Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 110997 times)

Frontsaladbowl

Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
Chest first into Bucky in the combi back in 03

Rumpelnoskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
    • SkateVideoSite avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
This is a bad one, but my only interesting pro encounter story.

One time during SXSW (~2012) I told some dudes to fuck off and stop talking to my gf. Next thing you know they surround me and of all people, cracked out Tyrone Olson is yelling in my face trying to start a fight. I was super bummed because I had an Osiris poster of him on my wall growing up.

If you see this Tyrone, gfy

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #482 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:40 PM »
Was at Borough Hall with a few homies and ran into Jahmal Williams. Said hi to him and he introduced himself and then I immediately fan'd out and said "I love all your Static parts" He was just like "Thanks man" then proceeded to avoid me for the rest of sesh. Also, I'm pretty sure he has only been in one Static video.. I really kook'd it.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
The DC team came through my city last year and were at a famous local spot. Me and a mate sat watching Evan Smith, Wes Kremer, Jaakko Ojanen and Tommy Fynn shred this spot. Jaakko was trying various tricks over this ledge gap ledge, like fs 5050 fs 180 to bs 5050, he's sick to watch, creative and consistent. He looked over and we exchanged smiles and head nods etc, so he comes over and sits next to us, maybe like on some "make a good impression, be friendly with the locals" shit, but we're both too stoned to really say anything, so after a couple minutes of awkward silence he just gets back up and keeps skating.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »
met alex olson like 13 years ago at a quicksilver demo... to practice my english I stupidly asked him why he left lakai for vans, as he politely answered he liked vans better.

i still regret that stupid question to this day.

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #485 on: March 04, 2020, 04:46:37 AM »
When I was a kid, i ran into Lizard King while I was skating flat ground near this gnarly bank in my neighborhood and at the time, I thought he was some sort of satanic, unhinged guy so i walked up to him and said “hey, what’s up lizard king! I thought you were gonna kill me!” and he responded “you thought I was going to kill you?” with a confused face. I don’t remember much else about the encounter besides getting a picture of him and his being a generally nice guy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:51:37 AM by Fernandito »

fromsir

• Rep: 0
« Reply #486 on: March 04, 2020, 06:22:41 AM »
Steve Olson and Lance Mountain came to visit Virginia Beach one time. Olson was cool as all get out. Introduced myself to Lance Mountain and he seemed kinda aloof, to good to be there, etc.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #487 on: March 04, 2020, 07:44:35 AM »
Living in Texas as a grom, Ben Rayborn would occasional show up at parks.

You ever think your local park ripper is good then see someone come through on a whole 'nother level?
It was the first time in person I had been terrified of watching someone skate.
He was trying and making some stupid big transfers from a medium bowl to a really big bowl and vice versa.
Was a cool/goofy kid and shredded.

Semi-related
Only person I ever geeked out over was pro surfer Dane Reynolds in Huntington one time. Got him to sign my velcro wallet. HAHA.  Kelly Slater told me to go away when I asked him for a signature after watching him lose a final heat at the US Open in 05? Shattered my kid dreams lol
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
Living in Texas as a grom, Ben Rayborn would occasional show up at parks.

You ever think your local park ripper is good then see someone come through on a whole 'nother level?
It was the first time in person I had been terrified of watching someone skate.
He was trying and making some stupid big transfers from a medium bowl to a really big bowl and vice versa.
Was a cool/goofy kid and shredded.

Semi-related
Only person I ever geeked out over was pro surfer Dane Reynolds in Huntington one time. Got him to sign my velcro wallet. HAHA.  Kelly Slater told me to go away when I asked him for a signature after watching him lose a final heat at the US Open in 05? Shattered my kid dreams lo

Paging Jedi...
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Very Bev

• Rep: -6
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2020, 08:32:12 PM »
When I was 13 I went to Woodward and it was Organika week (back when Karl Watson, Miles Silvas, and Walker Ryan were on the team). They were skating the target plaza if you know what that is, and I was sitting watching Miles try like switch front feeble on the rail or some shit and I happened to have an organika board for some reason. Walker skated up to me out of nowhere and was like "hey man, what made you wanna buy an Organika board?" (he was really nice about it but I think he was fishing for a compliment) but since I was a really shy and socially awkward kid I probably came off as a total dick because I said nothing and just pointed to Miles who was annihilating the eight stair rail. And then Walker was like "oh yeah, he's real good" and just skated off.

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2020, 09:20:23 PM »
Ok guys, So I have a really awkward encounter(s) with some pros that I am willing to share with you guys. Because maybe you guys will laugh at me and we can get some not so depressing comments. It was 2015, I went to Philadelphia for the Emerica X Lakai Stay Flared tour. I was stoked and nervous at the same time, Because I had never met any pros and at this stage in my life I was an Idolizer which I was kinda obsessive. So when I went to Pains Park and saw Reynolds, Herman, Carroll, Howard, Westgate, Figgy it was like a pure what the fuck moment. So In my mind I was going fucking nuts. I was not really acting myself I went up to Rick Howard and said I am so happy you here everyone Is happy you came out, And he was faded looked at me said nothing and I walked away. So then I saw Mike Carroll and the only thing I could say to him is out of being completely nervous. Where can I buy Royal trucks I can not seem to find them anywhere online (at this time they were on hiatus). He said they will be out soon you will be able to get them online or at your skate shop. But as I said all that keeping all my emotions in it came off super aggressive. He just kinda stared at me and listened as I asked him, Like He was confused (why is this kid asking about skateboard trucks) and Then I saw westgate That was a cool encounter hes a really nice person. Sitting next to him tho was figgy.. And I basicly just stared blanky at him he put his beer up as like cheers gesture. I was like that is figgy. And then I made the cardinal sin. Ok so I believe Heath was the TM at that time so I went up to him not knowing it was Heath, And I said..out of completely being nervous my brain being melted I said does Reynolds still do his switch frontside flips like Muska flips. And he said "Don't ask him that' very like "your going to get your ass beat if you say that" That was the vibe I got. 15 year old me believed it, So.. the event was ending. And Herm got on the mic and started doing a prize throw if you answered his questions, He would give you gear. one thing he had called out was "Who has the worst shoes" At the time I had really blown out telford's I had gotten off ebay new. That shoe was not out for like 5 years at that point. I took it off my foot held it in the air he said "Damn that shoe looks like it needs to be on the myth busters fuck" threw me 2 shirts some kids tried to jack me. I kept my shit. The day ended and me and friends were on our way home and fucking Spak farted in the car with 3 people in the backseat crammed in a honda civic we almost died. But yea that is my story.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:25:58 PM by therealstreetpirate »

nomis7

• Rep: 2
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2020, 04:10:24 AM »
Harold Hunter
not really a meeting but more of a sighting.. Me and my family took a trip to NYC during Christmas 03'  and were walking down Time Square, it's super crowded but I hear this unique ass voice I recognized so I look up and see Harold Hunter walk past me on his cell phone.. I was shocked.

Jeff Pang
During Tampa Pro one year my dumb ass was standing on the railing watching the moat race and someone threw a brand new deck right in front of me near the moat so I instinctively jump on it but so does someone else and it's a girl... I let her have it but only after I'm covered in shit and I've ruined my brand new tan Penny's.  Anyways they wouldn't let me back in the park covered in shit so I was outside freezing my ass off and Jeff Pang walked by me and asked me my shirt size and ran back in the park and came out with two new Zoo shirts.  I put one on and got back in. Thanks Jeff!  pretty sure there's a picture someone on the spot site of me outside the park covered in shit. early 00's

chappers

« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2020, 05:04:05 AM »
Harold Hunter
not really a meeting but more of a sighting.. Me and my family took a trip to NYC during Christmas 03'  and were walking down Time Square, it's super crowded but I hear this unique ass voice I recognized so I look up and see Harold Hunter walk past me on his cell phone.. I was shocked.

Jeff Pang
During Tampa Pro one year my dumb ass was standing on the railing watching the moat race and someone threw a brand new deck right in front of me near the moat so I instinctively jump on it but so does someone else and it's a girl... I let her have it but only after I'm covered in shit and I've ruined my brand new tan Penny's.  Anyways they wouldn't let me back in the park covered in shit so I was outside freezing my ass off and Jeff Pang walked by me and asked me my shirt size and ran back in the park and came out with two new Zoo shirts. I put one on and got back in. Thanks Jeff!  pretty sure there's a picture someone on the spot site of me outside the park covered in shit. early 00's

This rules

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2020, 06:05:49 AM »
I accidentally bumped into Marisa Del Santo while she was getting some popcorn at the premier of Ramblin’. I knocked a little bit out of the bucket and she was like don’t worry about it dude.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Fernandito

« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »
I saw Ben Kadow at LES and ignored him because we’re the same age and i assumed he would cool guy me
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:35:26 AM by Fernandito »

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
my mom did dave duncan :(
Wish I was joking.
Dave Duncan is not a pro

Fernandito

« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »
I ran into Mark Suciu and forgot that I wasn’t 14 for a second. I just greeted him and complimented him and complimented him on his verso part but obviously seemed a little too excited to meet the guy and had to approach him from the side in front of his friends
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:42:43 PM by Fernandito »

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »
I saw Ben Kadow at LES and ignored him because we’re the same age and i assumed he would cool guy me

I ran into Benjamin Kachow in NY right after Hockey came out. I was riding a red goalie mask hockey graphic and he said it was a rad board. A few months later he was on Hockey so y’all can thank me for that;)
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
I met Lee Smith a lot over the course of 15-20 years via having a few mutual friends.   Time after time after time I'd just say hello and whaddup to him when running into him with these same friends.    After way too many cool guy looks of "who the fuck are you" or just no response I decided like I would with anyone its not worth spending any energy even saying hi.

The first time I ignored him at during yet another random passing with my buddy...Lee got super craze "why aren't you saying hello to me"  "why are you cool guying me".   

I wanted to say it was because he rode for Santa Cruz but that would have been a lie.  I just laughed. 

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #499 on: March 09, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
Midish 00’s saw the Es team on an elevator in Toronto, froze until the doors closed

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #500 on: March 09, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
I met Lee Smith a lot over the course of 15-20 years via having a few mutual friends.   Time after time after time I'd just say hello and whaddup to him when running into him with these same friends.    After way too many cool guy looks of "who the fuck are you" or just no response I decided like I would with anyone its not worth spending any energy even saying hi.

The first time I ignored him at during yet another random passing with my buddy...Lee got super craze "why aren't you saying hello to me"  "why are you cool guying me".   

I wanted to say it was because he rode for Santa Cruz but that would have been a lie.  I just laughed.
Good for you bro, He is a douche

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #501 on: March 09, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
I’ve met him a cpl times but one time i met emanuel guzman’s mom at a little caesers waiting in line. She could tell i skated and asked if i knew who he was. I said that he’s the man and she was super proud and went to her car to give me stickers haha. This was right after prevent this tragedy

yougotcherjager

• Rep: -9
« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2020, 03:45:44 PM »
Yesterday I saw Bam at the LA Fitness in Hollywood.He looked healthy.... I want to see more new skate footage from him!

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Wish I was joking.
[close]
Dave Duncan is not a pro

He was bare minimum pro for Alva.

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #504 on: March 09, 2020, 04:08:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wish I was joking.
[close]
Dave Duncan is not a pro
[close]

He was bare minimum pro for Alva.
No such thing as a bare minimum pro lol, Either you Pro, Am, Or Flow.

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2020, 06:27:04 PM »
Cool guy pros ruin pro skateboarding. The only thing that seperates a pro from the springfield goofball is a different costume.

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #506 on: March 09, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
Cool guy pros ruin pro skateboarding. The only thing that seperates a pro from the springfield goofball is a different costume.
Lol

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #507 on: March 09, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »
Was really fucked up once and I remember Kyle Walker passing me a spliff and I said something and he gave me this look I'll never forget like I had just spoken Chinese.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #508 on: March 09, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Was really fucked up once and I remember Kyle Walker passing me a spliff and I said something and he gave me this look I'll never forget like I had just spoken Chinese.

yea cause u told him "你的衣服很丑"
does my user name check out

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #509 on: March 09, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yea cause u told him "你的衣服很丑"

He's gonna get carded well into his 40's.