Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797541 times)

flocke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7200 on: December 01, 2023, 12:14:11 AM »
bones x97 vs x99

currently on bones x97 and loving them so far. especially because i can have longer sessions without having back or knee pain.

but thinking about switching to x99 for the better slideability. Is it worth it or is the slideability almost the same? 

Asking because main focus is still on impact absorption but a little better slide would be nice.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:46:30 AM by flocke »

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7201 on: December 01, 2023, 12:37:05 AM »
bones x97 vs x99

currently on bones x97 and loving them so far. especially because i can have longer sessions without having back or knee pain.

but thinking about switching to x99 for the better slideability. Is it worth it or is the slideability almost the same? 

Asking because main focus is still on impact absorbation but a little better slide would be nice.

Both are great, but X99 outperforms the former. Yes, they slide better, and yes, they are also faster.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7202 on: December 01, 2023, 06:36:37 AM »
Expand Quote
bones x97 vs x99

Asking because main focus is still on impact absorbation but a little better slide would be nice.
[close]

Both are great, but X99 outperforms the former. Yes, they slide better, and yes, they are also faster.
better shock absorption with the x99s?
shouldnt make sense but if its true ill try a set
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rikki

« Reply #7203 on: December 01, 2023, 06:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bones x97 vs x99

[close]

[close]
better shock absorption with the x99s?
shouldnt make sense but if its true ill try a set

No discernible difference in my opinion.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7204 on: December 01, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »
bones x97 vs x99

Asking because main focus is still on impact absorption but a little better slide would be nice.
Yerp. I bought some x99 after riding x97 for a few. Months. And after one week I’m back on x97’s

The x99s were noticeably harder and more chattery. Def hurt my feet a little more.

As for sliding, they are not that much more slidey. They feel pretty much the same as x97. Just, harder and more chirpy.

I don’t think I’ll ever go back to x99. If I want harder wheel I’d do STF or SPF.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7205 on: December 01, 2023, 12:54:50 PM »
bones x97 vs x99

I find the x99s less sticky, and better feeling as they are harder and louder. Absorption is damn near the same but obviously the x97s would be better because they're softer....

I mean you start at x/93a....x97....x99 (x101.....x103...etc..) of course the benefits will be less the harder you go, with any wheel, regardless of brand.

Slides and rebound not withstanding, after a week back on spit 99a, my knees and feet won out and I'm back on x99s.

The x97 is going to be the sweetspot for most people, and I could go x97 without any real worry (I just wouldn't bluntside as much); the x99s feel and sound 'more normal' and that has a pretty big phycological effect (like running your board with wheels not jiggly vs tighter).

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7206 on: December 01, 2023, 01:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote
bones x97 vs x99

[close]

I find the x99s less sticky, and better feeling as they are harder and louder. Absorption is damn near the same but obviously the x97s would be better because they're softer....

I mean you start at x/93a....x97....x99 (x101.....x103...etc..) of course the benefits will be less the harder you go, with any wheel, regardless of brand.

Slides and rebound not withstanding, after a week back on spit 99a, my knees and feet won out and I'm back on x99s.

The x97 is going to be the sweetspot for most people, and I could go x97 without any real worry (I just wouldn't bluntside as much); the x99s feel and sound 'more normal' and that has a pretty big phycological effect (like running your board with wheels not jiggly vs tighter).
X97 is a sweet spot. Fo sho.

I did find x99 to not be that much easier to powerslide. To be fair I’m not doing blunt slides anymore… but I’ll give a good try on a flat ground blunt slide to see what the x99 is like vs. the x97.

I’m not sure which wheel I’d prefer if I was younger. Back then I didn’t give a shit, and would just roll whatever was on sale. (Except spitfire… that OG formula flat spots horribly easy)

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7207 on: December 01, 2023, 04:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bones x97 vs x99

[close]

[close]
X97 is a sweet spot. Fo sho.

I did find x99 to not be that much easier to powerslide. To be fair I’m not doing blunt slides anymore… but I’ll give a good try on a flat ground blunt slide to see what the x99 is like vs. the x97.

I’m not sure which wheel I’d prefer if I was younger. Back then I didn’t give a shit, and would just roll whatever was on sale. (Except spitfire… that OG formula flat spots horribly easy)

Went out with both x97 and x99 - weirdly enough, this one spot had the x97s speed checking much louder (these are launch x97s that have been sitting) - everywhere else the x99s sounded better.

Picked up some V6 54mm (!) x99s in black (bigger boy wheels) - I wanted blk and the sidecut so V5s were out...the 53 v1 x99s kept slipping out of front crooks.

flocke

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7208 on: December 03, 2023, 05:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote
bones x97 vs x99

[close]
Yerp. I bought some x99 after riding x97 for a few. Months. And after one week I’m back on x97’s

The x99s were noticeably harder and more chattery. Def hurt my feet a little more.

As for sliding, they are not that much more slidey. They feel pretty much the same as x97. Just, harder and more chirpy.

I don’t think I’ll ever go back to x99. If I want harder wheel I’d do STF or SPF.

i think i will stay on x97 then if the impact absorption is better (more of the softer feeling) and there is not much difference in slideability compared to the x99.

As you mentioned maybe its a good idea to just get the stf 103 as an back up wheel when you need it.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7209 on: December 03, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to confirm you are on the 59mm 99 duro wheels there?

A lot of people have been getting the 58mm 97 duro Radial Full and loving the feel of them on more slippery or rough surfaces, so I could see how they would work.

Those T Funk red ones are also 60mm 97 duro too, which I know you had mentioned.
[close]

Yessir, the normal 99a 59s. Wanted to see if these work first before trying the 97a.

Hopefully they make some more 97a 60s but white next time. Would smang.

Or maybe they'll hear Fleas cry for some 60+... Could you imagine some 63s???
[close]

62mm and 66.6mm Classic F4 99a coming Spring 2024 drop 1.

Bet.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7210 on: December 03, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Here at last is the @Uncle Flea pro model wheel that the prophets have long told our people of.
Flea, this must be a very proud moment for you.
Matt Reason fans rejoice!

Yes!!! Lol

I'm sooooo glad I waited to get wheels. I knew my patience would pay off.

Best shit ever
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7211 on: December 03, 2023, 12:46:43 PM »
I want to skate two of the 43s and two of the 66s. Should I put the 43s on the back truck and 66s on the front for a quicker snap? Maybe the 66s toeside and 43s on the heels to help with my kickflips?
On the other hand, I might wait for the 72s

I feel like smaller wheels in the front would have the best long-term effects on your style.

Think about like Jeff Stevens style. He does all those sick like disaster hang ups. I feel like having Small wheels in the front might help develop those muscles?

The opposite might help with nollie flips out of nose manny. So you don't tap as easily
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7212 on: December 05, 2023, 05:38:06 PM »
In typical PP fashion, the x99s in black (like all colored STFs used to be) feel harder than their white counterparts. They felt as hard as 99 spits on regular to crappy terrain...NGL I'm a bit disappointed (but kinda felt that is what I was getting into from skating colored STFs back in the day). I would totally skate these in a smooth park and be ok with it.

Speed check chirps
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d2KBqwFTewBBEqvpHowpVFbg

The V6s feel / look like Radials and were awesome for feeble grind slappies (especially getting out of them).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:49:18 PM by Xen »

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #7213 on: December 06, 2023, 01:05:33 PM »
There's a sale on OJ at the moment near me, and they are all half price, which is obviously appealing. Anyone got opinions on why/why not I should buy a set of Super Juice?

Spots near me are mostly crusty, I do some tricks down stuff, but nothing heavy, some transition in the park, but mostly cruising crust.

Reading about wheel sizes/urethane specs does my head in, so any thoughts would be great.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7214 on: December 06, 2023, 02:07:33 PM »
if you dont need to slide then grab em
but mind you, they bounce a lot
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7215 on: December 06, 2023, 03:07:13 PM »
if you like to cruise they are superb, but doing tricks on is not what you really want to do with them.
if you want a bit of both cruise + tricks and in OJ, i would say get the keyframes

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #7216 on: December 06, 2023, 04:39:06 PM »
if you dont need to slide then grab em
but mind you, they bounce a lot

if you like to cruise they are superb, but doing tricks on is not what you really want to do with them.
if you want a bit of both cruise + tricks and in OJ, i would say get the keyframes

cheers team. Will cop some keyframes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7217 on: December 07, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »
I've got Super Juice on a cruiser and would never put them on a board I'd want to seriously skate.

rikki

« Reply #7218 on: December 08, 2023, 01:02:38 AM »
Keyframes are shitty wheels imo, slow as f*ck and won't slide at all. If you're actually looking for a wheel for crusty park + cruising with which you can do some tricks on, get 56mm Dragons.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7219 on: December 08, 2023, 02:06:59 AM »
Keyframes are shitty wheels imo, slow as f*ck and won't slide at all. If you're actually looking for a wheel for crusty park + cruising with which you can do some tricks on, get 56mm Dragons.

Keyframes are objectively, far from a shitty wheel. They are great cruiser wheels and do not chunk apart easily from riding on some crust/rough ground. Are they the best? No, not at all.

I got Keyframes rn and been running them since 2017. Your mileage may vary is the takeaway with a wheel like a Keyframe, ATF, Dragon, etc. They work well: standard workhorse cruiser/rough terrain wheel.

They keep speed well, especially if you take care of the bearings. Could feel somewhat slow sometimes when you're bearings aren't spinning as well, though. Ride is smooth, grind on coping fine, can even grind ledges, and the slide is minimal. You'd have to really push to get them to slide. There's some give, but not enough. If you wanna slide at all, these may not be the ones to pick up (if you haven't bought yet)

For overall cruising and some flat tricks, they will work just fine
Super Champion Fun Zone

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7220 on: December 08, 2023, 06:55:49 AM »
i personally love the OJ Super Juice wheels...  its definitely not a board you set up to do tricks on, but if we are talking about unlocking new spots there is no better wheel imo. my village is absolute shit roads but I can actually have quite a bit of fun on my skateboard because of these wheels now. I 100% need a normal board if I want to have a full session at my curb spots, but I still slap a few here and there and fire off some flip tricks if i am wiating around for take out. I baby the wheels a little bit because I know how soft they are and I know they are prone to shredding if you are beating the shit out of them.

I have never rode Keyframe formula but yeah if you are expecting it to be something you use at the skatepark or beat up curbs with on the regular that is not what they are meant for... tbh they would probably make more sense for the type of skating I do with my cruiser. i just love how insanely cruisery and stable the super juices are, i feel a lot safer hitting a sidewalk crack going 20km / h on a hill bomb manny on that shape  ;D

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7221 on: December 08, 2023, 10:28:30 AM »
Anyone sampled the new Spitfire 80HD super wides yet? (Spitfire's answer to a proper cruiser/ filmer wheel.)

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #7222 on: December 08, 2023, 10:34:06 AM »
i keep seeing people ride radials. whats the big deal? i ride conical fulls but like the way radials look better. what is the point of radials? will they look into a handrail nicely?
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7223 on: December 08, 2023, 10:57:42 AM »
Radials are tied for my favorite shape. The inner portion of the wheel (near the bearings) is slightly narrower and a rounded lip both traintracks less and for me locks into anything nicer. It's got a pretty wide riding patch without being a truly wide wheel and they feel noticeably smoother on the rougher surfaces that I skate compared to a Classic, but my board still feels nimble.

I've tried Conical Fulls many time and just never been super convinced that they were for me. When I used to skate the Oakland Courthouse a lot I would constantly catch the sidewall in the cracks between the tiles and ate shit a few times. I don't need something that beefy and with 148/5.6 trucks the marginal added width of the Radials plus 2-3 washers gives me more room than a Conical full and the outside of the wheel is in the same spot.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7224 on: December 08, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »
Anyone sampled the new Spitfire 80HD super wides yet? (Spitfire's answer to a proper cruiser/ filmer wheel.)

Do these chunk out like other soft wheels?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7225 on: December 08, 2023, 11:06:03 PM »

I agree. I can slide key frames but it whips back to forward and you seem to have the same amount of speed.
So sliding only helps with when you need to avoid getting run over or hitting someone walking or whatever.

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel softer than 95a again. I might cop the Nano Cubic. I saw them but I'm going to check orchard for Funks first.

I need a 60mm wheel to tide me over till spring.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7226 on: December 08, 2023, 11:09:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do these chunk out like other soft wheels?

The old naturals in classic shape lasted me like from 2013 to 2016. I wore a good 10mm off them no issues. I assume a little chunk will happen on the edges but only if youre mashing through the tiles and edging out all the time.

Or hitting insane crust every day
(A)pl(E)

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7227 on: December 09, 2023, 12:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree. I can slide key frames but it whips back to forward and you seem to have the same amount of speed.
So sliding only helps with when you need to avoid getting run over or hitting someone walking or whatever.

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel softer than 95a again. I might cop the Nano Cubic. I saw them but I'm going to check orchard for Funks first.

I need a 60mm wheel to tide me over till spring.

I got keyframes two years ago because I heard good things about them. I hated them instantly after the first day. Dragons 93a are the shit. I saw nanocubics shape in 60mm and 93a, should be a fun wheel for cruising too. They also have 64mm Dragons but too scared of that size.  :D

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7228 on: December 09, 2023, 07:42:03 AM »
I would be so hyped on a massive Radial Full-type shape but in the 93a Dragon formula. 64mm or so.

I want to try the Dragons formula for long pushes but I'm not into any of their shapes for the bigger sizes.

rikki

« Reply #7229 on: December 09, 2023, 09:09:17 AM »
I would be so hyped on a massive Radial Full-type shape but in the 93a Dragon formula. 64mm or so.

I want to try the Dragons formula for long pushes but I'm not into any of their shapes for the bigger sizes.

I'm pretty sure the Dragons 60mm Rat Bones would not disappoint you a whole lot.