Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4809371 times)

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #25740 on: September 27, 2020, 06:02:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Hockey 8.5
Ace 44 (3 washers inside each wheel)
Spitfire Formula 4 classics 99a 54mm (probably around 52 right now?)
Bones REDS
1" bolts

Switching between Vans Era pros and Authentic Hi's AA

Thinking of going back to Indy 159 with conical fulls 56mm, what do you guys think? Feels like ace with 54 classics are easier to flip, but 159s and 56 conical fulls are so much better for crusty spots and transition skating...

And yes, I'm a huge Andrew Allen fanboi.
[close]

Show us your Andrew Allen cosplay.

BRB, just gonna go comb my hair, shave my beard and leave just the stache and sideburns, and put on a shirt/polo, buttoned all the way up of course.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #25741 on: September 27, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hockey 8.5
Ace 44 (3 washers inside each wheel)
Spitfire Formula 4 classics 99a 54mm (probably around 52 right now?)
Bones REDS
1" bolts

Switching between Vans Era pros and Authentic Hi's AA

Thinking of going back to Indy 159 with conical fulls 56mm, what do you guys think? Feels like ace with 54 classics are easier to flip, but 159s and 56 conical fulls are so much better for crusty spots and transition skating...

And yes, I'm a huge Andrew Allen fanboi.
[close]

Show us your Andrew Allen cosplay.
[close]

BRB, just gonna go comb my hair, shave my beard and leave just the stache and sideburns, and put on a shirt/polo, buttoned all the way up of course.

Need pics.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #25742 on: September 27, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »

i've already posted bitching about this board in another thread, but I thought I'd update since i've skated it a couple times.

just as I suspected, this feels like some kind of garbage price point trash.  you can see the graphic flaking off; if feels way too light and brittle.  just super cheap.  wanna get rid of it, but i might as well just skate it for a couple weeks without worrying about fucking it up. i might spray paint the nose and the tail.  first Tum Yeto in about 20 years; my fault for forgetting how shitty they are

Toy Machine 8.5
Ace 44s with Riptide pivot cups
Oj 53mm Hardline with Madars Apse's dumbass face all over them

going up to an 8.5 feels nice.  flipping the board is gonna take getting used to, but feels a lot better overall. 

bitter old man rant over. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25743 on: September 27, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »

i've already posted bitching about this board in another thread, but I thought I'd update since i've skated it a couple times.

just as I suspected, this feels like some kind of garbage price point trash.  you can see the graphic flaking off; if feels way too light and brittle.  just super cheap.  wanna get rid of it, but i might as well just skate it for a couple weeks without worrying about fucking it up. i might spray paint the nose and the tail.  first Tum Yeto in about 20 years; my fault for forgetting how shitty they are

Toy Machine 8.5
Ace 44s with Riptide pivot cups
Oj 53mm Hardline with Madars Apse's dumbass face all over them

going up to an 8.5 feels nice.  flipping the board is gonna take getting used to, but feels a lot better overall. 

The TM/Foundation pro decks are fine (I keep forgetting if they're made by BBS or PS, but apparently they changed woodshops due to covid). The team and logo boards aren't.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25744 on: September 27, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »

8.25 DOA
5.25 Venture lo
50mm Spitfire bigheads
Swiss
Jessup
Shorty’s 7/8 Allen
+1
venture lows are where its at
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Glurmpz

« Reply #25745 on: September 27, 2020, 08:44:48 PM »

first Tum Yeto in about 20 years; my fault for forgetting how shitty they are

Board construction has improved in the last 2 decades and they aren't made where they were back then. Did you get one of the China pressed decks? Got several complaints about those ones at the shop. They're back to the PS Stix boards again - I think the China decks may have just been so they could get stock. I'm not a fan of the PS ones though, they're super flat with weird shapes.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #25746 on: September 27, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Board construction has improved in the last 2 decades and they aren't made where they were back then. Did you get one of the China pressed decks? Got several complaints about those ones at the shop. They're back to the PS Stix boards again - I think the China decks may have just been so they could get stock. I'm not a fan of the PS ones though, they're super flat with weird shapes.

Like I’ve mentioned I think the “complete boards” from toy are China, but I’ve had other China decks regardless and they’ve been fine. My current blind reissue setup said made in China, and it is very solid. Feels very nice.

Maybe those just suck though and like @Glurmpz said might just be those shitty boards to keep stock. I’ve had multiple nice toy machine decks within the past few years, from teams to pros, but you never know nowadays I guess.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #25747 on: September 27, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it feels like it.  i got this from my local, but had to order online for pickup due to covid.  it looked like colored wood grain in the photo, and the other one's i've seen online looked like that too, but this one is definitely different.  the wood grain on the top ply looked irregular and sloppy if that makes sense. 

if anyone remembers those Goodwood/Bummer High decks from the mid 2000s, it reminds me of one of those. 

i've got a Quasi and a Hopps gripped and ready to go, but i just cant justify wasting 60 bucks so i'll try to get the most I can out of it 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25748 on: September 28, 2020, 12:16:40 AM »
strange that the complete bottom is painted.

All the ps wood fists ive seen have been on a wood grain (stained). I've got a TM fists board in grey wood grain on the wall at home. Defs ps stix, 8.5. strange 8.5 shape but i think i'll like it when i set it up.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #25749 on: September 28, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »

it feels like it.  i got this from my local, but had to order online for pickup due to covid.  it looked like colored wood grain in the photo, and the other one's i've seen online looked like that too, but this one is definitely different.  the wood grain on the top ply looked irregular and sloppy if that makes sense. 

if anyone remembers those Goodwood/Bummer High decks from the mid 2000s, it reminds me of one of those. 

i've got a Quasi and a Hopps gripped and ready to go, but i just cant justify wasting 60 bucks so i'll try to get the most I can out of it 

Is it one of the unstained tops? I saw pics of some of those on one of the warehouse/ccs type sites and they looked like they had ASF/clutch stamps. Just FYI if it's a PS deck then your quasi is going to be the same wood.

Unrelated crowd sourcing request -

This lotti deck is so much FUN that I'm in the market for a football that's closer to my normal (8.25/8.38) size. Im looking at the enjoi Deedz shape and the Cromer "lil snuff" but if anyone knows of other 8.25-8.5 footballs let me know. Preferably on the short side, 31.5-31.75 (tip to tip, no concave) is my sweet spot.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #25750 on: September 28, 2020, 04:00:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sweet mother of God, those were the worst pieces of crap ever.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25751 on: September 28, 2020, 06:21:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it one of the unstained tops? I saw pics of some of those on one of the warehouse/ccs type sites and they looked like they had ASF/clutch stamps. Just FYI if it's a PS deck then your quasi is going to be the same wood.

This lotti deck is so much FUN that I'm in the market for a football that's closer to my normal (8.25/8.38) size. Im looking at the enjoi Deedz shape and the Cromer "lil snuff" but if anyone knows of other 8.25-8.5 footballs let me know. Preferably on the short side, 31.5-31.75 (tip to tip, no concave) is my sweet spot.

I know you probably already know, but most footballs skate a lot smaller than they actually are by like 1/2". So if you wanted something like a 8.25" I would recommend an 8.75" football like the Polar or the Enjoi Thaynan. But assuming you already know that and mean you legit want a football that maxes at 8.5", the AH Black Widown and Krooked Little Snuff both look super nice and everyone I've walked too who didn't think they were too small loved them. The Deedz board looks cool, and I have the slightly bigger Thaynan shape that I haven't skated yet. Darkroom prisms also looks sick. Widest is 8.75" but it has some pretty heavy duty taper.

https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/prisma-skateboard-deck?variant=32146610847793

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #25752 on: September 28, 2020, 07:04:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I know you probably already know, but most footballs skate a lot smaller than they actually are by like 1/2". So if you wanted something like a 8.25" I would recommend an 8.75" football like the Polar or the Enjoi Thaynan. But assuming you already know that and mean you legit want a football that maxes at 8.5", the AH Black Widown and Krooked Little Snuff both look super nice and everyone I've walked too who didn't think they were too small loved them. The Deedz board looks cool, and I have the slightly bigger Thaynan shape that I haven't skated yet. Darkroom prisms also looks sick. Widest is 8.75" but it has some pretty heavy duty taper.

https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/prisma-skateboard-deck?variant=32146610847793

yeah, the AH black widow is fun to skate in..pointy nose though..if the nose is shaped like the tail, it would be bangers..for me atleast..

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #25753 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
Polar Sanbongi 8.5
Indy forged 149
Indy bolts
Andale bearings
Mob
Spitfire F4 99d were 54mm

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #25754 on: September 28, 2020, 08:55:48 AM »
Polar Sanbongi 8.5
Indy forged 149
Indy bolts
Andale bearings
Mob
Spitfire F4 99d were 54mm
Minor deduction for the Andale bearings. Otherwise, stellar.

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #25755 on: September 28, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »
Thats fair, they are on there because of blue shields. Also going to blue Indy bushings when they arrive.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #25756 on: September 28, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »

917 8.5 with 14.75 wheelbase (very long wb lol)
ace 44
spitfire 56mm f4 classic full (they dont make these style anymore)

interesting combo i think with the short ace wb but 14.75 deck wb. going to try it out tomorrow

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25757 on: September 28, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »

Yeah I'm aware that they skate a lot smaller. I think part of what I'm really enjoying...sorry, having FUN... about this deck is just skating something smaller. The Cromer shape looks like the tail is pretty full compared to most footballs, so I'm kind of intrigued by that but the Deedz looks like its basically just a slightly scaled up version of the Lotti (dont know if its as flat though, I doubt it) so I'm kind of leaning in that direction. Unfortunately the graphics that are out right now are pretty lackluster... one is some weird Chris Haslam hat thing and the other just looks like a giant pickle or watermelon or something. I'd probably go for that Villani one if I could find one.

Also thanks for the link but I kind of hate darkroom. I'm not a Pendleton fan, his graphics don't appeal to me in any way. I don't think they're necessarily bad, but definitely not for me.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25758 on: September 29, 2020, 06:00:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I'm aware that they skate a lot smaller. I think part of what I'm really enjoying...sorry, having FUN... about this deck is just skating something smaller. The Cromer shape looks like the tail is pretty full compared to most footballs, so I'm kind of intrigued by that but the Deedz looks like its basically just a slightly scaled up version of the Lotti (dont know if its as flat though, I doubt it) so I'm kind of leaning in that direction. Unfortunately the graphics that are out right now are pretty lackluster... one is some weird Chris Haslam hat thing and the other just looks like a giant pickle or watermelon or something. I'd probably go for that Villani one if I could find one.

Also thanks for the link but I kind of hate darkroom. I'm not a Pendleton fan, his graphics don't appeal to me in any way. I don't think they're necessarily bad, but definitely not for me.

Wow, a Pendleton hater. SAD!

JK, I like Mike Hill better but the shape looks cool to me. I have the Thaynan which is like a scaled up Deedz and it is the standard DSM mellow concave with "steep" kicks that aren't that crazy to me. So IDK if that helps. Haven't skated the Cromer but that general style of shape is super good (the Cards board I like is like a scaled up version). The round tail and the fact that it tapers to the front rule.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25759 on: September 29, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »

Not my typical setup. Just put something together to see what it was like.
8.25" socal blank. The bottom and top plies are both dark brown. Very nice. I'm going to be screen printing a small logo on this board using my wife's die cutting machine (see below), so that's my reason for getting a blank.
Venture 5.6.. Felt like buying a pair of these. I probably wont like them and will switch my Indys onto this.
44mm Boardy Cakes
Reds
Mob
Allen 7/8th hardware. Eww! Where are my philips?!?

I can already tell I'm not going to be able to skate this setup, just from standing on it in my living room. The pop is wayyy to mellow. First I'll try to put on some normal sized wheels. If that doesn't make the pop feel more normal, I'll have to put the Indy's on.

Logos I'm fiddling with are below. Dark blue is going to be too dark for this board but this is the general idea:

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #25760 on: September 29, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »

Not my typical setup. Just put something together to see what it was like.
8.25" socal blank. The bottom and top plies are both dark brown. Very nice. I'm going to be screen printing a small logo on this board using my wife's die cutting machine (see below), so that's my reason for getting a blank.
Venture 5.6.. Felt like buying a pair of these. I probably wont like them and will switch my Indys onto this.
44mm Boardy Cakes
Reds
Mob
Allen 7/8th hardware. Eww! Where are my philips?!?

I can already tell I'm not going to be able to skate this setup, just from standing on it in my living room. The pop is wayyy to mellow. First I'll try to put on some normal sized wheels. If that doesn't make the pop feel more normal, I'll have to put the Indy's on.

Logos I'm fiddling with are below. Dark blue is going to be too dark for this board but this is the general idea:

I dig the logo. Maybe the center one with the logo negative and the font the same color would pop.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25761 on: September 29, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »
@TheLowerBack that's a good suggestion. I like seeing woodgrain in negative space. I will probably attempt that.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25762 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:30 AM »

Are those socal blanks Clutch (letter+number stamp in front truck holes) or prime (size and mold code in back truck holes)? If it's a clutch some of them have longer (14.5) wheelbases standard so probably not the best deck for cast plate ventures. I like them best on 14.12 or 14.25 decks with mellow tails. Also if these are your first ventures be aware that the stock bushings are harder (94a) than most and they take a while to break in.

ballintoohard

« Reply #25763 on: September 30, 2020, 10:16:59 AM »

Polar 8.375
Thunder Ti Lite 148 2 washers inside
Loophole 52
Bones Swiss 6 whatever
Some kind of Allen hardware

Love the deck, not sure if this is the ideal truck setup for me. Overal like the Thunders, but seem to have less pop/flick with them. Might be due to the lower height or longer WB not sure.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25764 on: September 30, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are those socal blanks Clutch (letter+number stamp in front truck holes) or prime (size and mold code in back truck holes)? If it's a clutch some of them have longer (14.5) wheelbases standard so probably not the best deck for cast plate ventures. I like them best on 14.12 or 14.25 decks with mellow tails. Also if these are your first ventures be aware that the stock bushings are harder (94a) than most and they take a while to break in.
It had two indistinguishable numbers or letters stamped into the top by the bolts, so probably a clutch, but the wheelbase is 14.25".

I have an unopened set of Bones Big Balls, and I was tempted to put them on the boardy cakes because 1.) big balls on tiny wheels, and 2.) the light blue bearing shields would match the wheel graphic.
I ended up shelfing that idea and waiting to put the big balls on wheels that I'll actually skate.

Diocletian

« Reply #25765 on: September 30, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
SoCal blanks are clutch. I had one once, same nice looking brown stain. It was weird, had a real dry brittle feeling to it and whenever the sides of the plies scraped the ground they’d flake and splinter away real easy compared to a more solid/sealed feeling board that’s generator or south central.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #25766 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »

Love this one.
Creature willis kimbel 9.0
Indy 169 forged hollow
Oj hardline 55mm

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #25767 on: September 30, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »

Love this one.
Indy 169 forged hollow
Oj hardline 55mm

That's sick. Well done. I should look up that board. WB?
ok thanks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #25768 on: September 30, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Love this one.
Indy 169 forged hollow
Oj hardline 55mm
[close]

that 15” wb and 33” right? Full NHS kit. Come to big boys thread

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #25769 on: September 30, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love this one.
Indy 169 forged hollow
Oj hardline 55mm
[close]

[close]
that 15” wb and 33” right? Full NHS kit. Come to big boys thread

Indeed on the measurement. And there is no way you can find these anymore. His boards go quick even not in a pandemic. It's called the "petroglyph" .
I will def check out that thread, thanks!