Author Topic: Reynolds of Emerica?  (Read 149589 times)

squintharder

Re: Reynolds of Emerica?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

SoleTech has been a sinking ship for years. I'm surprised they're in business at all. SoleTech had an amazing run for two decades, but it has been limping along since the early 2010s.

Nike def caused some problems for them, but they caused a lot of their own problems as well.

Agreed. Sad to say, really. That being said, I just bought a pair of the joslins and I like them a lot. S/o to soletech for making wide fitting shoes

hashbrowns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 02:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
TBH it's not unexpected, Reynolds walked away from altamont, a sol tech company he seemed to be largely in charge of.

Also, all of sol tech is really doing some weird shit.

Not long ago a ton of Emerica, Es, and Etnies were in grocery outlets (a bargain grocery store chain that sells food but also other random shit they can get for cheap) all over the northwest for $20 apiece. And these weren't like random shitty one-offs, they were season old versions of Maranas, G Code IIs, and other current good skate shoes.

What sucks is they could have given this extra stock to local shops that still carry them as a thank you for the support over the years. Instead, they went the easy route and sold out to someone willing to buy it all at once, it came across as a big fuck you shop owners and the industry in general because it undercut and took business from everyone selling those exact same shoes in the surrounding areas.

All of their long-standing riders provost/figgy/spanky/leo seem indifferent to the brand, others like Herman and Reynolds are dropping or doing their own thing and the stay gold era vibes are long gone in spite of still having ripping skaters on the team.

A lot of the same can probably be said for the other sol tech brands but I don't have other concrete examples.
[close]
that sucks to hear. Sole Tech does not have the same charm or authenticity it had going for itself in the early 2000s. the Emerica team page is kind of a motley crew, definitely in a weird place right now. and there's no obvious solution to bringing the organic feel back that the team once had. losing Heath Herman Hsu Westgate and Miner really are big shoes to fill.

to me, the Emerica team that makes sense is Reynolds, Leo, Spanky, Collin, Dickson, Leabres and Figgy. Winkowski seems so out of left field (like who on the team really pulled strings to get him on?), Baekkel has no real ties to other dudes on the team, Rob Maatman is good as fuck and should come out to the US more, Victor is another tight jeans rail chomper kid, and Zach fucking wishes he was as good as Kader.

On that note Devin Bagnoli is flow for them and really really fucked up good, I think he could help bring back some of that mid-late 2000's feel if he got a chance to shine in another emerica video.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
If he is going to be on Vans, it is probably a prototype of his pro model. Doubt he would sign without launching a sig shoe

you're onto something here, he's gonna want a cup sole. ultra range, kw, maybe ave shoe, any other current cups? DD, boss, tyson, kader, lot of baker at vans these days.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -273
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »
I’ve been vocal for years on here about supporting actual skate shoe brands like Emerica and Lakai, but if this happens there’s actually no point anymore, the big brands own skating and skateboardings point of difference is out the window. Don’t get me wrong, Reynolds is the absolute GOAT, and gets a pass for absolutely anything, but I guess I won’t be able to hide my disappointment in that a part of me always wants to believe that Reynolds is a die hard skater and was down to support actual skate brands till the end.

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:37:07 PM by Suit Up! »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »
I’ve been vocal for years on here about supporting actual skate shoe brands like Emerica and Lakai, but if this happens there’s actually no point anymore, the big brands own skating and skateboardings point of difference is out the window. Don’t get me wrong, Reynolds is the absolute GOAT, and gets a pass for absolutely anything, but I guess I won’t be able to hide my disappointment in that a part of me always wants to believe that Reynolds is a die hard skater and was down to support actual skate brands till the end.

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
Just bc they’re “skater owned” or owned by “skaters” doesn’t give them the right to produce lower quality products and are shoes exclusive for skateboarding? No so in a capitalist market you can’t just use the excuse “We’re skater owned” and expect people to buy.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]
Just bc they’re “skater owned” or owned by “skaters” doesn’t give them the right to produce lower quality products and are shoes exclusive for skateboarding? No so in a capitalist market you can’t just use the excuse “We’re skater owned” and expect people to buy.

Did I say “skater owned” ? .. I said “actual skate companies”. Companies that have an interest in skating besides profit. See Emerica and Lakai ‘Stay Flared’ two companies out to promote skating and help it at a grass roots level vs being in skating to take from it, and take from it only.
Ask yourself, would nike and adidas ever do a tour together? Of course not, because they see each other  as ‘competition’ and not another brand representing the culture of skateboarding. Yes, they exist to make money, but their origin is more about supporting something they love vs taking from any avenue possible.

And the whole lower quality thing is such bullshit.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.

Maybe this is actually 'the end' for skate shoe brands? Ever think of that?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 04:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

NO SHIT?!

I can’t believe people that love skating enough to talk about it on a website all day with complete strangers are ok with this.

Reese

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

I can’t believe people that love skating enough to talk about it on a website all day with complete strangers are ok with this.

Why are you here?

fs overkrook

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
$20 shoes from target skate the same as $65 vans, emericas, or lakai. Shits all pointless. Just go pay for the company you want to support for your own personal reasons and fuck off with that bullshit.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

[close]

Why are you here?
My thoughts exactly. Another person in denial.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

[close]

Why are you here?

I’ve been here for years discussing skateboarding. Why are you here?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

[close]

Why are you here?
[close]
My thoughts exactly. Another person in denial.

What am in denial over?

Reese

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

[close]

Why are you here?
[close]

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »
I'm ok with this as long as he puts out a nice cupsole shoe that doesn't look like every other vans shoe. Now that Emerica has freed up some money, they should put Cole Wilson and Corey Glick on the team. Everyone wins.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 06:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

RIP EMERICA.
RIP Actual skate brands.
[close]

[close]

NO SHIT?!

[close]

Why are you here?
[close]

[close]

Very edgy of you, but you didn’t answer my question.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
Doesn’t seem to fit for me. Never been a fan of the jazz stripe or whatever it’s called.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Felo Romero

• Rep: 1
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm ok with this as long as he puts out a nice cupsole shoe that doesn't look like every other vans shoe. Now that Emerica has freed up some money, they should put Cole Wilson and Corey Glick on the team. Everyone wins.

Put Dakota fully on too

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
I hate to say it but emerica is just not doing anything noteworthy these days. Since Jerry got the boot.
They screwed Jerry over.
They don’t deserve our loyalty.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
Will be weird seeing a Reynolds shoe from any other brand and not seeing an occasional Reynolds clip through green tint but it’s not bumming me out super hard and I figure it’s because the emerica era that was so important to me is already over. GOAT era and my era Emerica is peak Reynolds, Heath, Ellington going off. Emerica videos without those dudes being last part contenders are still pretty cool but it’s not the same to me. Jerry forced of, isn’t Miner of too or did I make that up? Crazy how the kids Spanky and Herm will be the OGs now.

the GOAT deserves to be paid forever so he can choose whatever shoe he wants and I’ll cop cuz I’m a stan. I have never skated vans are they good? At least vans would be more core than Nike or Adidas right?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:49:38 PM by VHS ERA »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
but those of you feeling Emerica nostalgia can watch this and weep with me

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
While I respect emerica more then Nike I’ve never worn a pair because I’m Canadian and could only ride north emericas without feeling like a trader.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
Long story short soletech is blowing it and vans seems to be the only fitting (shoe) company for Reynolds. Bigger paycheck, more coverage, just all around a better move.

mongopushingmallgraber

• Rep: 31
    • Voicemail avatar image
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
Will be weird seeing a Reynolds shoe from any other brand and not seeing an occasional Reynolds clip through green tint but it’s not bumming me out super hard and I figure it’s because the emerica era that was so important to me is already over. GOAT era and my era Emerica is peak Reynolds, Heath, Ellington going off. Emerica videos without those dudes being last part contenders are still pretty cool but it’s not the same to me. Jerry forced of, isn’t Miner of too or did I make that up? Crazy how the kids Spanky and Herm will be the OGs now.

the GOAT deserves to be paid forever so he can choose whatever shoe he wants and I’ll cop cuz I’m a stan. I have never skated vans are they good? At least vans would be more core than Nike or Adidas right?

Herm been had of

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »
$20 shoes from target skate the same as $65 vans, emericas, or lakai. Shits all pointless. Just go pay for the company you want to support for your own personal reasons and fuck off with that bullshit.

This is only true if you are the type of skater who just rides around, maybe skates flat ground and can’t even tell the difference between spit fire wheels vs bones wheels, which I guess is 70% of skaters but not me or my boys.

McJagger

• Rep: 3
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Put Dakota fully on too

Glick is already on Vans and I think we've discussed why it would be a bad move to go the other way.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Herm been had of

Word you’re right I forgot. Yea see my Emerica is a wrap Reynolds of would be the nail tho. Herm on HRS or whatever? Are those even skate shoes?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
Anyone got the inside scoop on this? Seems like a done deal getting clips in vans.

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »
Y’all realize Emericas are sold at grocery outlets (actuall name of store) ?

Lmao that’s where I get rose for the club on Fridays.