Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4806793 times)

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26850 on: January 19, 2021, 10:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Are blanks on the come-back? I'm down with it... don't want to pay 60-$70 for a deck!
[close]

I don’t really think they’re coming back anymore than they were.  I just prefer having more control over what I ride.  I had a string of shit boards last year and I was tired of rolling the dice.  I’ve become really picky; I need a blank or minimal graphic with paint over colored wood.  If it’s that flaky heat transfer paint over natural wood it ruins the board for me. 

I think some brands are selling subpar product because of all the Covid shortages.  I’d still rather have my money go to a small brand, which is why I’m considering getting the carpet blanks going forward.

Ah, I see. I'm just not that content with some of the price hikes i've noticed on skate product recently (I don't know, maybe it's just me). I'm considering a chapman blank, myself. Last time I had their wood in the form of a hopps deck, I was very pleased.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26851 on: January 20, 2021, 05:07:12 AM »
Zero bloody skull 7.75”X31.1” 13.88” WB
Thunder forged hollow 145
Spitfire f4 50mm 101a
bones bearings
pig 7/8” Allen hardware.

This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #26852 on: January 20, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »

8" goodwood blank (china)  14.125" WB
venture 5.2 low hollow (bones bushing top washers)
sf f4 OG classic 52mm 99du
swiss bones
bronze
jessup

board has a pretty nice full shape too it, bought a few of these blanks to try and screenprint on them using that Carpet Co. Squeegy. First spraypainted the pink/green , then tried to screen print, shit got fucked up, so put a vinyl sticker of a friends local company on there https://deadmanspartyco.com/

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #26853 on: January 20, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »

swiss bones
bronze
jessup

board has a pretty nice full shape too it, bought a few of these blanks to try and screenprint on them using that Carpet Co. Squeegy. First spraypainted the pink/green , then tried to screen print, shit got fucked up, so put a vinyl sticker of a friends local company on there https://deadmanspartyco.com/

Actual Goodwood is prime LA https://www.zumiez.com/goodwood-goodwoods-honey-8-25-skateboard-deck.html

What’s up with that squeegee though??? Have you tried it?

Ma

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #26854 on: January 20, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
Trying thunders again....

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #26855 on: January 20, 2021, 05:26:11 PM »

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

Goddamn that board is so good

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #26856 on: January 20, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »

Real 8.75 - my first 8.75 and I think I’m switching to it for the foreseeable future

Pig 52mm - I’m enjoying these much more than I thought I would, might try out their conical shape next

Indy 149 - smaller than ideal for a 8.75, but the deck overhang makes scoop tricks easier since I have more leverage, also primos don’t feel as bad

Mob

Super Reds

7 Black Indy and 1 Gold Pig Bolt

Louie Lopez Pro Model Cons 11.5

I, too, have settled on the 8.75” as my shape.  Currently riding a Krooked “Eyes” and have the same deck you’re riding and a Grant Taylor in reserve.

I bounced around between 8.38” and 8.5” for a while.  I’ve got a stack of them... if anybody’s in need.

Love the 8.75” Deluxe shape.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #26857 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »
I’m gonna start this off by saying Girl has always had great shapes and shit wood.  Even with the new wood I haven’t had a Girl deck last longer than a week.

As a connoisseur of fat kid decks (P2, Impact, Heavyweights, Flight, VX... I’ve had them all) when I saw they were doing the PopSecret decks I knew I would eventually get one. Here it is after 1 short session last night.

Girl Griffin Gas G053 Pop Secret 8.5
Ace 55 stock
Spitfire F4 56mm 99a classics
Grizzly grip with my on trend 2021 stripe   ::)
Bender hardware 1” Phillips
Reds
Canvas Janoski RM

Deck has nice steep stiff kicks, short tail (works well with Aces), 14.4 wheelbase, deeper concave than I normally see on Girl wood.

Trucks are new too. First time Ace stock bushings have actually felt good for me, I usually change them first session.  I’ve lost 40lbs recently, surely that helps.  I initially had it with risers thinking I was going to get wheelbite but I took them off 5mins in to skating yesterday.

Setup felt good.  Pop was great once I took the risers off. Aces always grind and turn great.  I was really stoked on how stable they felt.  I’ve had Aces before and I always ditch them.  Mostly did slappies, a little flat ground, and skated the box a little. If the pop secret deck keeps its pop/stiffness for 3 weeks then I’ll probably get another one. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26858 on: January 21, 2021, 07:24:42 AM »

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

Love this graphic. Got one as a well hanger from Library but it has been in USPS limbo for almost two months.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #26859 on: January 21, 2021, 07:40:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

[close]

Love this graphic. Got one as a well hanger from Library but it has been in USPS limbo for almost two months.

I fucked up. Didn’t do it. 8” flat is perfect (well of it has the 14” wb) but still. This company is so sick

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #26860 on: January 21, 2021, 08:00:13 AM »
Expand Quote

swiss bones
bronze
jessup

[close]

Actual Goodwood is prime LA https://www.zumiez.com/goodwood-goodwoods-honey-8-25-skateboard-deck.html

Ma

This board was definitely china made, it was a blank from AWH, pretty sure it was “good wood” but it’s at least 6 months old .

My roomate does screen printing though and got that squeegee . Had to make a custom mount to put the boards on but I think it works pretty well. The first screen we tried was just pushing too much ink thru .

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26861 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:28 AM »
I’m gonna start this off by saying Girl has always had great shapes and shit wood.  Even with the new wood I haven’t had a Girl deck last longer than a week.

As a connoisseur of fat kid decks (P2, Impact, Heavyweights, Flight, VX... I’ve had them all) when I saw they were doing the PopSecret decks I knew I would eventually get one. Here it is after 1 short session last night.

Ace 55 stock
Reds
Canvas Janoski RM

Deck has nice steep stiff kicks, short tail (works well with Aces), 14.4 wheelbase, deeper concave than I normally see on Girl wood.

Trucks are new too. First time Ace stock bushings have actually felt good for me, I usually change them first session.  I’ve lost 40lbs recently, surely that helps.  I initially had it with risers thinking I was going to get wheelbite but I took them off 5mins in to skating yesterday.

Setup felt good.  Pop was great once I took the risers off. Aces always grind and turn great.  I was really stoked on how stable they felt.  I’ve had Aces before and I always ditch them.  Mostly did slappies, a little flat ground, and skated the box a little. If the pop secret deck keeps its pop/stiffness for 3 weeks then I’ll probably get another one.

No truck overhang with 55s? Or is it just the camera angle?

Tomek

« Reply #26862 on: January 21, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

[close]

[close]

I fucked up. Didn’t do it. 8” flat is perfect (well of it has the 14” wb) but still. This company is so sick

I like the 8 flat and the 8.3 flat. For some reason I didn’t like the 8.25, it has a weird pocket of concave up by the front bolts (or just in my head)

If south central makes these shapes for anyone else I would be curious to know

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #26863 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55 stock
Reds
Canvas Janoski RM

[close]

No truck overhang with 55s? Or is it just the camera angle?

It’s just the angle. You can definitely see a little wheel on both sides.  I usually run 8.75 trucks on an 8.5.  These are wider than I’d like.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #26864 on: January 21, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »

Baker 7.825
venture 5.0lo
boardy cake fat bundts 44mm
bronze

went from an 8.5 to this, warming up to try and make 8" my go to size. I gotta say these small boards and venture los are a frikn hoot i tell you what.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #26865 on: January 21, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »

Baker 7.825
venture 5.0lo
bronze

went from an 8.5 to this, warming up to try and make 8" my go to size. I gotta say these small boards and venture los are a frikn hoot i tell you what.

That setup looks incredibly light. Sub 14 wb?

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #26866 on: January 21, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like the 8 flat and the 8.3 flat. For some reason I didn’t like the 8.25, it has a weird pocket of concave up by the front bolts (or just in my head)

What is the wheelbase on the 8” flat?  Thanks!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #26867 on: January 21, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »
Cross post from big boy

Polar bengt alv probability studies
9” x 14.5” x 32.5”
Venture 6.1
54mm oj Keyframe 87a

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #26868 on: January 21, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »

Baker 7.825
venture 5.0lo
bronze

this is making me want to get a skinny board
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #26869 on: January 21, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

swiss bones
bronze
jessup

[close]

Ma
[close]

This board was definitely china made, it was a blank from AWH, pretty sure it was “good wood” but it’s at least 6 months old .

My roomate does screen printing though and got that squeegee . Had to make a custom mount to put the boards on but I think it works pretty well. The first screen we tried was just pushing too much ink thru .

I have a screen printing setup at home with a board jig, I’ve tried a few times but always blurs on the curve. It’s partially cause the screen is to tense but overall I think the curved squeegee would help. Spinning a hundo is what I’m l. Edge for. I wonder if I can’t just DIY it.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #26870 on: January 21, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

swiss bones
bronze
jessup

[close]

Ma
[close]

[close]

I have a screen printing setup at home with a board jig, I’ve tried a few times but always blurs on the curve. It’s partially cause the screen is to tense but overall I think the curved squeegee would help. Spinning a hundo is what I’m l. Edge for. I wonder if I can’t just DIY it.
Stock screens for screen printing are tensionned into the frames for flat surfaces, the further from flat you try to print on, the thougher it is to get a good result. It may not be worth the trouble for an occasional job but, you could DIY a screen with less tension into the frame so when you push it onto the board, it gets the proper tension from the board rather than the frame that holds it. It's kind of trial and error to get it just right though. Or use a huge screen where the board would be far from the frame, but it's not everywhere you can work with that big a setup.

They might sell ready made screens with less tension already for more uneven surfaces but, I learned screen printing from an anti-consumerism old hippie so he showed the DIY option only! ;D

Tomek

« Reply #26871 on: January 21, 2021, 08:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Doa flat 8
Thunder 148
50mm f4 101
Bronze allen
Jessup
Bones big balls

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
What is the wheelbase on the 8” flat?  Thanks!

14.25 I believe

CaderSk8r

« Reply #26872 on: January 21, 2021, 11:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Baker 7.825
venture 5.0lo
bronze

[close]

That setup looks incredibly light. Sub 14 wb?

I think it’s right at 14”

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #26873 on: January 22, 2021, 03:51:22 AM »
Expand Quote

Nice One! Think im going with a eagle next time.

How does the concave tving with the roman Numbers on the top ply work? Also is there a big difference between the steepest & most mellow concave?
[close]

I seem to find the I to IV are not as important as the shape or size of the board, but they do ever so slightly play in to things too.  Example, the 8.38s in general always feel like a much flatter concave than the 8.25 boards, which feel like a taller nose and tail with more rail concave too, when I have put them side by side graphic up the 8.25 sits higher, same when they are face down, the 8.25 rail edge sits higher.

Overall the exact same board in a I and a IV on the rare occasion I have seen them have seemed to have minimal difference, but there was slightly more in the I compared to the IV.

What size board do you usually ride / were thinking of getting?  (I looked over previous posts, 8.25 to 8.5)

Allright sweet! Guess i dont have to think about that one too much then.

I've been looking at the Antihero classic eagle 8.75. Theyre a full-ish shape right?

The 8.25 full w. 14.5wb was really nice but too narrow in transition, 8.5 w. 14.25wb (was 8.38ish when i checked) was also nice but not as stable in transition.

I've been thinking about the orange eagle too but i think 8.75 & 14.6 is enough

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26874 on: January 22, 2021, 05:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nice One! Think im going with a eagle next time.

How does the concave tving with the roman Numbers on the top ply work? Also is there a big difference between the steepest & most mellow concave?
[close]

I seem to find the I to IV are not as important as the shape or size of the board, but they do ever so slightly play in to things too.  Example, the 8.38s in general always feel like a much flatter concave than the 8.25 boards, which feel like a taller nose and tail with more rail concave too, when I have put them side by side graphic up the 8.25 sits higher, same when they are face down, the 8.25 rail edge sits higher.

Overall the exact same board in a I and a IV on the rare occasion I have seen them have seemed to have minimal difference, but there was slightly more in the I compared to the IV.

What size board do you usually ride / were thinking of getting?  (I looked over previous posts, 8.25 to 8.5)
[close]

Allright sweet! Guess i dont have to think about that one too much then.

I've been looking at the Antihero classic eagle 8.75. Theyre a full-ish shape right?

The 8.25 full w. 14.5wb was really nice but too narrow in transition, 8.5 w. 14.25wb (was 8.38ish when i checked) was also nice but not as stable in transition.

I've been thinking about the orange eagle too but i think 8.75 & 14.6 is enough

Orange is huge, 9 x 33 with 15" wheelbase, so unless you are going full metal, I would say the 8.75 is perfect.  There is also the 8.6 just so you know - cream eagle.

In 8.75 there is the white eagle, but also the Real oval logo deck and the Krooked eyes deck, all the same everything.

Talked about them in a couple of other threads too, as well as earlier in this one.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.60
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #26875 on: January 22, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »

did you stack two 35th stickers or is that one?
great idea if so

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #26876 on: January 22, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »

First post after lurking on here for a while...

Polar 8.75 x 32.375, 14.375 inch wheelbase (biggest board I’ve ever skated)

New Venture 6.1 (8.75) hangers combined with my old baseplates, kingpins, and bushings from the Venture 5.8 V Lights I was skating for the past few months. Flat top washer.

Spitfire conical full 52mm 99s (worn down a bit)

Bones hardware

Random Diamond bearings from a couple years ago with the shields popped off

Nike Blazers

Skated it for a bit today - the shape took a little while to get used to after skating Hockey decks for my last few setups but the 8.75 felt sick overall. Super stable for grinds and slides. Not horrible for the few kickflips and fakieflips I tried.

Side note: does anyone else actually like Venture bushings? I’ve skated Ventures for a while now and I’ve thrown in Bones and Indie bushings and just couldn’t get used to them. You do get some bad ones with Venture that crumble and crack way too easily but overall I like the mushy/less responsive feel of Venture bushings.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
« Reply #26877 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »

welcome.  very sick first setup post.  the look of a used white board/white shoes combo is a personal fav.

how soft is the leather on those Blazers? i had a pair of the white leather/gum toe burins and the leather was so amazingly soft it was like skating in a glove.
hardly art, hardly starving

nevrwasben

« Reply #26878 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »

First post after lurking on here for a while...

Polar 8.75 x 32.375, 14.375 inch wheelbase (biggest board I’ve ever skated)

New Venture 6.1 (8.75) hangers combined with my old baseplates, kingpins, and bushings from the Venture 5.8 V Lights I was skating for the past few months. Flat top washer.

Spitfire conical full 52mm 99s (worn down a bit)

Bones hardware

Random Diamond bearings from a couple years ago with the shields popped off

Nike Blazers

Skated it for a bit today - the shape took a little while to get used to after skating Hockey decks for my last few setups but the 8.75 felt sick overall. Super stable for grinds and slides. Not horrible for the few kickflips and fakieflips I tried.

Side note: does anyone else actually like Venture bushings? I’ve skated Ventures for a while now and I’ve thrown in Bones and Indie bushings and just couldn’t get used to them. You do get some bad ones with Venture that crumble and crack way too easily but overall I like the mushy/less responsive feel of Venture bushings.
Those deck dimensions sound dope.
Love how that white graphic/shoe both look skated next to each other, very eye pleasing

CaderSk8r

« Reply #26879 on: January 22, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
did you stack two 35th stickers or is that one?
great idea if so

I did!