Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 141671 times)

MetalAnkleMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 16, 2023, 01:24:27 PM »
Blunt slides on rails: Of course its possible... but ive noticed with Thunders it takes a specific rail (ideally a smaller width circle rail) for it to work. Fat rails, my wheels catch too much even with coatings of wax (the solution is to do the blunt more like a ollie over bs tail slide, instead of sitting upright on your wheels. I've noticed with Indys since your sliding on your baseplate for blunts, its not a problem typically with any size of rail. This is starting to create some madness for myself and I feel limited on what tricks I can do....do any of you guys feel like this?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #1501 on: August 16, 2023, 07:06:46 PM »
Blunt slides on rails: Of course its possible... but ive noticed with Thunders it takes a specific rail (ideally a smaller width circle rail) for it to work. Fat rails, my wheels catch too much even with coatings of wax (the solution is to do the blunt more like a ollie over bs tail slide, instead of sitting upright on your wheels. I've noticed with Indys since your sliding on your baseplate for blunts, its not a problem typically with any size of rail. This is starting to create some madness for myself and I feel limited on what tricks I can do....do any of you guys feel like this?

No… just adjust your technique by leaning back more and don’t be spreading that madness.

I am a chronic truck experimenter like many others here but Thunders are consistently the home base, like no matter what I always know in the back of my head any other truck will ultimately not dethrone Thunders for me when I’m done fucking around fooling myself into thinking I have style skating loose Aces or something.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1502 on: August 24, 2023, 10:05:12 AM »
Forgive me if I’ve asked this before in this thread, but where the hell are all the Thunder 181s at?

Other than a sample pair my local shop has that aren’t for sale, I have yet to find any online or otherwise. Anyone able to point me in the direction of some 10” Thunders?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:21:50 PM by flintstagram »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #1503 on: August 24, 2023, 11:46:31 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about it too much because Ishod rides them and so does Foy. I don’t think either of them can’t blunt slide a rail let alone have to look for specific rails to blunt slide.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1504 on: August 25, 2023, 12:09:49 AM »
Forgive me if I’ve asked this before in this thread, but where the hell are all the Thunder 181s at?

Other than a sample pair my local shop has that aren’t for sale, I have yet to find any online or otherwise. Anyone able to point me in the direction of some 10” Thunders?

I feel like that would be a good one to ask DLXSF.COM directly.

They were around in short supply for a minute but maybe had less interest than they thought, or something happened, but I hadn't seen any more since that initial drop and they have taken them off any product list as well, even though the Thunder Trucks site still has 181 in the Team editions, so there might still be hope for tracking some down.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

flintstagram

« Reply #1505 on: August 25, 2023, 08:32:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like that would be a good one to ask DLXSF.COM directly.

They were around in short supply for a minute but maybe had less interest than they thought, or something happened, but I hadn't seen any more since that initial drop and they have taken them off any product list as well, even though the Thunder Trucks site still has 181 in the Team editions, so there might still be hope for tracking some down.

You sir, are a genius, and I’m an idiot. Got an answer within about three hours of emailing them. They are currently out of production because there is a problem sourcing 10” axles.

So as soon as they solve the problem of where they can get 10” axles, they’ll start making them again. So… eventually, I should be able to get some 181s.

sionarancsle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1506 on: August 30, 2023, 03:07:30 AM »
how can i get my hands on silver hardware like axle nuts and the top and bottom bushing covers? I really hate this new black design they use for the team trucks..

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1507 on: August 30, 2023, 10:03:07 AM »
how can i get my hands on silver hardware like axle nuts and the top and bottom bushing covers? I really hate this new black design they use for the team trucks..

uhhh, buy them?

https://socalskateshop.com/Skateboard-Truck-Bushing-Cup-And-Flat-Washers.html

https://socalskateshop.com/Mini-Logo-Axle-Nuts.html

Oooor, let the madness take you and by 3278649812364 pairs of trucks,
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:42:18 AM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1508 on: August 30, 2023, 07:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

uhhh, buy them?

It's funny cause to me that black hardware option is what Thunder has been doing for a long time and any plain Thunder trucks look "normal" with black nuts and washers.

The other versions, be it lights, or hollow or half the pro versions have silver nuts and washers, so if you are that caught up not wanting black, maybe get those instead, or as stated, buy the other bits separately and keep it full silver and pass the black bits on to someone else who might need them, or leave them at the skate shop when you buy the trucks.

To be fair though, you are not the only one who changes out things like that.  Some people actually want to change in the black hardware on their otherwise silver truck parts, or people use the rebuild kit and make everything go a bit more out there with the blue or red parts, but a simple silver or black set of everything just looks more normal.

I used to have a bit more of that with kids than adults with the average customer being a lot younger in previous shop places I worked.

Vintagebody

« Reply #1509 on: August 30, 2023, 10:38:43 PM »
I did exactly that to mine! Black axle nuts is dangerous. Easier to spot silver ones

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1510 on: August 31, 2023, 11:18:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

uhhh, buy them?

[close]

It's funny cause to me that black hardware option is what Thunder has been doing for a long time and any plain Thunder trucks look "normal" with black nuts and washers.

The other versions, be it lights, or hollow or half the pro versions have silver nuts and washers, so if you are that caught up not wanting black, maybe get those instead, or as stated, buy the other bits separately and keep it full silver and pass the black bits on to someone else who might need them, or leave them at the skate shop when you buy the trucks.

To be fair though, you are not the only one who changes out things like that.  Some people actually want to change in the black hardware on their otherwise silver truck parts, or people use the rebuild kit and make everything go a bit more out there with the blue or red parts, but a simple silver or black set of everything just looks more normal.

I used to have a bit more of that with kids than adults with the average customer being a lot younger in previous shop places I worked.

Unless I’m running a full black out setup or blk wheels at a minimum, blk hardware is the first swap…and silver mounting nuts too, ugh black nuts on silver/raw plates *barf*

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1511 on: August 31, 2023, 02:45:55 PM »
one thing people should really know before buying these trucks: do not by 7/8" hardware if you are getting the standard cast baseplates. they are VERY thick and you will have to drive the screws very far into the wood to have a secure fit.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: August 31, 2023, 05:37:20 PM »
one thing people should really know before buying these trucks: do not by 7/8" hardware if you are getting the standard cast baseplates. they are VERY thick and you will have to drive the screws very far into the wood to have a secure fit.

I've run 7/8 on cast plates (ANY brand cast plates) with zero issues. Not sure what you're on about my dude.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 06:20:32 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1513 on: August 31, 2023, 05:58:57 PM »
Ya second that I run 7/8 on all cast plates and never had an issue with normal nuts or low profile.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1514 on: August 31, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »
7/8 are ok on cast plates..

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1515 on: August 31, 2023, 09:23:46 PM »
Running 7/8ths on my cast plates and they are fine

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: August 31, 2023, 11:14:14 PM »

Yes others have lost nuts and bolts quite often by not tightening them down enough.

I am used to putting the heads right down into the wood to get the end of the bolt just nicely through regular nuts, usually more so with smaller heads on the hardware, but quite a few others when setting up their own boards just don't want to or don't know to tighten them down enough so bolts come loose or come off and they have issues.

More than anything I am using the low nuts on 7/8" bolts on most of my own setups (all with cast plates), but some decks are thicker than others too, so with one deck in particular I had to use 1" bolts on it as even the Shortys 7/8" with low nuts didn't fit well.

Generally everything else is thin enough that it works well enough if you sink the hardware into the deck somewhat, which also stops bolts losing their black paint.

flintstagram

« Reply #1517 on: September 01, 2023, 08:54:10 AM »

Yeah, I definitely used 1” hardware for a while because I liked the extra security of them, but I’m on 7/8” with cast baseplates with zero issues. It’s all preference. Just make sure your threads are fully engaged on those nuts.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1518 on: September 01, 2023, 09:49:54 AM »
Are you riding a retro 9ply darkstar deck?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1519 on: September 01, 2023, 01:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Are you riding a retro 9ply darkstar deck?

Or something out of south central? REAL Heavyweight?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1520 on: September 02, 2023, 04:14:58 PM »
What's the reasonable max classic wheel size with 147s? 52?

Also, how tall are the stock bushings?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1521 on: September 02, 2023, 07:25:30 PM »
What's the reasonable max classic wheel size with 147s? 52?

Also, how tall are the stock bushings?

From the bushing thread, all the main brands and sizes here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036#msg3874036

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

People can still run bigger wheels, but it all comes down to how you have your trucks, or how light you are.

I just fixed a kids board that had 147s and 56 mm wheels and not a single wheelbite mark on the deck.

On the other hand, I could easily feel I was going to max out when I had 54 mm wheels on my 147s back when I skated 8 or 8.1 sized boards, even though I didn't really feel like I was getting thrown off a lot due to wheelbite, but it was always in the back of my mind.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2023, 07:57:51 PM »
Thanks mane. Got some 53 and 51s, maybe I'll try the 53s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2023, 10:36:19 PM »
forged or cast?
tight or loose?

i can wheelbite 51s on 147s, but i’m not good.
big big fan of 147s

Vintagebody

« Reply #1524 on: September 03, 2023, 12:00:59 AM »
Does the 147s have substantially lower kingpin clearence than 148 and up? I've got some old 147 hangars, put them on my 148 baseplates, and the kingpin clearence is terrible...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1525 on: September 03, 2023, 02:42:30 AM »
Does the 147s have substantially lower kingpin clearence than 148 and up? I've got some old 147 hangars, put them on my 148 baseplates, and the kingpin clearence is terrible...
Yes. 2-3mm less

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1526 on: September 03, 2023, 05:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes. 2-3mm less

I believe they use the same baseplates and kingpins for everything, but the hanger varies, so the 147 is both shorter and lower than 148 and up.

This is one of the reasons a few people I know went up to 148 just to get a slightly taller hanger, some even switched to forged plates so it was not too big a jump but sort of got the best of both worlds, definitely more kingpin clearance, narrow wheels running with one inside washer, or sometimes even no inside washer, they don't feel like such a wide truck, so I am told.

It just comes down to what you prefer and how you want your setup to ride, but for those who want more kingpin clearance, going up to 148s or angle grinding down the kingpin on 147s are the two options to fixing that issue, if it is a problem to you.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #1527 on: September 06, 2023, 08:35:07 PM »
Where can you get Thunder bushings? Are stock ones 90 duro? Mine are finally starting to crumble.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1528 on: September 06, 2023, 09:54:58 PM »

Where can you get Thunder bushings? Are stock ones 90 duro? Mine are finally starting to crumble.

Yes, stock in any colour are 90 duro, even though some people say the different colours, or the clear vs plain or solid colour (like white) skate differently in them.  I have definitely felt small differences, although that might be more to do with the age of the bushings than anything else.

The aftermarket bushings currently come in lots of options from 90 white or clear orange, 94, 97 and 100 in the plain packs, or the full rebuild kit with nuts and washers in 90 red, as well.

Most shops have them and they are maybe the cheapest of the main brands stock / aftermarket type bushings, but sometimes or some areas might be short on stock, depending on where you are in the world.

From the Thunder site with the current colours, although there are still a lot of the older ones out there too:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 10:13:17 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1529 on: September 06, 2023, 10:04:06 PM »

Stalking your history and if you are in Virginia, this one is in stock - obviously it is a big place and you might not be anywhere near the shop, but you might find the rebuild kits more easy to find than just the stand alone bushing tubes:

https://venueskateboards.com/products/thunder-rebuild-kit-red-90du

This is what I had posted before:

Yes, stock in any colour are 90 duro, even though some people say the different colours, or the clear vs plain or solid colour (like white) skate differently in them.  I have definitely felt small differences, although that might be more to do with the age of the bushings than anything else.

The aftermarket bushings currently come in lots of options from 90 white or clear orange, 94, 97 and 100 in the plain packs, or the full rebuild kit with nuts and washers in 90 red, as well.

Most shops have them and they are maybe the cheapest of the main brands stock / aftermarket type bushings, but sometimes or some areas might be short on stock, depending on where you are in the world.

From the Thunder site with the current colours, although there are still a lot of the older ones out there too: