Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 132001 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #960 on: February 19, 2023, 04:40:03 AM »

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2023, 06:25:54 AM »
Kingpin clearance still looks really bad.
*sigh*

IpathCats

« Reply #962 on: February 19, 2023, 07:35:42 AM »
*sigh*

Yea, def not the best

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #963 on: February 19, 2023, 07:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
*sigh*
[close]

Yea, def not the best

My two favorite trucks, 5.2 lo’s and 147s, have terrible Clarence. And they are still my favorite. All to say these could be fine.

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #964 on: February 19, 2023, 08:12:19 AM »
Does anyone have measurements of the stage 4 bushings? Has Indy released any info on aftermarket bushings for the stage 4s? Would Ace bushings work?

Someone needs to nerd out properly on these and post all the measurements for us other nerds to go over. The madness sure seems to be creeping in strongly for me.

Here are my notes after comparing models. In front of me, I have a:

146 Stage 4
215 Stage XI
169 Stage XI Standard
169 Stage XI Forged

All fairly fresh, nothing is super squished or destroyed on these, for the record.

HEIGHT
Interestingly, the 215s are the only ones that measured a full 55mm to the center of the axle (taking measurement from each axle end and averaging the four). All the others were 53-54mm like the forged model, including the Stage 4.

BUSHINGS
The Stage 4 bushings are indeed taller like the 215 bushings. They have a 14mm barrel and 12mm cone, same as a fresh set of AF1 bushings.

HANGER
Apples to apples, the Stage 4 hanger looks to be the same geometry as the 215 hanger. Only difference I can see with the naked eye is a very slightly longer pivot on the 215 hanger (like 1-2mm at most).

BASEPLATE
The Stage 4 baseplate is slightly different. With the naked eye, it’s a little lower than the Stage XI 6-hole plate (not thinner like the forged plate, but the kingpin base and pivot base sit lower than the Stage XI plate, and I’m guessing the angles are slightly different, but can’t really confirm without a better set of measuring tools). The lettering running up the sides of the baseplate is smaller as well, so you can easily tell these baseplates apart that way if you get things mixed up on the workbench.

COMPATIBILITY
So, NHS says no, but I say yes. The 215 (to me) looks like it comes on a Stage XI plate with a longer kingpin, and the the 215 and Stage 4 hangers are so similar to the naked eye, if not identical, logic would dictate that the Stage 4 hanger would also fit on a Stage XI baseplate, and it does.

I popped the Stage 4 hanger on the regular 6-hole plate from the 169s (for the shorter kingpin) as well as the smaller bushings that come stock in Stage XIs, and it all comes together quite nicely, no red flags on the fit of anything. You get a couple extra millimeters of kingpin clearance, too. May need to play with Ace washers or flat washers or something if they start hitting the hanger yoke, but that’s the only issue I could forsee happening with shorter bushings.

Hope this helps you get the most out of these. Here are a couple pics of the shorter pin with the Stage 4 hanger.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:29:01 AM by intendedreceivers »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #965 on: February 19, 2023, 09:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have measurements of the stage 4 bushings? Has Indy released any info on aftermarket bushings for the stage 4s? Would Ace bushings work?

Someone needs to nerd out properly on these and post all the measurements for us other nerds to go over. The madness sure seems to be creeping in strongly for me.
[close]

Here are my notes after comparing models. In front of me, I have a:

146 Stage 4
215 Stage XI
169 Stage XI Standard
169 Stage XI Forged

All fairly fresh, nothing is super squished or destroyed on these, for the record.

HEIGHT
Interestingly, the 215s are the only ones that measured a full 55mm to the center of the axle (taking measurement from each axle end and averaging the four). All the others were 53-54mm like the forged model, including the Stage 4.

BUSHINGS
The Stage 4 bushings are indeed taller like the 215 bushings. They have a 14mm barrel and 12mm cone, same as a fresh set of AF1 bushings.

HANGER
Apples to apples, the Stage 4 hanger looks to be the same geometry as the 215 hanger. Only difference I can see with the naked eye is a very slightly longer pivot on the 215 hanger (like 1-2mm at most).

BASEPLATE
The Stage 4 baseplate is slightly different. With the naked eye, it’s a little lower than the Stage XI 6-hole plate (not thinner like the forged plate, but the kingpin base and pivot base sit lower than the Stage XI plate, and I’m guessing the angles are slightly different, but can’t really confirm without a better set of measuring tools). The lettering running up the sides of the baseplate is smaller as well, so you can easily tell these baseplates apart that way if you get things mixed up on the workbench.

COMPATIBILITY
So, NHS says no, but I say yes. The 215 (to me) looks like it comes on a Stage XI plate with a longer kingpin, and the the 215 and Stage 4 hangers are so similar to the naked eye, if not identical, logic would dictate that the Stage 4 hanger would also fit on a Stage XI baseplate, and it does.

I popped the Stage 4 hanger on the regular 6-hole plate from the 169s (for the shorter kingpin) as well as the smaller bushings that come stock in Stage XIs, and it all comes together quite nicely, no red flags on the fit of anything. You get a couple extra millimeters of kingpin clearance, too. May need to play with Ace washers or flat washers or something if they start hitting the hanger yoke, but that’s the only issue I could forsee happening with shorter bushings.

Hope this helps you get the most out of these. Here are a couple pics of the shorter pin with the Stage 4 hanger.

Proper stuff. Thanks a lot! I wonder who’s gonna be the first person to swap in Ace bushings and do a proper side to side comparison with Aces. The turn seemed really deep in that Shredz shop video.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #966 on: February 19, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
The turn is crazy deep and responsive. I am going to need some softer bushings than stock. I have some 88a Supercush I might try at some point.

IpathCats

« Reply #967 on: February 19, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »

BUSHINGS

Thanks for the info I'll get this added to the first post.

The turn is crazy deep and responsive. I am going to need some softer bushings than stock. I have some 88a Supercush I might try at some point.

I know I keep harping on this, and I swear I'm not some diehard "bring back the cross" biker guy Indy fanboy.

But I'm gonna laugh my ass off if a good amount of people jump ship from ace to ride these.

I feel like a lot of people will prefer the height on the stage 4's too since most ace riders I see run risers.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #968 on: February 19, 2023, 10:20:35 AM »
I don't know if Ace will loose much business... maybe. I'll certainly be sticking with Ace as I think I prefer the turn... I'll ride these Stage 4s for a few months for novelty value  and then I am going to put them on a Natas reissue where they belong.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #969 on: February 19, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »
I don't know if Ace will loose much business... maybe. I'll certainly be sticking with Ace as I think I prefer the turn... I'll ride these Stage 4s for a few months for novelty value  and then I am going to put them on a Natas reissue where they belong.
Yeah Ace will be fine. I almost feel like NHS should’ve called them something different than Stage 4s, like just take elements from it and give them a new name for people who like to turn more.

Kinda like how Ace has the AFI, I feel like branding them as something new would bring more hype.

logjammin

• Rep: 350
« Reply #970 on: February 19, 2023, 11:30:58 AM »
So to whoever has tried these after the bushings broke in and firmed up. Is the turn better than Ace?

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #971 on: February 19, 2023, 12:21:40 PM »
I’d say so. It’s been a while, but they turn quicker than I remember even Ace Classics turning. Mine also firmed up a lot more than I was expecting, so I loosened them up a bit and they’re good again. Not sure if it’s the shape of the bushing or what, but they feel really stable all the way to wheelbite (on 56mm wheels) when turning. It’s like a really controlled, deep turn.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #972 on: February 19, 2023, 12:45:58 PM »
If they fit on those 215 stage xi baseplates, I wonder if you could throw the stage 4 hangers on some forged plates, the aftermarket inverted kingpin baseplates or even the forged hollow mid baseplates and how each of these would affect kingpin clearance, height and wb extension

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #973 on: February 19, 2023, 12:49:01 PM »
So to whoever has tried these after the bushings broke in and firmed up. Is the turn better than Ace?

Depends what you mean by 'better.' Sharper, deeper? Yes. It will suit some people really well. I think others might not like it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #974 on: February 19, 2023, 12:49:13 PM »
Everyone says they find ACE ‘squirrelly’, but I find Indy stage XIs, when loosened enough to get turny, are way more tippy and unstable. Like you are kind of just balancing on the kingpins.

It’s like the geometry of ACE (Indy stage III) allow them to have a slightly wider, stable center with a beautiful transition into a deep, tight turn.

How are these Stage 4s? Tippy and tight? Or do they have a similar stable center?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #975 on: February 19, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
This is my guy.

What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #976 on: February 19, 2023, 01:48:02 PM »
I swear I saw 2 of the shops close to me listed on the Indy site for Stage 4s but they didn’t get them. Anyone else have that happen to them?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
« Reply #977 on: February 19, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »
I swear I saw 2 of the shops close to me listed on the Indy site for Stage 4s but they didn’t get them. Anyone else have that happen to them?

Labor has them in stock.

Not near you, but they’re available online.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #978 on: February 19, 2023, 03:22:03 PM »
Expand Quote

BUSHINGS
[close]

Thanks for the info I'll get this added to the first post.

Expand Quote
[close]

I know I keep harping on this, and I swear I'm not some diehard "bring back the cross" biker guy Indy fanboy.

But I'm gonna laugh my ass off if a good amount of people jump ship from ace to ride these.

I feel like a lot of people will prefer the height on the stage 4's too since most ace riders I see run risers.

Yeah jock behaviour blows but why say it like it's a bad thing. Some sets have the stamp, other's don't. There are options for everyone.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: February 19, 2023, 04:54:38 PM »
Everyone says they find ACE ‘squirrelly’, but I find Indy stage XIs, when loosened enough to get turny, are way more tippy and unstable. Like you are kind of just balancing on the kingpins.

It’s like the geometry of ACE (Indy stage III) allow them to have a slightly wider, stable center with a beautiful transition into a deep, tight turn.

How are these Stage 4s? Tippy and tight? Or do they have a similar stable center?

I agree with you. That's why in part, I prefer Ace and Thunder to Stage XI.

These Stage 4s are way closer to Ace (Yes, I know who did it first) and the turn is more fluid, consistent and predictable while feeling stableish on center compared to 11s. I like the feel way more than 11s but not as much as Ace. I am still only a few sessions deep on them. I'm probably going to have to replace the bushings  though, as now they are broken in they are way too hard. My 88a supercush bottom bushings seem to be about the same height so that might work.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #980 on: February 19, 2023, 05:25:23 PM »

Jamie Owens is running bones bushings on them and they were flush
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #981 on: February 19, 2023, 06:01:24 PM »
Such a Socal move....

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #982 on: February 19, 2023, 06:10:38 PM »
I bought 3 sets of stage 4’s in 8” axle… don’t judge me.

I mostly flip my board and Ollie. I don’t know how my findings will help anyone, but I’ll report back my findings asap.

I usually run Ace with red Doh-doh’s.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #983 on: February 19, 2023, 07:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you. That's why in part, I prefer Ace and Thunder to Stage XI.

These Stage 4s are way closer to Ace (Yes, I know who did it first) and the turn is more fluid, consistent and predictable while feeling stableish on center compared to 11s. I like the feel way more than 11s but not as much as Ace. I am still only a few sessions deep on them. I'm probably going to have to replace the bushings  though, as now they are broken in they are way too hard. My 88a supercush bottom bushings seem to be about the same height so that might work.

Thanks, that’s exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

Anyone else have similar/different experiences compared to ACE?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #984 on: February 19, 2023, 07:15:00 PM »

I mostly flip my board and Ollie. I don’t know how my findings will help anyone, but I’ll report back my findings asap.

3 sets off the rip…interesting

I’m pretty much only interested in your feedback: I skate 8s, I only flip and ollie.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: February 19, 2023, 07:30:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

3 sets off the rip…interesting

I’m pretty much only interested in your feedback: I skate 8s, I only flip and ollie.

It’s an obsessive thing, honestly.

I buy everything in multiples, and it’s really quite bad.

For me, I always firm up my Ace with harder bushings. If I can get a similar turn, but have a centered firm balance I’ll be happy.

I’m also around 175-180lbs. I feel like that’s an important detail when discussing “responsiveness” or turn in regards to trucks.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #986 on: February 19, 2023, 07:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote

got these 136’s not even 2 hours ago. I set them up on my board, but haven’t had the chance to skate yet. when I stood on it though, they felt like a slightly more stable ace. I think I’m gonna like these a lot. I also forgot how much I prefer solid kingpins over hollow ones once I got these.
[close]

How do you judge stability if the board isn't moving?

I just meant standing, moving side to side. 🤣 but I have skated them since then, and my initial assessment still stands. I do love the carvy turn. but nothing beats S11 forged hollow titanium Indy’s
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #987 on: February 19, 2023, 09:02:24 PM »
*sigh*

It's period correct not to care about kingpins dragging on the sidewalk. I remember digging deep gouges in wooden ledges and mini-ramp decks. I wonder at what point did people become hyper-sensitive about kingpin clearance?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #988 on: February 19, 2023, 09:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
*sigh*
[close]

It's period correct not to care about kingpins dragging on the sidewalk. I remember digging deep gouges in wooden ledges and mini-ramp decks. I wonder at what point did people become hyper-sensitive about kingpin clearance?
When they started doing smiths & feebles on ledges & getting pitched.
Unless the trucks suck, I like to ride them until they’re well into the axle & the top of the king pin & attendant nut are usually just mashed-out nubbins at that point.
Frankly, I rarely notice the kingpin dragging but that likely has more to do with my meager skill set than the height/clearance of it.

I went to two more shops today trying to cop a set of 151s, but struck out yet again. I don’t know why I keep trying to pay full price for these.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2023, 04:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

got these 136’s not even 2 hours ago. I set them up on my board, but haven’t had the chance to skate yet. when I stood on it though, they felt like a slightly more stable ace. I think I’m gonna like these a lot. I also forgot how much I prefer solid kingpins over hollow ones once I got these.
[close]

How do you judge stability if the board isn't moving?
[close]

I just meant standing, moving side to side. 🤣 but I have skated them since then, and my initial assessment still stands. I do love the carvy turn. but nothing beats S11 forged hollow titanium Indy’s

Agreed. I really want to try the stage 4s but no part of me wants them on my regular setup. I've already ruled out aces on that front, def don't need an even deeper turn haha. I would be so inconsistent.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
*sigh*
[close]

[close]
When they started doing smiths & feebles on ledges & getting pitched.
Unless the trucks suck, I like to ride them until they’re well into the axle & the top of the king pin & attendant nut are usually just mashed-out nubbins at that point.
Frankly, I rarely notice the kingpin dragging but that likely has more to do with my meager skill set than the height/clearance of it.

I went to two more shops today trying to cop a set of 151s, but struck out yet again. I don’t know why I keep trying to pay full price for these.

Because you're a good guy