Author Topic: Show Me Your Curbs  (Read 54883 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
Re: Show Me Your Curbs
« Reply #450 on: May 29, 2023, 07:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Gonna lacquer this to fuck tomorrow. It's right beside my flat and smooth as

[close]

Is this concrete or some kind of stone?

It's marble! All the curbs in this part of the city are like that. Super slippery when wet. Alot of the older ones (this is brand new) have chunks outta them.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #451 on: May 29, 2023, 08:32:27 AM »

posted this a while back

I fixed it up , its really good again :)

I used Quikcrete Fast Drying cement. The instructions on it are terrible. You need to mix it in a pail first. I don't know if I would recommend this product again for doing huge chunks, I think using proper slow drying cement would have been better. It is a tiny bit chalky / dusty, but it definintely does work.

I found if I spray lacquer it after it dries, it kind of seals in the dust and then holds it all together and you grind right through it no problem. Have hit many sessions on it and it seems fine. Theres a few spots I could have done a bit more and I might need to go over again later cause sometimes i get caught on them, but for the most part I am grinding through it no issue and not even thinking about the chunks at all ,especially around the bend.

I did another spot

this one i did a better job on as I had more idea what I was doing. will get some better pics later but I posted up a clip of me bs 5050ing the whole thing. It had huge chunks out of it as well and it looks awesome now. there is 1 spot where it didnt work good cause i think my friend hit it too early before lettting it dry and chunked it a bit... but i think it doesnt even really matter it was such a small chunk. smaller cracks this stuff works a lot better on.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #452 on: May 29, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
@rawbertson were those chunks in the curb put there intentionally by someone trying to stop you from skating?

if i were going to fix chunks like that i'd use Spec Mix mortar, the absence of rocks and addition of lime in the mortar would make it easier to shape and get into the smaller areas... similar price to rapid set concrete.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #453 on: May 30, 2023, 06:43:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Angled curbs are pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods so coming across this spot was quite a find. 
First pics are after rub bricking.

These are after lacquer, wax, and first session.
[close]

aye, drop a pin to a fellow curb local :)
@streetmeat just sent you a DM.

Get hungry on it!

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #454 on: May 30, 2023, 06:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@ Gene_Harrogate looks good.
I just sprayed mine yesterday.

[close]

You might need more lacquer, homeslice!
[close]
It’s a possibility.
I got this and applied it with a roller.  It really lets you slather it on and is much quicker at coating the entire surface than spraying.

Get hungry on it!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #455 on: May 30, 2023, 07:05:42 AM »
@rawbertson were those chunks in the curb put there intentionally by someone trying to stop you from skating?

if i were going to fix chunks like that i'd use Spec Mix mortar, the absence of rocks and addition of lime in the mortar would make it easier to shape and get into the smaller areas... similar price to rapid set concrete.
This guy got all mad at me cause i blocked him and he smashed the spot... I unblocked him and hopefully he doesnt do it again...

Looks like Home Depot doesnt carry that product in Canada...

I think this is basically the same thing though:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/quikrete-mason-mix-type-s-36kg/1000115313

Theres a few different ones, is Type S the one I want?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #456 on: May 30, 2023, 07:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This guy got all mad at me cause i blocked him and he smashed the spot... I unblocked him and hopefully he doesnt do it again...

Wow, that's so wack of that guy... sorry you have to deal with childish people like that in your local scene

Yep type S mortar is the one you want, that's the same thing. If you do repairs with it make sure to wet the existing part of concrete before you before you put the mortar in the holes. It will help the mortar stick better and not go off so quickly.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #457 on: May 30, 2023, 10:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wow, that's so wack of that guy... sorry you have to deal with childish people like that in your local scene

Yep type S mortar is the one you want, that's the same thing. If you do repairs with it make sure to wet the existing part of concrete before you before you put the mortar in the holes. It will help the mortar stick better and not go off so quickly.

OK Thanks! I did wet the existing concrete last time before for sure, I heard Bonding Adhesive is actually the most ideal thing:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/quikrete-concrete-bonding-adhesive-946ml/1000149566

instructions say you wait until this dries and then you put the concrete on and it should stay forever from what i remember. might spend the extra $20 next time and get this stuff as well now I have a better feel for what I'm doing. thanks so much for the tips man <3 I love working with this stuff!

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #458 on: June 09, 2023, 04:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@ Gene_Harrogate looks good.
I just sprayed mine yesterday.

[close]

You might need more lacquer, homeslice!
[close]
It’s a possibility.
[close]
I got this and applied it with a roller.  It really lets you slather it on and is much quicker at coating the entire surface than spraying.
Hey dude thanks. This is what I’ve been looking for.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #459 on: July 18, 2023, 04:43:54 AM »

prepped this, Rub bricked it and 2x coats of sealer.
Just need to fill a couple gaps, coat of wax and good to go.
A heap of possibilities here. Keen to get it going. Just the other side of the car park at the curb I skate weekly. (Fuck knows how to embed Insta vids)

Here’s the one I skate weekly
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 05:01:43 AM by Orangepulp1000 »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #460 on: July 19, 2023, 05:11:29 PM »
New spot

Needs a little prep but it’s 70s or 80s concrete so it won’t chunk out easily, shaded all day, and steep enough to keep most away.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2023, 11:34:08 PM »
New curb for me- yes, it feels as cool as it looks. Please excuse my shit slappy krook

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2023, 07:53:50 AM »
New curb for me- yes, it feels as cool as it looks. Please excuse my shit slappy krook

We’re gonna need a clip with sound for this one boss. That shit is ribbed for our pleasure

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2023, 08:40:16 AM »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2023, 09:45:32 AM »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »

I tried to skate this curb and ate shit super hard, only to find out a few hours later that I had Covid and that's why I could barely stand on a skateboard.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #466 on: August 03, 2023, 06:32:40 AM »
Love it. How could you post this without sound first?! What a tease.

Also, how is that shirt? I fucking loved Ipath and I see those are for sale in my country at a somewhat reasonable price ($38 CAD). I don't know what skate brand shit is worth buying these days but I'm assuming or at least hoping companies specializing in clothing aren't printing on worthless scratchy Gildan blanks. The only skate brand clothing item I currently own, I bought on a whim like this and I got burned hard lol.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: August 03, 2023, 09:55:52 AM »
Love it. How could you post this without sound first?! What a tease.

Also, how is that shirt? I fucking loved Ipath and I see those are for sale in my country at a somewhat reasonable price ($38 CAD). I don't know what skate brand shit is worth buying these days but I'm assuming or at least hoping companies specializing in clothing aren't printing on worthless scratchy Gildan blanks. The only skate brand clothing item I currently own, I bought on a whim like this and I got burned hard lol.

Ha I never thought of uploading to YouTube until later on but that definitely should have been my first post. I like the dime shirt, the fit is nice and the material is relatively good for a skate shirt

djoekr

• Rep: 295
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2023, 02:58:55 AM »
I moved into a new, bigger city this month and I've been finding all kinds of spots. Last night I discovered a massive underground car park that's filled with yellow painted curbs and ledges. I never had the pleasure of skating one before but damn you really don't need wax when there's a thick coating of paint. Just stumbled upon it, tried some slappy 50s and ollied into them and both worked so good. The spot didn't seem like a bust, but I only skated there for about 30 minutes as I was already on my way home. I'll have to check it out again tonight as it seems like it's too good to be true. I'll make sure to snap some pics when I hit it again.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

djoekr

« Reply #469 on: August 17, 2023, 01:06:22 AM »
I moved into a new, bigger city this month and I've been finding all kinds of spots. Last night I discovered a massive underground car park that's filled with yellow painted curbs and ledges. I never had the pleasure of skating one before but damn you really don't need wax when there's a thick coating of paint. Just stumbled upon it, tried some slappy 50s and ollied into them and both worked so good. The spot didn't seem like a bust, but I only skated there for about 30 minutes as I was already on my way home. I'll have to check it out again tonight as it seems like it's too good to be true. I'll make sure to snap some pics when I hit it again.

Nvm, it's a bust. Got kicked out by security right after I entered the park last night. It's open 24h though, so I might hit it up at weird times in the night and maybe they'll be more lenient when the weather is bad. Real bummer as this was the best curb I've ever skated.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #470 on: August 17, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nvm, it's a bust. Got kicked out by security right after I entered the park last night. It's open 24h though, so I might hit it up at weird times in the night and maybe they'll be more lenient when the weather is bad. Real bummer as this was the best curb I've ever skated.

Bring the security some lunch and be like, “im not here to cause trouble, just skate — here, enjoy this In-N-Out double-double.”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #471 on: August 17, 2023, 04:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, worth becoming buddies with him.  Maybe park in there a few times and say g'day

djoekr

« Reply #472 on: August 18, 2023, 12:07:24 AM »
Might fuck around and give it a shot, but the guy didn't seem to be open to discussion. Hope the other guards are more relaxed. I'll stash some emergency food/drinks/beers the next time I'll be going there.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #473 on: August 18, 2023, 05:16:37 AM »
Might fuck around and give it a shot, but the guy didn't seem to be open to discussion. Hope the other guards are more relaxed. I'll stash some emergency food/drinks/beers the next time I'll be going there.

It’s also possible if you only come around at off-peak hours and are always chill when they ask you to leave that they’ll warm up to you, maybe even leave you alone if they recognize that you’re not wrecking up the place. I hope you get to skate that spot regularly. It sounds nice.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

djoekr

« Reply #474 on: August 18, 2023, 07:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s also possible if you only come around at off-peak hours and are always chill when they ask you to leave that they’ll warm up to you, maybe even leave you alone if they recognize that you’re not wrecking up the place. I hope you get to skate that spot regularly. It sounds nice.

I'm gonna go with this approach. Might just bring some snacks for them to get 'em through their night shift and hope that'll persuade them. I took some screenshots from a quick video I shot.

The whole place is about 200 meters of smooth concrete and these manny pad/curb combinations. There were bigger curbs in the beginning, as well as this sick downhill curb.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 07:32:01 AM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: August 25, 2023, 12:45:56 PM »
New find

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #476 on: August 28, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
technically it's a curb just not sunk into the floor lol. Randomly stumbled across it the other day, think some BMXers built it years ago. Didnt slide for shit even with copious amounts of wax, which then meant coming back a day or two later and scraping as much of the wax off as possible, hitting it with a rub brick for 30 minutes, then 2 coats clear, 2 paint and 2 clear again. slides like a dream.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #477 on: September 04, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »

Nice little curb. It’s an abandoned k mart so it’s nice & quite on this side of the strip mall. Just needs wax and not much.
https://instagram.com/stories/absolutely_americano_/3184731205354276685?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: September 04, 2023, 07:52:52 PM »

Nice little curb. It’s an abandoned k mart so it’s nice & quite on this side of the strip mall. Just needs wax and not much.
https://instagram.com/stories/absolutely_americano_/3184731205354276685?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

That’s rad. I’ve got an abandoned Kmart curb as well. Todays blue light special. Slappys.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #479 on: September 04, 2023, 08:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s rad. I’ve got an abandoned Kmart curb as well. Todays blue light special. Slappys.
Rad!