Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4806992 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #29520 on: November 02, 2021, 04:24:52 PM »
Recently snugged her up a touch and bye bye ghost pop.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29521 on: November 02, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »
I think you shouldn't be able to infer truck tightness from someone's skating for the most part. If they're flopping all around from being too loose, then it's detracting, but if I don't notice then it's done well.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #29522 on: November 02, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Black Label Reuter egg
Venture 6.1
Spitfire 54mm f4 lock-ins 99a
Bones big balls
Mob
[close]

That looks rad. Yellow plys are sick. What shoes are those? They look comfy.
[close]

I’m really gassed on it. The shoes are kalis vulcs. Surprised how much I actually like them.

Side note, super surprised at how much I like/how much better I skate on slightly tighter non jiggly trucks.
[close]

That set up look so good! Love thy egg.

I think a lot of people should tighten their trucks a bit. No diss to the loose crew though.
[close]

Oh I dunno. The ‘loose crew’ can be a buncha look at me types. I think they like the attention, however they get it.

I mean obviously ride whatever, but for me, tighter is more functional. Which may not be the goal.
[close]

There was a nice young dude at the park affecting some sort of style with super loose trucks the other day, and he couldn't make anything because his shit was rattling loose. I think he was trying for a rollersurfer thing but that dude actually skates his trucks insanely tight.

Wait, really? They didn't look tight to me on the videos I saw.

I know way too many people that skate their trucks waaay too tight. I don't think I could possibly skate anything tighter than medium and still land anything unless I was just doing flatground flip tricks. I spent YEARS skating trucks that were too tight and when I loosened them up it unlocked a lot of shit both for transition and flip tricks

Orangepulp1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #29523 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:54 PM »
Baker 8.25 on mellow concave
5.6 ventures
bones big ball
52mm spitfire og classics

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #29524 on: November 03, 2021, 06:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Black Label Reuter egg
Venture 6.1
Bones big balls
Mob
[close]

[close]

I’m really gassed on it. The shoes are kalis vulcs. Surprised how much I actually like them.

Side note, super surprised at how much I like/how much better I skate on slightly tighter non jiggly trucks.
[close]

I think a lot of people should tighten their trucks a bit. No diss to the loose crew though.
[close]

Oh I dunno. The ‘loose crew’ can be a buncha look at me types. I think they like the attention, however they get it.

I mean obviously ride whatever, but for me, tighter is more functional. Which may not be the goal.
[close]

There was a nice young dude at the park affecting some sort of style with super loose trucks the other day, and he couldn't make anything because his shit was rattling loose. I think he was trying for a rollersurfer thing but that dude actually skates his trucks insanely tight.
[close]

I know way too many people that skate their trucks waaay too tight. I don't think I could possibly skate anything tighter than medium and still land anything unless I was just doing flatground flip tricks. I spent YEARS skating trucks that were too tight and when I loosened them up it unlocked a lot of shit both for transition and flip tricks

I will say I would use them as an excuse and sort of a self esteem booster. Letting someone skate my board who is objectively way better than me say “woooah man I don’t know how you skate like that.” As well as after I don’t land something i would get to say some shit like “ah man I totally would have been able to make that if my trucks were tighter.”

Admittedly, I’m a big dude (250lbs) with a very modest bag of tricks and it made me feel better/less self conscious when I would land something. But after tightening them up a little bit and immediately getting tricks back, it feels really nice.

I didn’t go crazy tight, but my kingpin nut is flush now and not superglued on and I’m not cutting bushings and ditching washers anymore. Don’t think I’ll be going back to jiggly loose again.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #29525 on: November 03, 2021, 08:10:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Black Label Reuter egg
Venture 6.1
Bones big balls
Mob
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I will say I would use them as an excuse and sort of a self esteem booster. Letting someone skate my board who is objectively way better than me say “woooah man I don’t know how you skate like that.” As well as after I don’t land something i would get to say some shit like “ah man I totally would have been able to make that if my trucks were tighter.”

Admittedly, I’m a big dude (250lbs) with a very modest bag of tricks and it made me feel better/less self conscious when I would land something. But after tightening them up a little bit and immediately getting tricks back, it feels really nice.

I didn’t go crazy tight, but my kingpin nut is flush now and not superglued on and I’m not cutting bushings and ditching washers anymore. Don’t think I’ll be going back to jiggly loose again.

Ah, my bad - I was thinking everyone was going crazy tight like the guys I know. What you're at now is about what I stay at, maybe a little looser. I have definitely skated my one friend's crazy loose trucks and found it comically difficult but I also love big wheels so I can't go that loose anyway (ha!)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29526 on: November 03, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »

Polar Hjate 8.5
Indy 149ti (w/cast baseplates, aftermarket indy conical bushings, riptide pivot)
SF F4 56mm conical full 99a
Swiss
hardly art, hardly starving

Fhk

« Reply #29527 on: November 03, 2021, 06:41:33 PM »

Polar Hjate 8.5
Indy 149ti (w/cast baseplates, aftermarket indy conical bushings, riptide pivot)
SF F4 56mm conical full 99a
Swiss
Beauty.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29528 on: November 03, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »
The madness got the better of me and before I could skate this Krooked that I posted the other day, I had to swop the 44s for my Stage 8 146s (with KRUX DL hollow kingpins and 99a conical bushings), the Bones risers for Real wooden universal risers (fit the Indys perfect) and mounted some fresh Conical Full 54mm 97as to it all.

I am now ready for the slippery indoor mini ramp and rugged curb, parking garage winter season.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #29529 on: November 04, 2021, 09:33:44 AM »
The madness got the better of me and before I could skate this Krooked that I posted the other day, I had to swop the 44s for my Stage 8 146s (with KRUX DL hollow kingpins and 99a conical bushings), the Bones risers for Real wooden universal risers (fit the Indys perfect) and mounted some fresh Conical Full 54mm 97as to it all.

I am now ready for the slippery indoor mini ramp and rugged curb, parking garage winter season.

Any reason why you went back to stage 8?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29530 on: November 04, 2021, 09:47:34 AM »
Apart from the slipping axle they just feel and grind great. Plus you can fit and lock the Krux inverted kingpins in without any JB weld/ epoxy. They widen the WB coming from Classic 44s and also there is less wheel bite with the way I have them set up.

My local bike shop gifted them to me so I put them on the occasional set up. I'd love some Stage 7 156s...

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #29531 on: November 04, 2021, 01:28:41 PM »

Venue Shop Deck 9 w/ about 14.9 - 15 WB
ACE Original 66 which hotrods a little bit but not too bad
OJ Keyframe 54mm
REDS big balls
Jessup
Shorty 1"
BONES hardcore medium with the standard ACE pivot cups

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #29532 on: November 04, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
The madness got the better of me and before I could skate this Krooked that I posted the other day, I had to swop the 44s for my Stage 8 146s (with KRUX DL hollow kingpins and 99a conical bushings)

I found with my Stage 8s and Krux DL I would bottom the threaded part of the kingpin out against the baseplate before there was full tension on my bushings, so I ended up running period correct Grind Kings in mine.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #29533 on: November 04, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »

Venue Shop Deck 9 w/ about 14.9 - 15 WB
ACE Original 66 which hotrods a little bit but not too bad
OJ Keyframe 54mm
REDS big balls
Jessup
Shorty 1"
BONES hardcore medium with the standard ACE pivot cups

Fucking big boy damn!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #29534 on: November 04, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »

8.38"x32"x14.375"WB (N:7.1"/T: 6.5") UMA Chapman w/MOB - has a B16 vibe
149 Royal IKP (stock)
52mm Bones STF V5s
Bones Swiss Six (no shieldsssssssss and dry af)
Nuts and Bolts

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #29535 on: November 05, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »

Fucking big boy damn!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm a little older and really only ollie manhole covers, curbs, and other crusty junk...maybe a game of skate when I visit with my nephew. I like these big boards with long wheel bases, they're a little more forgiving for someone not on top of their game.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #29536 on: November 05, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »

8.5 flat
ace 55
bronze allen
1/8 dookie
swiss
classic f4 52ish?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #29537 on: November 05, 2021, 11:23:51 AM »

8.5 flat
ace 55
bronze allen
1/8 dookie
swiss
classic f4 52ish?

yeah that's nice

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #29538 on: November 05, 2021, 11:35:44 AM »

8.5 flat
ace 55
bronze allen
1/8 dookie
swiss
classic f4 52ish?

Me, whenever @smellsdead posts an 8.5" with 55 classics on it:

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #29539 on: November 05, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Me, whenever @smellsdead posts an 8.5" with 55 classics on it:

This straight up made me do a very audible ugly laugh

animalflesh

« Reply #29540 on: November 05, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
Hahahaha ^^^

CODA 9.0 Duncan model (8.8 over trucks and 14.75)
Cast hollow 159 *white front bushings no top washer riptide pivots* (shout out @Macho Taildrop )
Custom Allen key hardware (shout out @Eggie Vedder  )
52 CF 99
Rib Bones
Big Balls
Mob
Concrete dust

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29541 on: November 05, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »
Hahahaha ^^^

CODA 9.0 Duncan model (8.8 over trucks and 14.75)
Cast hollow 159 *white front bushings no top washer riptide pivots* (shout out @Macho Taildrop )
Custom Allen key hardware (shout out @Eggie Vedder  )
52 CF 99
Rib Bones
Big Balls
Mob
Concrete dust
small wheels?
no risers?
is everything okay at home?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

animalflesh

« Reply #29542 on: November 05, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
Hahaha, curb season is coming  8)

Who knows maybe I’ll stay this way

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29543 on: November 05, 2021, 09:43:30 PM »
That Venue board looks really cool

wheee!

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #29544 on: November 06, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
That Venue board looks really cool

X2

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #29545 on: November 06, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »

alltimers will marshall 8.125" 14" WB bbs wood
venture 5.2low from who knows how long ago ?
spitfire 52mm F4 classic 99du
bronze / swiss bones

scored these vintage venture awake 5.2 lows and wanted to try and skate them and since my other 5.2 lows are toasted, thought it was a good time.

I put my bushings from the other trucks in there, with bones bushing washers. and 3 inside wheel washers on each truck ishod style .

by weight these are only 6 grams heavier per truck than the venture 5.2 hollow kingpin lights I just had. curious how they are gonna feel .

just to show you how toasted my other baseplates were.

that front truck, the bolts just could not hold them in place anymore, the metal warped so much . I might try and savor the hangars from the pair and put them on Venture 5.2 Hi hollow baseplates, they seem to be the same

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #29546 on: November 06, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »

bronze / swiss bones

scored these vintage venture awake 5.2 lows and wanted to try and skate them and since my other 5.2 lows are toasted, thought it was a good time.

I put my bushings from the other trucks in there, with bones bushing washers. and 3 inside wheel washers on each truck ishod style .

by weight these are only 6 grams heavier per truck than the venture 5.2 hollow kingpin lights I just had. curious how they are gonna feel .

just to show you how toasted my other baseplates were.

that front truck, the bolts just could not hold them in place anymore, the metal warped so much . I might try and savor the hangars from the pair and put them on Venture 5.2 Hi hollow baseplates, they seem to be the same

This looks hot!
Can I ask what you paid for the older v’s?
Base plates are the same as far as I can tell, so your hangers could get more run on those other base plates.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #29547 on: November 06, 2021, 06:40:56 PM »

bronze / swiss bones

Didn’t know the 8.1 shape had a 14” WB. Do you have the other dimensions? I checked tactics and it seems to be off

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #29548 on: November 06, 2021, 09:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote

bronze / swiss bones

[close]

Didn’t know the 8.1 shape had a 14” WB. Do you have the other dimensions? I checked tactics and it seems to be off

Apologies , just remeasured , measuring from the middle of the bolt to the middle of the other bolt , it’s a tenth less than 14.25” , but if measuring from where the bolt holes start it’s 14”

and I actually just traded a local here some newer independent trucks for the ventures , he was psyched on the trade and just didn’t care that they were old .

I wanna say they are from 96-97?

They skated really nice today was super psyched

PoundPup

• Rep: 4
« Reply #29549 on: November 07, 2021, 04:57:37 PM »

Quasi 9” football
Venture 6.1s w/the wooden risers
56mm 99a conical fulls
Cons slips

Pointy shoes and pointy noseee