Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309646 times)

Lorem_Ipsum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: bikes
« Reply #1500 on: June 23, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
Did a mixed terrain 40 miler on my Straggler yesterday. 10 Paved up, 10 unpaved up to 6000', and 20 bomb down. No cars. Sun burn and thin air.

Wow looks fuckin lovely! Where are you located?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1501 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »
I live in Portland. This is the east side of Mt Hood.

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1502 on: June 23, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
Thought so. I'm in Portland too - this ride looks great! If you're down I'd love to get a link to your route. It'd be fun to go on a ride with other Pals one of these days

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1503 on: June 23, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
I didn't have my Strava turned on but basically I parked in Parkdale, rode up to Cooper Spur Road and then hit Cloud Cap Road (that's the gravel road). Super simple. Weekday meant no cars and also it looks like Cloud cap will stay closed due to Covid... Saw one other cyclist and a few hikers.

You might like Crown Zellerbach in Scapoose and from there you can hit some logging roads in the coast range.

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1504 on: June 23, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
Oh nice! Currently planning a bikepacking route out that way-ish. Thanks!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1505 on: June 23, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote
sorry for teh double post, but after jamming 40mi fixed on country roads today, I'm thinking about going clipless. I've always had cages or straps because i rode primarily in the city and didn't want to deal with bike shoes. 

any of y'all ride clipless on your fixie?
[close]
I have flats on my steamroller (big ones though). SPD is a nice alterative to clipless, you can even get pretty good looking shoes that allow you to walk when not on the bike. There are also pedals with one flat side and one SPD side. That's what I have on my touring bike.

I've got some pretty wide Odessey BMX pedals with holdfast straps. they're comfortable enough but it's time to try something new. Any suggestions of SPDs and shoes?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1506 on: June 23, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
I have an old Schwinn road bike, it's pretty beat up and one of the gear switches doesn't work.
Would I be dumb for selling it off for 25 bucks? My old roomate gave me it and it's seriously just seems like more of an issue than it's worth, but I know Schwinn frames could be expensive...

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1507 on: June 23, 2020, 01:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sorry for teh double post, but after jamming 40mi fixed on country roads today, I'm thinking about going clipless. I've always had cages or straps because i rode primarily in the city and didn't want to deal with bike shoes. 

any of y'all ride clipless on your fixie?
[close]
I have flats on my steamroller (big ones though). SPD is a nice alterative to clipless, you can even get pretty good looking shoes that allow you to walk when not on the bike. There are also pedals with one flat side and one SPD side. That's what I have on my touring bike.
[close]

I've got some pretty wide Odessey BMX pedals with holdfast straps. they're comfortable enough but it's time to try something new. Any suggestions of SPDs and shoes?

I have Sidi Dominators and love them, a bit slick on tile floors but super light and comfy.  I also used to have some Pearl Izumi's that I rocked for years.  I use any Shimano SPD, but the XT with the platforms are pretty rad for everyday riding.  Look Time Atacs are also super popular with fixed riders.  I've used SPDs for the past ten years, they are super cheap and you can find the cleats everywhere.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1508 on: June 23, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »

Apparently this color Spacehorse is on sale, and I need a drool cup.

That sale price on that one is a steal.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1509 on: June 23, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »
I have an old Schwinn road bike, it's pretty beat up and one of the gear switches doesn't work.
Would I be dumb for selling it off for 25 bucks? My old roomate gave me it and it's seriously just seems like more of an issue than it's worth, but I know Schwinn frames could be expensive...

Is it a chicago schwinn? you could convert to a single speed or fixed gear for the price of a cog and a couple tools. i'm not a very good bike mechanic, but taking one apart is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:21:41 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1510 on: June 23, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »
there are two small screws on the rear of the derailleur: these adjust the inner and outer limits of how far the derailleur can move. if you shift all the way to the biggest or smallest cog you should be able to observe them do their magic as you turn them, and you can adjust them so that the derailleur limits line up with those two cogs. second is cable tension: if, when you're shifting, the chain is slow/hesitant to go to a larger gear, that means you lack cable tension and you need to adjust one of the barrel adjusters (either on the derailler, or sometimes incorporated into the shifter or the frame) by LOOSENING it. if, when you're shifting, the chain is slow/hesitant to go to a smaller gear, that means your cable is too tight -- do the opposite -- tighten any barrel adjusters for that cable. best to go in small increments (1/2 turns or so). if none of that works you might need new cable and/or cable housing, and/or your derailleur hanger is bent... etc. also everything above applies to the rear derailleur. the front works in similar fashion but is more of a pain to adjust (the same principles apply).

if your chain is actually slipping over the teeth, that's a different issue, and means your drivetrain components are worn out. if your chainring (cogs attached to the crank) teeth are "sharp" or pointy rather than squared off, that would be an indication of a severely worn drivetrain where the chain could start slipping. then you need to start replacing parts including the chain, chainrings, rear cassette, and so forth.

Hey thanks for all this info ungzilla you rule. I swear this place makes a noob feel right at home

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1511 on: June 24, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
Did a mixed terrain 40 miler on my Straggler yesterday. 10 Paved up, 10 unpaved up to 6000', and 20 bomb down. No cars. Sun burn and thin air.

wow man that is so cool!

so my neighbor who's been kind of mentoring me on mountain biking a good bit shared this video that i think is better than most you see. some cool shit like nose manual down steep drops and then filmed with drones which i think works way better than follow filming which never looks gnarly and gets boring.

i kind of feel like they need to mic up the rider and maybe mix in some stationary long lens shots but all in all sick video

i've been trying to learn to jump and found the sickest practice spot

want to hit more "natural" jumps but gotta learn the basics first

daditude adjustment

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1512 on: June 25, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »
Hey all,

I got into bikes last year and love it. I've got a hand me down 1980s univega that needs a lot of work and a Brooklyn Roebling which I use pretty often, especially to skate to spots across the city I live in. Anyone have recommendations for an easy way to carry a skateboard on a bike? I had a backpack with straps to carry a board, but my back got way too sweaty way too quickly.

Sorry if this has been raised before, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1513 on: June 25, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
Hey all,

I got into bikes last year and love it. I've got a hand me down 1980s univega that needs a lot of work and a Brooklyn Roebling which I use pretty often, especially to skate to spots across the city I live in. Anyone have recommendations for an easy way to carry a skateboard on a bike? I had a backpack with straps to carry a board, but my back got way too sweaty way too quickly.

Sorry if this has been raised before, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Fairdale and Unheard distro make a vertical carrier that drops down onto a rear rack. Been using mine since 2009, no problems yet.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1514 on: June 25, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »
Looking for some advise as well. Again, I am a bike noob so go easy on me. I am looking for a road bike now to just do some riding and exercise. I ride a bit with my fixie but I want some gears to get around easier. I went to a local shop today and noticed most bikes are entry level.

I saw a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 that was like $840. I looked it upon and saw the reviews were good for an entry level bike. My question is, is it better to get an entry level and replace it with better parts or is it better to just go for the more advance bike that is already complete?

I was actually looking at the Aria which is way higher in price but sort of willing to spend it if is better bang for the buck. I don't mind getting a cheaper bike and even another brand but my biggest fear is I don't want to get a bike and then want to upgrade to another one shortly after. I've done that with camera gear, DJ equipment and even skateboards and wonder bikes are sort of the same thing.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1515 on: June 25, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
Looking for some advise as well. Again, I am a bike noob so go easy on me. I am looking for a road bike now to just do some riding and exercise. I ride a bit with my fixie but I want some gears to get around easier. I went to a local shop today and noticed most bikes are entry level.

I saw a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 that was like $840. I looked it upon and saw the reviews were good for an entry level bike. My question is, is it better to get an entry level and replace it with better parts or is it better to just go for the more advance bike that is already complete?

I was actually looking at the Aria which is way higher in price but sort of willing to spend it if is better bang for the buck. I don't mind getting a cheaper bike and even another brand but my biggest fear is I don't want to get a bike and then want to upgrade to another one shortly after. I've done that with camera gear, DJ equipment and even skateboards and wonder bikes are sort of the same thing.

First thing, make sure it's the correct size for you.  With the lack of bikes available, some shops are pushing people in to what they have.  Second, don't get a bike with Shimano Sora drivetrain, unless thats beyond budget.  Tiagra is fine, 105 is better.   Get a bike that's 2x10 or 2x11 if you can swing it.  Any less gears, and you'll eventually be bummed. 

Just my take, good luck.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: June 25, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »

First thing, make sure it's the correct size for you.  With the lack of bikes available, some shops are pushing people in to what they have.  Second, don't get a bike with Shimano Sora drivetrain, unless thats beyond budget.  Tiagra is fine, 105 is better.   Get a bike that's 2x10 or 2x11 if you can swing it.  Any less gears, and you'll eventually be bummed. 

Just my take, good luck.

Is the Shimano Sora just bad parts? I believe the cheaper bike has a Sora drivetrain and a 2x9. The guy said that’s should be fine but I did question if a 2x10 was better and he just said for what I needed, a 2x9 is fine. Is that just with the 2x10, you’ll have more gears for more different situations like hills and what not?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1517 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Just my take, good luck.
[close]

Sora is a lot of plastic and they wear out faster.  10 speed feels better, works better, lasts longer, and has a way better resale vlaue.  Plus, if you have those gears, you're going to use them. 

Unless you really don't see yourself riding it that much, and can't justify the extra cost, Sora works fine enough.  But no one has ever been mad that they went with the 10 speed.  Plus the wheels are usually upgraded on a bike with ten speed, which should be slightly stronger, lighter, faster.

Is the Shimano Sora just bad parts? I believe the cheaper bike has a Sora drivetrain and a 2x9. The guy said that’s should be fine but I did question if a 2x10 was better and he just said for what I needed, a 2x9 is fine. Is that just with the 2x10, you’ll have more gears for more different situations like hills and what not?

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1518 on: June 25, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Newer Sora is alright, it's obviously not built to the same tolerances as the higher end stuff because it doesn't need to be as precise to to do well with only 9 speeds. My wife's bike has Sora, it works fine so far. Previous generation Sora was quite bad. I would avoid Claris -- which is the new low end groupset for road by Shimano. Everytime I see a bike with that in the wild it looks rusty as shit and I don't even live somewhere salty.

I bought an entry 105-level bike ages ago and rode it forever. Once you reach a certain level (lets say Shimano 105), beyond that you're not really paying for a better functioning bike, only a lighter bike. Something $4000 isn't going to last substantially longer than something that's $2000, it'll just be lighter, more aero, etc. And all the replacement parts will cost more, and parts (especially drivetrain parts) will wear down if you bike a lot.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1519 on: June 25, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. All this is helpful. I emailed another local bike shop and they have some Bianchi bikes with the Shimano 105 parts. I believe it's an older Bianchi but maybe I can try and get a deal off of them.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #1520 on: June 25, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
i`ll second everyone saying that 105 is a pretty damn good groupset, had one for a long time too.
i would highly suggest going to several shops, trying various brands and just trying out positions on various geometries.
and goddamn, i`d love to own a Bianchi in a Celeste colorway some day (why would anyone buy a Bianchi in another colorway?), but unless you´re buying their high-end models i always feel like they are under-spec´d for the price.

vindogg

« Reply #1521 on: June 25, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. All this is helpful. I emailed another local bike shop and they have some Bianchi bikes with the Shimano 105 parts. I believe it's an older Bianchi but maybe I can try and get a deal off of them.

Wow, cool to see a bike community on slap. I started out cross country mtbing with my dad from about age 6 to 12, when I started skating and competitive road cycling for years. Im now back mtbing again and its probably my favorite thing aside from skating. Given their parallels, such as having the ability to choose your own lines, pumping, getting air and doing drops and gaps. I would wholly recommend you consider getting a mtb rather than a road bike if their are trails in your area?

I worked in a bike shop for 3 years as a mechanic/sales person and what the others have said about bikes holds true in my experience. Newer Tiagra is actually almost identical to the 105 5800, which I had on a TT bike 5 years ago, it never skipped a beat but new 105 is still going to be better. Sora is still going to be worse, esp. Front derailleur.Tyres are also the first thing you should consider upgrading, followed by wheels, bars/stem then saddle. Continental gp4000s2 were always my favorite. Gatrorskins are better if you ride in a city.  A good pair of bike shorts is also essential, dont be skint with what you buy, your balls and sciatica will thank you for it.

Buying a new bike from a bike shop is good for two reasons, you know the bike has not been mistreated and you can form a relationship with your mechanic so that your bike gets the best possible care. Aside from that, if you can be bothered taking the time to learn how to maintain and repair a bike, you are going to be much much better off. Not only is it easy to learn, it is quite therapeutic and will save you a LOT of money.

However, if you want a wayyyy better bike for the same price as your $850 bianchi, (bianchi has had a long run making bikes and has sponsored many of the greats btw, good choice) you should consider secondhand. The two downsides to that are that if you take the bike to a shop for repair they wont be as enthusiastic to see you, (like getting your local to grip a deck you got online) and you have no idea what the owner's maintenance regime, riding style and mechanical sympathy were like. If you like you can post pics/listings on here and I will do my best to see if the bike looks in good shape, there are a few tell-tale signs if someone doesnt give a fuck about their bike and doesnt clean it. That's not going to be a substitute for looking at the bike fr though.

Finally, do try and get a deal off them if you buy new, negotiating a price for a bike  was honestly the best part of working at a bike shop for me. And without going into specifics, the margins on bike stuff are huge so there is almost always room to get a better deal.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:25:17 PM by vindogg »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1522 on: June 26, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
^^^^^Good info. Ironically the shop I went to said they would give me a year of cover with any maintenance on the bike. I see what you are saying about your relationship with your mechanic cause I thought that was a rad incentive in getting a bike from them. I am also looking on Craigslist but I am not seeing a lot of bikes that fit what I want. I'll see if I can get a deal from a shop. Even if they got rid of tax, that would be a deal enough to pull the trigger.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1523 on: June 26, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
^^^^^Good info. Ironically the shop I went to said they would give me a year of cover with any maintenance on the bike. I see what you are saying about your relationship with your mechanic cause I thought that was a rad incentive in getting a bike from them. I am also looking on Craigslist but I am not seeing a lot of bikes that fit what I want. I'll see if I can get a deal from a shop. Even if they got rid of tax, that would be a deal enough to pull the trigger.

Ditching tax would be great.  With the bike shortage, my shop is not making any deals, as there are so many people looking for bikes.  I sold a sold an entry level road bike wednesday for $150 dollars more than I could have a year ago.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1524 on: June 26, 2020, 03:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ditching tax would be great.  With the bike shortage, my shop is not making any deals, as there are so many people looking for bikes.  I sold a sold an entry level road bike wednesday for $150 dollars more than I could have a year ago.

Everything is pretty much fresh out where I am as well. Likewise, I got an insane deal on my current road bike last year, looking into selling it and could probably get 3-400 more than I originally spent. Hoping the nationwide stoke on bikes continues and that people keep biking around cities/to work in the future.

vindogg

« Reply #1525 on: June 26, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's great for humanity in general I suppose, I always thought people wouldn't be in such foul mood all the time if they just rode a bike.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1526 on: June 26, 2020, 11:38:54 PM »
So I pulled the trigger at a local SF bike shop near Haight St called American Cyclery. They had the Bianchi Aria that has the Shamano Ultegra components and with disk brakes. I think retail is about $3200-$3400. They told me it was their demo bike used at bike shoes and they offered it to me for $2699. So I felt like I got a good deal since the bike is super clean still. I wonder why they even offered it so low considering the demand for bikes but I jumped on it and am hyped. Don't have any pedal clips or if I should go clipless but I am going on a bike run tomorrow morning to just get a feel of it.   
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1527 on: June 27, 2020, 01:20:42 AM »
Sounds like a good deal on the bike, hopefully it’s an enjoyable ride Fongstarr

Edit: I totally forgot, I had to paint match a Bianchi frame for work the other day. Hard to get but the guy was stoked on the result I managed for his bike rack
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:28:07 AM by Paco Supreme »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1528 on: June 27, 2020, 01:27:29 AM »
Next Tuesday I have a phone meeting in my bike shop considering a new build. The last time I checked I only saw there bikes with SRAM systems and I was wondering if a sram rival is any worse or better than a 105. my main concern is the durability I gotta say.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1529 on: June 27, 2020, 01:56:39 AM »
So I pulled the trigger at a local SF bike shop near Haight St called American Cyclery. They had the Bianchi Aria that has the Shamano Ultegra components and with disk brakes. I think retail is about $3200-$3400. They told me it was their demo bike used at bike shoes and they offered it to me for $2699. So I felt like I got a good deal since the bike is super clean still. I wonder why they even offered it so low considering the demand for bikes but I jumped on it and am hyped. Don't have any pedal clips or if I should go clipless but I am going on a bike run tomorrow morning to just get a feel of it.
I got my first ever road bike 3months ago, I rode it with normal pedals for the first 500kilometers. My local shop had these shimano shoes + clipless pedals on sale while I was there for other business so I copped them just to see what’s the hype and now after 200km’s I just love them, so much easier/faster ride.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.