Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786163 times)

Anxiety (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #25890 on: October 14, 2020, 12:30:42 AM »
putting grip over the bolts is a total freak-move  :-*
it grinds all of my available gears to the maximum.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #25891 on: October 14, 2020, 03:56:07 AM »
I couldnt do it, but I think it looks cool..for what thats worth. And the New England/east coast grip job is dope.

Global Moderator

« Reply #25892 on: October 14, 2020, 05:53:08 AM »
Expand Quote
How does only having half the number of bolts over the grip tape make gripping it way easier?
[close]
nothing gets past us pal @Global Moderator
Because with the trucks & wheels already connected to the board after the first four bolts, they lock the board onto a workbench edge like a 50-50 grind. This allows me to get a really nice angle for pulling the razor blade smoothly through the griptape in one continuous motion, leaving a super clean edge.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #25893 on: October 14, 2020, 06:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How does only having half the number of bolts over the grip tape make gripping it way easier?
[close]
nothing gets past us pal @Global Moderator
[close]
Because with the trucks & wheels already connected to the board after the first four bolts, they lock the board onto a workbench edge like a 50-50 grind. This allows me to get a really nice angle for pulling the razor blade smoothly through the griptape in one continuous motion, leaving a super clean edge.
Mhmmmmm

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25894 on: October 14, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »
i would kill for a steady reissue of the BAs.  just one pair a season and I'd be happy
Hey Nike, we aren't asking for that much.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #25895 on: October 14, 2020, 03:16:25 PM »
So I bought this Tactics deck because 1)I'm a broke ass full time student and 2)It's definitely BBS wood. I just switched from a Real 8.25" 14.38 wb  and it feels virtually identical right down to the concave so I'm quite happy.

Deck: Tactics 8.375" x 14.375" wb
Grip: Jessup Ultra
Trucks: Indy 149 forged hollows (i know the hangars say reynolds, but swapped baseplates for forged), rip tide cracked ice pivots, indy orange barrel aftermarket bushings
wheels: Spitfire F4s 99a conical fulls, originally 56mm
Bearings: Bones swiss, regular
hardware: 7/8" allen diamond bolts

Shoes: etnies marana michelin

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #25896 on: October 14, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »
So I bought this Tactics deck because 1)I'm a broke ass full time student and 2)It's definitely BBS wood. I just switched from a Real 8.25" 14.38 wb  and it feels virtually identical right down to the concave so I'm quite happy.

Deck: Tactics 8.375" x 14.375" wb
Grip: Jessup Ultra
Trucks: Indy 149 forged hollows (i know the hangars say reynolds, but swapped baseplates for forged), rip tide cracked ice pivots, indy orange barrel aftermarket bushings
wheels: Spitfire F4s 99a conical fulls, originally 56mm
Bearings: Bones swiss, regular
hardware: 7/8" allen diamond bolts

Shoes: etnies marana michelin

I bet you could beat me in a game of s.k.a.t.e. +1
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25897 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »

Krooked Bobby Worrest 8.12" x 31.38" with 14 WB
Thunder 148 standards with stock bushings
Spitfire F4 52mm 99a Radials
Bones Big Balls
MOB
Thunder 1" hardware

I was going to get the Alexis Sablone Krooked guest deck, but the WB is 14.38" which is just a hair too much for me. Besides, the graphic was going to get fucked anyways.

Despite being the first pressed deck, this Worrest board is mellow as fuck (nose is so mellow it might as well be a twin tail shape!) and everything feels too light. I know I just need to get used to it, but IMO having Venture Hi trucks on this board would probably make it feel better.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #25898 on: October 15, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »

Bones Big Balls
MOB
Thunder 1" hardware

I was going to get the Alexis Sablone Krooked guest deck, but the WB is 14.38" which is just a hair too much for me. Besides, the graphic was going to get fucked anyways.

Despite being the first pressed deck, this Worrest board is mellow as fuck (nose is so mellow it might as well be a twin tail shape!) and everything feels too light. I know I just need to get used to it, but IMO having Venture Hi trucks on this board would probably make it feel better.
my fav size/shape. wish dlx made more of these.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #25899 on: October 15, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
Quick question: how are tails usually measured by companies when they list board specs? From back truck holes to the tip of the tail, or from wherever the curve of the tail starts to the tip of the tail?

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #25900 on: October 16, 2020, 05:29:01 AM »
Quick question: how are tails usually measured by companies when they list board specs? From back truck holes to the tip of the tail, or from wherever the curve of the tail starts to the tip of the tail?
From the back truck holes to the tip sir as far as I've seen.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25901 on: October 16, 2020, 05:40:48 AM »

Bones Big Balls
MOB
Thunder 1" hardware

This board looks great. I’m looking to try that size next. I rode 14” wheelbase through the 90s until 2012, then welcome came along and it seems like most companies wheelbases got a lot bigger. My muscle memory is set to a 14” wheelbase.

JB77

« Reply #25902 on: October 16, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »
putting grip over the bolts is a total freak-move  :-*
it grinds all of my available gears to the maximum.
I don’t peel the backing off my grip tape so the bolts are keeping it attached to the top of the deck.  Otherwise, I might try gripping over them.  Looks clean, imo.  🤷🏻‍♂️

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #25903 on: October 16, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »

REAL 8.5 Full SE
Indy 149ti (w/cast baseplates, riptide pivot cups, indy aftermarket conical bushings)
SF F4 Classic Full 54mm 99a
Swiss

shoe rotation:
Vans half cab classics
nike blazer hi
Cons Louie Lopez
hardly art, hardly starving

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #25904 on: October 16, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Such a proper sticker placement art, set up is looking nice.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #25905 on: October 16, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »

REAL 8.5 Full SE
Indy 149ti (w/cast baseplates, riptide pivot cups, indy aftermarket conical bushings)
SF F4 Classic Full 54mm 99a
Swiss

shoe rotation:
Vans half cab classics
nike blazer hi
Cons Louie Lopez

Sweet board, hows the length?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #25906 on: October 16, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »

REAL FULL SE
W 8.5
L 32.25
WB 14.38
nose: 7.125
tail: 6.625

with the 14.38 WB, on paper, the REAL 8.5 Full SE might even beat out my all time fav 8.5 shape from Polar, that has the following specs:

POLAR
W 8.5
L 32.125
WB 14.5
NOSE: 7.125
TAIL: 6.75

hardly art, hardly starving

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #25907 on: October 16, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »

First time in ages that I got to the axle so it was the perfect excuse to threat myself and to return to Indy.
Sunrise x Delivery 8.5
Indy GT 149 hollows
Indy 7/8"
Swiss 6
F4 conical full 99 54mm (not my first choice of color but is all I could find)
I'll try Puig shoe with this beauty
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:55:03 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #25908 on: October 16, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »

First time in ages that I got to the axle so it was the perfect excuse to threat myself and to return to Indy.
Sunrise x Delivery 8.5
Indy GT 149 hollows
Indy 7/8"
Swiss 6
Style 138 x Former not pictured.

BEAUTIFUL

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #25909 on: October 16, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

Sunrise x Delivery 8.5
Indy GT 149 hollows
Indy 7/8"
Swiss 6

poast is missing details on your slippers setup

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #25910 on: October 17, 2020, 02:14:15 AM »

Sunrise x Delivery 8.5
Indy GT 149 hollows
Indy 7/8"
Swiss 6

So pretty

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #25911 on: October 17, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »

Toy Machine 7.62
New 5.0 lo's
50mm classics
Jessup
DC

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #25912 on: October 17, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »
so many great things to say about this deck. was concerned about how it would line up with the hockey 8.5, but its damn near 1/1. picked the steepest quasi in the shop and it fit snug vs. a skated hockey, even at the nose. the quasi felt boxier since it measured 8.6 at the front bolts and only tapered down to 8.5 in the back. quasi is also shorter than the hockey by about 0.25", which surprisingly has helped my skating for some reason. PS wood popped much crispier than the BBS counterpart right out the wrap.

my local doesnt have an FA account (thanks dill) but 3 stops on the j sure beat the 11 stops it would take to go to chinatown for basically the same board. hard to say which i prefer out of the two but it feels great to have more than one go to shape.

quasi jake johnson 8.5/31.75/14.25 WB
5.2 lo hollows w/flat bottom washers and riptides
boardycakes benchwarmers 48.5mm 99a
super swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
jordan 1 lows (not pictured)
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25913 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
so many great things to say about this deck. was concerned about how it would line up with the hockey 8.5, but its damn near 1/1. picked the steepest quasi in the shop and it fit snug vs. a skated hockey, even at the nose. the quasi felt boxier since it measured 8.6 at the front bolts and only tapered down to 8.5 in the back. quasi is also shorter than the hockey by about 0.25", which surprisingly has helped my skating for some reason. PS wood popped much crispier than the BBS counterpart right out the wrap.

my local doesnt have an FA account (thanks dill) but 3 stops on the j sure beat the 11 stops it would take to go to chinatown for basically the same board. hard to say which i prefer out of the two but it feels great to have more than one go to shape.

super swiss 6
bronze allen
mob

Do the Crocs provide adequate impact support?

Jokes aside, how does a wider deck with "standard" length and WB feel? Wider definitely feels more comfortable (flips, slides) but the length and WB scaling up are too much for me to handle. Widest I ever rode was a 8.38 Real Ishod twin tail, would like to see how a wider deck with shorter length and WB would feel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #25914 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »

super swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
Does that taper bother you? I'm lookin at it and I gotta say it's freaking me out.
Whoa. Danger.

Sluggloaph

« Reply #25915 on: October 17, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »

Toy Machine 7.62
New 5.0 lo's
50mm classics
Jessup
DC
This whole operation is screaming at me to go skate, well fuckin done pal.
Whoa. Danger.

nevrwasben

« Reply #25916 on: October 17, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote

super swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
[close]
Does that taper bother you? I'm lookin at it and I gotta say it's freaking me out.
Same here.
Popsicle or shaped, okay; the in between taper shape looks like a flawed popsicle to me.
But hey, different strokes...

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #25917 on: October 17, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

super swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
[close]
[close]
Same here.
Popsicle or shaped, okay; the in between taper shape looks like a flawed popsicle to me.
But hey, different strokes...
the board tapers 0.1", the camera angle just makes it look much worse than it is. really insignificant when riding imo

Do the Crocs provide adequate impact support?

Jokes aside, how does a wider deck with "standard" length and WB feel? Wider definitely feels more comfortable (flips, slides) but the length and WB scaling up are too much for me to handle. Widest I ever rode was a 8.38 Real Ishod twin tail, would like to see how a wider deck with shorter length and WB would feel.
it feels great actually. i had an 8.25 with the same dims and hated it whereas this board feels like heaven. my size 13 feet just cant handle anything under 8.5 cause half my foot is hanging off the deck. id highly suggest trying this shape
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #25918 on: October 17, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

REAL FULL SE
W 8.5
L 32.25
WB 14.38
nose: 7.125
tail: 6.625

with the 14.38 WB, on paper, the REAL 8.5 Full SE might even beat out my all time fav 8.5 shape from Polar, that has the following specs:

POLAR
W 8.5
L 32.125
WB 14.5
NOSE: 7.125
TAIL: 6.75

These numbers don’t add up
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

newspaperparty