Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4846361 times)

chillclinton87 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #23610 on: April 14, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »
Anyone ever skate the 8.175 shape from Alien? I emailed them and they told me it’s a symmetrical shape.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #23611 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »

Had this Tershy Couch shape lying around since the Black Friday Crailtap deal and wanted a flat ground set up for Corona Times. Not everyone's idea of a tech setup but it is for me with the sub 14" WB.

151 Thunders, 1/8"  risers, 54mm 101 SF tablets, indy black bearings.

This could go in the Covid set up thread, 9"+ thread or the egg thread but I'll leave it here ha ha...

Looks great! Jealous.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #23612 on: April 14, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Had this Tershy Couch shape lying around since the Black Friday Crailtap deal and wanted a flat ground set up for Corona Times. Not everyone's idea of a tech setup but it is for me with the sub 14" WB.

151 Thunders, 1/8"  risers, 54mm 101 SF tablets, indy black bearings.

This could go in the Covid set up thread, 9"+ thread or the egg thread but I'll leave it here ha ha...
[close]

Looks great! Jealous.

Looks like so much fun. Let us know how the wood holds up and how that short WB feels.

Expand Quote

Finally got around to setting up this gently used DOA from sneaky secrets.
Change in my normal wheelbase but I’m really having a good time on it

8.1 DOA flat
5.6 venture hi’s with super Cush and riptides
53 F4 tablets
Swiss six
Some bohtz! Hardware
[close]

Sick

I wish they made smaller boards. When I think menace tech, I think 7.5 (7.75 is acceptable, although I tend to get real weird w/truck sizes on 7.75).
Anyways, dope setup, dope company

That graphic with the orange/yellow stain under is perfect. I wish I would have gotten some flat 8.1s.

Like BFRD said, they do some sub-8" boards. I would also recommend hitting them up.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #23613 on: April 14, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
With everything going on now, I thought I'd try to help support my locals, and some of my favorite nationally-known shops... 

I thought I would set up something more tech.  Currently running a 8.5 WKND on Venture 6.1's, and wanted to put together another order to do my part.  And that's when I thought it'd be a good idea to DM Professor Schmitt.  You know...  Like a man.

Everything I thought I knew was ruined, but I still find myself questioning his suggestion.  I told him I was 36, 6'3", pretty leggy, and pretty much exclusively skated ledges, manual pads, and flat ground.  I also complimented his shapes and wood.  I figured he probably has a flat rate for when Pro's come to him to work on their own shapes, so getting any kind of answer would be sick.  His suggestion...

15", preferably on an 8.25-8.5.  What in the actual fuck?

This has broken me as a person, as I've landed on 14.25 and "think" I'm happy with it.  The largest I've skated was 14.5 and found scoop-y tricks difficult...

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

I'm lucky to be considered an essential worker right now.  Not because of a steady paycheck, but having structure, thus preventing becoming a full blown alcoholic.

I'm thinking fuck it.  It's probably not the end of the world, but it feels like the end of the world.  The closest shape I landed on was the Quasi 8.625 w/ a 14.75 wheelbase.  I'm rocking Ventures, and think this might be ok, but do any Slap Pals have rec's for a board with a 15" wheelbase under 8.75?

TL;DR: Trying to focus my madness on skateboarding and not obsessing over the news, which is truthful, but terrifying right now.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 160
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #23614 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
The “professor” is on acid right now haven’t you been paying attention

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #23615 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »
With everything going on now, I thought I'd try to help support my locals, and some of my favorite nationally-known shops... 

I thought I would set up something more tech.  Currently running a 8.5 WKND on Venture 6.1's, and wanted to put together another order to do my part.  And that's when I thought it'd be a good idea to DM Professor Schmitt.  You know...  Like a man.

Everything I thought I knew was ruined, but I still find myself questioning his suggestion.  I told him I was 36, 6'3", pretty leggy, and pretty much exclusively skated ledges, manual pads, and flat ground.  I also complimented his shapes and wood.  I figured he probably has a flat rate for when Pro's come to him to work on their own shapes, so getting any kind of answer would be sick.  His suggestion...

This has broken me as a person, as I've landed on 14.25 and "think" I'm happy with it.  The largest I've skated was 14.5 and found scoop-y tricks difficult...

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

I'm lucky to be considered an essential worker right now.  Not because of a steady paycheck, but having structure, thus preventing becoming a full blown alcoholic.

I'm thinking fuck it.  It's probably not the end of the world, but it feels like the end of the world.  The closest shape I landed on was the Quasi 8.625 w/ a 14.75 wheelbase.  I'm rocking Ventures, and think this might be ok, but do any Slap Pals have rec's for a board with a 15" wheelbase under 8.75?

TL;DR: Trying to focus my madness on skateboarding and not obsessing over the news, which is truthful, but terrifying right now.

lol hes trippin, if you struggled with certain things on a 14.5, like a 14.25, there is no way in hell a 15 inch wb will be good for you especially if you skate mostly ledges flat and manuals.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #23616 on: April 14, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

That's completely ridiculous. 15" wheelbase is way too long for most people. I'm 6'4" with a 35-36 inch inseam and I struggle pretty obviously on anything past 14.5". I can't even competently do frontside 180's and that's my forever on lock trick. Flip tricks go right out the window. I really really put in some effort to like a longer wheelbase too. I know people who can skate a real long wheelbase like that but it for sure isn't for everyone. 15 inches is borderline niche and I think the large majority of people out there would skate like shit if they had to ride something that long.

I don't care who this guy is. A recommendation like that immediately discredits him in my eyes. Skateboarding is way too personal to throw out wild recommendations like that. If you like 14.25, stick with it.

If you really want to go for it though, heroin skateboards have long wheelbases.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:46:18 PM by drewsmahgoos »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23617 on: April 14, 2020, 03:49:09 PM »
like sure on paper a taller person should skate a slightly longer wheelbase in general for the same effect but just scaling up your recommendations linearly with height or whatever hes doing is a giant oversimplification. Are there any pros that tall, skate ledges n stuff, that skate a wheelbase even close to 15 inch? I'm 6 5, 34-35 inseam and seem to have found my sweet spot on 14.25-38 on Ventures with forged plates.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #23618 on: April 14, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

[close]

lol hes trippin, if you struggled with certain things on a 14.5, like a 14.25, there is no way in hell a 15 inch wb will be good for you especially if you skate mostly ledges flat and manuals.
Yep..
Not knocking him for his age, but how old is the Prof? Think he's ever done a 3flip? Tbh a kickflip sounds like a tall order. Ollie up a curb? Maybe?..
All his generic suggestions seem to skew towards vertdawg setups with too much wb for flip tricks. But when he pro-tunes it seems like the results for most street skaters are 13.75-14.25" wb. Idk why he doesn't revise his suggestions, especially after what he said on 9club about dimensions getting shorter..

8.5 w/ 14.25" wb seems like an ok size for you. And you know you don't like longer wb.. I'd say stick with it and take what the Prof says with a grain of salt.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23619 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »
yeah id say if anything you could just scale down your current setup - 8.25/8.38 with Venture 5.8s... keep the same wb and length if its comfortable or maybe go down a tiny bit if you want

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #23620 on: April 14, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »

Quasi BOB 8.25 x 14.25
Thunder Lights 149 w/ bones mediums
Radial Slim 53
Swiss6
Mob
AVEs from the big V's outlet, which I'm really enjoying
Was skating a JJ 8.38 Quasi before this that didn't have the big square nose and tail and this feels so much better. Tail feels short though. Bummed there's not dyed bottom ply but that's a weird personal thing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #23621 on: April 14, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »
like sure on paper a taller person should skate a slightly longer wheelbase in general for the same effect but just scaling up your recommendations linearly with height or whatever hes doing is a giant oversimplification. Are there any pros that tall, skate ledges n stuff, that skate a wheelbase even close to 15 inch? I'm 6 5, 34-35 inseam and seem to have found my sweet spot on 14.25-38 on Ventures with forged plates.

The closest pro I can think of is BA (6'4") and he usually runs the cream eagle (14.75" WB) with Aces, which shorten it up a bit anyway.

I'm just under 6'3" and have been over 6" since I was 13 (the entire time I've been skating). I used to jump down and off of shit with 14" WB 7.5"-7.88". Now I skate a 14.25" WB but I'll go up or down a little if I like the shape and concave. I agree with tzhangdox that it is a pretty big oversimplification on the professors part.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #23622 on: April 14, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »

Looks like so much fun. Let us know how the wood holds up and how that short WB feels.

Well I got  flatground session on it today. I landed more flip tricks today than I have all year thanks to the 13 7/8" wheelbase. Wheelbase does feel tiny though. I usually float between 14.25 and 14.75". I can't imagine riding a bigger bowl on it. And cam't image riding anything but Thunders on it.  Concave is a little steeper than I'd like but the wood feels really nice and poppy, great stiffness to flex ratio... We will see how long it lasts.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #23623 on: April 14, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The closest pro I can think of is BA (6'4") and he usually runs the cream eagle (14.75" WB) with Aces, which shorten it up a bit anyway.

I'm just under 6'3" and have been over 6" since I was 13 (the entire time I've been skating). I used to jump down and off of shit with 14" WB 7.5"-7.88". Now I skate a 14.25" WB but I'll go up or down a little if I like the shape and concave. I agree with tzhangdox that it is a pretty big oversimplification on the professors part.

willis Kimbel skates a 9x33 with a 15 wb. I know he leans more towards the transition stereotype creature guy, but he does skate some rails fwiw

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23624 on: April 14, 2020, 08:45:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well I got  flatground session on it today. I landed more flip tricks today than I have all year thanks to the 13 7/8" wheelbase. Wheelbase does feel tiny though. I usually float between 14.25 and 14.75". I can't imagine riding a bigger bowl on it. And cam't image riding anything but Thunders on it.  Concave is a little steeper than I'd like but the wood feels really nice and poppy, great stiffness to flex ratio... We will see how long it lasts.

Sick! Sounds like a really fun setup

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23625 on: April 14, 2020, 09:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

willis Kimbel skates a 9x33 with a 15 wb. I know he leans more towards the transition stereotype creature guy, but he does skate some rails fwiw

Rails would definitely be better with a wider wheelbase. I skated a 14.75 once, it was pretty brutal, felt grounded and probably would be good for tranny or gnarly shit... but getting tech on it or just being able to flip it casually was a giant pain. If I had to, I could skate it... but if you're keeping it mellow I definitely think that something more moderate will go a long way.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23626 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

Damn. Great post.
Lots of really excellent responses to you already.
Just wanted to say I hear you: sometimes when shit is too hectic I just want to get one thing right: pants, board/set up, socks, fucking anything.
I also romanticize experts. I like people, and I like the notion of people having a niche, a calling, a position. One of my favorite shops I’ve ever been to is 35th ave, been there less than a handful of times, every time I got thoughtful setup/product advice.

I’ve read a smattering of the professors comments on setups and sizing....it doesn’t sound like hard science, and that’s ok. His advice truthfully reminds me of some old guy bicycle advice (very similar results in the end result of advice given, but it’s a long explanation, basically ride bigger for more comfy). Maybe he’s giving you advice based off of what he’d ride (you are both tall). There is some logic behind scaling the sizing.....and yet I learned kickflips when I was 5 ft tall on a 9”+ board, 15” wb (guessing), with 9” trucks. I think o skate best on 7.9 boards with 14” wb, and 8” trucks.

Everything I think I learn, can be disregarded, at a later date. I mostly think it’s  about wb, and length, but I have ridden boards that work pretty well for my limited bag of flip tricks that have 14.75 wb (I’m 5’8”). These experiences lead me to believe there is some other factor(s): dunno what but my idea is that there is some leverage/weighting sci-voodoo that I haven’t clocked.

I’ve really tried a bunch of equipment, but frantically without reason, predictable results: I’ve got stuff, and no answers, and I’m not any closer to knowing what’s best for me, and it’s just more time wasted NOT actually being outside. Can be fun. You sound like you are looking for peace though.

I’ve tried the different trucks for different decks game and that was kinda shitty, for me.

If you can keep your existing trucks and try and longer wb board (that long wb jj shape) might be dope.

The more I skate, the less I trip on gear.

Hope it all gets easier

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23627 on: April 15, 2020, 05:45:35 AM »

But, he's Paul Schmitt. 

If you really want to give it a shot, here's a Bacon that's 8.5" x 32.75" with a 15" WB. Just a fair warning, if you're skating ledges and manual pads and flat ground, this is going to be a beast to get used to.

https://www.tactics.com/bacon/classic-font-85-skateboard-deck

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #23628 on: April 15, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »
antihero gerwer 8.25 x 32 14.38wb
ace 44s
worn down conical fulls (were 54mm, are ~45mm)
whatever bearings and hardware
vans sport

edit: i measured the wheels and the smallest one is 42mm, the biggest one is 44, the other two are 43. these are about a year old, i skate pretty much every day.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:18:42 AM by roba »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23629 on: April 15, 2020, 08:21:27 AM »
ace 44s
vans sport

holy fuck. what are those wheels like at this stage :o
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23630 on: April 15, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »
ace 44s
vans sport

I’d love to see a side view of those wheels

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #23631 on: April 15, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Expand Quote
ace 44s
vans sport

[close]

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #23632 on: April 15, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Some really good advice to consider...

Think I'm going to end up with a smaller version of my current setup.  It's a fun exercise to think of pros and cons of different gear, but also ends up being a huge distraction from the act of skateboarding.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #23633 on: April 15, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ace 44s
vans sport

[close]

[close]

and they still feel decent enough to keep skating them

Juanjo789

« Reply #23634 on: April 15, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »

PSTIX 8.5/14.75/32
ACE 44
SPITFIRE CONICAL FULL
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:05:43 PM by Juanjo789 »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #23635 on: April 15, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ace 44s
vans sport

[close]

[close]
[close]

Fuck yeah. I had some 58 classics I wore down to about about 49... just felt great the whole journey. I wish you many more miles of joy out of those.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #23636 on: April 15, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »

PSTIX 8.5/14.75/32
ACE 44
SPITFIRE CONICAL FULL

This was aggressive. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23637 on: April 16, 2020, 03:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ace 44s
vans sport

[close]

[close]
[close]

May I ask how long it took you to get to this stage of wheels? How often do you use your board for transportation? What are the streets like in your area? Feel free to answer all, some, or none of the questions.

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23638 on: April 16, 2020, 04:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ace 44s
vans sport

[close]

[close]
[close]

That’s cool, conical is undeniably the most aesthetically pleasing wheel shape. Does it still do ok on rougher stuff due to the huge contact patch?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #23639 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
Anti Hero Brown Bomber 8.86/14.25 wb/32
Indy Stage 11 159 Hollows
Spitfire Radials 54mm
Modus 7 Bearings
Shake Junt bolts
Jessup Grip

First little session today on the brown bomber. It is the biggest setup I ever owned. I wear a 7.5 and didn't expect too much from that board. But man the pop is explosive and I could do all my usual flips on it. Now I question myself why I always rode 8.125 decks?!

Top view. I think the 159s fit really good.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:51:58 AM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace