Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797499 times)

Mulldrifter and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7560 on: April 01, 2024, 10:45:25 AM »
for anyone who has tried the f4 93a:
how do they stack up to x97 formula?
would rather make one purchase there
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

diplodocus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #7561 on: April 01, 2024, 02:33:38 PM »
I impulsively bought some x99s out of curiosity since I haven’t heard much about them. I bought the 56mm v6. I was previously riding Spitfire F4 99a 56mm conicals. In terms of shape, the two wheels are nearly identical. They’re both the same width and diameter, but the F4s have a slightly wider contact patch.

Feel:
The x99 still have a soft feeling to them. To me they feel very similar to the Spitfire F4 97s. Skating across the parking lot was a much more pleasant experience than my F4 99s. In the park was really nice too. My local is 10 years old, so it’s not crusty but not glassy smooth. It’s a very comfortable ride while still giving some feedback from the ground.

Speed:
The x99 are noticeably faster than the F4s. I’ve always felt that speed is what Bones wheels really get right.

Grip/Slide:
The x99 are significantly more grippy than the F4 99s. Reverts were harder and a bit sticky. When sliding, they have a deep bark compared to the high pitched screech that F4s make. They will still slide and revert, it just takes some more effort.

Grinds:
My biggest issue with the Dragons is that they would catch and drag on grinds. The x99s are a major improvement in this department. There is still just the slightest bit of drag on grinds, but I think I only really notice this because I came from skating F4s. It’s more so that the deceleration at the end of a grind is a little quicker due to the grippier formula. Not a deal breaker.

Weight:
The x99 feel lighter than the F4s. The v6 shape has a pretty significant side cut that gets rid of a good bit of weight. The urethane also seems less dense than F4. My ollies felt better on the x99.

Overall Impression:
The x99 is a very good wheel. Is it a replacement for F4s? Absolutely not.

I would still put the x99s in the same category as Dragons, not F4s. They are an excellent wheel for someone looking for a wheel that does everything well enough. You can comfortably cruise over crusty asphalt and then skate a glassy smooth park. It is also a great wheel for an intermediate skater, someone who wants to go faster but isn’t ready for a wheel like SPF or F4 yet. It’s the kind of wheel I would want to carve around a bowl after a few beers and a j.

I pretty much only skate parks, so after a few sessions I put my F4s back on. If I didn’t do reverts, I would have kept the x99s on my main setup.

I have a crust setup with Dragons on it. When those wheels wear out, I’ll replace them with this set of x99s. I think the difference between x99 and F4 99 is more drastic than the difference between x99 and Dragons.

Agree with everything. I also got x99 impulsively and I am more disappointed coming from X97. The X99 still felt soft and worse than my 97s.

I went from dragons - x97 - x99

For me personally I don’t know if I’ll be skating these again. The 97s were better for crust and rough ground and still slid fine for me.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7562 on: April 01, 2024, 05:35:09 PM »
I cannot wait for this thread to blow up with 93a reviews.

I need to know if I should spend $50 to replace my x97’s.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 15
« Reply #7563 on: April 01, 2024, 05:53:00 PM »
I wish I could give you good idea of how they feel, but I'm a terrible reviewer. I will say I've liked the little bit of time I've put on them. They're very similar to dragons only real difference I feel is they are a little louder and have less rebound than dragons.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7564 on: April 01, 2024, 06:06:21 PM »
Good good, that’s a good start.

How do they power slide?

Preesh

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 15
« Reply #7565 on: April 01, 2024, 06:41:42 PM »
I'll have to let someone else answer about powerslides, I suck at powerslides, I can't even make a F4 101a slide.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7566 on: April 02, 2024, 04:39:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There have been a few good ones already, maybe more so shown in the Spitfire thread, last few pages.

See Dadboard, 144p or Adriano for their videos, all sliding pretty well.

This might be the best info if you don't want to watch a longer video:

This was an initial review I made for deluxe this summer when I received the sample.
Not comfortable talking into the camera but just my 2 cents on the formula.
https://youtu.be/XI7tsRNe-7c?si=107KWLQCzn1rZf_7

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7567 on: April 02, 2024, 06:23:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There have been a few good ones already, maybe more so shown in the Spitfire thread, last few pages.

See Dadboard, 144p or Adriano for their videos, all sliding pretty well.

This might be the best info if you don't want to watch a longer video:

Expand Quote
This was an initial review I made for deluxe this summer when I received the sample.
Not comfortable talking into the camera but just my 2 cents on the formula.
https://youtu.be/XI7tsRNe-7c?si=107KWLQCzn1rZf_7
[close]
Thanks. Appreciate it.

What doesn’t exist yet is a 93a spit vs x97 review. Dad board has good review but he’s comparing to Dragons. He had a good x97 review last year.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7568 on: April 02, 2024, 07:01:13 AM »
I think I should just buy x99 now, AND spitfire 93a as soon as it becomes available for me, that would probably ease my wheel madness
i kinda think i might end up back on f4 99a though...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7569 on: April 02, 2024, 07:09:53 AM »
I think I should just buy x99 now, AND spitfire 93a as soon as it becomes available for me, that would probably ease my wheel madness
i kinda think i might end up back on f4 99a though...
Got the X99 and let me tell you that they're a great wheel, better than F4 99 if you're skating "real street". If you're skating plazas stick to F4 99.
In all honesty, and to make it really simple, X99 is a better wheel but F4 is way to into my heart. Plus the sound is a really big factor, can't stand how X99 sounds.
Even if F4 99 are a "worse" wheel I prefer them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7570 on: April 02, 2024, 07:29:49 AM »
I think I will keep the F4 99a for my main setup always, I also agree with it just being the perfect feeling for when the spot is good. Even when its not perfect, I have kinda just gotten used to "not being a baby" and just pushing through with them anyway and hasnt been an issue.

I actually want these wheels for my 2nd setup

I have experimented with all sorts of shitty ass soft wheels, and some chunkier hard wheels, and dragons seemed like the best for that setup so far that I have messed around with. but yeah i think i am leaning towards needing to try the x99 AND the 93a spitfire for myself. 93a spitfire seems like it is more what I am after though.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7571 on: April 02, 2024, 07:43:34 AM »
Having a wheel quiver is the best way to maximize your board's usage. I've found Ih enjoy the same deck and trucks on most terrain. Switching out wheels every session, while nerdy, is fun as shit. I love this era of Urethane development... apologies to Greta Thunberg and others that care about the planet.

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #7572 on: April 02, 2024, 09:08:04 AM »
Having a wheel quiver is the best way to maximize your board's usage. I've found Ih enjoy the same deck and trucks on most terrain. Switching out wheels every session, while nerdy, is fun as shit. I love this era of Urethane development... apologies to Greta Thunberg and others that care about the planet.

Agreed. Can make a huge difference depending on the terrain too. X97s are my crust wheel of choice. This is also my excuse to try new wheels all the time.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #7573 on: April 02, 2024, 03:07:39 PM »
Tested bones x99(52mm) vs F493 (53mm) at the local with smooth ground. Bones are slightly faster, grippier, bouncier. Spitfires slid further and broke into slides easier. I’d pick the spitfires over the bones for all terrain, but like others, it may be I am just very partial and used to F4s.

Conclusion: there’s no use for F4 97 anymore. 93s are better at everything

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #7574 on: April 02, 2024, 03:32:31 PM »
Tested bones x99(52mm) vs F493 (53mm) at the local with smooth ground. Bones are slightly faster, grippier, bouncier. Spitfires slid further and broke into slides easier. I’d pick the spitfires over the bones for all terrain, but like others, it may be I am just very partial and used to F4s.

So do 93's have more speed than the 97s? and do they have the same speedcheck when powersliding?
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #7575 on: April 02, 2024, 04:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So do 93's have more speed than the 97s? and do they have the same speedcheck when powersliding?

Faster speed, quicker powerslide and more consistent while sliding.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7576 on: April 02, 2024, 05:17:01 PM »
just as i thought based off reviews
maybe spitfire cans the 97a and goes to work on a 95a
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7577 on: April 02, 2024, 10:34:37 PM »
Or just retools the F4 97a duro.
Apparently, the new discovery in urethane science was that rebound is both a particle AND a wave. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7578 on: April 02, 2024, 11:29:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Apparently, the new discovery in urethane science was that rebound is both a particle AND a wave. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yup, definitely needs a retool. I found the f497 mostly a joke for me. It works at indoor park for me, everywhere else it feels sluggish.

Light

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7579 on: April 02, 2024, 11:40:43 PM »
Setting up a vert board any suggestions on wheels?

I'm thinking bones 58mm spf 81b, I usually skate 54mm 99d f4's on an 8.25 will be throwing these on a 9.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7580 on: April 02, 2024, 11:54:12 PM »
As an old-ass crusty spot mediocre skater, I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the new recent "semi-soft" wheels hitting the market. My $0.02 as a quick summary:

Dragons: Great for super-crusty spots and just cruising around streets. On smooth terrain, I don't really love these -- they're a tad too bouncy and sticky plus they're way too quiet. But as for cruising, I most probably won't go back to "real" soft wheels that don't slide -- prolly gonna set up my cruiser with big Dragons from now on.

X97: Handles crust really well, but lacks a bit of speed. Seem to wear down fast. These somehow fall in between the Dragons and the X99s in a way that I feel that I won't be skating them that much. Still a good wheel for crusty spots, though. Not a bad wheel, but seems like I won't have that much use for them with regards to having other options.

X99: My favorite wheel at the moment. Been absolutely loving them in my dusty local indoor for the winter, and had a good time on them on my first outdoor sessions of the spring. These just might be the best all-around wheel of all time, provided there can be such a thing. They're faster than the Dragons and the X97s, work pretty great on smooth ground, slide great, give out a decent bark. They feel like a real wheel. Still haven't properly tested them on super smooth outdoor concrete parks/plazas, looking forward to doing that soon. In a nutshell, if one feels too lazy to swap from one set of wheels to another all the time, these might be the ones that cover all bases decently enough. Plus they are easier on one's knees, joints and old man's pains. Mind you, I'm not saying they are better than F4 99/101 on perfect ground, but they are definitely skateable pretty much anywhere.

F4 93: Based on various reviews, really looking forward to these. I don't know if I actually need them, but will buy a set for sure as I love all sorts of middle age Kool-Aid.

God bless the gods of urethane and their apostles.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7581 on: April 03, 2024, 05:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Apparently, the new discovery in urethane science was that rebound is both a particle AND a wave. ‍♂️
[close]

Yup, definitely needs a retool. I found the f497 mostly a joke for me. It works at indoor park for me, everywhere else it feels sluggish.

Never tried them indoors, but it only took one skate outside (~ hour) to know they were useless for me (this was pre-dragon/x99s) vs. a 99a spit; they're slow, sluggish and don't slide near well enough to be considered up to par by F4 standards imo.

A 95a would be pretty cool, but since they went after dragons/93s my money would be on a bones/x97 competitor and doubt they would ever do an 'easy' 99a.

X99: My favorite wheel at the moment. Been absolutely loving them in my dusty local indoor for the winter, and had a good time on them on my first outdoor sessions of the spring. These just might be the best all-around wheel of all time, provided there can be such a thing. They're faster than the Dragons and the X97s, work pretty great on smooth ground, slide great, give out a decent bark. They feel like a real wheel. Still haven't properly tested them on super smooth outdoor concrete parks/plazas, looking forward to doing that soon. In a nutshell, if one feels too lazy to swap from one set of wheels to another all the time, these might be the ones that cover all bases decently enough. Plus they are easier on one's knees, joints and old man's pains. Mind you, I'm not saying they are better than F4 99/101 on perfect ground, but they are definitely skateable pretty much anywhere.

F4 93: Based on various reviews, really looking forward to these. I don't know if I actually need them, but will buy a set for sure as I love all sorts of middle age Kool-Aid.

The [V5] x99s are the wheel if you skate everything, everywhere and can only have ONE wheel. Also, the black x99s are soooo much better feeling and sounding over the white x99s it's kinda silly. Not sure why.

God bless the gods of urethane and their apostles.

Gotta give credit to where credit is due. George Powell in the lab for 10 years (if it's to be believed)...without him and the dragons, the 93s might never have come about (Spit has been resting on their laurels since the F4 became #1 and rightfully so...no, I don't count full shapes to existing shapes worth noting :P); DLX tweaks trucks on occasion, and certainly fuxs with boards, e.g., R1, Reazy-C, low pro/IIs, twins, heavyweights (RIP), slicks, Fulls/SEs, Tru Fits, easy rider, ffs that's a lot, probably forgot some too...etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:43:42 PM by Xen »

rikki

« Reply #7582 on: April 03, 2024, 11:30:31 PM »

The [V5] x99s are the wheel if you skate everything, everywhere and can only have ONE wheel. Also, the black x99s are soooo much better feeling and sounding over the white x99s it's kinda silly. Not sure why.

Yeah, absolutely, forgot to mention that V5 is the bee's knees with regards to shape. Best ever?

Interesting about the black X99. I just can't skate black wheels, though. They look... wrong. A personal issue of mine, of course.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7583 on: April 04, 2024, 12:54:47 PM »
Finally skated X99 for the first time today and I'm amazed. They still do what the x97 do in terms of smoothing out shitty ground, but crooked grinds on sticky angle iron work much better.

rikki

« Reply #7584 on: April 10, 2024, 10:50:03 PM »
Possibly reviving a beaten-to-death old horse, but is the general consensus around here that the OJ Nomad 95s suck ass?

Asking for a friend, for real. He's drank some weird Kool-aid.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7585 on: April 11, 2024, 07:08:49 AM »
I thought the Nomads were decent. I used them for one winter mainly sessioning a slippery car hole where I had to navigate really rough patches and oil slicks. I think I won an OJ giveaway, so being free made the better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:41:50 AM by Frank and Fred »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7586 on: April 11, 2024, 09:02:52 AM »
I thought the Nomads were decent. I used them for one winter mainly sessioning a slippery car hole where I had to navigate really rough patches and oil slicks. I think I one an OJ giveaway, so being free made the better.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #7587 on: April 11, 2024, 09:34:35 AM »
Shape of the nomads is weird for me, too tablety. I don’t mind the feel on streets, slide mostly sucks though. And they’re slow on smooth concrete

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #7588 on: April 11, 2024, 08:09:17 PM »
Possibly reviving a beaten-to-death old horse, but is the general consensus around here that the OJ Nomad 95s suck ass?

Asking for a friend, for real. He's drank some weird Kool-aid.

They’re not bad, but I feel like Dragons/X formula/Soft Slide wheels have made them obsolete

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #7589 on: April 11, 2024, 08:23:23 PM »
Skated x99s at the DIY today. The concrete is very smooth but also slippery from being under a bridge. The grip was perfect, but they felt a lot slower on the smooth concrete. Still decently fast, but noticeably slower than F4 99s on the smooth concrete.

The x99 are faster than F4 99s at my local park where the concrete is a little rough but by no means crusty.

Either way I still think they’re great, but I’ll still keep one board setup with F4s and another with X formula