all boards I buy and paint my own on them. For the wheel wells I just used a 2" flex pad drill attachment with a 80 grit disc velcroed onto it.

animalflesh

« Reply #5902 on: December 19, 2023, 09:02:39 AM »
Cool graphic good job

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5903 on: December 28, 2023, 06:49:06 PM »

I’m sounding like a broken record but damn your art is rad!

Coming to a skateshop near you:

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5904 on: December 29, 2023, 05:12:20 AM »
thank you very much. To be fair it's more like an ode to another artist, or like direct inspiration, so I can't take much credit.

That sweatpants is rad!

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5905 on: December 29, 2023, 03:45:44 PM »
One of my favorite shapes. Got another one on ice, too. And of course it features my signature “Did He Cut That Grip With a Spoon?” grip job.

Sea Rat
Capt Walker Shovel shape
9.25 (9 over front trucks, 8.75 over back)
15 WB

Indy 159s
Spitfire 54 Tablets
Reds
Jessup
Enjoi rails

Please excuse the dirty rug.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 03:52:58 PM by WelcomeToHell »

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #5906 on: December 29, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »
One of my favorite shapes. Got another one on ice, too. And of course it features my signature “Did He Cut That Grip With a Spoon?” grip job.

Sea Rat
Capt Walker Shovel shape
15 WB

Indy 159s
Spitfire 54 Tablets
Reds
Jessup
Enjoi rails

I was not going to excuse your filthy rug, but I can’t stay mad at those rails. Nice setup.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5907 on: December 29, 2023, 08:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Sea Rat
Capt Walker Shovel shape
15 WB

Indy 159s
Spitfire 54 Tablets
Reds
Jessup
Enjoi rails

[close]

I was not going to excuse your filthy rug, but I can’t stay mad at those rails. Nice setup.

No lie, that rug is trashed. It’s the kids playroom/skate setup room/guitar repair room.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5908 on: December 30, 2023, 07:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m sounding like a broken record but damn your art is rad!

Coming to a skateshop near you:

Krooked doing proper Colour My Friends reissue?  Hell yeah.  Wish they'd do the OG shapes though

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #5909 on: December 30, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »

Set this up today. Krooked Gonz family affair popsicle, 9 x 33.25 x 15. It's my ramp/transition board.

It's the same 9-inch shape that DLX uses across all its brands, I believe.

I'm hyped because I've never actually skated one of Gonz's models, and I'm also trying out a deck with wheel wells for the first time. Also because it's a brand I support and it's a popsicle instead of shaped. Personally not feeling shaped decks these days.

I skated it a bit earlier, it feels good. Running the same Independent 169s and Santa Cruz 97a Slimeballs. Grip is Mob, not sure about the bearings.