Author Topic: When will Thrasher's reign of copyright free soul/motown music ever end?  (Read 5845 times)

Ocelot

Just like the music in this part:

Litterally every Thrasher part uses the same vanilla soul/motown song over and over again. Obviously, it's for monetization purposes but c'mon...

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
What are you talking about

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

DemonCarcass

• Rep: 1
Hopefully soon. Rarely does this kind of music make me want to watch something when I hear it start in a video.

Ocelot

What are you talking about

Embrace the truth

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
  • Did someone say sassy?
Soul has no place in skateboarding.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
   Soul music belongs everywhere.  Ethan Fowler had a good soul song part.  Maybe Trepasso too.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
There was like 3 years in the mid-2000’s where it seemed like every part had some Motown doo wap song, e.g.:

Edit: cigs and I seem to be on the same wavelength.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Not quite the same, but still, this song from the sour solution II video is fucking sick.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362

Cool Ceith listens to M83, confirmed

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:13:44 PM by Jeff Groucho »

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Did someone say sassy?
Expand Quote
[close]

Cool Ceith listens to M83, confirmed

;D My comment was a poor attempt at a play on words.

Say… some of my best friends listen to soul music!

But honestly, some recent edits are trying to shoehorn feel-good soul tunes when it frankly just doesn't fit the part—like the editor is trying to trick me into feeling like the part is a bright, happy breath of fresh air in this morass of stinky bad attitude videos. Sorry about it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:54:55 PM by Cool Ceith »

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu

this one is best, entire part is switch or nollie. classic
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3389
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
I'll drop soul inside your earhole
Add the bassline then I hit you with a fat drum roll
HIT IT
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:25:39 PM by GAY »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
i'd appreciate it if they could also get rid of the bad copyright-free rock music they use for everything that is not soul/motown

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
It's so bad, I would prefer just raw footy to be honest

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
i'd appreciate it if they could also get rid of the bad copyright-free rock music they use for everything that is not soul/motown

All they gotta do for that is to get Figgy to stop playing guitar. PLEASE.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
people don't actually think that Thrasher is the one picking the music for a Jamie Foy New Balance part, do they?  DO THEY????
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

All they gotta do for that is to get Figgy to stop playing guitar. PLEASE.

Ocelot

people don't actually think that Thrasher is the one picking the music for a Jamie Foy New Balance part, do they?  DO THEY????

No one's picking music they like

They pick whatever is available from a collection of royalty-free soul songs

You think Jamie Foy is listening to bottom of the barrel soul tracks being like "yeh this is my jam"

Nike is the exception, they pay for their shit on youtube

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
Expand Quote
[close]

No one's picking music they like

They pick whatever is available from a collection of royalty-free soul songs

You think Jamie Foy is listening to bottom of the barrel soul tracks being like "yeh this is my jam"

Nike is the exception, they pay for their shit on youtube

I don't think Foy is, but it's DEFINITELY New Balance, not Thrasher that is picking the music.  That's why they pick FREE music, so they don't have to pay - Thrasher is just hosting the video, they have nothing to do with any aspect of a brand's video production.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

olympic sk8r

it's slightly better than the shit recordings of some homie of a homie's chode rock or bong metal band they sometimes use

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
it's slightly better than the shit recordings of some homie of a homie's chode rock or bong metal band they sometimes use
I love monk RIP but grindline: the band can be rough on the ears, and I love alot of crusty punk.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1367
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Oh hey guys Ocelot doesn't like soul music so you better not pick it for your edits or they'll call it bottom of the barrel.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Bumpovertrash

worst conplaint ever

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
worst conplaint ever

This is honestly the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about soul music.

Edit: wait no I remember in the movie Ray a lady telling Ray Charles that anything that wasn’t gospel was the Devil’s music. That’s the closest example that comes to mind
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:57:19 PM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Shalom Iginla

We need more Tuvan throat singing in skate edits.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Did someone say sassy?
We need more Tuvan throat singing in skate edits.
Klezmer or Die.

JackKlompis

• Rep: 6
that song is not from some "royalty free music" catalogue and is far from bottom of the barrel, it's a rare single by an artist and is the only record she put out, it's pretty desirable to soul collectors/DJs and has not been reissued...

the only reason they wouldn't have to pay rights is because it is on an obscure label that hasn't been bought out by a major or reissue label (apparently the original masters for many of the labels releases have since been destroyed by a fire), though it is possible the original owners family is still around and aware enough to get paid.

I know what people mean when they say some soul doesn't work well with parts, but I thought this song worked well enough here.
look who's eating at 6 o'clock

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I think what Ocelot is trying to say is:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:23:23 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
I think what Ocelot is trying to say is:

Yup. I mean yes, for the people who don't know what black means, African-American.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx