Author Topic: Skateboarding & Urban Planning  (Read 5858 times)

bigjosiedog

Skateboarding & Urban Planning
« on: March 28, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
I am doing research for a class revolved around urban planning, and I need some insight: Obviously, urban planning and skateboarding go hand in hand.  I've done some research and been pointed in the direction of Ocean Howell, Ian Borden, and alike.  Do any pals have any more relevant ideas / insights into a topic such as this? Danke schön!

curbslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
Re: Skateboarding & Urban Planning
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/daniyabar/    dont know if this will help but this dude makes some tight shit that would be sick in public spaces scroll around 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
Look up Raphaël Zarka's studies on space in general, maybe you'll find stuff that would be relevant to you, they echo and prolong Ocean's general reflections on the matter, not sure of how much is available online but he's written a few essays and books about the relationship of skateboarding with urban spaces

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 03:27:33 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really. I imagine that a city that built a plaza for city use but actively invited skateboarding into it would either soon realize that hooligan troublemaking snot-blowing fun-having noise-making, rottin tootin, board flippin, slang-speakin whippersnapper kiddos on skateboards aren't worth dealing with and would just ban it there anyway. If they did end up taming it, skateboarding would become lame as fuck because there would undoubtedly be some stupid ass rules that men in ties would make the blue men enforce.

Works Cited
1. Nickelodeon, Rocket Power. Season Idc, Episode Idk. "Skatopia". Early 2000s.

Best of luck with your research

Front Crunt

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:34:09 PM »

redcurb12

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really. I imagine that a city that built a plaza for city use but actively invited skateboarding into it would either soon realize that hooligan troublemaking snot-blowing fun-having noise-making, rottin tootin, board flippin, slang-speakin whippersnapper kiddos on skateboards aren't worth dealing with and would just ban it there anyway. If they did end up taming it, skateboarding would become lame as fuck because there would undoubtedly be some stupid ass rules that men in ties would make the blue men enforce.

Works Cited

in canada we actually do have a public park that's open for skateboarders to use. it's really just an ice skating rink with a stage in the middle of this big public park. in the warmer months there are concrete ledges that can be pulled out to skate.

Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote

Works Cited

[close]

in canada we actually do have a public park that's open for skateboarders to use. it's really just an ice skating rink with a stage in the middle of this big public park. in the warmer months there are concrete ledges that can be pulled out to skate.

That sounds like a really good system especially if nobody besides skaters really uses the park in the summer..interesting idea of using the same space as two different venues. Is there a lot of footage of this place cause i havent seen much of this spot other than in Yes We Canada. I'm also an ignorant American
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:10:55 PM by roomservice »

redcurb12

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 04:25:32 PM »
it was a really common spot to see in the 2000s but mostly just canadian stuff i think.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Look up Raphaël Zarka's studies on space in general, maybe you'll find stuff that would be relevant to you, they echo and prolong Ocean's general reflections on the matter, not sure of how much is available online but he's written a few essays and books about the relationship of skateboarding with urban spaces
[close]

Very cool - I feel like this type of stuff offers more opportunity for creativity in how you skate it vs. something like a quarterpipe that strongly suggests a specific way to use it.

https://www.cobosocial.com/art-and-design/video-raphael-zarkas-new-work-combines-art-and-skateboarding-art-stage-singapore-2016/

That's funny you'd mention quarterpipes actually - one of Zarka's latest works is a cycloid ramp (as opposed to normal skate ramps typically built around the radius of a semi circle): https://www.lesabattoirs.org/en/expositions/raphael-zarka-cycloid-ramp supposedly the fastest one in the world by nature.

the yellow parts are the usual semi circle, the rest is cycloid

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »
That is true, what I've been witnessing myself is a lot of formerly 'public' space getting privatized. Shop and business owners pretty much own the streets now, and tourism is so prevalent everything has to look clean. In a way that kind of is an extension of Ocean's point regarding skateboarders unwillingly gentrifying places; we're just past a point in history where that's been done now, and we're no longer needed, or welcome (and are instead redirected to all these new parks). In a way the act of (street) skateboarding is a demonstration of resistance against consumerism more than ever nowadays; it always was by essence, but now everything seems under heavier corporate scrutiny.

I also think how Leo Valls has been working on integrating skateboarding to his hometown of Bordeaux (which for ten years had the most aggressive approach to skateboarding with tickets being handed out left and right, trials etc.) with the city hall is really interesting. He basically made skateboarding all of downtown legal again (on certain hours) by himself, and having the authorities' approval allows him to push the scene in interesting ways and come up with crazy concepts like this: https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/play

You might also dig some of the stuff my friend Arthur Chiron does (a disciple of Zarka's): https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/inside-out

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »
I’m a skateboarding urban planner. Ask me anything.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 01:29:08 AM »
The Riverside Museum in Glasgow, UK - designed by Zaha Hadid Architects in 2013 - has incorporated skate friendly elements in its design.  Long ledges span either side of the front doors, and skateboarders have always been welcome to use them.  This notion worked fine when skaters used the space after closing time, but during the day when visitors were flooding in and out of the building it became an issue......and so a little bit of time and money was spent modifying the environment at the rear of the building with skateboarding specifically in mind.....banks and ledges etc were created to draw skaters away from the entrance and it has worked for everybody.  Its a great example of designers and administrators thinking about skateboarding as a positive, rather than a negative. 

seen here:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BvjIKmWFYFx/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:33:04 AM by breezer »

ratherwatch

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 04:10:20 AM »
Certainly the incorporation of skateable objects into urban space instead of distinct skate areas/parks is interesting.  I was talking to a designer for a large city who said that since the city was dragging its heels on building a large park he and his team were surreptitiously inserting skateable ledges and other things into designs throughout the city.  Sort of official guerrilla activity.

breakingthewaves

• Rep: -4
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
there was a great case study on the vancouver skate plaza which i can't find online anymore discussing repurposing of a space previously occupied by junkies and also placement of a skateable bench near a skytrain exit to encourage skaters to take a certain stop to get to the park.
You and your fucking radio

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNG4VXYPYf4
This guy's got this thing:
https://jannesaario.com/
It's parks but many with a twist of urban planning.

Gustav Eden from Malmö has done a lot for his city in this field.
Check this:
http://www.freeskatemag.com/2016/11/09/inside-man-gustav-eden/
And this:
http://skatemalmo.se/

Also Copenhagen is a mecca where they mix skateparks into city landscape but I'm not who's the man there.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

topblagger

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
If no ones mentioned it that DVD "Groundbreaking" might be worth a look.
After a flick through these comments it might be a bit basic but it's worth a look.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Works Cited

[close]

[close]
That sounds like a really good system especially if nobody besides skaters really uses the park in the summer..interesting idea of using the same space as two different venues. Is there a lot of footage of this place cause i havent seen much of this spot other than in Yes We Canada. I'm also an ignorant American

I associate this spot with Ryan Blaxall and Darrel Smith, both legends in their own right, they started Studio skateboards if you know that company. some nice lines in nota bene

https://vimeo.com/25042694

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 02:20:39 AM »

Works Cited

Well we have some perfect counter examples to your paragraph in Paris, Republique & Bastille plazas.

From a city pov, skateboarders seem to be way better than any shady population as they partly push these away
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:22:22 AM by BALARGUE »

Burnt_Reynolds

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Works Cited

[close]

This spot jumped out at me watching Elementality vol 1 this morning.
I think Colt Cannon rips through there a couple times.
Shalom!☕💰

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
I actually did a project on these subjects in college. This is getting into a more academic realm of public spaces but I found this guy William H. Whyte to be really informative. I would recommend lighting a jay and settling in to watch the video, I know it's long but it's pretty insightful from an ethnographic perspective.

https://www.pps.org/article/wwhyte

http://vimeo.com/channels/47118/58779529
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

cdgphdskates999

• Rep: 1
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
here's my master's thesis I did while at Columbia on Urban Planning and Skateboarding. The reference section has some good articles and books to read: https://academiccommons.columbia.edu/doi/10.7916/D880580Q

I've also included a link to a draft paper that was accepted for publication in the Journal of Sport and Social Issues. It's got some relevant content and the reference section is more up-to-date (2019).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OJb56AIWU11bkOHZy15a9WsJR4yU1DIy

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
I'm about to submit a undergrad senior thesis proposal on this topic and I can PM it to you
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5