Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309639 times)

potpie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Re: bikes
« Reply #1590 on: July 13, 2020, 06:58:00 AM »
All it does is rain here as well. then really hot and humid and then more rain.  I would really like to get out to the trails.
Yup I feel you on this. I’ve been thinking of grabbing fenders? Seems like the only reason to to not ride in the wet is slippery trail conditions, but surely there must be a tire solution for that.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1591 on: July 13, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
This is my bike, a steel Soma DoubleCross that I bought on Craigslist on Jan. 1 for $380 (!). I got really lucky finding this, and have been riding it almost every day to work, for fun, etc. The original owner had got a new road bike, and threw the components onto the Soma - so I walked away with this bike with Sram Apex 2x with a carbon fork, Fizik saddle, and Chris King Headset (!!). I recently threw on a new set of Hunt wheels, with a 35mm tubeless setup that I am really enjoying. If you see it/or me around Portland, OR say whats up!

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1592 on: July 14, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
This is my bike, a steel Soma DoubleCross that I bought on Craigslist on Jan. 1 for $380 (!). I got really lucky finding this, and have been riding it almost every day to work, for fun, etc. The original owner had got a new road bike, and threw the components onto the Soma - so I walked away with this bike with Sram Apex 2x with a carbon fork, Fizik saddle, and Chris King Headset (!!). I recently threw on a new set of Hunt wheels, with a 35mm tubeless setup that I am really enjoying. If you see it/or me around Portland, OR say whats up!

You.  Scored.  Bravo.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1593 on: July 20, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
Would anyone else in here be interested in a Slap cycling jersey? I'm willing to do the leg work and find some vendor options and find some pricing. Obviously the more people the cheaper it would become. Wanted to gauge interest.

Super rough mocks I did with procreate on my iPad, not in any means final design.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1594 on: July 20, 2020, 11:08:18 AM »
Would anyone else in here be interested in a Slap cycling jersey? I'm willing to do the leg work and find some vendor options and find some pricing. Obviously the more people the cheaper it would become. Wanted to gauge interest.

Super rough mocks I did with procreate on my iPad, not in any means final design.

Whoa. I am in the market for a cycling jersey. I'd be down but I'd be more into it if the Slap logo was just a small chest graphic. I actually do think the graphic big looks better but I feel like it'd be like wearing a target on my chest. Haha.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1595 on: July 20, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
If it's full zip and not a super tight race cut, i'm interested.  Will not commit until graphic finalized, but I'm interested.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1596 on: July 20, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Those are pretty cool, and although I know it's the msg board type face, there are graphics from old magazine covers or t-shirts that I appreciate more. Bomb Hills Not Countries could be sick on a bike jersey...b

but either way,thanks for coming up with these
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1597 on: July 20, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »
Just wanted to spark the convo/idea. Figured some image would get more attention. I’m open to other graphics for sure.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1598 on: July 20, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »

I would be hyped on this please make this happen.....

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1599 on: July 20, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
Echoing the hype on a SLAP jersey. I don’t have a creative/design savvy bone in my body so I’ll leave that up to those more talented than I, but I will rock whatever the final product is and am down to contribute funds as needed. 

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1600 on: July 21, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
Yep, absolutely on board with this, Arrbee. Thanks for drafting this up by the way. Looks great. I agree with a couple of other posters in that maybe the SLAP logo on the front should be shrunken down, maybe moved to the left breast. I am also for a non-race type fit, if that option is available. Maybe grey on the sleeves instead of blue? I'm personally just more of a neutral color guy but whatever works for the majority of people in here I'd be down with. Thanks again for the initial draft and excited to see what comes of this. I'll also chip in to the pot o' money of course!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1601 on: July 21, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
Too big of a logo for my personal taste. I'd be down, but won't commit until final design.

Personally, I like cool patterns and color combos with small simple logos (think #raphacustoms inspiration on IG).
Maybe a cool pattern based on different board silhouettes? Tasteful while still giving a nod to our four-wheeled hobby. 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1602 on: July 21, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
helped my gf pick out a 12 yo hard tail.  Pretty much new, gary fisher.  Ordering surly open bars for it, give her a stem extender i have.  I think get a ss converter kit too and eventually a rigid fork.   its gonna be dope.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1603 on: July 23, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
I'd be down for a Slap Jersey !

I wanted to bring back my bike to Brittany from Paris without taking the train so I re-did the Veloscenie (Paris-Mont St Michel) route, this time over three days instead of four like last time and with very little stuff. Last time was in November a year ago and my bike was heavy as fuck and it wasn't always fun. I slept both nights in cheap local hotels (credit card tour) but I figured I could add my camping stuff without addind much more than  a handlebar bag; will probably do that in the next few weeks for a tour with friends. I thouroughly enjoyed it this time ! Long days on the saddle (10h or so) but it's pretty empty and super beautiful the whole way. I had some amazing weather too.

Here's my bike in front of my place :

A couple of castles along the way :

Here's my bike in fronnt of the Mont St Michel

boring strava stuff :

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3 :

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1604 on: July 23, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

I wanted to bring back my bike to Brittany from Paris without taking the train so I re-did the Veloscenie (Paris-Mont St Michel) route, this time over three days instead of four like last time and with very little stuff. Last time was in November a year ago and my bike was heavy as fuck and it wasn't always fun. I slept both nights in cheap local hotels (credit card tour) but I figured I could add my camping stuff without addind much more than  a handlebar bag; will probably do that in the next few weeks for a tour with friends. I thouroughly enjoyed it this time ! Long days on the saddle (10h or so) but it's pretty empty and super beautiful the whole way. I had some amazing weather too.

boring strava stuff :

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3 :

What a rad ride!

I did Los Angeles -> New York last year with two full panniers, stuff on top of that, and a small handlebar bag and it was fine but planning a much shorter SF -> LA ride later this year and want to travel much lighter similar to this. I'd still be camping, which it doesn't sound like you did, but need to start researching some frame bags.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1605 on: July 23, 2020, 02:06:00 PM »
I didn't camp this time, as I had very limited time and wanted to go a bit faster. I have another trip with friends lined up early august and this time we'll camp. I think if I ditch the cooking stove & ustensils I'll manage to fit everything with just an added handlebar bag (need to make tests). I got the apidura frame bag for this trip and it's really great. I had my 2l hydratation pack in it, and there's still a ton of space left ! it's the 12l version. Just check which version fits your frame (7,5 ; 12 or 15).

A transcontinental trip like SF-NY is a dream, I'll try to do something of the sort in Europe next year; there are a ton of 6000+ routes to choose from.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1606 on: July 23, 2020, 07:23:33 PM »
I never have and still do not want to ride a bike, but may have to. Closed gyms are making me fat. Home weightlifting and skating aren’t cutting it and I can’t run because of my knee. What do i even look for can yall recommend a regular ass cheap bike for me to hate-ride.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1607 on: July 23, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
I never have and still do not want to ride a bike, but may have to. Closed gyms are making me fat. Home weightlifting and skating aren’t cutting it and I can’t run because of my knee. What do i even look for can yall recommend a regular ass cheap bike for me to hate-ride.

As most bike shops are out low-end bikes due to tons of people picking up cycling due to COVID, since all you want to do is ride for cardio, I'd suggest a hybrid/townie bike. Even a mountain bike. Something in a more relaxed position for you. Avoid a fixed gear as that might be too much for your knee.

Ebay/OfferUp/Craigslist might be your best bet for something cheap.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1608 on: July 24, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »

some people might say otherwise, but throwing together a cheap fixed gear or single speed is the way to go. I've got knee issues and riding fixed helps strengthen everything around the knee, taking pressure off the joints and ligaments.

this piece speaks to it quite a bit https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-knees.html

Cardiel rehabed his back riding a fixie.

What's best about riding a fixed gear bike is that you can beat on it and to me, because i'm always in motion and there aren't many components to get in the way, it's the closest thing to skating that's not a skateboard. Seriously, bomb a hill fixed. It's gnar.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1609 on: July 24, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
Damn tumulishoomaroom......that 4th pic is beautiful. Would love to go there.

These state bikes are pretty damn cheap if you aren't looking for anything specific: https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line

So apparently there is a whole subculture of biking I was unaware of with all these Throne bikes or what not. I got notice that a group of these guys were trying to go over the Bay Bridge and decided to just go for the photos. There was about 50 of them but the cops caught notice and sort of shadowed them around at Treasure Island. When they got close to the freeway entrance, about 7 of them decided to go pass the cop and road across the bridge in traffic. Thought I'd share.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2535
« Reply #1610 on: July 24, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

some people might say otherwise, but throwing together a cheap fixed gear or single speed is the way to go. I've got knee issues and riding fixed helps strengthen everything around the knee, taking pressure off the joints and ligaments.

this piece speaks to it quite a bit https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-knees.html

Cardiel rehabed his back riding a fixie.

What's best about riding a fixed gear bike is that you can beat on it and to me, because i'm always in motion and there aren't many components to get in the way, it's the closest thing to skating that's not a skateboard. Seriously, bomb a hill fixed. It's gnar.

Sheldon Brown...what a legend. His website helped me figure out a bunch of shit around cycling. RIP.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1611 on: July 24, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »

boring strava stuff :

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3 :

You fortunate bastard.  Well done.  Very envious.   Post about that next trip too.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1612 on: July 24, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »
[/quote/]   

26 inch wheel rigid moutain bike but its gotta be clean and the frame has to fit you.  Then turn it into a single speed (not a fixie).  Get some dope grips and a stem extender to raise your bars so you can look around and see the world. Aerodynamics don't come into play till about 40 kms per hour so don't worry about that shit. Maybe get some wide semi slick tires.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:25:29 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1613 on: July 24, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

These state bikes are pretty damn cheap if you aren't looking for anything specific: https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line

So apparently there is a whole subculture of biking I was unaware of with all these Throne bikes or what not. I got notice that a group of these guys were trying to go over the Bay Bridge and decided to just go for the photos. There was about 50 of them but the cops caught notice and sort of shadowed them around at Treasure Island. When they got close to the freeway entrance, about 7 of them decided to go pass the cop and road across the bridge in traffic. Thought I'd share.

that shit is dope. i get that it's not cool for traffic, but damn, that's got to be a gnarly fucking ride of the bridge. gaddamn.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #1614 on: July 25, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations dudes

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1615 on: July 25, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »

Hey VHS Era, I might have a 10 speed clunker for super cheap or a trade. If you don't find what you're looking for on Craigslist or somewhere else DM me. I'm in Queens.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1616 on: July 25, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »
Surly build is complete - ended up going with a custom build due to parts I had laying around, stuff I found cheap on craiglist, etc. Really interesting and rewarding process building it up from a frameset and doing all the cutting, measuring, bleeding, and adjusting. Probably fucked some stuff up, can already tell brakes will need a top-off, but I guess that's part of the fun.

50/34 up front with an 11-36 in the back, hydraulic brakes, Ultegra shifters + FD and clutched Ultegra RX rear derailleur. 650b x 48 Gravelking SKs set up tubeless. Final build cost ended up ~300 more than the stock build. Absolute tank compared to my road bike, but should be pretty bulletproof. Stoked to get it on the trails.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1617 on: July 26, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

I saw MASH’s ig shared your photo. Were they just doing it to do it? Or was there a cause they were trying to promote?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #1618 on: July 26, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »
So i‘m on my way home from work on my bike and stop at a Red light. Next to me is this delivery guy on his bike as well.
Behind us is this dude in a big SUV. Lights turn green an obviously it took us a second to leave with the bikes.

Dude in the suv honks and overtakes us at  a spot where overtaking is Forbidden.

Delivery guy Flips him the bird.

Delvery guy turns right next street.

Next red light guess who is waiting in front... SUV dude.

I overtake him and now i‘m in front.

He‘s right behind me.

Lights turn green, and OF course i wait a few seconds extra to piss him off.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

Suddenly he rams his car into my backwheel

I look at him like wtf...

My wheel is stuck under his car.

He reverses and my bike comes loose again

He grins and takes off.

Surprisingly i could take a pic of his license plate.

I dont now how but my backwheel with is just slightly warped, nothing i can‘t fix myself.

Filed a police report and now he‘s  up for

–speeding
–honking im an non honking area
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

Am I overreacting by filing a report?
I meam what if i fall and break my skull?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:28:41 PM by pica »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1619 on: July 26, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I saw MASH’s ig shared your photo. Were they just doing it to do it? Or was there a cause they were trying to promote?

This sounds dumb but it was for someone’s birthday and that’s why they were doing it. But these guys all ride in packs where I don’t think it matters. Just something to do. It could be part promotion for some. One of the kids that went over is sponsored and uses all these videos to tag his sponsors who then posts it.

The real reason why they messed up is cause they did this like days before going the other direction. They should have waited a bit longer.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin