Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109277 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #690 on: February 27, 2022, 04:33:52 PM »
Twin is the truth. I hope those shapes stick around because I can‘t imagine going back. Well for the time being I still have 3 Neen twin noses in my stash.

I think the increased popularity in twin shapes means they are definitely here to stay.

Can't see them taking over from traditional shapes, but I think twin concave would be something that might be more worthwhile, given some molds have a definite nose and tail angle, all for relevant reasons, but having identical concave would mean that boards can be cut as twin or traditional shapes and still perform the same from either end.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #691 on: February 28, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Twin is the truth. I hope those shapes stick around because I can‘t imagine going back. Well for the time being I still have 3 Neen twin noses in my stash.
[close]

I think the increased popularity in twin shapes means they are definitely here to stay.

Can't see them taking over from traditional shapes, but I think twin concave would be something that might be more worthwhile, given some molds have a definite nose and tail angle, all for relevant reasons, but having identical concave would mean that boards can be cut as twin or traditional shapes and still perform the same from either end.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Agree with that too. There is absolutely a demand, but cant see it taking over the mainstream.

Thank you guys for the kind words, honest feedback, and being open to our promotion. If anyone is interested in testing out our boards for 50% off of in exchange for a review here, DM us on IG.

We're working on our art direction in the meantime and will be doing our due diligence to work with more skaters too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:51:15 AM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #692 on: February 28, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just my thoughts anyway.
[close]

Agree with that too. There is absolutely a demand, but cant see it taking over the mainstream.

Thank you guys for the kind words, honest feedback, and being open to our promotion. If anyone is interested in testing out our boards for 50% off of in exchange for a review here, DM us on IG.

We're working on our art direction in the meantime and will be doing our due diligence to work with more skaters too.
Curious to see the state of the market in 5 to 10 years.

Anyway.

G069 incoming tomorrow, and 10 years (10 f*%#@Łg years...sh!t) since my last griptape job. Will be an intersting moment for sure. :D

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just my thoughts anyway.
[close]

[close]
Curious to see the state of the market in 5 to 10 years.

Anyway.

G069 incoming tomorrow, and 10 years (10 f*%#@Łg years...sh!t) since my last griptape job. Will be an intersting moment for sure. :D

I think what will dictate the shapes will be what the pros ride and end up doing. Ishod, arguably the best skater right now riding a twin tail was a big step
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:05:01 PM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Solex

« Reply #694 on: March 01, 2022, 01:49:07 PM »
I think what will dictate the shapes will be what the pros ride and end up doing. Ishod, arguably the best skater right now (fight me!) riding a twin tail was big for this movement
For sure, and that's why I think the twin shapes will become the new standard soon. Ishod, Neen, Foy, Crob, Malto it seems, (and more?) have there symmetrical promodels, and as I understood Suciu now rides the Owlien shape exclusively. It seems pretty contagious in all pro's generations. To me the different nose and tail thing that remains nowadays is more an old heritage from the primitive eras than a real technical feature. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE the skateboard as it was and as it is. I just think it's the time for a new evolution. Nothing more.

Anyway...other than that, I don't really like Ishod's skateboarding...should I be banned for that? Well, I will see. :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:40:44 PM by Solex »

Solex

« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2022, 09:05:41 AM »
Finally tried out the 8.25 Crob this morning. To be honest, I barely skated the last few years, it was my only session in a while, and my long thin legs were incredibly lazy, so this is probably not the most reliable opinion.

On a side note, coming from the 7.5"/7.75" boards era, it's the first time I have an 8.25". I would say that the extra width is finally not too much for my 12/12.5 shoes and was quite enjoyable.

Anyway. About the twin shape, I never really had the feeling that I kicked a nose in normal stance. It's more like a long tail, maybe...it didn't feels strange at all, and I just had more room for my back foot positioning. In fact, I always felt my tails a bit too short with standard shaped boards, so I really appreciated it. Can't wait to try out some tailslides! As a front tip it just feels like a classic nose without any weirdness, nothing more, nothing less. Flip tricks and noseslides just felt good.
I thought the steepness was really on point, not too steep, not too flat, just the right amount to match a nose and a tail...

Honestly the weirdest thing about that board is that you don't have to bother the way you ride it.

At this point I can't say that I'll never go back to a standard nose/tail shape, but I have a really good overall impression so far.

EDIT : a (almost) new twin in the wild - AWS Frankie Spears, based on the original Owlien Twin it seems, 8.375" and 8.5".
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-revelation-8-375-8-5?_pos=1&_sid=595b573e4&_ss=r
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:40:18 AM by Solex »

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #696 on: March 09, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »
Has anyone tried an 8.3 ishod twin tail w/ venture 5.2 hi or 5.2 lo?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #697 on: March 10, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »
Posted in the woodshop thread but Habitat's latest Mark Suciu in 8.38 is supposed to be a TT (8.375 X 32.25 WB 14.375 - Proprietary symmetrical shape)

https://habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/suciu-soty-8-25-8-375
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #698 on: March 11, 2022, 02:48:32 AM »
Posted in the woodshop thread but Habitat's latest Mark Suciu in 8.38 is supposed to be a TT (8.375 X 32.25 WB 14.375 - Proprietary symmetrical shape)

Interesting they first had the Owlien twin, now they have specific boards for team riders in the same twin shape, this one and as Solex said earlier for the AWS brand, there is the Spears board.

Guessing it was popular, but I wonder do those guys ride that board, or is it just put out with their name on it?

Solex

« Reply #699 on: March 11, 2022, 02:59:37 AM »

The machine is in motion. :D

A slightly more compact version of this shape (width/lenght/wb) would be very interesting though.

EDIT : Suciu's model is also avaliable in 8.25" width, so with the Spears's model we now have 8.25"/8.375"/8.5" width. /!\ Only 8.375" models are symmetrical! /!\

EDIT 2 : Habitat Apex Bold Twin 8.375", same symmetrical shape. (Already spotted?)
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-8-25?_pos=1&_sid=32616cead&_ss=r

Guessing it was popular, but I wonder do those guys ride that board, or is it just put out with their name on it?
I read around here that it became the Suciu's 'go to' shape. No clue about Spears though...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 02:16:37 PM by Solex »

Dan Gerous

« Reply #700 on: March 11, 2022, 06:28:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A slightly more compact version of this shape (width/lenght/wb) would be very interesting though.

EDIT : Suciu's model is also avaliable in 8.25" width, so with the Spears's model we now have 8.25"/8.375"/8.5" width.

EDIT 2 : Habitat Apex Bold Twin 8.375", same symmetrical shape. (Already spotted?)
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-8-25?_pos=1&_sid=32616cead&_ss=r

Expand Quote

[close]
I read around here that it became the Suciu's 'go to' shape. No clue about Spears though...

I think the story is that Spears was riding that twin shape already, Suciu tried his board around a year or so ago and started riding it since.

Solex

« Reply #701 on: March 11, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »
I think the story is that Spears was riding that twin shape already, Suciu tried his board around a year or so ago and started riding it since.
Oh okay!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #702 on: March 11, 2022, 04:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

EDIT : Suciu's model is also avaliable in 8.25" width, so with the Spears's model we now have 8.25"/8.375"/8.5" width.

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks.

Seems like a familiar story with Bobby Worrest riding an Ishod board and then saying "I'll have one of those too" or something similar.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #703 on: March 11, 2022, 04:43:36 PM »
Every now and again I will email SS asking for the aws square 8.25 as a twin, they never respond ;)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #704 on: March 11, 2022, 05:07:41 PM »

Cross post from the Egg thread, but could also be in the twin thread with this series.

Not sure if any people who frequent this thread / regular twin riders would go this big, but it is interesting to see them coming out more frequently in these shapes and sizes too.

Fos always lists the width over the trucks in the catalog and the Curb Killer is 9.5:
https://heroin.myshopify.com/pages/summer-2022-catalog

It definitely makes it easier with those extra details.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: March 11, 2022, 05:41:42 PM »
^^ I still have my symmetrical egg =D

8.75" trucks for that 9.25" BTW.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #706 on: March 11, 2022, 10:23:36 PM »

Cross post from the Egg thread, but could also be in the twin thread with this series.

Not sure if any people who frequent this thread / regular twin riders would go this big, but it is interesting to see them coming out more frequently in these shapes and sizes too.

Expand Quote

Fos always lists the width over the trucks in the catalog and the Curb Killer is 9.5:
[close]

I have been eyeballing those. Would it be too much of a magic carpet riding the smaller one with 149s?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: March 11, 2022, 10:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have been eyeballing those. Would it be too much of a magic carpet riding the smaller one with 149s?

For some, it might be a bit too much under, but it also depends on what width wheels and putting all washers on the inside too.

They have another one (not a twin) I posted a pic of from the catalog in the egg thread that is 8.9 wide and 8.5 over the truck area, just in case that would be more suitable.  Link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.msg3756254#msg3756254

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #708 on: March 11, 2022, 10:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

For some, it might be a bit too much under, but it also depends on what width wheels and putting all washers on the inside too.

They have another one (not a twin) I posted a pic of from the catalog in the egg thread that is 8.9 wide and 8.5 over the truck area, just in case that would be more suitable.  Link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.msg3756254#msg3756254

Cheers bro.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #709 on: March 28, 2022, 03:22:13 AM »

As per post from @Mcidraque in other threads:

never had a twin tip before but these new girl shapes seem tempting (8,25 and 8,5) both in 14" wb

https://crailstore.ca/collections/girl-skateboards-decks/products/girl-skateboards-sean-malto-double-og-twin-tip-deck-8-5

https://crailstore.ca/collections/girl-skateboards-decks/products/girl-skateboarding-sean-malto-double-og-twin-tip-deck-8-25

Interesting they call them "twin tips" too, like they are longer than twin tails but not quite twin noses, so twin tips seems to work well.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: March 28, 2022, 03:23:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Don't know if you guys have peeped any of these new "twin tips", but as a fan of the G052 shape the 8.25" seems to be pretty much the same (dimensions wise). Would love to hear opinions in case any of you have skated one. Cheers!

https://crailstore.ca/collections/girl-skateboards-decks/products/girl-skateboarding-sean-malto-double-og-twin-tip-deck-8-25

(link to the g052 shape for reference)
https://crailtap.com/shapes/#g052
[close]

I’m also curious. Is this the same shape as the chocolate Chris roberts twin shape?

I am guessing it would be going by those dimensions and being an existing shape / size, but don't know for sure.

Yes - same shape number too, so that would be a YES.

A new twin-tip deck from your friends at Girl.
G069
8.25" x 31.875"
Wheelbase: 14"
Nose: 6.84"
Tail: 6.84"

Roberts Twin Chunk Black Deck
$65.00
G069:
8.25" x 31.875"

G096:
8.5" x 31.875"

https://crailstore.com/search?q=twin+deck

https://crailstore.ca/search?q=twin

Solex

« Reply #711 on: March 28, 2022, 04:06:47 AM »
I shared this video on the thread a month ago, but it wasn't on the crailstore at this time.

G069 and G096 not yet referenced in the shape guide though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:38:52 AM by Solex »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #712 on: April 03, 2022, 12:29:16 PM »
Picked up the 8.375" Suciu twin.

Kicks are long and squared (but not crazy) + the 32.25" just makes it feel like a long narrow plank.

It's not what I'm after. But it works for Mark and might work for you!

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #713 on: April 03, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »

Kicks are long and squared (but not crazy) + the 32.25" just makes it feel like a long narrow plank.

Ive always wanted to skate a twin tail with bigger "Tails" like not quite a twin nose but just more space to flick off of, i didn't even know mark had a twin tail. Does the suciu twin tail have larger "Tails" than the Ishod/crob decks? if they are i might have to try it out

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #714 on: April 03, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ive always wanted to skate a twin tail with bigger "Tails" like not quite a twin nose but just more space to flick off of, i didn't even know mark had a twin tail. Does the suciu twin tail have larger "Tails" than the Ishod/crob decks? if they are i might have to try it out

The AWS Owlien Twin and the Habita Apex/Suciu SOTY (8.375 size only) are all twins. Definitely twin noses and not tails like the Ishod (or the even the Foy which feels more like a hybrid and still my favorite twin so far. Would like it even more at 8.3); if you threw on a kick from an Ishod and one from the Hab/AWS you'd have a regular directional nose/tail board.

I'd probably be able to hang with the shape if it were shorter (shrinking the kicks a bit).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:50:25 PM by Xen »

Solex

« Reply #715 on: April 03, 2022, 02:38:09 PM »
I can't really say about the AWS/Habitat shape (Suciu/Spears), but the Crob/Malto twin I ride currently is a pretty perfect nose/tail hybrid in my opinion.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2022, 11:03:31 AM »
quasi twin tails in the new drop, bbs pressed
31.8/14.0wb
31.75/14.25wb

8.125 pictured
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #717 on: April 07, 2022, 11:43:48 AM »
31.8/14.0wb
31.75/14.25wb

8.125 pictured

Goddamn

Dan Gerous

« Reply #718 on: April 07, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
31.8/14.0wb
31.75/14.25wb

Nice. I'd be curious to see real world measures though, seems odd that the wider 8.375 has a 1/4" longer wheelbase than the 8.125 yet is listed as 0.05 shorter overall... That would mean it has shorter tails or that, like what seems like 90% of board companies, the listed numbers are wrong.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: April 07, 2022, 12:56:50 PM »
Man, a quasi 8.25 twin proto would have been killer.