Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43176 times)

curbslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm bashing my head against a wall learning this shit, but it's super fun.  I have a Blind Gonz reissue with 169s and 56mm and I can get up on some decent sized curbs, staying on them is the trick.
[close]

Nice

I'm still pretty picky on my curbs. No idea how dudes ride short square curbs the way they do slopers
[close]

Yeah, in Australia its nearly all tall & square.  Sucks.

ya i feel that! here in Texas they are all tall and round. they all suck for slappys. we end up just stick to parking blocks out here. its funny how perfect cali curbs are the trick actually makes sense out there.   

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm bashing my head against a wall learning this shit, but it's super fun.  I have a Blind Gonz reissue with 169s and 56mm and I can get up on some decent sized curbs, staying on them is the trick.
[close]

Nice

I'm still pretty picky on my curbs. No idea how dudes ride short square curbs the way they do slopers
[close]

Yeah, in Australia its nearly all tall & square.  Sucks.
[close]

ya i feel that! here in Texas they are all tall and round. they all suck for slappys. we end up just stick to parking blocks out here. its funny how perfect cali curbs are the trick actually makes sense out there.
I live in California and can confirm that not all curbs are not perfect..

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
Just got back from Austin Tx.  Took my 5 year old nephew to No Comply and got him his first setup and gave him his first skate lessons.

I was bumming on all the round curbs.

curbslayer

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
Just got back from Austin Tx.  Took my 5 year old nephew to No Comply and got him his first setup and gave him his first skate lessons.

I was bumming on all the round curbs.

dude i hate em!!! as a kid trying my hart out to learn to slappy on those round turds sucked so much. its funny how curb construction changes across the country. northeast has metal curbs. The middle of the country has round curbs, and in the west you have the square curbs.       

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
My friend said there were some decent curbs by the Dell buildings.

SadandLonely

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
My friend said there were some decent curbs by the Dell buildings.
To bad you can’t see them, known perverts can’t be in public...

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
Aww are you gonna nip at my heels like a puppy wherever I post?

Adorable.

Yip yip yip!

SadandLonely

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
Aww are you gonna nip at my heels like a puppy wherever I post?

Adorable.

Yip yip yip!
its actually nip nip.

curbslayer

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
so i guess this topic is over  :'(

SadandLonely

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
I like a small board with small trucks I’m gonna do slappies

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »

I could talk about curbs and curb setups forever, my dude.

Semi-interesting story: Was actually hanging in Austin with Richard Armijo last week (Name drop!  Stacey Peralta Instagram posted a well known pic of him and Lucero about how they pioneered curb skating at Whittier Skate Park ages ago) and we were both bitching about the round TX curbs but he found the good stuff over by Dell Corporate.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
I still did slappies on the round fuckers by my sisters pad in Round Rock.  Had fun but it’s just harder to lock in and travel far on them without the sharper lip.  They remind me of the double sided tootsie roll curbs in Venice.

curbslayer

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I could talk about curbs and curb setups forever, my dude.

Semi-interesting story: Was actually hanging in Austin with Richard Armijo last week (Name drop!  Stacey Peralta Instagram posted a well known pic of him and Lucero about how they pioneered curb skating at Whittier Skate Park ages ago) and we were both bitching about the round TX curbs but he found the good stuff over by Dell Corporate.

hell ya we back at it  8)

with out a good edge you are all over the place on your grind man. those venice curbs look hard for that reason.
around here we just have a normal parking block slappy we made. its 4 barking blocks mortared together its chill     

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
I’m spoiled because I have a 2 minute walk to a Circle K/business plaza from our house here in Gilbert, AZ that’s got super fun curbs.

When I visited Oceanside in Jan I got to session that yellow double sided curb that Ace Pelka posts clips on Instagram.  Holy fuck it was fun as hell.

I’m gonna have a curb session tonight at Circle K.  Talking about it in this thread got me hyped.

curbslayer

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
i can hear your grinds from here lol got me pumped i cant wait to get off now! you are right its going down bout to catch that power hour till the sun goes down once i get out of this desk. 

do you have multiple set ups or just that lable ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:23:35 PM by curbslayer »

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
I also have a 10.something 15wb Blockhead reissue with 169’s and pink 56mm 97a Slimeballs with Mob and Super Reds.  Probably gonna ride the Blockhead tonight.

I’m getting close to figuring out backside hurricanes on curbs so hopefully I make some progress tonight.

curbslayer

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
dam that is a big boy!! i need to step it up. i got a crazy Frankenstein set up that has become my go to slappy ride.
8.6 punk point transportation unit, 54 mm key frames and 180 mm paris long board trucks i got for free. i put a upside down kruks king pin in them so they dont snag, since its a reverse king pin.  with such a short wheel base, small wheels and high trucks i know it sounds crazy but that thing rides!!!   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:59:32 PM by curbslayer »

SadandLonely

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
I heard conicals are good for slappies. Opinions?

curbslayer

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »
they all slap with loose trucks. i do like that shape a lot, i got a set on my regular board i dig em. hard to say a wheel is good for slappys kinda depends on the spot you skate honestly.   

SadandLonely

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
they all slap with loose trucks. i do like that shape a lot, i got a set on my regular board i dig em. hard to say a wheel is good for slappys kinda depends on the spot you skate honestly.
thats some good shit. Did a no comply slappy tail slide.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
Check big stores, office buildings/industrial zones and storage unit places. They really are everywhere if there's buildings in your part of town
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Went out tonight and tried fs slappys for a while. Easier than I expected! Still got some work to do though. This curb is not painted and really needed wax too which I didn’t have, so I grinded all of 3 ft maybe.

I’m on a Welcome Golem shape, 159 Indy hollows, 54mm conical F4s, and Bones bushings. 🤷‍♂️ Seemed to work great! Big board is nice, feels more comfortable and surfy when you’re carving onto the curb.

Pumped to get them down good and start trying BS ones and crooks and shit.

SadandLonely

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
Went out tonight and tried fs slappys for a while. Easier than I expected! Still got some work to do though. This curb is not painted and really needed wax too which I didn’t have, so I grinded all of 3 ft maybe.

I’m on a Welcome Golem shape, 159 Indy hollows, 54mm conical F4s, and Bones bushings. 🤷‍♂️ Seemed to work great! Big board is nice, feels more comfortable and surfy when you’re carving onto the curb.

I want to skate a shaped board so badly but I’m scared to leave my 8.0

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wouldn’t look at it as a replacement for your 8. I have an 8.4 popsicle with a shorter wheelbase I use for your every day skating. I had my shaped board set up as a cruiser but I put 54 wheels on it and took the riser off and now it’s doing this curb thing for me. They each do their own thing and while I can Ollie onto ledges/boxes with the 9” shaped deck and do nollie flips and shit, it’s cumbersome for it. That’s what my popsicle is for.

If you do want to try something similar to a popsicle that is shaped, a Welcome Bunyip is probably the closest thing to a popsicle they make I think. Not much taper if any and the nose is round, just has a slightly shaped tail, but even that feels like a regular popsicle tail. There is a small bunyip then the big bunyip. The big one is 8.5 I think. So small one should be closer to 8.

Personally I say go all out and get some 159 or 169 trucks and grab an 8.75 or 9 shaped deck and go have fun on it.

SadandLonely

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I wouldn’t look at it as a replacement for your 8. I have an 8.4 popsicle with a shorter wheelbase I use for your every day skating. I had my shaped board set up as a cruiser but I put 54 wheels on it and took the riser off and now it’s doing this curb thing for me. They each do their own thing and while I can Ollie onto ledges/boxes with the 9” shaped deck and do nollie flips and shit, it’s cumbersome for it. That’s what my popsicle is for.

If you do want to try something similar to a popsicle that is shaped, a Welcome Bunyip is probably the closest thing to a popsicle they make I think. Not much taper if any and the nose is round, just has a slightly shaped tail, but even that feels like a regular popsicle tail. There is a small bunyip then the big bunyip. The big one is 8.5 I think. So small one should be closer to 8.

Personally I say go all out and get some 159 or 169 trucks and grab an 8.75 or 9 shaped deck and go have fun on it.
Ill try

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shaped boards are kinda funny... I've skated several shaped boards (not including all the "old school" boards I skated in my youth) and I find that it is very possible to not feel like you're skating a huge 80s deck if you find the right shape. Many of the shapes tend to taper down from the waist to the nose/tail so even if the deck is marked as a 9 or 8.75 it skates like a much smaller deck because the measurement is taken at the absolute widest point of the deck. Also, nose tends to be shorter and often times the tail is tapered and shorter so the deck feels smaller than you might think.

I'd say if you wanna try something shaped but want to keep the same truck wheel setup to start, it's totally possible. You just gotta shop around a bit.

If you love it you can always setup a big fat shaped deck with big trucks and wheels after.

SadandLonely

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »
I’m not really into flip tricks I’m really into late 70’s 80’s skating.

curbslayer

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »

then there is no reason for you not to have a shape in your quiver

no one should only have one set up

SadandLonely

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

then there is no reason for you not to have a shape in your quiver

no one should only have one set up
im broke.

curbslayer

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
Prioritys homie you can make it 3 weeks with no food lol i honestly have like 9 completes but dont own a cell phone and never have more than a quarter tank of gas.