Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4808406 times)

chillclinton87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33660 on: June 03, 2023, 02:39:50 AM »

krooked 8.25, 32 lenght with the standard 14.38 wb
thunder team 148 stock
spitfire conical 52 mm, 99 duro- should be a lil smaller by now though
shake junt bolts

some fastbreaks that still have some life in them. skated this setup from the start with the sam narvaez adidas pro model cw but my back and knees couldn't handle them after a while since the sole got too soft too soon. might swith the shoes again since i have some forum mids with lots of life left in em.....

edit: sorry for the huge pic....imgur fucked it uuuup

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #33661 on: June 03, 2023, 04:23:42 AM »

Been a minute since I posted in here.

Polar surf jr shape
Indy titanium 149s
Pig 97a Conicals
Indy black bearings
Jessup

Normally I don't do anything over 8.37 but I wanted to show Radio some love and this seemed interesting. Typically shaped decks aren't in my preferred wb range and are generally just too much board for me so I half expected to hate this setup but the fact this thing is so short and really only wide in one spot makes it really easy to skate. I couldn't figure out what trucks to put on at first because it's like 8.12 at the back truck and 8.6 at the front, but 149s seem to fit pretty nicely. I bet ace 44 classics would work really well too.

This is the second time I've bought a shaped deck on a whim and ended up absolutely loving it. The fact it's so short makes it handle like a skinny deck and I can do all my flip tricks. I was shocked that such a square tail is actually really easy to scoop ..I think my 3 flips are more consistent than with a regular tail somehow. It also feels really easy to wrap, but I don't know if that's because of the tail or length.

I've barely even done a slappy because it's so fun to just cruise and pop little ollies or slide your tail out around corners. I have a doomsayers popsicle that's the same mold and similarly short and love that thing too, but this one skates even better. Fav deck I've skated in a while.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:44:04 AM by Sativa Lung »

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33662 on: June 03, 2023, 04:24:17 AM »
Ramp’s almost done, Birthday is coming up.
It was hard to let the Chico Krooked go, but it was time for a new mini ramp rig.

CK loveseat
Thunder 149s
56mm spit conical full 101
Quantum metallics
Bender Allen
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra
Should be fun…

Ive been wondering what size trucks to run with the loveseat shape...so an 8.5 truck is the best option with the taper of the deck? They dont sit in or our too far when looking down?

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #33663 on: June 03, 2023, 04:46:22 AM »

Polar surf jr shape
Indy titanium 149s
Pig 97a Conicals
Indy black bearings
Jessup

Normally I don't do anything over 8.37 but I wanted to show Radio some love and this seemed interesting. Typically shaped decks aren't in my preferred wb range and are generally just too much board for me so I half expected to hate this setup but the fact this thing is so short and really only wide in one spot makes it really easy to skate. I couldn't figure out what trucks to put on at first because it's like 8.12 at the back truck and 8.6 at the front, but 149s seem to fit pretty nicely. I bet ace 44 classics would work really well too.

This is the second time I've bought a shaped deck on a whim and ended up absolutely loving it. The fact it's so short makes it handle like a skinny deck and I can do all my flip tricks. I was shocked that such a square tail is actually really easy to scoop ..I think my 3 flips are more consistent than with a regular tail somehow. It also feels really easy to wrap, but I don't know if that's because of the tail or length.

I've barely even done a slappy because it's so fun to just cruise and pop little ollies or slide your tail out around corners. I have a doomsayers popsicle that's the same mold and similarly short and love that thing too, but this one skates even better. Fav deck I've skated in a while.

ha!
Thought about the same shape for a while for building my "cruiser hybrid" but went with the 1991 jr. shape then. Still good feedback about how the surf jr. is feeling since i still plan on picking this up sometime in the future.

hope you have hours of fun on this, looking so goody!

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #33664 on: June 03, 2023, 08:37:55 AM »
Expand Quote
It was hard to let the Chico Krooked go, but it was time for a new mini ramp rig.

CK loveseat
Thunder 149s
Quantum metallics
Bender Allen
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra
Should be fun…
[close]

Ive been wondering what size trucks to run with the loveseat shape...so an 8.5 truck is the best option with the taper of the deck? They dont sit in or our too far when looking down?
8.5 trucks work pretty well. The nose tapers to 8.5 right over the front truck and 8.75 right above the back.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #33665 on: June 03, 2023, 05:19:32 PM »

Polar surf jr shape
Indy titanium 149s
Pig 97a Conicals
Indy black bearings
Jessup

this shit looks fun as hell.
i get stoked on the idea of skating a shape, but feel similarly in that they are all too big. my first ‘good’ board was a powell tony hawk, followed quickly by a street cab/mini? the silver one, with bonite. anyways, as such, i’m pulled towards shapes, but then i’m skating some gigantic setup and i’m no chico.
glad to see some smaller shapes popping up. i swear scram had a small punkpoint when they first started…
i get why no one makes small shaped boards, you’d probably sell two. most people don’t even skate 8’s.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33666 on: June 04, 2023, 06:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

CK loveseat
Thunder 149s
Quantum metallics
Bender Allen
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra
Should be fun…
[close]

Sick setup. How do you like thunders? I been thinking of trying them. I heard wheelbite is crazy. Im running 55mm wheels, do you think i need risers?
[close]
I like thunders in general. I usually recommend a riser with any wheels over 54mm (but I like loose trucks and really high setups for ramps / cruisers so I fuck with risers)

Risers always, ha! I really need to try the Loveseat but I have to finish my Couch first.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #33667 on: June 04, 2023, 10:30:41 AM »
Been sitting on this deck for awhile, I decided not to wait on my other board being done and built into an complete

I'll be at Shockus park in an hour and then the 12:40 Curb Club after

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #33668 on: June 04, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »

Living that quiver life:
Curbs/etc (I skate this board the most as of late) - Krooked 9.81, thunder 161, F4 classics 55mm 99a, reds, ace allen 7/8, jessup
Cruise: TU football 9”, ace af1 55 (w/ hard bushings), OJ super juice mini 55mm 78a, reds, hodgepodge of hardware, jessup
Flip tricks, park dorking, trying to street skate: Quasi Barker Acid Ply 2 8.5”, Venture 6.1, F4 full conical 99a, Swiss, thunder 7/8 hardware, jessup

Overall pretty happy with this combo - all subject to mix and match. The Quasi will soon be replaced by a Theories 8.6” - I want to love it but the square shape doesn’t do it for me. I also have a Krooked 8.38” dreamer shape on ice that could likely end up on the af1’s sooner than later (with normal wheels). Someone convince me I don’t need to set up an 8” street board (I really want to).

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33669 on: June 04, 2023, 12:30:24 PM »

First new one since i broke my foot, not counting the 80s setup i made while I couldn’t skate. I gave the 101 board on the left several chances but I could not like it so I just gave up. No stickers on this one but I might write stuff on the grip later.

Krooked Cromer Egg 8.25”
Venture 5.2 lo forged baseplates hollow axles and kingpins
Spit f4 101a lil smokies classic shape they measure about 47mm now
Diamond hardware I think?
Jessup

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
« Reply #33670 on: June 04, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »

Living that quiver life:
Curbs/etc (I skate this board the most as of late) - Krooked 9.81, thunder 161, F4 classics 55mm 99a, reds, ace allen 7/8, jessup
Cruise: TU football 9”, ace af1 55 (w/ hard bushings), OJ super juice mini 55mm 78a, reds, hodgepodge of hardware, jessup
Flip tricks, park dorking, trying to street skate: Quasi Barker Acid Ply 2 8.5”, Venture 6.1, F4 full conical 99a, Swiss, thunder 7/8 hardware, jessup

Overall pretty happy with this combo - all subject to mix and match. The Quasi will soon be replaced by a Theories 8.6” - I want to love it but the square shape doesn’t do it for me. I also have a Krooked 8.38” dreamer shape on ice that could likely end up on the af1’s sooner than later (with normal wheels). Someone convince me I don’t need to set up an 8” street board (I really want to).

161 review?

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #33671 on: June 04, 2023, 03:38:12 PM »
Expand Quote

Living that quiver life:

[close]

161 review?

Honestly the best trucks I’ve ever ridden - I’ve been thinking I could probably skate them on an 8.75-8.8 popsicle and eliminate the need for a dedicated curb setup. The 6.1’s rule too though, the kingpin clearance is unbearable. Trucks.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
« Reply #33672 on: June 04, 2023, 04:12:47 PM »

First new one since i broke my foot, not counting the 80s setup i made while I couldn’t skate. I gave the 101 board on the left several chances but I could not like it so I just gave up. No stickers on this one but I might write stuff on the grip later.

Krooked Cromer Egg 8.25”
Jessup

Sick - how do you like the Cromer egg?  I really enjoyed the one I had.  I’ve seen some on sale online,  I might have to pick up another one.  Wish the wheelbase was 14.25” (that’s my only complaint)…

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #33673 on: June 04, 2023, 07:13:19 PM »

Krooked Cromer Egg 8.25”
Jessup

cromer egg looks good..

coexist3

• Rep: 61
« Reply #33674 on: June 05, 2023, 04:29:40 AM »

sports class 8.0
venture 5.0low
50mm lil smokies

animalflesh

« Reply #33675 on: June 05, 2023, 05:55:16 AM »

Max shape

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #33676 on: June 05, 2023, 06:17:31 AM »

sports class 8.0
venture 5.0low
50mm lil smokies

oh my.
excellent

opened this shit up to come back and look at this specific setup. the 8, with the 5.0 lo’s, the forbidden 14…all of it is great
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:05:58 PM by Ok »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33677 on: June 05, 2023, 07:27:02 AM »

Primitive 8.38" from Mystery Box
Thunder x Christie Pits NYC Team Standard 148
Spitfire F4 99a Classic, 51mm
Primitive Bearings + Hardware

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #33678 on: June 05, 2023, 07:32:48 AM »

Polar Shin 8.125 x 32
Venture 5.2 cast hollow
F4 51mm 99A
Bones Swiss 6
Shortys 7/8" hardware

Got a chance to take it out for maybe 45 minutes of flatground last night.  Feels pretty solid.  Getting used to the steeper concave.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #33679 on: June 05, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
Expand Quote

CK loveseat
Thunder 149s
Quantum metallics
Bender Allen
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra
Should be fun…
[close]

I've run 149s and 159s on a Loveseat, both worked great. The 159 matches the board at its widest points, and feels a little more stable, but the 149s let this board flick really well and to me, that's where this shape shines.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #33680 on: June 05, 2023, 12:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Krooked Cromer Egg 8.25”
Jessup
[close]

Sick - how do you like the Cromer egg?  I really enjoyed the one I had.  I’ve seen some on sale online,  I might have to pick up another one.  Wish the wheelbase was 14.25” (that’s my only complaint)…

I have only skated about an hour or two on it but I like it a lot so far. The wheelbase is a little long for my tastes as well, but it's not a dealbreaker. The shape reminds me a lot of the Blind Tim Gavin Dog Pound reissue but with more concave.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #33681 on: June 05, 2023, 05:35:59 PM »

Here's something a little different to what I would usually be skating - surprise it is not a DLX 8.38, but still pretty much the same everything else that I usually skate, just different sizes.

Grimple Stix BA Guest board 8.75 (standard DLX AH white eagle shape)
Indy 159 Standards, stock everything, nuts flush
Spitfire Formula Four AA 55 mm Conical Full wheels
Bones bearings (cleaned and good again)
Shortys 7/8" phillips bolts
Jessup grip

No risers, no stickers, all put together from swaps and trades with other people, so surprising how fresh it actually is, just new bolts and grip.

Vans Sk8 Mid also second hand from ebay a while back, just the Classic ones, striped out and pro insole upgraded, but so stiff and solid even though the interior is flaking a lot.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #33682 on: June 05, 2023, 07:32:05 PM »

Kudzu Skateboards Mothman (South Central pressed)
 8.125, 14.25 WB
Royal 139 Standards
53mm Leo Baker F4 Radials
Quantum Atoms
Shortys Silverados 1inch Allen

Took this one for a spin tonight. Felt light and crisp definitely enjoyed it a lot. May put on some Venture Lo 5.2s to see how I like em with the 14.25 WB. The Royals are great though and I should use em more.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #33683 on: June 05, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »

Pizza 8.3 egg
Venture hi hollow
Snot 53 x 99
Bones swiss 6 ball
Mob grip

Cesspool86

• Rep: 60
« Reply #33684 on: June 06, 2023, 02:49:11 AM »

sports class 8.0
venture 5.0low
50mm lil smokies

A man after my own heart. I love mostly white graphics

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #33685 on: June 06, 2023, 12:10:46 PM »

Element Jaakko Luna Mirrors 8”
Element x Bob Ross grip
Indy stage 11 139 hollow forged
Venture med bushings
F4 lock ins
Mini logo bearings

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #33686 on: June 06, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »

Element x Bob Ross grip
Venture med bushings
F4 lock ins
Mini logo bearings

is your tail 6.45? looks bigger, i have a element 8 im gonna set up soon and i like the length and nose but im worried its still gonna feel short n stubby.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #33687 on: June 06, 2023, 02:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Element x Bob Ross grip
Venture med bushings
F4 lock ins
Mini logo bearings
[close]

is your tail 6.45? looks bigger, i have a element 8 im gonna set up soon and i like the length and nose but im worried its still gonna feel short n stubby.

It’s actually 6.35. Definitely doesn’t feel stubby to me

Chris

• Rep: 9
« Reply #33688 on: June 07, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »

free secure image hosting

Second Limosine board. Love the feel

Hugo 8.5
Indy 149
Spitfire 54mm F4
Bones Reds
Hardware is a mystery

cute slippers

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #33689 on: June 07, 2023, 02:51:51 PM »
Quasi Henry Game 7 Slick - 8.38
Ace 44 Mag w/Kreper pins and Riptide cups
Spitfire F4 99a Classic Wide 52mm
Rockin' Rons Ceramics
Shake Junt AR Allen 7/8"
Jessup OG
Figgy G6