Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109202 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #540 on: November 13, 2021, 08:21:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

@Easy Slider

Did you happen to measure your 8.5" Neen decks? Curious if they are actually 8.5x32x14.5 seeing as the Foy posted dim are wrong around the web.

[close]

Ok I measured but with a metric measure.

Wheelbase is 36.7 cm = 14.44 inch so 14.5 seems correct
Width 21.5 cm = 8.46 inch so 8.5 seems correct
Length 83 cm = 32.67 so it‘s a bit longer than 32
[close]

Was the length measured with the concave (usually longer) or straight across (usually shorter)?

I recall for boards of about 32 measured straight across, they come up about 32.5 measured with the concave.

Not doubting you either, just checking / wanting to clarify.

Thanks.
[close]

Measured straight across. And no problem, I am a measuring novice so it‘s ok to double check  ;D
[close]

Easy!

So it really is a LLLOOONNNGGG board.

Twin nose would definitely make it longer than twin tail, but I wasn't sure quite how much.

So was it pretty much right on 7" each kick?

You probably already mentioned earlier, but I had already started typing the message.

I won‘t tolerate any slandering my board as a longboard  >:(

Jk, yes the kicks are pretty much right on 7‘ each.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Never understood why skateboards were designed with a nose and tail tbh. Whoever came up with that stupid idea anyway? Once you get used to skating a symmetrical deck it feels so shit going back to a regular deck with nose & tail.

Symmetrical is life…
[close]

Paul Schmitt has said in multiple interviews that having different noses and tails allow you to have the equivalent of two blades in your pocketknife.  Sometimes a trick may be easier off one end of the board vs the other.   I have notice that I can land a few certain tricks more regularly skating my directional board backwards.

That said, I still dig twin tails - especially on mini ramps. I hate skating a mini with my board backwards and on a regular board will always try to do two shove tricks in a row to get it back as quick as possible.
[close]

Nothing against you and Schmitt personally but I hate that viewpoint. If people started with twin tails I doubt that would be an arguement. There's differences yes but people just skate their board backwards when going switch anyway which doesn't seem logical. If the nose and tail were that important you wouldn't skate the board backwards going switch.

I get that there's differences. (I used to do hardflips off the nose when I ride normal boards) But it feels almost wasteful not having a twin tail because they last so much longer unless you skate tons of switch.
I think the general reasoning is that the nose being longer makes it easier to pop, ie hits the ground faster, so it helps with your weaker foot (nollies and switch). But due to this you also get a lesser angle, so you can still pop higher from the tail.

If your switch and nollie tricks are just fine on a twin tail this is probably a non-issue for you then.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #542 on: November 13, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Never understood why skateboards were designed with a nose and tail tbh. Whoever came up with that stupid idea anyway? Once you get used to skating a symmetrical deck it feels so shit going back to a regular deck with nose & tail.

Symmetrical is life…
[close]

Paul Schmitt has said in multiple interviews that having different noses and tails allow you to have the equivalent of two blades in your pocketknife.  Sometimes a trick may be easier off one end of the board vs the other.   I have notice that I can land a few certain tricks more regularly skating my directional board backwards.

That said, I still dig twin tails - especially on mini ramps. I hate skating a mini with my board backwards and on a regular board will always try to do two shove tricks in a row to get it back as quick as possible.
[close]

Nothing against you and Schmitt personally but I hate that viewpoint. If people started with twin tails I doubt that would be an arguement. There's differences yes but people just skate their board backwards when going switch anyway which doesn't seem logical. If the nose and tail were that important you wouldn't skate the board backwards going switch.

I get that there's differences. (I used to do hardflips off the nose when I ride normal boards) But it feels almost wasteful not having a twin tail because they last so much longer unless you skate tons of switch.
[close]
I think the general reasoning is that the nose being longer makes it easier to pop, ie hits the ground faster, so it helps with your weaker foot (nollies and switch). But due to this you also get a lesser angle, so you can still pop higher from the tail.

If your switch and nollie tricks are just fine on a twin tail this is probably a non-issue for you then.
Boards started with smaller/nonexistent noses after all, then evolved past the point of symmentry into the elongated noses, it’s not like they ”started off” with longer noses and just never thought to make them symmetrical.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: November 13, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
Recently standing on one of those BPSW era at its prime was pretty weird.

A 7+ nose and a less than 5 tiny tail was the total opposite of the 80s fish boards but they still had a purpose.

At least now we have so many options including regular, twin nose, twin tail, etc so everyone can have a happy place.

So glad board shapes have evolved to this point, but I think it would be nice to have more options in the exact twins.

GT

• Rep: -14
« Reply #544 on: November 13, 2021, 04:40:20 PM »
I think I finally came to the realization that I skate better off the nose of most boards I ride after being in denial about it for pretty much ever, what’s a good symmetrical shape that would be closer to that? Are most “twin tails” more of a middle ground than actually two tails? I skate 8” boards so maybe not a lot of options anyway.

It might be because I grew up skating my board the wrong direction because I didn’t know any better, but I’d rather find a symmetrical board than do that on purpose…

G027 details are like switching the board around kinnda. Long tails with lots of fingers of flat makes the tail feel like other boards nose. Crob twin is same ish just twin.
Also g027 taper from 8. To 8.25 tail to nose.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #545 on: November 13, 2021, 11:45:52 PM »

A 7+ nose and a less than 5 tiny tail was the total opposite of the 80s fish boards but they still had a purpose.

At least now we have so many options including regular, twin nose, twin tail, etc so everyone can have a happy place.

So glad board shapes have evolved to this point, but I think it would be nice to have more options in the exact twins.

I vaguely seem to remember that there existed a few twin tails even back in the 90s but I can‘t remember. This would still be on topic tho so who knows when the first twin tail came out?
why come?

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #546 on: November 14, 2021, 12:54:09 AM »
The Foy twin was my first twin tail. I love the regular Foy85, thought I would be way into this since I suck at all things switch, but I don’t like skating a twin tail. Maybe it was all in my head, but I felt like my flick suffered a ton without a real nose. I still skate mellow boards, but I need a real nose. Oh well, now I know.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #547 on: November 14, 2021, 01:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I vaguely seem to remember that there existed a few twin tails even back in the 90s but I can‘t remember. This would still be on topic tho so who knows when the first twin tail came out?

I am guessing there were more rounded twins out in the early to mid 90s, but as to the first twin tail, anyone remember this?

1990 it was.

Powell Hawk twin tail.

This thing was a scary beast, but it still qualifies for a twin.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #548 on: November 14, 2021, 05:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I am guessing there were more rounded twins out in the early to mid 90s, but as to the first twin tail, anyone remember this?

1990 it was.

Powell Hawk twin tail.

This thing was a scary beast, but it still qualifies for a twin.

yup i clearly remember this board..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #549 on: November 14, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
The OG (and pre-Mike V Barnyard)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:06:56 PM by Xen »

Fhk

« Reply #550 on: November 14, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »
I remember both those boards..Holyfuck I'm getting old

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: November 14, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
Those are sick   8) I remember the Hawk now.
why come?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: November 14, 2021, 02:13:49 PM »

Wow 1989 - from your link and looking at Sk8cheddar's page.

https://sk8cheddar.com/post/130851956000/vision-double-vision-1989-art-sold-9102015

That is a good one, which I may not have ever seen before - don't know why but Vision didn't really have a big presence where I was growing up.

The brown one is a reissue too, so it has come out again?

That is rad any which way I look at it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: November 14, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow 1989 - from your link and looking at Sk8cheddar's page.

https://sk8cheddar.com/post/130851956000/vision-double-vision-1989-art-sold-9102015

That is a good one, which I may not have ever seen before - don't know why but Vision didn't really have a big presence where I was growing up.

The brown one is a reissue too, so it has come out again?

That is rad any which way I look at it.

Yup, re-issues are out there, they sell out fast tho!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: November 14, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
Foy

Deck feels thick (compared to the neen), shape is very similar to the 8.25 Neen Twin (bigger, duh) more hybrid than twin tail, but closer to a nose.

W: 8.5"
L: 31.9"
WB: 14.33ish
Kicks: 6.75 (6.5 usable from plates)

Was really hoping it was shorter than it is, but it's a nice shape and the kicks are full, like the DLX twin; it doesn't feel long tho, probably due to the width and fullness of the kicks. Coming off a 32" UMA (essentially a b16, regretfully I didn't care for it) it feels stubby.

Edit: it feels like the ishod but I like these kicks/kick shapes better; feels like the 8.3 dlx tt. Didn't skate it too long, as I am pretty sure I have food poisoning :P

Feels good being back on a twin and not caring which way the board is.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:32:44 PM by Xen »

Dan Gerous

« Reply #555 on: November 14, 2021, 06:05:26 PM »
Foy

Deck feels thick (compared to the neen), shape is very similar to the 8.25 Neen Twin (bigger, duh) more hybrid than twin tail, but closer to a nose.

Was really hoping it was shorter than it is, but it's a nice shape and the kicks are full, like the DLX twin; it doesn't feel long tho, probably due to the width and fullness of the kicks. Coming off a 32" UMA (essentially a b16, regretfully I didn't care for it) it feels stubby.

Edit: it feels like the ishod but I like these kicks/kick shapes better; feels like the 8.3 dlx tt. Didn't skate it too long, as I am pretty sure I have food poisoning :P

I like what I'm reading... What trucks and wheel size have you tried it with if I may ask?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: November 14, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Foy

[close]
I like what I'm reading... What trucks and wheel size have you tried it with if I may ask?

149 Royals (new ones w/IKP), 52mm bones STF V5s

Dan Gerous

« Reply #557 on: November 14, 2021, 06:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Foy

[close]
[close]

149 Royals (new ones w/IKP), 52mm bones STF V5s
Thanks, I think I'm going to like that one...

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #558 on: November 14, 2021, 07:22:33 PM »

My brother had that one, built up with G&S trucks and Schmitt SS radials - the wheels with the aluminum core.  He had ordered the 63mm wheels (which were already big for the time) but they sent 68s.   That thing SUCKED at doing anything but going straight.  I don't think he ever learned to kickflip and ended up quitting skating for a decade or so. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »
Having put in some more time with the Foy Twin, it's easily my favorite of what's out there. For an 8.5 if doesn't feel like one at all (coming off an 8.375)...

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: November 18, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
This popped up in my ad feed :  https://gliderskateboards.com/collections/frontpage/products/deck-02-twin-tail-iceblink

8 and 8.25" twin tails with 14.3 wheelbase.  Two graphics.  No idea on woodshop.

Width   Wheel Base   Nose   Tail
8.0       14.3''     6.55''   6.55''
8.25      14.3''     6.625''   6.625''

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: November 18, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »
Who sent who a board?

I kid.

Stacked, the Glider seem much thicker than the DLX.

Can't say the name resonates, but hey, more twin option the better.

Second vid on their page, dude puts it through it's paces. Mentions it being thicker.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:20 PM »
They have a normal board listed too, which they have info on (below) too, so I wonder if the twin boards are something else.

Were other Chapman boards a bit thicker?

https://gliderskateboards.com/products/deck-03-standard-avalyn

Traditional popsicle shape designed with Chapman Skateboards (Zoo York, Supreme, etc.). Pro quality construction that's made with Canadian 7-ply maple wood.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #563 on: November 19, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »
Thanks to this thread and to Xen in particular to have more reliable measures than board companies themselves, I just picked up the Foy Twin but would not have if I trusted the sticker on it that says 14.5 WB.

The graphics is not my cup of tea and I don't like that the bottom ply is not colored, but that's all not very important, what matters to me is that the shape is magnifico and I love that blue top ply!

Xen's measures match mine (8.5, a hair under 32, a hair under 14.33 wb, 6.75 kicks), Deathwish says the concave is mellow but it's my first board from the Baker boys, I wouldn't say it's that mellow but mellower than the DLX twins. If the I is steepest at DLX and IV mellowest, I'd say this is VII or something!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #564 on: November 19, 2021, 08:33:22 AM »
They have a normal board listed too, which they have info on (below) too, so I wonder if the twin boards are something else.

Were other Chapman boards a bit thicker?

https://gliderskateboards.com/products/deck-03-standard-avalyn

Traditional popsicle shape designed with Chapman Skateboards (Zoo York, Supreme, etc.). Pro quality construction that's made with Canadian 7-ply maple wood.

According to the Woodshop thread, Chapman is using Clutch wood.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: November 19, 2021, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks to this thread and to Xen in particular to have more reliable measures than board companies themselves, I just picked up the Foy Twin but would not have if I trusted the sticker on it that says 14.5 WB.

The graphics is not my cup of tea and I don't like that the bottom ply is not colored, but that's all not very important, what matters to me is that the shape is magnifico and I love that blue top ply!

Xen's measures match mine (8.5, a hair under 32, a hair under 14.33 wb, 6.75 kicks), Deathwish says the concave is mellow but it's my first board from the Baker boys, I wouldn't say it's that mellow but mellower than the DLX twins. If the I is steepest at DLX and IV mellowest, I'd say this is VII or something!

It's a great shape (same as the 8.25" neen but bigger, seems to differ from the 8.5" neen dimension-wise); it's not baker mellow either, but you are right it is mellower than the DLX I-II range, mine is def not a VII tho by that scale.

The graphics are meh, the babypoop/mustard yellow is meh (I got a green top ply) but it's trashed already and I never really cared....but still...DW graphics have never been at the forefront of the brand.

Waiting for some BF sales to pick up a spare or two.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #566 on: November 19, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a great shape (same as the 8.25" neen but bigger, seems to differ from the 8.5" neen dimension-wise); it's not baker mellow either, but you are right it is mellower than the DLX I-II range, mine is def not a VII tho by that scale.

The graphics are meh, the babypoop/mustard yellow is meh (I got a green top ply) but it's trashed already and I never really cared....but still...DW graphics have never been at the forefront of the brand.

Yeah maybe it's closer to DLX's mold IV, I only had Ishods I and I have a Worrest II right now.

But isn't the Neen definitely a twin nose with kicks like 7" long? At 6.75, this is more a hybrid to me, it sits between the Ishod which has 6.55-6.72 tails depending on sizes and the Crob marked at 6.84.

I might pick another too if I see one on sale on BF, it's like the 8.5 Ishod I would have wanted, nicer looking shape that ressembles the smaller Ishod shapes and shorter wheelbase.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yeah maybe it's closer to DLX's mold IV, I only had Ishods I and I have a Worrest II right now.

But isn't the Neen definitely a twin nose with kicks like 7" long? At 6.75, this is more a hybrid to me, it sits between the Ishod which has 6.55-6.72 tails depending on sizes and the Crob marked at 6.84.

I might pick another too if I see one on sale on BF, it's like the 8.5 Ishod I would have wanted, nicer looking shape that ressembles the smaller Ishod shapes and shorter wheelbase.

Aye.
why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2021, 01:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The 8.25" Neen (what I referenced) does not have 7" kicks (they're 6.65"ish it's a 31.5" board with a 14.25" WB) maybe the 8.5"vdoes?

Deathwish is killing it with the twins, the 8.25" Neen and the this 8.5" Foy have great dimensions; the 8.5 Neen is too beastly for me (like the 8.5" DLX).

GliderSkateboards

• Rep: 35
« Reply #569 on: November 23, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »
Hi guys! my name is Paul and i'm the owner of Glider Skateboards. Thanks for posting our content.We're just a small brand (husband and wife + some friends who help out on the side), so we seriously appreciate it

Reach out to us on IG or email if you guys ever have any questions about our boards. We've reached out to the YT skateboard community for some reviews to get a feel for the boards too. Plus, feel free to DM us via IG and we'll send over a discount code as a small token of gratitude