Author Topic: removing graphics from decks  (Read 7662 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
removing graphics from decks
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:12:41 AM »
my locals doing a few mystery deck deals for £30 and from my presumption of mystery decks being the sale gear that hasnt sold itll probably be a pizza deck or some other bs so im wondering whats the best way i can just strip the graphic off the shit? paint thinners or sandpaper and elbow grease? cheers.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
Re: removing graphics from decks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing, I want to get one of those Blind reissues, the football ones, but I can't stand those edgey kid graphics.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Spray paint boys. Fuck removing anything.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
nail polish/acetone remover and a cloth works. takes some time but you wont fuck up the wood underneath. do it outside with some fresh air though. then throw some clear coat on over top and you are good.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »

You're gonna be using a whole bunch of spray paint. I painted over a Jason Jessee deck once I figured out that he was a fucking nazi and getting it to a point where the graphic does not shine through took a shit ton of paint. I used two different colours but in total it was probably more than a can. Next time I'm painting a deck, I'm surely gonna remove the graphic first.

Not Local

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
Rough grit to get the graphic off. Smooth it out with some lighter grit sand paper. Spray and then clear coat?

Use a power sander and it will take minutes.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
Sounds like a waste of time/ effort just to hide a graphic that is inevitably going to be trashed anyway. If you sand the graphic off, you're gonna want to use clear coat to "seal" the raw wood again. To make it easy, I'd just use a coat of black spray paint over whatever graphic is there to hide it a little and just skate it. Do alot of slide tricks too.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
just skate it you fucking idiot.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
xylene

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
palm sander is the easiest, works great ive done it many times, not worth it by hand

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
palm sander is the easiest, works great ive done it many times, not worth it by hand

palm sander first, smooth it down with hand. done it countless times and it works well

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
i used an orbital sander and clear-coated the bottom after removing the graphic, worked well and the whole process takes about 15 minutes.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Washed Up Guy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »
sand paper and a decent arm

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
just skate it you fucking idiot.

Nah having a wack graphic throws off my skating. It's like having the wrong kit on, that shit's for me and if I'm not hyped on it the shoes aren't hyped, and they do all the skating.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're gonna be using a whole bunch of spray paint. I painted over a Jason Jessee deck once I figured out that he was a fucking nazi and getting it to a point where the graphic does not shine through took a shit ton of paint. I used two different colours but in total it was probably more than a can. Next time I'm painting a deck, I'm surely gonna remove the graphic first.
Or just buy some decent graffiti paint, they have way more pigment on ’em than the hardware stuff. Made to cover almost anything with single layer
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:27:52 PM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Or just buy some decent graffiti paint, they have way more pigment on ’em.

i’ve used montana 94 and it works great with not a lot of paint .

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Interesting. 🤔  I dunno shit about painting. I figured it's all about the same and bought the cheapest stuff from Motonet. 😊 Got any recommendations on where to get these decent graffiti paints?

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »
When I saw this thread title, I thought it was gonna be the guy from the mystery box thread that got a deck with furries on it.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Interesting. 🤔  I dunno shit about painting. I figured it's all about the same and bought the cheapest stuff from Motonet. 😊 Got any recommendations on where to get these decent graffiti paints?
Yeah man, difference is like a night and day between Motonet’s crappy maston cans or whatever they are selling and proper stuff that is made for painting trains etc. Get yourself some belton molotow or montana’s cans and you’ll see 😎 I don’t have a clue who sells them here now as rcm is closed...sorry.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:38:39 PM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
Removed a graphic once with only leftover scraps of griptape I had lying around from a few past boards; it literally took forever.
Did it with a electric sander the next time around and it took less than five minutes.
Never used any sort of chemical to remove the graphic, seems kinda sketch to me.

I sand the graphic off here and there when I'm not a big fan of the graphic and I'm in the mood to be creative and do something custom, but that rarely happens because I'm so damn lazy. Last time must've been years ago.
Spray a few coats of clear spray paint over it when you're done and you should be good to go.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 02:10:17 AM »
i used an orbital sander and clear-coated the bottom after removing the graphic, worked well and the whole process takes about 15 minutes.

I'm really sketched out about removing any wood, so sanding, especially with an orbital sander, is a no-no for me. If you aren't careful you will remove wood in some areas more than others too, which gives you a wavy result.

Acetone of Methyl Ethyl Ketone both remove graphics well, but too much can weaken the glue bonds of the plies of wood... which also sketches me out.

So, I take the long route and scrape the graphic with a brand new blade, like the ones you use to cut griptape.

Takes awhile, but much easier to finesse and remove only the paint or heat transfer.

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 02:19:27 AM »
noseslides, tailslides, boardslides.
both frontside and backside, of course.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah man, difference is like a night and day between Motonet’s crappy maston cans or whatever they are selling and proper stuff that is made for painting trains etc. Get yourself some belton molotow or montana’s cans and you’ll see 😎 I don’t have a clue who sells them here now as rcm is closed...sorry.

yeah i dunno why i didnt think of just painting it, obviously shit like rusto with a stock cap will take forever but  montana and a pink dot fat cap will cover the shit in about 10 seconds flat

cheers for all the input fellas

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:22 AM »
My last deck was an old shop board I took the graphic off
Lil bit of acetone a lil grip and can of clear coat and shit came up good it was a natural stain.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
6 or 7 boardslides on a nicely painted double sided curb and you'll forget all about that graphic

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm really sketched out about removing any wood, so sanding, especially with an orbital sander, is a no-no for me. If you aren't careful you will remove wood in some areas more than others too, which gives you a wavy result.

Acetone of Methyl Ethyl Ketone both remove graphics well, but too much can weaken the glue bonds of the plies of wood... which also sketches me out.

So, I take the long route and scrape the graphic with a brand new blade, like the ones you use to cut griptape.

Takes awhile, but much easier to finesse and remove only the paint or heat transfer.

the sandpaper i used on it was kinda 'slippery' (i can't think of a different way to say it), like worn down griptape, and it took more time but it didn't damage the wood, the board didn't last any shorter than usual or sth
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »

the sandpaper i used on it was kinda 'slippery' (i can't think of a different way to say it), like worn down griptape, and it took more time but it didn't damage the wood, the board didn't last any shorter than usual or sth

High grit sandpaper, whoever is saying it'll make the bottom ply uneven is overthinking, if you dont use a stupidly coarse paper it just brings off the heat transfer layer

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
boardslides
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »
There is actually a thing called ‘paint stripper’ which works really well for this, I assume it’s along the same lines as using acetone but maybe a bit stronger
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.