Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25600 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

whorific

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2022, 01:37:18 PM »
Jocks posing as skateboarders , too cool guys, Zumiez , Skateparks not streets and pools, the Man co opted the revolutionary spirit of skateboarding and built you little dog parks everywhere to shit in
" I did not say this I am not here"

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2022, 01:52:20 PM »
The clips I rewatch the most are whatever ones are in people's signatures on this forum.

switchfakie

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
constantly feeling like im not good enough. just learned how to slide front noses really long and now my boy already has front crooks. i'm always one step behind the homies.

also it seems like there are only extremely good people and extremely bad/beginner skaters. i've been stuck in this state of being a solid intermediate skater for a while now even though i have a solid bag of tricks

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »

Unfortunately true. I remember all the Army ads in Transworld and thinking they were really out of place.

Man I remember going to the x games when I first started skating. Just so much free promo products from all the sponsors including the army booth which have me a dog tag and sticker, n I put on a helmet. Smh just kinda cringy

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »
Echoing the sentiment of others, good parts and videos that people worked hard on just getting lost in the sauce. Nothing resonates and gets re-watched, it is kind of like farting into a gust of wind at this point.

I still watch this every week.

IG: @flowterspace

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2022, 03:39:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The most depressing thing right now is watching the US Military being subtly packaged with skateboarding to impressionable young skateboarders.

Firstly, massive respect to all well-intentioned soldiers who enlisted with a willingness to put their life on the line to protect others. Also, I think we should do way more to take care of our veterans and show appreciation for their sacrifice. In addition to those thoughts, it's clear that our military isn't used for self-defense any more. We're taking well-intentioned teenagers and having them enforce a type of world order that is awful for many ordinary people all over the world. So it's depressing to see a board company like 'Thrash N' Raid', an all military veteran skate team, gaining traction in the skate community and being hosted by the likes of Etnies while pushing their influence through social media.

Thrash N' Raid glorifies war with its branding and clumsily co-opts well known aspects of skateboarding and pop culture: Thrasher, In N Out Fast Food framed inside a machine gun, Disney stickers, Punk Rock themed T Shirts, Comic Book themed boards, etc. Doubtful they'll get sued, as who wants the negative PR from suing a bunch of military veterans, right? Young skaters see this and it has the effect of normalizing all things military and making it seem cool.
[close]

This is not new. Magazines in the 2000s were littered with military ads as well as video games promoting them (CoD, Seal Team Six, Medal of Honor, etc.)
[close]

Unfortunately true. I remember all the Army ads in Transworld and thinking they were really out of place.
[close]

I remember flipping from a Baker ad to a military one and thinking: "YEP, this is the one that convinced me. I'm going to sign up to get my nuts blown off by an IED now. Thanks military marketing team!"

2:45 ->
Too bad Nieratko didn't raise enough money to buy Transworld some integrity

Brguy

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »
constantly feeling like im not good enough. just learned how to slide front noses really long and now my boy already has front crooks. i'm always one step behind the homies.

also it seems like there are only extremely good people and extremely bad/beginner skaters. i've been stuck in this state of being a solid intermediate skater for a while now even though i have a solid bag of tricks
How old are you? This feeling quickly went away for me as time passed, met new people, some old friends stopped skating, some new friends were unbelievably good, it's just the way it is, what matters is how you feel when you're grinding that ledge. Also it's better to have gnarly friends who push you than lazy friends who only bring the vibes down.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2022, 04:47:09 PM »
Most depressing thing is AA, Jamie Griffin, Jonny Giger hate. Skateboarding is on some jock shit.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2022, 05:18:46 PM »
Steve Berra. Always

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2022, 05:31:54 PM »
Nike still in skateboarding

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
- Too afraid to go to the park.

I moved cities a few years ago and all my friends live 120 miles away. I don't know anyone here and have no history with them.

I'm turning 40 this year, I was "ok" at best 20 years ago and after busting my knees skating my skills definitely did not progress. I'm not a "people's guy" either and I'm afraid of getting ridiculed at the park ...

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2022, 05:50:35 PM »
I think it's the fact that people feel the need to film a bunch or stuff at skateparks. Not just kids, everyone. It's not always a problem, but some people feel like entitled to more attempts/time skating the obstacle because they're trying to post some shit to their ig story.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »
- Too afraid to go to the park.

I moved cities a few years ago and all my friends live 120 miles away. I don't know anyone here and have no history with them.

I'm turning 40 this year, I was "ok" at best 20 years ago and after busting my knees skating my skills definitely did not progress. I'm not a "people's guy" either and I'm afraid of getting ridiculed at the park ...
Dude. I'm right there with you. I moved far from my home town a few years back, and always had skate park anxiety. But I tell you straight up, what sealed the deal for me was going early mid week to the park. There's no one there, and when someone does pull up it another version of you, olderguy, diminished skills, etc... plus it's my experience that no one is watching you at the skate park, we suck and no one caresabout our sick ass bigspins and nose slides. Tldr, skate when and how you want dude, this shit ain't football, just havefun.
Whoa. Danger.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »
If skateboarding hasn’t kicked you to the curb by now….it’s not going to.  The level of skating has gone down, way more beginners, way more old guys……best case scenario it’s a chance to connect with new people.  Worst case… no one cares….no back pats….you’ll just have to quietly giggle to yourself that you’re a middle aged man riding around on a skateboard….

livin on a speyer

« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
Nike

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2022, 05:10:24 PM »

I never really felt this. I picked up skateboarding really late (HS sophmore) and i was damn awful at it since i was doing homework all the time. Felt bad to suck but i loved this shit too much to put it down. Fast-fwd and everyone else has pretty much quit, and I'm still so stoked i get to do this. As long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

Faxmachine

« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »
Pontus Alv naming things 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Echoing the sentiment of others, good parts and videos that people worked hard on just getting lost in the sauce. Nothing resonates and gets re-watched, it is kind of like farting into a gust of wind at this point.
[close]

I still watch this every week.

Thank you

Welpok

• Rep: 13
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2022, 09:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I never really felt this. I picked up skateboarding really late (HS sophmore) and i was damn awful at it since i was doing homework all the time. Felt bad to suck but i loved this shit too much to put it down. Fast-fwd and everyone else has pretty much quit, and I'm still so stoked i get to do this. As long as you're having fun that's all that matters.
Agreed with this post. As you get older more people will stop skating or skate less. But you are still doing what you like! Just enjoy the ride because one day will be the last time you ride a board.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2022, 06:20:13 AM »

I still feel this to an extent. I’m definitely stuck in the almost intermediate category and I feel like I’m stuck there or I’m just not as good as my homies. I was kinda feeling like this until I started doing a few tricks and maneuvers like Ollie manual up the euro around to another bank and carving frontside in a bowl and one of the older guys gives me props for doing that kind of stuff and it makes you realize what you can do that other people can’t (yet).

I’m also at this weird point with injuries where I’m scared of everything and I’m having to relearn a lot of tricks over and over and it gets frustrating and depressing sometimes. But I think it’s also best for me to slow down a bit and focus on the basics again so I can get back to where I was comfortably.

Long tangent aside, it does suck being the permanent intermediate sometimes, but you’ll surprise yourself and others when you really feel like you’re getting better and pushing yourself instead of staying in your comfort zone.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2022, 06:50:02 AM »

man, really i feel you on that inbetweener thing.

at my local, there seems to be two camps of people, basically:

a) still learning to ollie and
b) probably good enough to have been flow in the early 2000s.

there's hardly anyone in my bracket of 'competent but not great'. i guess people start and either turn out to be naturals and then go on and get good, or just quit fairly quickly.

not many of us who have no fucking natural talent whatsoever but relentlessly battled away to at least not be shit, lol.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2022, 07:03:22 AM »
Skateboarding is run by a bunch of middle aged and older white dudes…..

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2022, 07:25:27 AM »

Bro if the homies rip and you're one step behind that means you rip too

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2022, 07:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

man, really i feel you on that inbetweener thing.

at my local, there seems to be two camps of people, basically:

a) still learning to ollie and
b) probably good enough to have been flow in the early 2000s.

there's hardly anyone in my bracket of 'competent but not great'. i guess people start and either turn out to be naturals and then go on and get good, or just quit fairly quickly.

not many of us who have no fucking natural talent whatsoever but relentlessly battled away to at least not be shit, lol.

Hahaha very true. People in our category are stubborn like mules but we also have an edge when it comes to skating different shit. It feels good to an extent because I’ve learned a lot of techniques and little tricks and they come natural even though I don’t have every trick and can’t skate every obstacle.

pops

• Rep: 247
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2022, 07:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I still feel this to an extent. I’m definitely stuck in the almost intermediate category and I feel like I’m stuck there or I’m just not as good as my homies. I was kinda feeling like this until I started doing a few tricks and maneuvers like Ollie manual up the euro around to another bank and carving frontside in a bowl and one of the older guys gives me props for doing that kind of stuff and it makes you realize what you can do that other people can’t (yet).

I’m also at this weird point with injuries where I’m scared of everything and I’m having to relearn a lot of tricks over and over and it gets frustrating and depressing sometimes. But I think it’s also best for me to slow down a bit and focus on the basics again so I can get back to where I was comfortably.

Long tangent aside, it does suck being the permanent intermediate sometimes, but you’ll surprise yourself and others when you really feel like you’re getting better and pushing yourself instead of staying in your comfort zone.
I stopped caring how good I am versus my buddies ever since I got injured. I had a long run of injuries and rehab and never really felt like I could ever skate the same level I did previously. Took me a while to find the fun again since I had to convert into different type of skating. My buddies like to skate mostly flatground and tech curb stuff so I'm not really feeling the sessions with them. I'd just rather go push the streets or skate a parking lot by myself. I must seem like an asshole to my friends but they just don't get it.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 79
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2022, 08:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was kinda feeling like this until I started doing a few tricks and maneuvers like Ollie manual up the euro around to another bank and carving frontside in a bowl and one of the older guys gives me props for doing that kind of stuff and it makes you realize what you can do that other people can’t (yet).

Once you start pushing 40, the secret to skating is just really realy good at like, 4, maybe 5 tricks and just do those all the time. The rest just kind of falls into place.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2022, 08:13:33 AM »
If skateboarding hasn’t kicked you to the curb by now….it’s not going to.  The level of skating has gone down, way more beginners, way more old guys……best case scenario it’s a chance to connect with new people.  Worst case… no one cares….no back pats….you’ll just have to quietly giggle to yourself that you’re a middle aged man riding around on a skateboard….

This is the truth. The reality is that no one cares about you or your skating. If you made it to ~30 as a skateboarding hobbyist, you should be well past the age of judging lame-o's at the skatepark. The bad vibes you remember from when you were 14 and eager to be accepted, and your town had 25 skaters who all knew each other but not you - that's a thing of the past.

As for sucking - I totally suck. My ankles are so fucked that I can barely kickflip anymore, I have lower back pains from my stupid desk jockey lifestyle, my feet are always cramped, I can hardly even carve frontside - and I am, at 41, easily better than 95% of the over-30 skaters I see at the skatepark. I see your clips - the average Slap poster is better than I am.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I was kinda feeling like this until I started doing a few tricks and maneuvers like Ollie manual up the euro around to another bank and carving frontside in a bowl and one of the older guys gives me props for doing that kind of stuff and it makes you realize what you can do that other people can’t (yet).

[close]

Once you start pushing 40, the secret to skating is just really realy good at like, 4, maybe 5 tricks and just do those all the time. The rest just kind of falls into place.

And having good flow, which you should have because, at this point, you've probably been skating for at least 25 years. Roll in over the coping - let 'er rip.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2022, 11:06:08 AM »
instagram park footy "psst no one cares , pass it on"
" I did not say this I am not here"