Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 103679 times)

theloniousmonk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

garmstronger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #840 on: May 23, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Strong DLX TT vibe going on but the wood feels better to me (slick dull thud is gone)
[close]

No way!  I hadn't put that particular 2+2 together.  I went from a normal R7 popsicle that had an amazingly crisp and clean sounding pop to a couple of DLX TT slicks that have a much more lifeless sound.  It's been driving me mental and you may have pinpointed the issue.

Definitely going to pull the trigger on the Quasi twin but I'm still waiting patiently for an R7 or Primitive twin (DLX I know, but the few Primitives I've had before have been really crispy).
[close]

Coming off an R7 (love them) anything but a flight/VX/NHS/Dwindle board is going to feel dull and lifeless.

My last Santa Cruz slick was a tad heavier/duller than a regular board but still crispy sounding/feeling compared to the DLX slick. Just the materials I suppose.

Hoping Dwindle (my guess is under Madness) will do a twin, or enjoi with some stupid 'double dong' marketing vibe, as they do.

Maybe creature does a run or SC learns how to actually make twin kicks that match in shape.

Primitive twin would be sick, I love their shapes (you mean BBS?)

last Creature John Gardner deck i had was R7 twin and was a blast
https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/8-84in-x-31-42in-gardner-horrifico-creature-skateboard-deck?variant=42048988119197

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #841 on: May 23, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »
That Gardner wheelbase is much to small for me these days or I would have jumped.

Funny bouncing back to a regular big nose small tail board (8.3 toy machine), I didn’t like it, felt super awkward and boaty. I’ve always preferred rounded fat noses and not the long ‘habitat’ style.

I like not having to worry about board direction and I’ve gained all my nose tricks (noillie or fakie even pop bs shuvs I always did off the nose ) after a few twin boards; going to take longer than three days.

Really digging the quasi twin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:06:14 PM by Xen »

garmstronger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #842 on: May 23, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
yeah, i'm short and old, so the short wheelbase is my saving grace.  Also lets me step up in width a bit for stability, but still keep my two flip tricks on lock.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #843 on: May 24, 2022, 09:28:42 AM »
yeah, i'm short and old, so the short wheelbase is my saving grace.  Also lets me step up in width a bit for stability, but still keep my two flip tricks on lock.

Whatever keeps us flipping/rolling, man.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #844 on: June 01, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
Cross post from set up Thread

Glider IceBlink 8.5" Twin Tail
Thunder 149 Hollow Lights
Spitfire F4 Classics 53mm
Bones Big Balls
Diamond 7/8" allen hardware

Super fun first session, totally weird trying to not throw the board down the same way every trick. I may need to get some new bushings because these do lean a bit one way but I haven't found the new thunder replacement bushings anywhere.

The shape is awesome, shout out to @Paul_gliderskateboards

Fhk

« Reply #845 on: June 02, 2022, 03:23:31 AM »

I love this Quasi TT. I think it’s very steep but normally I’ve been skating flat 7.5s, so I’m probably not the best judge for that. Flips pretty effortlessly though compared to the 8.3 Ishod I’ve had.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #846 on: June 02, 2022, 06:40:10 AM »

Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls

Super fun first session, totally weird trying to not throw the board down the same way every trick. I may need to get some new bushings because these do lean a bit one way but I haven't found the new thunder replacement bushings anywhere.

[close]

What are the length/WB specs on these?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #847 on: June 02, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls

[close]
[close]

What are the length/WB specs on these?

Wheel Base   Tail            Nose     Length
8.5   14.4           6.625    6.625     31.85

Haven’t confirmed with a tape measure yet, these are pulled from their website

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #848 on: June 02, 2022, 09:31:05 AM »
Appreciate the shoutout, and happy to hear you enjoy the board!

On first order, we offer slap pals discounts since we like the community so much :) Shoot us a DM on IG if youre ever interested
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:42:22 AM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #849 on: June 03, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »

I love this Quasi TT. I think it’s very steep but normally I’ve been skating flat 7.5s, so I’m probably not the best judge for that. Flips pretty effortlessly though compared to the 8.3 Ishod I’ve had.

I've tried a ton of twins, the Quasi 8.375 is the best by far/so far for me. Not too big, not too small, just the right amount of everything. Going to suck when the fad is over and we can't get them anymore =(

Fhk

« Reply #850 on: June 04, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've tried a ton of twins, the Quasi 8.375 is the best by far/so far for me. Not too big, not too small, just the right amount of everything. Going to suck when the fad is over and we can't get them anymore =(
That’s exactly what I’m thinking man

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #851 on: June 04, 2022, 09:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That’s exactly what I’m thinking man

this is going to sound dark but - i foresee brands & board co's going away before twin tails go away entirely. idk if that's worse or better when it comes to the ability to get a beloved shape

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: June 04, 2022, 11:11:30 AM »
Both have been happening for over a decade; that was really the last twin kick fad (mystery, creature and plan b were the only options).

Now, a few reputable companies are making them and yes, there are [too] many board brands out there.

If I had to guess, dlx and maybe welcome (since it fits well with their unique shape image) will keep the twins in rotation, possibly deathwish for as long as foy is popular and they keep giving neen a board.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 05:39:51 PM by Xen »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #853 on: June 04, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »
Both have been happening for over a decade; that was really the last twin kick fad (mystery, creature and plan b were the only options).

Now, a few reputable companies are making them and yes, there are [too] many board brands out there.

If I had to guess, dlx and maybe welcome (since it fits well with they’re unique shape image) will keep the twins in rotation, possibly deathwish for as long as foy is popular and they keep giving neen a board.

tbh i dipped for that era lol, would you say the pro's associated with TT decks these days are a bigger deal than prior eras?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: June 04, 2022, 05:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote

If I had to guess, dlx and maybe welcome (since it fits well with they’re unique shape image) will keep the twins in rotation, possibly deathwish for as long as foy is popular and they keep giving neen a board.
[close]

tbh i dipped for that era lol, would you say the pro's associated with TT decks these days are a bigger deal than prior eras?

I'd say so. Not sure how many people were buying the Mystery Jimmy Carlin Symetry boards ;)

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #855 on: June 04, 2022, 06:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd say so. ishod, foy, neen, suciu, malto, and crob (nine club) hold a lot of weight.

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #856 on: June 05, 2022, 11:05:14 AM »

It’s been fun watching the scrapes develop evenly on each side, I haven’t really been worrying about which way I put the board down but if I notice I’m getting more wear on one side I’ll swap it around. The crooks marks at each corner are especially satisfying

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: June 05, 2022, 08:12:22 PM »

It’s been fun watching the scrapes develop evenly on each side, I haven’t really been worrying about which way I put the board down but if I notice I’m getting more wear on one side I’ll swap it around. The crooks marks at each corner are especially satisfying

I do the same thing, if I see I'm skating more one way (usually due to not falling off), I switch on purpose.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #858 on: July 21, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »
I just started skating an 8.5 twin tail Ishod deck. It’s been really fun so far, but I’ve not spent enough time on it to have a serious impression of it. I normally skate baker OG mellow shapes, and it feels relatively similar in terms of concave and kick steepness (minus a steeper/longer nose).
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #859 on: July 21, 2022, 10:34:35 AM »
I just started skating an 8.5 twin tail Ishod deck. It’s been really fun so far, but I’ve not spent enough time on it to have a serious impression of it. I normally skate baker OG mellow shapes, and it feels relatively similar in terms of concave and kick steepness (minus a steeper/longer nose).

I love the shape on that Ishod TT. I don't think I'll ever be a dedicated twin tail only rider, but I'm loving mine and I'll probably keep one in the quiver

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #860 on: July 21, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »
I tried a twin tail. Hated it.
I skate my back truck a little tighter than my front, which I skate very loose.
Plus my front truck got the crooks groove, so I still skated it in only one direction.
I basically just had a board with a tiny nose.
Totally pointless (for me)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #861 on: July 21, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »
Welcome has a new twin shape in 8.25, 8.5, and 8.75 "evil twin" shape.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #862 on: July 21, 2022, 11:06:29 AM »
Every brand is trying out a twin shape it seems. The Mark McKee chromeball had a picture of dimensions Rodney Mullen wrote way back in 91/92 I think and lots of the pro models had same size nose and tail length. Hopefully more brands incorporate it. Some more 8.0 twins are needed.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #863 on: July 21, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
I tried a twin tail. Hated it.
I skate my back truck a little tighter than my front, which I skate very loose.
Plus my front truck got the crooks groove, so I still skated it in only one direction.
I basically just had a board with a tiny nose.
Totally pointless (for me)

yeah, if you don't run your trucks (fairly) even, it definitely won't work. I actually bought a thunder rebuild kit when I set up mine to get them as fresh as possible.

The Glider I'm riding is really fat and round on both ends which is my ideal shape. However, I'll still keep my standard set ups. The TT is just a really fun board to pull out every couple of sessions.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #864 on: July 21, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
Seems weird welcome picked such a plain Jane shape….I think they could have at least thrown in two sets of money bumps…..

Like if && dropped a double dill…

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #865 on: July 21, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
For me and probably others a twin tail is so I could do a switch front shuv then continue and do a switch 50-50 without having to do a fakie or another switch shuv in between. I can just go and do a switch 50 off the tail it just feels weird when you are so used to popping off the nose switch. If both nose and tail are same steepness and length this issue goes away.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #866 on: July 21, 2022, 08:23:08 PM »
When I skate a twin my switch meter goes up 15%, my nollie game drops 20% and my shuvs increase by 100%. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #867 on: July 21, 2022, 10:07:56 PM »
Welcome has a new twin shape in 8.25, 8.5, and 8.75 "evil twin" shape.

Having a twin in 8.75 is a first isn't it?

Also having 6.75 kicks would definitely appeal to more people who have wanted a little more on their kicks, compared to the smaller or shorter twins with around 6.5 kicks.

Should be a shape more people would ride, so I can see why they would bring that out, as the rest of their product seems to have dated and I hardly see anyone around with a Welcome deck anymore.

Edit:

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/bird-brain-on-evil-twin-black-prism-foil-8-75

Looked it up and it says 14.75 wb which is pretty long as well.

Not sure how many people would be going for that, but for a bigger, wider and now I see longer board, I guess it all makes sense.

The others are much shorter wheelbases, from what I can see.

8.25" x 31.95"  with a 14.0" Wheelbase

8.5" x 31.95"  with a 14.25" Wheelbase

8.75" x 32.45"  with a 14.75" Wheelbase
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 10:15:16 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #868 on: July 22, 2022, 12:08:07 AM »
That 14.75” wheelbase 8.75” twin sounds very intriguing for me. Unfortunately it’s a Welcome and those aren’t sold by any shops in Finland and online they’re quite expensive in Europe for some reason.

On the site it says you should run it with 139s or 149s which is a bit weird. I’d think 159s would surely fit better. Doesn’t look like it tapers much at all. Shape looks really nice IMO.

For the graphic they could’ve done something symmetrical. I love when twin tails have a symmetrical graphic also. Makes it a bit more fun for me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #869 on: July 22, 2022, 02:10:01 AM »
That 14.75” wheelbase 8.75” twin sounds very intriguing for me. Unfortunately it’s a Welcome and those aren’t sold by any shops in Finland and online they’re quite expensive in Europe for some reason.

On the site it says you should run it with 139s or 149s which is a bit weird. I’d think 159s would surely fit better. Doesn’t look like it tapers much at all. Shape looks really nice IMO.

For the graphic they could’ve done something symmetrical. I love when twin tails have a symmetrical graphic also. Makes it a bit more fun for me.

Re truck widths, I am thinking their site page was just a template they didn't update, as it says that for all of the twins, but was correct for a few other boards of different sizes.  Definitely including 159s on 8.75 decks.

Looks like the shape does run really nicely - straight through the rail.

From what I can see of a few graphics, at least one is a "twin graphic" as per the 8.25 in the earlier pic and this link below, but I agree a twin almost seems lacking if it doesn't have some sort of symmetrical graphic on it.  I think Welcome is the only company that has kept a specific named graphic and a specific named shape throughout the company, almost like a first and last name, but always NAME on SHAPE for every board.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/products/peggy-on-evil-twin-white-8-25

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.