Author Topic: post shoe reviews and wear tests  (Read 5563 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
post shoe reviews and wear tests
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
Hopefully this can help some people because we are always asking on here about shoes and maybe we can have a thread to help with people posting their own shoe reviews. They don’t have to be videos. Text review is good too.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:43:45 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: DC Syntax and Kalis lite review
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
good review voice.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
Re: DC Syntax and Kalis lite review
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
Post shoe reviews and wear test
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
Kalis Lite and Etnies Czar.
I’m working on eS Symbol review next. It should be ready on Christmas EVE!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:15:10 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
Re: post shoe reviews and wear tests
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 06:45:23 AM »
Sorry if anyone finds this thread super annoying.
I just want people to love,buy,skate and be slightly informed about the shoes we consider buying.
Accel OG
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:13:08 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »
Missed this thread before. I like it and I like your reviews. I just started skating a pair of State Elgins. Even though it's a discontinued model, I was thinking of possibly writing up a review once they're done. Also your Lynx review had an effect in me getting a pair. Getting me more into this puffy & baggy revival.  :D

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 07:58:40 AM »
Sorry if anyone finds this thread super annoying.
I just want people to love,buy, and skate their shoes.
Accel OG

That was a great review, short and to the point! Would like to hear your take on the Accel Slim. I tried on a pair 2 weeks ago but the cupsole felt too stiff for me. It didn't have the ready-to-skate feel of a vulcanized shoe. That said, I'm still nostalgic about the Accels and may reconsider them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Heather Chandler

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
Nice reviews. I have some accels on ice in my closet. Once you embrace the bulk, the rest is pure comfort.

Edit: maybe add shoe and board size you're using in the video, as well as close ups on board. Only because it looks like most would be considered part of the "bulkier" variety, which will cause a lot of people to immediately stereotype how they may look on board.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 01:21:40 PM by Heather Chandler »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
Nice reviews. I have some accels on ice in my closet. Once you embrace the bulk, the rest is pure comfort.

Edit: maybe add shoe and board size you're using in the video, as well as close ups on board. Only because it looks like most would be considered part of the "bulkier" variety, which will cause a lot of people to immediately stereotype how they may look on board.
Letting people know my shoe and board size is great idea thanks. I gotta remember that for future videos and I will go back and add that info to the description section of the reviews I have already posted.
eS SYMBOL review is up!

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote

Accel
[close]

That was a great review, short and to the point! Would like to hear your take on the Accel Slim. I tried on a pair 2 weeks ago but the cupsole felt too stiff for me. It didn't have the ready-to-skate feel of a vulcanized shoe. That said, I'm still nostalgic about the Accels and may reconsider them.
Thanks! I have a pair of Accel Slims in my closet that I’ve only worn once. I will consider doing that one in the future! Def felt stiff the only day I’ve worn them.

Missed this thread before. I like it and I like your reviews. I just started skating a pair of State Elgins. Even though it's a discontinued model, I was thinking of possibly writing up a review once they're done. Also your Lynx review had an effect in me getting a pair. Getting me more into this puffy & baggy revival.  :D
Hell yeah! Good idea too, even if the states are discontinued.

eS tribo is the shoe I have planned for next review and skating. Hopefully January or Feb 2020 that video will be ready.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
Hey skating the DC JK 1 - Pretty awesome cupsole. Just skated em over the weekend and have a lot of good things to say. Lets see how they hold up. Ill post before and after photos!

Good thread idea.. lets hope it doesn't get sloppy.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
Reebok revenge and DC Penza

Edit on the DC Penza, you might want to go up half a size. I tried them on today for the first time in a while and the toe area is tighter than I remembered even tho the shoes are fully broken in.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
Mini "review" of:

Adidas Matchbreak super
+ Very Comfy
+ Durability seems on point

- Too tall vulc sole for me.
- Not good enough grip
- Too warm - All leather/suede breaths better then this BS stuff
- Heel lock is not sufficient

Note! Ive only skated them 3 sessions. I suspect grip will improve, and so will the flick once the tall sole wears down, which seems to take some time. Heel lock is just sad... Even when I tighten them insanly snug, there's minor lift. And its not like Adidas isent narrow in the mid/heel area.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:58:02 AM by Vintagebody »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
Anyone rode the Kalis Vulc? I know the Kalis SE is pretty well received here but they are sold out where I am.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
eS Scheme
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
thx for putting the years up otherwise i wouldn't know what decade this thread is from
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
eS Scheme

Just wanted to say thanks for the review on the symbol. I just got some yellow ones. It was spot on.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »
I did the eS Tribo it anyone is still considering buying them. I think more colors are coming out.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
I did the eS Tribo it anyone is still considering buying them. I think more colors are coming out.

You try the omegas yet? They look sick

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I just got them in the mail today. First impression they fit me tighter than eS Accel OG, symbol, Scheme, and Tribo.
Very tight on the side of my pinky toes. But hopefully that mellows out as they break in. I’m gonna skate them today.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I just got them in the mail today. First impression they fit me tighter than eS Accel OG, symbol, Scheme, and Tribo.
Very tight on the side of my pinky toes. But hopefully that mellows out as they break in. I’m gonna skate them today.

They look like they have the same soles as the Silos and I had the same issue until I did the following:

Take a razor and cut out excess fabric on the inside by the toe. The seamstress May have bunched the material in that area. I then purchased super thin socks. After that the Silos felt great.

It is a shame es makes bulky shoes and then hops on the narrow toe flick bandwagon.

Hence, all the wide ass shoe threads.

Thanks for keeping in 1999 johnes

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:31 PM »
nice review again, love those fs board pop over to fakies you do.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 08:36:44 PM »
You're great at those reviews

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 02:47:29 AM »
Here's my experience with trying and owning some of the retro Es shoes:

-Scheme: TTS. Puffy! But not heavy puffy like the Symbol is. Quite comfortable but still flexible for a poofy shoe.
-Silo: TTS. Super comfortable and properly spacious in the toe. Best toe box shape/fit on this sole. Best ratio of padding to fit for a retro-inspired model!
-Symbol: Small. 0.5 size up at least to fit somewhat comfortable
 They just felt off and skated ok at best. Would never buy again. Toe shape is weird and the tongue felt heavy, like it pressed down on my feet, instead of resting on it.
-Sparta: Small. 0.5 size up. Somewhat similar to the Symbol but not as bad and closer to the Scheme in fit and comfort.

Haven't tried Omega or Tribo yet, though!

If you want a modern take on 90s/00s puffy shoe, go with the Silo, it is the most realistic option if you aren't in either the slim or the puffy shoe camp!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:38 AM »

-Scheme: TTS. Puffy! But not heavy puffy like the Symbol is. Quite comfortable but still flexible for a poofy shoe.
-Silo: TTS. Super comfortable and properly spacious in the toe. Best toe box shape/fit on this sole. Best ratio of padding to fit for a retro-inspired model!
 They just felt off and skated ok at best. Would never buy again. Toe shape is weird and the tongue felt heavy, like it pressed down on my feet, instead of resting on it.
-Sparta: Small. 0.5 size up. Somewhat similar to the Symbol but not as bad and closer to the Scheme in fit and comfort.

If you want a modern take on 90s/00s puffy shoe, go with the Silo, it is the most realistic option if you aren't in either the slim or the puffy shoe camp!
lol those are some of the reasons I like the symbol the most. I have a pair of silos that I use for work because I hate skatin in shoes that have any mesh material. Do all of these models use the same sole?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
lol those are some of the reasons I like the symbol the most. I have a pair of silos that I use for work because I hate skatin in shoes that have any mesh material. Do all of these models use the same sole?
Symbol actually fits me pretty perfectly and I love the toe shape and flick.
These omegas aren’t as tight now that I’ve got about 6 hours of skating in them. I already tore aomg chunk of fabric on the collar by the laces on my front foot. At least a positive note: I don’t have to choke these laces at all. .
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 12:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hahah! Guess it just didn't sit well with me. The toe didn't look as clean in its lookdown factor and paneling as the Silo or the Scheme does, imo. It looked like an awkward boxy shape to me and it bothered me whenever I wore them. If you like it, I'm stoked for ya!
The tongue felt suffocating (too poofy almost) like the Accel OG, except it never broke in for me to get comfy like it did on the Silo/Accel OG.
All (not the Tribo) that I listed have the same sole but not the same sizing/fit for using that sole, which is odd. Others have had better experience, like Johnes, with these models, so definitely take their input, too!
I'm used to skating Accel OG, Silo, Etnies Marana, Joslin, DC Maswell, and some Vans so maybe I'm not as used to these silhouettes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Super Champion Fun Zone

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 08:29:41 AM »
eS Omega
Biggest issue with the shoe is that people will likely need to go up half a size or maybe even a full size, other than that, they’re great.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
I write for a friend’s site and we semi-recently put this out
https://skatepunk.eu/2020/07/01/vans-elijah-berle-pro-review/
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.