Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 335031 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1950 on: July 03, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
Dude in no way deserved any sort of injury from this, but suing the building owner seems like some bs. Can he not sue the actual people involved?

Seems to be that they’re being held to account for not doing anything to address or stop Black Rock from being a skate spot even after repeated warnings or complaints.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1951 on: July 03, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
Wut
Does
Almost immediately fleeing country mean?
Did they leave or not? The key word is almost
Have you ever heard that bib dielan sing about tired wild horses?
I kinda always hated on Dylan but that song really is good.
I almost immediately felt like a horse

Immediately fleeing the country - he ran to Mexico straight after the incident occurred

Almost immediately - took him and Dela  a day or so to leave the country

mushroom slice

« Reply #1952 on: July 03, 2021, 05:52:53 PM »
Main question.  How you guys know all this anyway? When I look at it all I see some bad shit. No doubt. But also I see people saying things that are not actually true at all and if you read the whole damn thread( I did) you see it’s not so clear. Not from this threads point of viewZ and said with such authority that I wonder how do you know with such authority?
Even the jury was hung so why would slap ever be 100 about it either way? People are gonna disagree on who’s to blame.  Shit sucks. I feel for Dan. My old man had a traumatic brain injury so it’s not like I’m sympsizing with beating fools down. I know first hand what it is like to care for someone that isn’t all there. It’s not easy. I also watched the video and no one was beating fools in the head with skateboards. Looks like a buncha adults acted like kids and then someone got popped and when they went down they hit their head. Tons of grey area there. But also how tha fuck would I know? I’m
On the outside looking in.

conqueso

« Reply #1953 on: July 03, 2021, 05:55:47 PM »

You dudes must not have read the thread. Guy just so happend to take his girl on a trip to turkey immediately after the incident when they were looking for who did it.

fongool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 79
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1954 on: July 03, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
The tough part about his suit against his employer is that he was almost certainly operating outside the scope of his responsibility when the altercation occured. Very likely that his directive in this situation was to verbally request for the skaters to leave the property and if that did not happen then he was to involve the police in the matter. His employment contract/training had to have specifically dictated that he not get involved in a verbal or physical altercation with anyone on the property and to deescalate any such situation in order to avoid exactly this scenario.

swanronson

• Rep: -24
« Reply #1955 on: July 03, 2021, 06:45:40 PM »
The tough part about his suit against his employer is that he was almost certainly operating outside the scope of his responsibility when the altercation occured. Very likely that his directive in this situation was to verbally request for the skaters to leave the property and if that did not happen then he was to involve the police in the matter. His employment contract/training had to have specifically dictated that he not get involved in a verbal or physical altercation with anyone on the property and to deescalate any such situation in order to avoid exactly this scenario.

That maybe so but he didn’t deserve what happened to him, no one does.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1956 on: July 03, 2021, 06:55:13 PM »
It's also entirely possible that he has to sue his employer based on workman's comp law just to get whatever the state of California says he's entitled to. The money would still come from the state but out of the funds that all businesses pay into to cover their employees for on site accidents. I think this situation is what tainted Frankie Hill's name way back when.
Amazon Hesh

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -46
« Reply #1957 on: July 03, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »
If any of you guys have ever sat though a Torts class you'd know that every lawsuit like this will include as a defendant any person or entity who in any way might have some measure of liability in the situation.

There are many legit legal theories of liability that could find any one of these defendants culpable to some degree, but the most practical reason you would sue all of these defendants is that all those cool dude rapist pedophiles on GX probably have about $10k between all of them, if that. Suing them, while extremely just, isn't going to yield even a drop in the bucket for a plaintiff that has suffered life altering injuries and will probably need infinity dollars worth of healthcare going forward.

In Torts we were told in every case to make sure you find every single deep pocket that could possibly be liable and sue them too.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -141
  • ?
« Reply #1958 on: July 03, 2021, 10:24:22 PM »
It's also entirely possible that he has to sue his employer based on workman's comp law just to get whatever the state of California says he's entitled to. The money would still come from the state but out of the funds that all businesses pay into to cover their employees for on site accidents. I think this situation is what tainted Frankie Hill's name way back when.

Some good info. To clarify - are you saying that Frankie Hill sued a sponsor in order to collect unemployment?
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1959 on: July 03, 2021, 10:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some good info. To clarify - are you saying that Frankie Hill sued a sponsor in order to collect unemployment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOl9Ta0je7o
@3:25 From the horses mouth. Shoutout Nate Sherwood
Amazon Hesh

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #1960 on: July 04, 2021, 04:21:04 AM »

Even though I imagine that it stated in his contract that he must only verbally request the trespassers to vacate the property, I bet there is a culture amongst the security guards (as we see with police) that they must go above and beyond their station and do everything in their power to defend that property. And if that way of thinking is pushed by someone in seniority to that security guard, such as a manager, then that manager as a representation of that company puts the company into blame. The injured security guard in my opinion has the right to blame the company and to sue them for putting him in danger.

Companies will absolutely reward employees for going above and beyond their roll if it means the company benefits from the action. So this culture or rewarding employees for going outside their lane exists in all industries. However if the action of the employee does not benefit the company or even harms the company in any way then that company will default to the terms of the employees contract to the word and accept no responsibility.

Nobody deserves to get injured in any situation especially when they are selling their time to a corporation. The skater(s) need to be punished for the actions they took against this man if a jury of peers can find them responsible given all the evidence they are presented with. We do not have all the evidence, we are just throwing our worthless opinions around in pure speculation.

What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

duniwayRobber

• ?
« Reply #1961 on: July 04, 2021, 09:45:00 AM »

What a bummer. Skate companies should be providing health insurance, especially one as old and established as Powell.

I love how logical Frankie seems about the whole thing.

I'm a huge proponent of 'make the change you want to see', so hopefully these new, skater-originated brands are thinking about how to take care of themselves and their riders. Call me an asshole, but companies with lame terrible graphics, holding onto their now decades-old golden years while doing little to promote the future of skating can piss-off.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1962 on: July 04, 2021, 04:25:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What a bummer. Skate companies should be providing health insurance, especially one as old and established as Powell.

I'm a huge proponent of 'make the change you want to see', so hopefully these new, skater-originated brands are thinking about how to take care of themselves and their riders. Call me an asshole, but companies with lame terrible graphics, holding onto their now decades-old golden years while doing little to promote the future of skating can piss-off.

Powell still puts out boards for their old roster, Cab has had a board for decades, and still gets royalties. Frankie Hill too, they still make his boards.
How is a ‘new, skewer-oriented brand (with terrbible graphics) going to last a fraction as long as Powell and still put out boards for their alumni?

Powell has done stupid shit, and while people kook them for being a ‘nostalgie’ brand (even though they have pushed the technology for wheel, bearings, and now board longevity), you can say that they still sell boards for the riders who helped the brand succeed.

How many other brands do that 40 years in? How many brands are going to last long enough to do that?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

&& is no stranger to the female species. Hes always got some travel pussy with him in his slambulance. -Hateboard

duniwayRobber

• ?
« Reply #1963 on: July 04, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Powell still puts out boards for their old roster, Cab has had a board for decades, and still gets royalties. Frankie Hill too, they still make his boards.
How is a ‘new, skewer-oriented brand (with terrbible graphics) going to last a fraction as long as Powell and still put out boards for their alumni?

Powell has done stupid shit, and while people kook them for being a ‘nostalgie’ brand (even though they have pushed the technology for wheel, bearings, and now board longevity), you can say that they still sell boards for the riders who helped the brand succeed.

How many other brands do that 40 years in? How many brands are going to last long enough to do that?

I think my meaning was lost trying to write something witty.

I was saying that Powell is a brand with terrible graphics (minus some of Cab's and the older releases) that is riding off the coat-tails of its 30-year-old golden age, while not really doing much to fuse with, and promote, the current state of skateboarding.

I do agree that they deserve credit for their technological contributions to skateboarding and ability to fund OG-riders. I don't think the former was a 'Powell-or-it-couldnt-have-been-done' situation, and the latter is a meh point to me. The graveyards of skateboarding is littered with pro's who I cared about more than Hosoi and Cab (but I come from the 90's gen).

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1964 on: July 04, 2021, 09:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think my meaning was lost trying to write something witty.

I was saying that Powell is a brand with terrible graphics (minus some of Cab's and the older releases) that is riding off the coat-tails of its 30-year-old golden age, while not really doing much to fuse with, and promote, the current state of skateboarding.

I do agree that they deserve credit for their technological contributions to skateboarding and ability to fund OG-riders. I don't think the former was a 'Powell-or-it-couldnt-have-been-done' situation, and the latter is a meh point to me. The graveyards of skateboarding is littered with pro's who I cared about more than Hosoi and Cab (but I come from the 90's gen).

I get what you’re saying except for one.

The ‘current state of skateboarding’.

What is it? There are no more ‘singular’ cool fashions that everyone must follow. The doors blew open a while ago. So you could argue they have the skater that best represents that- &&.

But seriously, that have a great team of current riders covering all different styles of riding, and my big beef with Powell is that they don’t promote them enough. Not nearly. They need to start dropping videos again.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

&& is no stranger to the female species. Hes always got some travel pussy with him in his slambulance. -Hateboard

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #1965 on: July 04, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »
Damn. I forgot about this shit... Now makes me wonder what/how dan is doing. Can only wish him the best.

I'm not going to dig through this thread to find it, but I posted a picture a ways back of Dan in an assisted living facility that led me to believe that he is pretty much braindead from this.  I think the picture showed someone helping him eat a meal.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1966 on: July 04, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »
If Powell wasn’t around, i doubt it would change anything up for other newer brands. They’d all still suck at running over the long term. Except maybe Baker, they seem like maybe they could be the new Powell. 

Almost forgot to say fuck Brian de la Turd.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Glitch

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1967 on: July 05, 2021, 12:45:36 AM »
Man, I haven't posted in years, but fuck the GX crew, Brian Delatorre, and whoever else involved with this.
I just saw the photos of Dan in the hospital and I suffered a TBI last year wherein the person that caused it lied and left me with massive bills and I also could've died. These injuries are no joke. Dan was just doing his job, why the fuck would you attack someone trying to stop you from doing a mediocre-at-best trick? Or any trick at that matter?? Anyone that thinks that way needs to grow the fuck up and be punished to the full extent of the law. Dude is in his mid-30s with the angsty, entitled, and self-centered mentality of a 13 year old. Skateboard culture really needs to get it together. It seems so messed up lately (this, Jarne, Yonnie Cruz). Maybe it's just always been like this and it's just easier to air the bad shit out now. Rightfully so, skateboarding shouldn't exalt fucked up assholes anymore. It's 2021...

Condolences and best wishes to Dan and his friends and family. <3

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1968 on: July 05, 2021, 01:23:38 AM »
Man, I haven't posted in years, but fuck the GX crew, Brian Delatorre, and whoever else involved with this.
I just saw the photos of Dan in the hospital and I suffered a TBI last year wherein the person that caused it lied and left me with massive bills and I also could've died. These injuries are no joke. Dan was just doing his job, why the fuck would you attack someone trying to stop you from doing a mediocre-at-best trick? Or any trick at that matter?? Anyone that thinks that way needs to grow the fuck up and be punished to the full extent of the law. Dude is in his mid-30s with the angsty, entitled, and self-centered mentality of a 13 year old. Skateboard culture really needs to get it together. It seems so messed up lately (this, Jarne, Yonnie Cruz). Maybe it's just always been like this and it's just easier to air the bad shit out now. Rightfully so, skateboarding shouldn't exalt fucked up assholes anymore. It's 2021...

And according to the person who spoke out about Yonnie and knows all these creeps and visited Jesse in prison, he has zero remorse about how everything went down

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #1969 on: July 05, 2021, 04:53:07 AM »

Let's think logically instead of emotionally here bud, what part of physically trying to make skaters leave was in his job description? He didn't care about his job as low level security guards have it in writing not to physically touch anyone and would have been fired for his actions.

He only cared about enforcing authority he didn't actually have and felt like he was a super hero worthy of being on a cereal box but ended up the cereal bowl.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:10:37 AM by valuecommonsense »

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #1970 on: July 05, 2021, 05:39:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Dude in no way deserved any sort of injury from this, but suing the building owner seems like some bs. Can he not sue the actual people involved?
[close]

Seems to be that they’re being held to account for not doing anything to address or stop Black Rock from being a skate spot even after repeated warnings or complaints.
I would think the reason for doing this is if Black Rock is own by a big corporation that owns tons of real estate they may just try to have their insurance settle out, rather than have a drawn out court battle. Type of thing where they cut homie a 20Grand check rather than spend way more than that with a court battle over there head.

duniwayRobber

• ?
« Reply #1971 on: July 05, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »

What is it? There are no more ‘singular’ cool fashions that everyone must follow. The doors blew open a while ago. So you could argue they have the skater that best represents that- &&.

But seriously, that have a great team of current riders covering all different styles of riding, and my big beef with Powell is that they don’t promote them enough. Not nearly. They need to start dropping videos again.

I'm with you and meant that they should be fostering their own current state of skateboarding.

Expand Quote
[close]

'I was supposed to have a job where I could just sit on my butt and watch the tvs'. If security is supposed to call the cops at the first sight of real trouble, what else was that guy's job besides kicking out skaters and telling visitors what floor the bathrooms were on?

It seems like he was out of his jurisdiction and is trying to put the blame for his actions (and those of the skaters) on someone else.

EDIT: I just realized that you were probably clarifying what his suit was about, not really trying to defend it. Man, I'm an argumentative sally.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:33:07 AM by duniwayRobber »

wane brady

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1972 on: July 05, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
“i tried to assert my authority at black rock and all i got was this lousy head injury and t shirt”

OldSkater

• Rep: -53
« Reply #1973 on: July 05, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Let's think logically instead of emotionally here bud, what part of physically trying to make skaters leave was in his job description? He didn't care about his job as low level security guards have it in writing not to physically touch anyone and would have been fired for his actions.

He only cared about enforcing authority he didn't actually have and felt like he was a super hero worthy of being on a cereal box but ended up the cereal bowl.

I disagree with you and im just gonna give two points.

1. the skaters could just fucking leave at any point to end the confrontation. this was what, the second or third time they were there riling up the same dude?

2. under capitalism, you dont have to have something be in your job description for something to be a part of your job. Every single job i have ever had, has had job expectations that were not in the job description.  He could absolutely have been fired for letting them skate the spot, and probably wouldnt even get to collect unemployment.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -687
« Reply #1974 on: July 05, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

1. the skaters could just fucking leave at any point to end the confrontation. this was what, the second or third time they were there riling up the same dude?

2. under capitalism, you dont have to have something be in your job description for something to be a part of your job. Every single job i have ever had, has had job expectations that were not in the job description.  He could absolutely have been fired for letting them skate the spot, and probably wouldnt even get to collect unemployment.

I can't fathom anyone arguing the side of the GX guys here.

He asked them to leave... And they gave brain damage.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1975 on: July 05, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm with you and meant that they should be fostering their own current state of skateboarding.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

'I was supposed to have a job where I could just sit on my butt and watch the tvs'. If security is supposed to call the cops at the first sight of real trouble, what else was that guy's job besides kicking out skaters and telling visitors what floor the bathrooms were on?

It seems like he was out of his jurisdiction and is trying to put the blame for his actions (and those of the skaters) on someone else.

EDIT: I just realized that you were probably clarifying what his suit was about, not really trying to defend it. Man, I'm an argumentative sally.

Yeah, just talking about a part of the brief that mentions that owners hadn’t done anything to significantly stop skateboarding despite repeated complaints from tenants and pedestrians

valuecommonsense

« Reply #1976 on: July 05, 2021, 01:06:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

1. He could have just phoned the cops, let's not act like his only option was an altercation.

2. In your mind the only two options are letting them skate the spot and a physical altercation? Reality is you have zero idea what you are talking about, if he wasn't forced into retirement he would have been fired without unemployment, to the company it goes both ways as a skater could have been turned into a cereal bowl and suing them for millions right now, lucky for them it was the security guard.

Also if you think i'm standing up for any of the gx guys you are an emotionally driven mess.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1977 on: July 05, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »
You do present an air of “he kinda deserved it” because he was not explicitly authorized to act the way he did. This man’s life is destroyed, he may not even be aware his life is destroyed, and the people who love him are burdened for the rest of his and their life. The “weeeeellll actually he wasn’t supposed to be doing…” line of thought is obvious to everyone, unnecessary, and just generally… distasteful.

valuecommonsense

« Reply #1978 on: July 05, 2021, 01:37:47 PM »
You do present an air of “he kinda deserved it” because he was not explicitly authorized to act the way he did. This man’s life is destroyed, he may not even be aware his life is destroyed, and the people who love him are burdened for the rest of his and their life. The “weeeeellll actually he wasn’t supposed to be doing…” line of thought is obvious to everyone, unnecessary, and just generally… distasteful.
Here's the thing I would have agreed with you in the past but now i realize how many people search for jobs not for the money but for the authority and power it gives them over other humans. I don't think it's unnecessary to roast the one guy it caught up too when many of these power trippers will try to ruin people's lives, assault them and sometimes even kill someone and get away with it.

wane brady

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1979 on: July 05, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Here's the thing I would have agreed with you in the past but now i realize how many people search for jobs not for the money but for the authority and power it gives them over other humans. I don't think it's unnecessary to roast the one guy it caught up too when many of these power trippers will try to ruin people's lives, assault them and sometimes even kill someone and get away with it.

this dude was a security guard not a cop. when was the last time a security guard killed someone