Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224853 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2340 on: November 04, 2023, 09:52:16 PM »
Swampy and Nolan part for Heroin

OneMassiveCalf

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2341 on: November 05, 2023, 08:51:14 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed already...I searched for it but couldn't find anything.

I have a Heroin razor egg 9.5 symmetrical, and recently talked with another dude who had skated the same board. He said that the symmetrical boards have identical nose/tail lengths, but that the angle of the kick was still different. In other words, the nose was still a sharper angle, and maybe had a finger of flat before the kick, while the tail's angle was more chill and without the finger. Is this true? I've stared at it for so long I could hallucinate just about anything on it. Hoping someone knows for reals.

Thanks.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2342 on: November 05, 2023, 08:54:44 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed already...I searched for it but couldn't find anything.

I have a Heroin razor egg 9.5 symmetrical, and recently talked with another dude who had skated the same board. He said that the symmetrical boards have identical nose/tail lengths, but that the angle of the kick was still different. In other words, the nose was still a sharper angle, and maybe had a finger of flat before the kick, while the tail's angle was more chill and without the finger. Is this true? I've stared at it for so long I could hallucinate just about anything on it. Hoping someone knows for reals.

Thanks.
I think it may depend on when the egg was made. At one point, Heroin had a traditional mold on the double shovel shape before eventually putting that shape out on a true twin mold, where the angle of the kicks is the same. It may be possible that the symmetrical eggs went through the same phases but I can't myself say for sure. Also not all Heroin eggs are symmetrical so that might have been what was going on.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #2343 on: November 06, 2023, 12:05:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]
I think it may depend on when the egg was made. At one point, Heroin had a traditional mold on the double shovel shape before eventually putting that shape out on a true twin mold, where the angle of the kicks is the same. It may be possible that the symmetrical eggs went through the same phases but I can't myself say for sure. Also not all Heroin eggs are symmetrical so that might have been what was going on.

The original 9.75 Symmetrical Eggs I’ve been riding are fully symmetrical including the angles.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2344 on: November 07, 2023, 04:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]
[close]

The original 9.75 Symmetrical Eggs I’ve been riding are fully symmetrical including the angles.

Yup agreed.. Hv the 9.75 and 9.0, all symmetrical including the angles.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #2345 on: November 08, 2023, 01:32:08 AM »
Does anyone here have a searat egg? I've been looking real hard at them lately and if he restocks the 8.5 I might have to pull the trigger.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2346 on: November 08, 2023, 03:51:18 AM »
Does anyone here have a searat egg? I've been looking real hard at them lately and if he restocks the 8.5 I might have to pull the trigger.

I haven’t skated one of his eggs, but I have a 9” popsicle and two 9.25” Capt Walker Shovels from Sea Rat and they are absolutely phenomenal boards. Highly recommend.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2347 on: November 08, 2023, 04:16:36 AM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2348 on: November 16, 2023, 11:45:49 PM »

Don't like the brand but couldn't resist a nice priced egg with not usual dims
8.375 x 31.6 - Wheelbase 14.2
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2349 on: November 18, 2023, 05:52:04 PM »
10" symmetrical (twin nose) grimple egg with wheel wells... 14.6 WB I think...

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #2350 on: November 18, 2023, 06:39:45 PM »

Isn't this just the deedz shape?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2351 on: November 18, 2023, 06:51:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t skated one of his eggs, but I have a 9” popsicle and two 9.25” Capt Walker Shovels from Sea Rat and they are absolutely phenomenal boards. Highly recommend.

what do you like about the sea rat popsicles?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2352 on: November 18, 2023, 10:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're right, just checked it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2353 on: November 18, 2023, 11:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It actually predates deedz even, dwindle has run it in various forms over the years long before he was even a twinkle im Louie's eye. The Lotti reissues are also identical, except cut down to 8.12.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2354 on: November 18, 2023, 11:10:01 PM »
Oh and look, the 8.5 egg is restocked.

https://searatskateboards.bigcartel.com/product/8-5-rat-egg

Haha holy shit I sent him a message through his contact form and he saw it and restocked. Gonna grab one in a few days when I get paid. Stoked to try a handmade board.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2355 on: November 18, 2023, 11:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It actually predates deedz even, dwindle has run it in various forms over the years long before he was even a twinkle im Louie's eye. The Lotti reissues are also identical, except cut down to 8.12.
So this Jacuzzi egg must be like 8.12 over the trucks if not less
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2356 on: November 18, 2023, 11:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
So this Jacuzzi egg must be like 8.12 over the trucks if not less

From what I remember it's 8 at the back trucks and slightly larger at the front. I'll measure it when I go downstairs but I know it's not symmetrical.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2357 on: November 19, 2023, 05:05:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They just feel great under foot. Nose and tail steepness is a degree or two more mellow than the Quasi BBS boards I’ve skated, which is really nice. And they’re sturdy as hell. I wouldn’t call them heavy, but I’d venture a guess that they’re very slightly heavier than your typical BBS or PS. However, I don’t have a board that isn’t setup right now.

Plus I like to support Dominic. One dude with his own molds, cutting, shaping and screening boards in his garage in San Diego. He’s always been super cool about answering my questions and even just bullshitting about boards.

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2358 on: November 19, 2023, 05:27:54 AM »
There is no way in hell that I would pay $85 for a deck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2359 on: November 19, 2023, 07:25:33 AM »

well i’ve got some bad news for ya

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #2360 on: November 19, 2023, 12:29:50 PM »

Cross post from Big Boys/Big Boards thread, new Curb Killer V on 77s with 58 OG classics and Snot stuff.

Last egg was a 9.1 Uma, liked it but really appreciate the extra size on this guy. Now tempted to splurge and get a Wide Boy to complete the large egg armada.  Rails are making a hefty board even porkier so I may pop them off at some point.

Bonus top shot for my eggheads.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2361 on: November 19, 2023, 09:03:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They just feel great under foot. Nose and tail steepness is a degree or two more mellow than the Quasi BBS boards I’ve skated, which is really nice. And they’re sturdy as hell. I wouldn’t call them heavy, but I’d venture a guess that they’re very slightly heavier than your typical BBS or PS. However, I don’t have a board that isn’t setup right now.

Plus I like to support Dominic. One dude with his own molds, cutting, shaping and screening boards in his garage in San Diego. He’s always been super cool about answering my questions and even just bullshitting about boards.

Yeah I mostly ride shaped boards for curbs and cruising so I don't mind if it's a little chunky, hell I've even enjoyed skating waterlogged 18 stain pennswood boards in the past so I can't imagine it can be much heavier than those. I personally believe that the shape is far more important than the manufacturer when it comes to how well a board fits you so I don't mind thinking outside the box a little either. The only mfg I've outright disliked everything I tried regardless of shape has been control, every other woodshop I've found something that I like. Additionally some of the best boards I've skated have come from smaller shops that do a lot of the work by hand (RIP Watson, dunno if Gangemi/Popmaster is still a thing but loved those too) so I don't mind a few warts as long as it feels good under my feet. Glad to hear they're mellowish. There's a little shop north of me where the guy presses his own stuff, but it's way more primitive and the one he showed me was far too steep to be comfortable, the kicks had to be 25°+

I like what the dude is doing too, a lot of the guys who make boards that way try to market them as bespoke and charge double for them, but he's right around what you're going to pay for a heroin egg in shops these days. Seems like he's in it for the right reasons.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2362 on: November 20, 2023, 04:07:28 AM »

Cross post with the purchase thread.
Stoked on this 8.375 egg which will go with AF-1 44, it should be a perfect match.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Bandee

« Reply #2363 on: November 20, 2023, 05:07:48 AM »

Stoked on this 8.375 egg which will go with AF-1 44, it should be a perfect match.

Looks sick! If you already set it up, how do the 44’s fit? I plan on picking up the same deck and also using af1 44’s so i was just wondering

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2364 on: November 20, 2023, 05:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks sick! If you already set it up, how do the 44’s fit? I plan on picking up the same deck and also using af1 44’s so i was just wondering
I shouldn't set it up any time soon since weather here crapped out :/
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Bandee

« Reply #2365 on: November 20, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I shouldn't set it up any time soon since weather here crapped out :/

i feel that, been rained out and wet out here too for a few days

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2366 on: November 20, 2023, 01:24:59 PM »

It's a good thing no one is forcing you to, then!

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2367 on: November 20, 2023, 01:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Oh and look, the 8.5 egg is restocked.

https://searatskateboards.bigcartel.com/product/8-5-rat-egg
[close]

Haha holy shit I sent him a message through his contact form and he saw it and restocked. Gonna grab one in a few days when I get paid. Stoked to try a handmade board.

Keep me posted on what you think!

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2368 on: November 20, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I mostly ride shaped boards for curbs and cruising so I don't mind if it's a little chunky, hell I've even enjoyed skating waterlogged 18 stain pennswood boards in the past so I can't imagine it can be much heavier than those. I personally believe that the shape is far more important than the manufacturer when it comes to how well a board fits you so I don't mind thinking outside the box a little either. The only mfg I've outright disliked everything I tried regardless of shape has been control, every other woodshop I've found something that I like. Additionally some of the best boards I've skated have come from smaller shops that do a lot of the work by hand (RIP Watson, dunno if Gangemi/Popmaster is still a thing but loved those too) so I don't mind a few warts as long as it feels good under my feet. Glad to hear they're mellowish. There's a little shop north of me where the guy presses his own stuff, but it's way more primitive and the one he showed me was far too steep to be comfortable, the kicks had to be 25°+

I like what the dude is doing too, a lot of the guys who make boards that way try to market them as bespoke and charge double for them, but he's right around what you're going to pay for a heroin egg in shops these days. Seems like he's in it for the right reasons.

I’d gnar if I could!

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2369 on: November 20, 2023, 04:20:23 PM »

Cross post from Big Boys/Big Boards thread, new Curb Killer V on 77s with 58 OG classics and Snot stuff.

Last egg was a 9.1 Uma, liked it but really appreciate the extra size on this guy. Now tempted to splurge and get a Wide Boy to complete the large egg armada.  Rails are making a hefty board even porkier so I may pop them off at some point.

Bonus top shot for my eggheads.

That's a beauty..