Author Topic: Skateboarder shot and killed at Parisite Skatepark in New Orleans  (Read 8245 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
https://wwl.radio.com/articles/man-shot-dead-new-orleans-skatepark

God damn, this is so fucking sad. Hope we will see an end to this type of senseless violence one day. Not much information has been released on this yet. Wanted to post and see if anyone down there knows more about what happened. Rest In Peace.

redcurb12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Skateboarder shot and killed at Parisite Skatepark in New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
I don't see any explicit mention that the victim was a skateboarder. park looks like it's under a viaduct.. so I'm sure there are some shady non-skateboarders that hangout down there. either way.. it's always sad to see a life taken like this.

anyways cue the firearm debate
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:17:58 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
I don't see any explicit mention that the victim was a skateboarder. either way.. it's always sad to see a life taken like this.

It's not even a debate. It's two opposing sides yelling at each other and getting nothing accomplished. We're fucked.

Burnt_Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »
Guns dont kill people...
I kill people.

redcurb12

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't see any explicit mention that the victim was a skateboarder. either way.. it's always sad to see a life taken like this.

[close]
It's not even a debate. It's two opposing sides yelling at each other and getting nothing accomplished. We're fucked.

unfortunately that's often what debate style argument often comes down to. defending your own position against criticism instead of engaging opposing views to develop a more.. complex position
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

redcurb12

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »
looks like the victim was a skater named David Magee:

RIP david.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:32:59 PM by redcurb12 »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Really wasn’t trying to spark a gun debate with this thread, just wanted to see if anyone had more details on what happened and for us to show some love for the deceased. RIP David. Condolences to anyone who knew him and may his killer be brought to justice.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
RIP & condolences to fam and friends

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
this sucks. RIP

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »
I don't see any explicit mention that the victim was a skateboarder. park looks like it's under a viaduct.. so I'm sure there are some shady non-skateboarders that hangout down there. either way.. it's always sad to see a life taken like this.

he was at the skatepark every day and was well known and loved by everyone there
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »
Really wasn’t trying to spark a gun debate with this thread, just wanted to see if anyone had more details on what happened and for us to show some love for the deceased. RIP David. Condolences to anyone who knew him and may his killer be brought to justice.

people need to understand that the details are irrelevant.  a young man's life was senselessly taken.  no details will ever change that fact.  the details are only for you to form an opinion about a situation or someone you don't even know.  just be sad that a life was taken. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
People reading this may not know how devastating this is to the New Orleans skateboarding community. Hundreds of people are feeling the pain and confusion felt when someone dies so senselessly to gun violence. I didn't know David Magee personally but an overwhelming amount of people cited him as being a super positive and welcoming guy. The man was a skateboarder and Parisite was home. RIP.

Parasite has it's problems like any park or spot that isn't some sterile sanctioned joint but the endless cycle of gun violence in the city of New Orleans takes young lives weekly and at times, daily. It's an inescapable reality that at any time and almost anywhere, things can go tragic. No matter how much you watch your back and your friends, it gets dangerous at night. The climate is so insufferable you almost have to skate at night and run the risk of peril.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
New Orleans violence is out of fucking control

RIP, David was a great dude. Awful blow to the community.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
RIP 😢
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 04:15:23 PM »
Major bummer. Too many lives are taken by others, R.I.P. David

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »
It's really heartbreaking to hear about unnecessary violence taking away good people at the places they would probably be feeling the most joy at. RIP David

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

people need to understand that the details are irrelevant.  a young man's life was senselessly taken.  no details will ever change that fact.  the details are only for you to form an opinion about a situation or someone you don't even know.  just be sad that a life was taken.

Strong disagree. Details are relevant to understanding something, which is important. Wondering more specifically how someone died is also totally natural even for strangers.

Much love to the Parisite skate scene.

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:24 PM »
Guns dont kill people...
I kill people.
I want that red shirt with that statement
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
I have been skating and fucked with definitely in Nola. This sucks when people are just trying live their life and some dipshit takes someone’s life away.

I’d like to paraphrase a quote by Richard Adams from Watership Down
My heart cries for the few, for my friend won’t wake up today....

RIP to those we’ve lost recently
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:46:00 PM by SpankerChief »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 05:30:18 AM »

David was one of the most hesh and kindest dude I’ve had met when I lived in NoLa. R.I.P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:34:02 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 05:35:13 AM »
People reading this may not know how devastating this is to the New Orleans skateboarding community. Hundreds of people are feeling the pain and confusion felt when someone dies so senselessly to gun violence. I didn't know David Magee personally but an overwhelming amount of people cited him as being a super positive and welcoming guy. The man was a skateboarder and Parisite was home. RIP.

Parasite has it's problems like any park or spot that isn't some sterile sanctioned joint but the endless cycle of gun violence in the city of New Orleans takes young lives weekly and at times, daily. It's an inescapable reality that at any time and almost anywhere, things can go tragic. No matter how much you watch your back and your friends, it gets dangerous at night. The climate is so insufferable you almost have to skate at night and run the risk of peril.
All I can imagine is that were living like it's the wild west where everyone has a strap and and shoot at any time. Any moment you can be called out to duel or be in the wrong place at the wrong g time. Say some wrong the someone who's not in their right mind, anything....this is just crazy time to be where I guess. Damn.
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 05:49:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you talking about?  The details are most certainly relevant.  You don't just bury your head in the sand when a tragedy like this happens, you find out why and who perpetrated this heinous act so you can prevent it from happening again.  My best to his friends and family. 
"Give it a name."

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

out in the 8th and 9th ward shit gets sketchy especially away from Rampart or out near the Naval base. I have gotten robbed for weed at one point after buying what I think was bunk shit.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »
R.I.P., caught a brief taste of the local scene in Raul Buitrago's skate doc 'Gnarleans' not too long ago, place sounds hectic, mad respect and best thoughts.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »
Brutal. RIP and sorry to those in the NOLA community that lost an important figure and friend.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
RIP
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
RIP. Such a shock.

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
I met this dude in 2014 when I was there visiting a friend. Filmed him skate Parasite on GoSkateDay. Super super nice dude. Sad shit right here.