Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144737 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 30, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can attest to the width of the NASA habitats them shits felt like they tapered wider from tail to nose
[close]

forgive my ignorance... but when did this "tapering" become a thing?

i like a lot of the WKND/Quasi PS shapes for eg...
but for the life of me cant figure out why they're a 1/4" thinner at the tail...

can anyone shed some light on this?
[close]

It accentuates unnecessary large noses.....
[close]

left myself open for that with my vague ass wording...

i was more asking if there are any "performance" benefits in regards to this shape.
do they skate/feel any different to a shape that is actually the same width across the whole length?

these PS shapes begin to taper near the middle of the board, its not just the tail that is significantly thinner.

Doubt there's any science behind the shape. I'd guess since your front foot covers more real estate in terms of switching positions setting up for different tricks? But that's a total guess.

I did notice a weird shape inconsistency with Hockey decks between PS and BBS. Both are 8.38 Piscopo's. The BBS is full nosed and full throughout the whole rails of the deck, whereas the PS is widest in the middle and tapers towards the nose and tail like a (very) vague football shape.  I do wonder about how much QC/screening goes into the shapes for brands that seem all over the place (Hockey/FA, Alien/Hab etc.) vs other brands where it's insanely consistent (DLX, Quasi or something like that).   

hnnng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #541 on: October 30, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can attest to the width of the NASA habitats them shits felt like they tapered wider from tail to nose
[close]

forgive my ignorance... but when did this "tapering" become a thing?

i like a lot of the WKND/Quasi PS shapes for eg...
but for the life of me cant figure out why they're a 1/4" thinner at the tail...

can anyone shed some light on this?
[close]

It accentuates unnecessary large noses.....
[close]

left myself open for that with my vague ass wording...

i was more asking if there are any "performance" benefits in regards to this shape.
do they skate/feel any different to a shape that is actually the same width across the whole length?

these PS shapes begin to taper near the middle of the board, its not just the tail that is significantly thinner.
[close]

Doubt there's any science behind the shape. I'd guess since your front foot covers more real estate in terms of switching positions setting up for different tricks? But that's a total guess.

I did notice a weird shape inconsistency with Hockey decks between PS and BBS. Both are 8.38 Piscopo's. The BBS is full nosed and full throughout the whole rails of the deck, whereas the PS is widest in the middle and tapers towards the nose and tail like a (very) vague football shape.  I do wonder about how much QC/screening goes into the shapes for brands that seem all over the place (Hockey/FA, Alien/Hab etc.) vs other brands where it's insanely consistent (DLX, Quasi or something like that).   

i was thinking this front foot theory as well, but thought it might be too simple haha.
im glad someone else thought this as well.

I got a bunch of the new WKND boards in yesterday, the Karsten Kleppan "body parts" for eg. is stamped as an 8.5, but chuck a measure on the width, going down from the nose to the tail, and it varies from 8.625 (top bolts) down to 8.38 (bottom bolts).

its not like my back foot is any smaller than my front foot... i like that extra wood for my sz13 feet!

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #542 on: October 30, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
For as long as I know psstix boards usually have a slight taper towards the tail.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: October 30, 2019, 11:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Decided to venture off from BBS wood and set up a Crailtap deck (Chocolate) 2 weeks ago. Shit is pressure cracking like a mofo behind both trucks, and everytime I landed bolts today I could hear wood crackiling so now I'm paranoid that the next time I land bolts this deck is dead. I was actually digging the wood too..oh well, back to BBS.
[close]

Damn, I was curious if they'd improved much but that's a bummer

They've improved significantly. Wood no longer feels soft as shit after a week or two, and tail doesn't chip and give out after 3-4 weeks like the old wood did. The decks do pressure crack absurdly fast, but it has no impact on deck performance.

Ben Degros' video is accurate to my personal experience with Girl/Chocolate decks.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #544 on: October 31, 2019, 05:51:07 AM »
Madness and New Deal need to be added underneath Dwindle (DSM)

New Deal is only dwindle for the re-issues. The "re-imagined" ones (old shapes/graphics remade to fit modern tastes) are PS stix. Some of them actually look kind of interesting, and according the professor he used uncommon molds for some of them that haven't really been used for production boards before.

drewbearz

« Reply #545 on: October 31, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
Anyone skate the krooked fullshape decks?

I have an 8.38 sebo full shape and I wanted to like it so bad. I tried so hard but it sucks to flip and I skated like shit with it. I read that the full shape makes it easier to stay on the board but I didn't feel that at all. I did have shitty grip tape on it at the time though so perhaps I should give it another go.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #546 on: October 31, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Madness and New Deal need to be added underneath Dwindle (DSM)
[close]

New Deal is only dwindle for the re-issues. The "re-imagined" ones (old shapes/graphics remade to fit modern tastes) are PS stix. Some of them actually look kind of interesting, and according the professor he used uncommon molds for some of them that haven't really been used for production boards before.
I just got one of the New Deal "wtf" 8.75 Sun boards.  Love the shape, very similar to the AntiHero "full" shape Grosso I'm riding now.  Can also confirm it is PSStix.  Looking forward to set it up, been strictly riding BBS/generator for the past year or so after a poor experience with a PS Quasi.  Hopefully this one is better.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #547 on: October 31, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

I have an 8.38 sebo full shape and I wanted to like it so bad. I tried so hard but it sucks to flip and I skated like shit with it. I read that the full shape makes it easier to stay on the board but I didn't feel that at all. I did have shitty grip tape on it at the time though so perhaps I should give it another go.

The 8.38" full has a longer wheelbase than most decks and has a shortish tail. Bit of a weird shape really but I really liked mine. Takes some times to get used to for sure though.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: October 31, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 8.38" full has a longer wheelbase than most decks and has a shortish tail. Bit of a weird shape really but I really liked mine. Takes some times to get used to for sure though.

If you're looking for the 8.38 with a square-ish shape without the massive WB, check out the Krooked Manderson 8.38's. Same concept with a 14.25wb (and 32" overall).

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #549 on: October 31, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you're looking for the 8.38 with a square-ish shape without the massive WB, check out the Krooked Manderson 8.38's. Same concept with a 14.25wb (and 32" overall).

The DLX Full SEs are awesome if you want a BBS deck with a 14.25WB and square/full shape.  I wish Quasi would switch to BBS though.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: October 31, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The DLX Full SEs are awesome if you want a BBS deck with a 14.25WB and square/full shape.  I wish Quasi would switch to BBS though.

Doesn't the SE still have a 14.4" wheelbase? (at least on the 8.38's I think). Never had the full 8.38, but when i compared an older 8.5 full I had lying around to the Manderson 8.38 (Bomb graphic) the nose and tail were a lot more square than the standard full.

Woos

« Reply #551 on: October 31, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Doesn't the SE still have a 14.4" wheelbase? (at least on the 8.38's I think). Never had the full 8.38, but when i compared an older 8.5 full I had lying around to the Manderson 8.38 (Bomb graphic) the nose and tail were a lot more square than the standard full.

Oh shit I read that wrong and didn't realize it had to be 8.38.  The 8.25 is a 14.25 WB, my bad.  Going from 8.38 to 8.25 should be easy enough to do though... I find changing WB is harder than width personally.  I just went from 8.125 to 8.0 on my tech/flatground setup because Quasi's 8s have a longer wheelbase and length than their 8.125s.  My bad, I jumped on the reply button because 8.25 DLX Full SEs are one of my go to shapes.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: November 01, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh shit I read that wrong and didn't realize it had to be 8.38.  The 8.25 is a 14.25 WB, my bad.  Going from 8.38 to 8.25 should be easy enough to do though... I find changing WB is harder than width personally.  I just went from 8.125 to 8.0 on my tech/flatground setup because Quasi's 8s have a longer wheelbase and length than their 8.125s.  My bad, I jumped on the reply button because 8.25 DLX Full SEs are one of my go to shapes.

No worries. And agreed about the width vs. wb, which is why I really dug the Manderson shape when they released it. Ticks a lot of boxes for me, the full nose, standard wheelbase, and BBS wood. No complaints.

Woos

« Reply #553 on: November 01, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No worries. And agreed about the width vs. wb, which is why I really dug the Manderson shape when they released it. Ticks a lot of boxes for me, the full nose, standard wheelbase, and BBS wood. No complaints.

I might have to give that shap a try.  Thanks!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #554 on: November 04, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
Anyone know who presses Sausage? Got one recently and it looks kind of like a South Central.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #555 on: November 04, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
Could be....I always thought they were pressing their own stuff in some woodshop in pac-northwest.

bony bawk

« Reply #556 on: November 05, 2019, 06:10:39 AM »
maybe more directed to people in Oz but does anyone know where Private Joy presses their decks? same as passport?

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #557 on: November 05, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
Anyone know who presses Sausage? Got one recently and it looks kind of like a South Central.

I just picked up a couple 8.25" sausage decks and one is mellow kicks and concave from Canada and the other has medium kicks
and concave with 7k stamped in the middle of the front truck on the top sheet and is also imported so im guessing from mexico
 (Clutch possibly). It is a similar stamp to the Syndrome Dist boards from a few years ago, whoever was pressing those.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #558 on: November 05, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just picked up a couple 8.25" sausage decks and one is mellow kicks and concave from Canada and the other has medium kicks
and concave with 7k stamped in the middle of the front truck on the top sheet and is also imported so im guessing from mexico
 (Clutch possibly). It is a similar stamp to the Syndrome Dist boards from a few years ago, whoever was pressing those.

Wild, I guess they're using a few shops. The 7k or k7 sounds like clutch for sure. I kind of want to DM them.

On this one only top ply mark was a dot over the front truck, no sticker on the shrink or anywhere to indicate origin. I was thinking South Central because of how thick and flat it is. Holding up next to a DOA flat they look like they could be from the same spot.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: November 05, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wild, I guess they're using a few shops. The 7k or k7 sounds like clutch for sure. I kind of want to DM them.

On this one only top ply mark was a dot over the front truck, no sticker on the shrink or anywhere to indicate origin. I was thinking South Central because of how thick and flat it is. Holding up next to a DOA flat they look like they could be from the same spot.

Every South Central deck I've bought (DOA, Politic, Vacation, Bacon, Morning Bell) have had "Made in USA" on them. The owner of South Central gives pretty good price breaks for stating that. Also, they all had plain white round stickers indicating the size on the shrink wrap. And with the DOA flat they also have it labelled "E mold." Definitely worth sending them a DM, I've yet to get any flack for asking about woodshops when I nerd out. 

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #560 on: November 05, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Decided to venture off from BBS wood and set up a Crailtap deck (Chocolate) 2 weeks ago. Shit is pressure cracking like a mofo behind both trucks, and everytime I landed bolts today I could hear wood crackiling so now I'm paranoid that the next time I land bolts this deck is dead. I was actually digging the wood too..oh well, back to BBS.
[close]

[close]

They've improved significantly. Wood no longer feels soft as shit after a week or two, and tail doesn't chip and give out after 3-4 weeks like the old wood did. The decks do pressure crack absurdly fast, but it has no impact on deck performance.

Ben Degros' video is accurate to my personal experience with Girl/Chocolate decks.

Ah ok, fair. If I end up seeing one and the shape clicks I'll give it a shot, appreciate the info.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #561 on: November 06, 2019, 06:03:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah ok, fair. If I end up seeing one and the shape clicks I'll give it a shot, appreciate the info.

Shapes and good and the wood is better, I probably had over a year on nothing but crailtap boards once they fixed the wood because they shapes are really good for me

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #562 on: November 06, 2019, 06:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shapes and good and the wood is better, I probably had over a year on nothing but crailtap boards once they fixed the wood because they shapes are really good for me

I, a grown man, tried to focus an old Chocolate deck last night and failed 3 times so I definitely think there's something to be said. If you can get past the pressure crack weirdness they seem really solid and the shapes are consistently good.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #563 on: November 06, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Every South Central deck I've bought (DOA, Politic, Vacation, Bacon, Morning Bell) have had "Made in USA" on them. The owner of South Central gives pretty good price breaks for stating that. Also, they all had plain white round stickers indicating the size on the shrink wrap. And with the DOA flat they also have it labelled "E mold." Definitely worth sending them a DM, I've yet to get any flack for asking about woodshops when I nerd out.

Do you mean South central gives you a price break if you order s batch of decks from them with “made in usa” on it? I’m going to use them for my next batch of decks so I’m curious

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #564 on: November 06, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
Does anyone happen to know the full measurements for Politic and DOA's 8.125s and 8.25s? I refuse to order a board online without knowing the length and wb...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #565 on: November 06, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
Does anyone happen to know the full measurements for Politic and DOA's 8.125s and 8.25s? I refuse to order a board online without knowing the length and wb...

My DOA 8.25"s have all been 14.25WB and about 31.75 overall.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
Do you mean South central gives you a price break if you order s batch of decks from them with “made in usa” on it? I’m going to use them for my next batch of decks so I’m curious

Trying to find where the hell I read this, but it was recently. Might be worth it to email the owner and confirm as I'm now worried I'm talking out of my ass.

If you message Steve at DOA he'll let you know. Got back to me in like an hour about all my wheelbase nerd-ery.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #567 on: November 06, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trying to find where the hell I read this, but it was recently. Might be worth it to email the owner and confirm as I'm now worried I'm talking out of my ass.

Expand Quote
[close]

If you message Steve at DOA he'll let you know. Got back to me in like an hour about all my wheelbase nerd-ery.

Gotcha, I’ll check, thank you!

Woos

« Reply #568 on: November 10, 2019, 12:10:08 AM »
So does Skull Skates make all of their own boards or what exactly?  I've been thinking about throwing a cruiser together and I'm looking at their BA. KU. collabs and the Heroin DMODW Raven.  Not sure what one would be better quality.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #569 on: November 10, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
So does Skull Skates make all of their own boards or what exactly?  I've been thinking about throwing a cruiser together and I'm looking at their BA. KU. collabs and the Heroin DMODW Raven.  Not sure what one would be better quality.

I saw a video a few months back where they said they were made at a woodshop in Canada and how that made them better because the wood - which is grown there - didn't have to be shipped all over.  They were pretty proud that their shop decks weren't the cheaper decks that they carried, and that people were willing to pay more than average for them.