Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 101505 times)

ImmanuelCunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
To the guys who liked the Ishod twin tail (or any twin tail), did you end up reusing trucks/bushings or start from scratch? I'm thinking about grabbing one but worried I'll end up hating it if I'm breaking in trucks at the same time.
[close]

I swapped in new pivot cups and checked my bushings for any deformities (they were pretty fresh), put them back together and kept the nut flush with the kingpin as usual. Didn't stress too much about it.

If you are using beat up/old ass bushings I'd probably opt for fresh cups and bushings to start fresh out of the gate as you get used it. I'd imagine it's tougher for those that ride tighter and those that ride tight in the back/loose in the front to adjust; I've always made sure my trucks felt the same no matter the direction (bennies of loose trucks is you don't notice).

Short answer: At least buy new Bushings.

Long answer:
I've been skating twin tails(mostly 8.25 real) for like 2 years now exclusively with one exception. Started with a pair of fresh thunder 149 which are still perfectly symmetrical in terms of use and turn. In the beginning of this year I bought new trucks(5.25  film) for an additional 8.0 inch deck(feel of nostalgia). Then I skated a 8.0 twin tail after it, which I really did not like because of the short and small tails. Also the different turning trucks where driving me nuts. Now I am on the second 8.3 twin tail(krooked) on the same set of film trucks. I swapped in green venture bushings(94A) I had laying around with flat bottom washer and now my board is basically not turning at all anymore and it feels like shit, but at least both trucks are the same. Somehow everything works for me really well even though it feels like shit if that does make any sense. Learned a lot of new stuff even though I did not have too much time to skate lately.
Flip tricks work equally good or better for me on that shape except that my kickflips are defintely less high than with a non symmetrical shape but I can live with that trade off. It is mostly when i try to kickflip straight over or onto stuff. I guess I am just missing a little bit of space on the "nose". Would love to try a more squarish twin tail but I don't know any which are available here in Europe.
Anyways I like the freedom to not think about direction of the board and that i don't get razor tail anymore, which means I have to buy decks less frequently, because I don't break boards.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2020, 07:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To the guys who liked the Ishod twin tail (or any twin tail), did you end up reusing trucks/bushings or start from scratch? I'm thinking about grabbing one but worried I'll end up hating it if I'm breaking in trucks at the same time.
[close]

I swapped in new pivot cups and checked my bushings for any deformities (they were pretty fresh), put them back together and kept the nut flush with the kingpin as usual. Didn't stress too much about it.

If you are using beat up/old ass bushings I'd probably opt for fresh cups and bushings to start fresh out of the gate as you get used it. I'd imagine it's tougher for those that ride tighter and those that ride tight in the back/loose in the front to adjust; I've always made sure my trucks felt the same no matter the direction (bennies of loose trucks is you don't notice).
[close]

Short answer: At least buy new Bushings.

Long answer:
I've been skating twin tails(mostly 8.25 real) for like 2 years now exclusively with one exception. Started with a pair of fresh thunder 149 which are still perfectly symmetrical in terms of use and turn. In the beginning of this year I bought new trucks(5.25  film) for an additional 8.0 inch deck(feel of nostalgia). Then I skated a 8.0 twin tail after it, which I really did not like because of the short and small tails. Also the different turning trucks where driving me nuts. Now I am on the second 8.3 twin tail(krooked) on the same set of film trucks. I swapped in green venture bushings(94A) I had laying around with flat bottom washer and now my board is basically not turning at all anymore and it feels like shit, but at least both trucks are the same. Somehow everything works for me really well even though it feels like shit if that does make any sense. Learned a lot of new stuff even though I did not have too much time to skate lately.
Flip tricks work equally good or better for me on that shape except that my kickflips are defintely less high than with a non symmetrical shape but I can live with that trade off. It is mostly when i try to kickflip straight over or onto stuff. I guess I am just missing a little bit of space on the "nose". Would love to try a more squarish twin tail but I don't know any which are available here in Europe.
Anyways I like the freedom to not think about direction of the board and that i don't get razor tail anymore, which means I have to buy decks less frequently, because I don't break boards.

If you find one, I would love to know please.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the feeback guys, a somewhat pointy 6.75 nose/tail on a 8" would be ideal for me (I think). If that never comes around, it sounds like the 8.25 Ishod might be as close as I will get. The last couple days I have been getting over the mental game (mostly aesthetics) of how short the kicks are on my 8" Ishod, but it definitely still affects some aspects of my skating. And I certainly dont need my setup fighting against me..I have enough problems already  ;D

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2020, 04:20:53 AM »
Struggling out here unable to find a twin tail anywhere. Even tried contacting clutch for samples but they said minimum of 100 decks per order.

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »
@Xen good call on the pivot cup suggestion. I initially just swapped bushings but it felt super off, the fresh pivot cups made a night and day difference.

That said, I really wish the tails were bigger on the 8" Ishod. Not fretting about board direction has been so good but it's just not enough real estate. I know some people jumped up to an 8.25 to fix that problem but I'd really like to find a twin tail 8" with bigger tails.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »
@Xen good call on the pivot cup suggestion. I initially just swapped bushings but it felt super off, the fresh pivot cups made a night and day difference.

That said, I really wish the tails were bigger on the 8" Ishod. Not fretting about board direction has been so good but it's just not enough real estate. I know some people jumped up to an 8.25 to fix that problem but I'd really like to find a twin tail 8" with bigger tails.

@trash Glad it worked! Pivots get grooved/deformed/blown out just as much as bushings (I think of them as the heel in your shoes after they break in); I still feel that when switching to symmetrical kicks a full truck rebuild (bushings+pivots) is the best bet so you can adjust...I'd also throw in new wheels to you are starting off with fresh speed check side wheels ;)

This is my main issue with most/current TT or TN...it's the fact that they have to be one or the other instead of a twin kick that falls in the middle. I don't want a twin tail as I want them to be a bit longer and I don't want a twin nose...because why the fuck do you want that :P

The (8.25)" VX McCoy deck falls in the middle at 6.71" Nose and Tails and since it's tapered it looks/feels longer than it is (compared to the stubby/round feel of the DLX TT).

Good luck on finding an 8.0 tho (don't think they made the mcoy in an 8"

All that aside, once you get used it and overcome the 'need' to have your board one way, skating becomes more relaxed as you are taking the board direction setup out of the equation. But again, people who ride different tightness or bushing combos in each truck won't find this easy at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:49:11 PM by Xen »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:09 PM »
Does anyone know which twin tail/nose decks are available right now?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »

SC VX McCoy
Ishod TT
Worrest TT

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SC VX McCoy
Ishod TT
Worrest TT

Also add Deathwish Neen Twin Nose, I've seen a few floating around
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

SC VX McCoy
Ishod TT
Worrest TT
[close]

Also add Deathwish Neen Twin Nose, I've seen a few floating around

Everyone's favorite shop has it of course...(dimensions are off compared to the official DW site)

https://www.zumiez.com/deathwish-neen-extended-trip-8-12-skateboard-deck.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1073999&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP_sE4l3EPOLmbaO4J6Hu_7Ts56d2fm92nPsb4sPnRQ9vDRA3V7xEVAaAij8EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:42:24 AM by Xen »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
Anyone out there know of brands using the clutch 8.38 twin tail shape? Graphic wouldn't matter if I could find it. Honestly finding any twin tail now would be solid

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2020, 10:02:17 PM »
Anyone out there know of brands using the clutch 8.38 twin tail shape? Graphic wouldn't matter if I could find it. Honestly finding any twin tail now would be solid

I wonder if they would be able to help you find one...

https://www.clutchdistribution.com/contact.html

https://www.asfdistribution.com/contacts/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwHyMqolRKY/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »
Been on a hunt for an ishod twin tail series board that’s anywhere from 8.1-8.3 with no luck. Skating one now and really wish i copped multiple.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2021, 03:25:23 AM »

I put in a fresh set of bushings i had...i really liked the deck. For me, i dont do tricks off the nose or skate switch...so the biggest benefit was that i got a lot more durability out of it, didnt razor tail as quick as other decks, also the smaller nose meant it was a lighter pop which i liked.

The thing i didnt like and why i went to brown bomber was mainly because i couldnt get along with the narrow deck, and although there’s an 8.5 version of the Ishod, the WB and length is too long for me.

If there was an 8.5-8.75 x 32 x 14-14.4 twin tail, id be all over it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2021, 04:01:42 AM »
Been on a hunt for an ishod twin tail series board that’s anywhere from 8.1-8.3 with no luck. Skating one now and really wish i copped multiple.

Krooked is doing another one in the next drop - some shops already have it, but Krooked is yet to actually put it up, but it is the normal twin 8.3 x 31.9 with 14.4 wheelbase, slick too if I recall correctly, a grey colour with something like a fist or other weird thing on it.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

This is just the pic from last catalog (which might still be out there somewhere), and then the pic from last year of the slick version.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2021, 04:11:32 AM »

https://www.calsk8.com/shop-skateboards/p/bobby-worrest-archur-838-slick-deck-by-krooked-skateboards

Three in stock if that helps.

To clarify, these are the same boards, first done by Real for Ishod and then used by and liked by Bobby Worrest so much they did one for him too.  The slick is just a coating they put on the deck which makes it slide a bit more, so not anything to increase weight or change performance at all.

Hope that helps.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2021, 07:03:33 AM »
Been hunting for the 8.3 Archur in any german (online) shop I could find. The 8.06 non TT version is found easily, but not the 8.3. It almost seems like no shop ever got it. I have one Worrest Destroyer in reserve, but I swapped to a non TT because it felt like a waste using it during the winter/lock down situation. Seen some TTs in British shops but shipping is quite expensive and ordering like 3 or above might be a struggle with import duties.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Slicks do add a little bit of weight since it's a 7-ply board but with an added thinner layer of polymer, but nothing too noticable.

My first twin tail was a Ishod 8.5 but found it a tad too big. I now settled on either the 8.25 or 8.3 slicks (Ishod's or Worrest's) which are almost indentical in length, wheelbase and tail(s) lengths. I weighed a few just out of curiosity, the 8.25 were around 1260gr, the 8.3 slicks around 1350gr...

The 8.5 has much more round, fuller/blunter tails compared to the other sizes that have just a slight taper that I prefer personally.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2021, 08:23:30 AM »
Flip has a few twin tails in their current lineup. They all seem to be 8.25 x 31.88 or 8.25 x 32.5.

TPB3333

• Rep: -1
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2021, 04:45:41 AM »
Has anyone ever tried if it works to saw/sand a little bit off of your nose to make a normal deck more like a twin tail?
I tried it a while back with an old deck, because I couldn't find a twin tail anywhere on earth. I accidentally made the nose even smaller than the tail, so it didn't skate very well.

But has anyone ever tried this succesfully? Or will this never work due to the difference in steepness?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »

Real has a new catalog release with all the twins...

https://www.realskateboards.com/

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
its interesting how their WBs for these are always 14.3 and up

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »

yea the WB ruins it for me

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
I wonder if it’s to hit a preferred length on the nose/tail without shortening the board? I have a Clutch X11 which is an 8.75 symmetrical popsicle with 14.25 wheelbase, lengthening the kicks to 7” which might turn some people off. I feel like the symmetry means whoever is shaping the board has to really consider the relationship between length, WB, and kick length to get a board that someone can hop on and ride just like their regular popsicle.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »

Real has a new catalog release with all the twins...

https://www.realskateboards.com/

I have the 8.3 which I really like, would love the 8.5 if the wb was shorter

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, wish it was shorter for sure, I mean, I get it, they want to keep the length what it is so they have to keep the tail dimensions the same, so the only place for it to go is in the WB...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2021, 03:32:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, wish it was shorter for sure, I mean, I get it, they want to keep the length what it is so they have to keep the tail dimensions the same, so the only place for it to go is in the WB...

So how big are the kicks on the 8.3 ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Fhk

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2021, 04:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

6.6 and for anyone curious the longer wheelbase does not mess with you as much as it would on a normal popsicle IMO. Maybe that just in my head, but my skating was only affected by the lack of nose if anything.
And for any of you guys skating the 8.3 which trucks do you have on it.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2021, 05:01:38 AM »
The double tail/nose combo ain’t my cup of coffee but DLX can do a good one.

Riding a Krooked Bobby which is 8.25-8.3, can’t remember but it’s cool. I’d just rather have the option for both in the street. Riding it showed me the use of having both.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2021, 06:04:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
6.6 and for anyone curious the longer wheelbase does not mess with you as much as it would on a normal popsicle IMO. Maybe that just in my head, but my skating was only affected by the lack of nose if anything.
And for any of you guys skating the 8.3 which trucks do you have on it.

The 8.3 sits really well on 8.25 trucks, so Indy 144s for the ones I have skated - tech friend's board, but it rode well.