Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 222572 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #930 on: July 28, 2021, 11:21:27 PM »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #932 on: July 29, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »
That shape looks pretty fun.

Side note: I used to fantasize about starting a company called 92 Skateboards. This was I think 2009.
Obviously based on that egg/ football shaped era. I wanted huge striped shirts and huge jeans, flat billed hats.
And of course egg shapes. My wife totally encouraged me to do this and bought me all this art stuff so I could create.
In reality, I'd sit in the "art room" and smoke cigarettes, drink, and play Skate 2 or 3 and get exactly 0 done.

Fast forward to 2019, we are in NZ to visit her fam, and I go into Boardertown (skate shop), flipping though the gear and run into some "91 skateboards" shirts. She saw this also and we were schrocked to say the least. Anyway, cool company and good on them for actually following through with an idea.

P.S. I still fantasize about this idea, but with my lack of follow through and the 15 minutes of time I get to myself a day, this will never happen.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #933 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »

Uma "Thumb shape" 9"

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #934 on: July 29, 2021, 08:16:13 PM »

Uma "Thumb shape" 9"

nice setup.is the tail pointier than the nose?

passtheish

• Rep: 6

GBLange

• SLAP Pal

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:20 AM »
found an old picture of some football shape decks i hv back in 1994..i believe all three are slick bottoms.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #938 on: July 30, 2021, 08:03:03 AM »
@GBLange Tail is pointier yes. In real life the outline is more eggy. Hoping to get my 360 flips back. It has been a few months since I've done one.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #939 on: August 02, 2021, 08:52:47 PM »
Anyone get the Heroin Lil egg? Review?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #940 on: August 02, 2021, 11:19:58 PM »
@GBLange Tail is pointier yes. In real life the outline is more eggy. Hoping to get my 360 flips back. It has been a few months since I've done one.

thanks..will keep an eye on this board.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #941 on: August 03, 2021, 07:02:22 PM »

14.25wb..sweet

Larger image of the Madness Manipulate Holographic R7 Deck

Madness is Dwindle/DSM wood; stiff and crispy; of the two Madness I have ridden I found them a tad heavier than like  shape/size from other brands.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:39:22 PM by Xen »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: August 03, 2021, 08:23:41 PM »

Larger image of the Madness Manipulate Holographic R7 Deck

Madness is Dwindle/DSM wood; stiff and crispy; of the two Madness I have ridden I found them a tad heavier than like  shape/size from other brands.

the graphics pretty cool with that silver foil.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #943 on: August 03, 2021, 11:15:08 PM »
The Madness shape looks perfect. I wish it was 9.25" or more, I need eggs to be close to or wider than 9" at the trucks. Hoping for more big eggs. The Heroin one is impossible to get in Europe, even when checking UK stores.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #944 on: August 07, 2021, 08:04:05 PM »
My first egg

Surprisingly nimble for 9", in hindsight I probably should have gone with 151s as the 161s stick out ever so slightly due to the taper but no biggie (I knew going in they'd stick out a bit), I like the grind room.

Not sure I notice anything special about the razoredge construction...tho it did help with trimming grip, so win?

Swapped out the 52mm 101 snots after the first sticky tail slide....they're no F4/STFs when it comes to slide but they grip and roll smoothly.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2021, 08:20:33 PM »
Looks good Xen. I have one of those in the pile. Prob going 151s or 6.1s on mine.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: August 07, 2021, 08:39:44 PM »
Looks good Xen. I have one of those in the pile. Prob going 151s or 6.1s on mine.

Thanks! Yeah, if I had to do it again, I'd 151 it. I'm going to try some 159s I've got on hand (and possible 149s), but have really been feeling thunders lately...and of course I just bought the 161s

It's the smallest amount, it's a tiny portion of the nut and wheel...I went by the heroin site description that it was 8.6 *above* the trucks but it's really 8.6 across (lined up with the axle)...149s on an 8.25 is visually much worse. I'm assuming the 159s with being more tucked in and closer in length that I wouldn't see it at all.

It's basically 9" dead middle, then tapers to 8.75, then 8.6/8.5; eggs taper, I should have known better :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:26:41 PM by Xen »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2021, 12:49:48 AM »
Looks sick! Fos mentioned an upcoming 9.5" symmetrical egg in a recent Insta live video. Supposed to drop as part of their October catalogue. Will definitely try to get one.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2021, 06:37:06 PM »
@Frank and Fred

I put 8.5s (tensor ATGs) on today and they line up perfectly: nut is flush-ish with the edge, corner/edge of the wheel lines up at the kicks too); it was a blast and even more nimble than before (tensors tighten up the wheelbase a bit/lighten the whole thing up).

You could still go either way with the 8.6 width at the trucks/with that taper, but I think Villani has the right idea vs wider at the taper.

Moved the 161s over to an 8.625" (14" wb) and they are much less visible now/kick out the wheelbase a bit more so win/win.

Fhk

« Reply #949 on: August 08, 2021, 06:57:47 PM »
I tried 6.1s on my symmetrical egg and it didn't feel right to me, Ace 55 were real good. Kills me to say it because I love Ventures. Such an amazing shape, I miss mine.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #950 on: August 08, 2021, 08:37:21 PM »
Been having a similar dilemma on my Uma 9" egg. I spent the day skating flatground and rotating between Venture 6.1s and Ace AF1 55s. OCD insanity. I think I have landed on the AF1s as unlike the Heroin symmetrical egg the UMA tapers even closer to 8.5" over the back truck. I was happy rotating between Thunder 151s and Ace but now I have added Venture to the mix, I think my sanity is in real jeopardy. Might just have to pass them on to save myself.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #951 on: August 08, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »
I tried 6.1s on my symmetrical egg and it didn't feel right to me, Ace 55 were real good. Kills me to say it because I love Ventures. Such an amazing shape, I miss mine.

8.5" on the symmetrical egg is the right choice unless you prefer hotrodding. 8.75" would work but didn't want to dismantle my 8.8 to fuck with them on the egg.

Been having a similar dilemma on my Uma 9" egg. I spent the day skating flatground and rotating between Venture 6.1s and Ace AF1 55s. OCD insanity. I think I have landed on the AF1s as unlike the Heroin symmetrical egg the UMA tapers even closer to 8.5" over the back truck. I was happy rotating between Thunder 151s and Ace but now I have added Venture to the mix, I think my sanity is in real jeopardy. Might just have to pass them on to save myself.

I feel you! Thankfully my egg is symmetrical so I didn't have to worry too much. When it doubt, size to the front (unless you are skating something weird).

What's the taper on the Uma 9" egg?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:50:52 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #952 on: August 08, 2021, 08:50:44 PM »
The Uma egg with AF1 55s is 8 5/8" at the front axle and tapers to 8.5" at the back axle. Venture 6.1s fit just fine but I wanted my wheels tucked in a little bit for this board as the whole point was to get busy with some flatground flip trickery. If I really wanted to nerd out I think Venture 5.8s would suit this board best but I am not buying more trucks at this juncture.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: August 09, 2021, 07:50:21 AM »
The Madness shape looks perfect. I wish it was 9.25" or more, I need eggs to be close to or wider than 9" at the trucks. Hoping for more big eggs. The Heroin one is impossible to get in Europe, even when checking UK stores.

it's even harder to find in south east asia, especially from where i come from bcoz no shops are carrying Heroin products. but i got lucky with the heroin symmetrical egg. snag all 2 decks that arrived at Preduce Skateshop which is located in Thailand. i only know of CCS & bakerboysdistribution that ships to Malaysia.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #954 on: August 14, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
Hope this isn’t a dumb question: what kind of skating do you like to do on your eggs/footballs? I have some extra Indy 149s that I think could be kinda fun with an egg, for slappies and curb skating. Thoughts? I pretty much gave up flipping my board a few years ago due to injuries, so I just like to skate fun shapes for transition and curbs these days.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #955 on: August 14, 2021, 08:38:51 PM »
Hope this isn’t a dumb question: what kind of skating do you like to do on your eggs/footballs? I have some extra Indy 149s that I think could be kinda fun with an egg, for slappies and curb skating. Thoughts? I pretty much gave up flipping my board a few years ago due to injuries, so I just like to skate fun shapes for transition and curbs these days.

I just skate them like a regular board. I’m not sure if I would skate a non-egg board anymore. I mainly skate ledges but also skate transition a fair amount. I feel like eggs skate way more like a regular board than most other shaped boards. At this point regular boards look kind of weird to me. They are too square. Eggs are just as functional but feel more surfy and fun so I would definitely say go for it.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #956 on: August 14, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »
Same. I mostly use them for flat ground, curbs and other low-impact street stuff but I use them in the bowls and pools also. With an egg you can skate a wider board that responds like a narrower board.  You can get away with trucks 1/4" to 1/2" narrower than the wide point due to the way they taper, but a truck that fits the wide point of the deck will also work if you want a more stable ride. The pulled in tails and noses are good for flip tricks but the width in the middle makes it feel more secure on transition and fun and functional on curbs. At least that's my theory. I learned most of my flip tricks on eggs in the early 90s and riding them again is helping me relearn some. Maybe not so great for nose/ tails slides... but I haven't really noticed. I'm currently on a 9" egg after riding an 8.5" popsicle (same wb) but the egg is working so much better for flip tricks.

They just look aesthetically pleasing also. Just a nostalgic functional shape. (Can't go back to sub 50mm wheels though, so it s a bit of compromise)

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #957 on: August 15, 2021, 12:42:26 AM »
Anyone get the Heroin Lil egg? Review?

You mean this one?

It’s fuxking awesome fun!! Love how the edges aren’t rounded off. Probably my second favourite egg to the Tired Joel shape.

sketchyrider

« Reply #958 on: August 15, 2021, 07:48:52 AM »

I think that eggs work best for flat, curbs, and smaller stuff, just like they were historically used. I realize modern eggs are steeper and have longer wheelbase but still.

Thinking about the shape for a minute, tapered kicks make for better scoop and flip, and the wide middle compared to the kicks make for an easy catch. On the other hand the small kicks compared to the overall width make for less leverage so less pop.

I kind of disagree that they are transition oriented, I find more blunt/full shapes work on transition, but if you end up loving the eggs you can skate them on anything, if you want.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #959 on: August 16, 2021, 04:24:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think that eggs work best for flat, curbs, and smaller stuff, just like they were historically used. I realize modern eggs are steeper and have longer wheelbase but still.

Thinking about the shape for a minute, tapered kicks make for better scoop and flip, and the wide middle compared to the kicks make for an easy catch. On the other hand the small kicks compared to the overall width make for less leverage so less pop.

I kind of disagree that they are transition oriented, I find more blunt/full shapes work on transition, but if you end up loving the eggs you can skate them on anything, if you want.

true true..the eggball shape just screams fun on any type of skating.mowadays with companies making short wheelbases like 13.875"/14", you can get pretty technical street skating also.