Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4810227 times)

Reese Bruno and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #23760 on: April 27, 2020, 07:45:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Giving ACE their 5th/6th chance. Bought them Saturday and tossed them on a board I was already riding.

Quasi Davis 8.25
ACE 44 Shelby
Spitfire Tablets 54mm 101d
RocknRon's Bearings (for science)
Diamond 7/8
MOB
[close]

What do you normally like/not like about ACE?
I’m going to go covid cruise the neighborhood on my 44s. I liked 33s, loved the way they look. 44s are the size where I start losing tricks. Because I’m a baby. But not a baby with their life ahead of them. I feel like o get less pop with ACE. Love the turn.
[close]

I absolutely love the way they look, I like the way they grind. I had a set years ago, probably 1st gen's, that I beat the shit out of and performed well for me until the axle bent. Had those replaced, but while I was waiting for the new set I was skating thunders, new set came and I had already adjusted to thunders and the ACE felt like too much of a learning curve to go back to so I stayed on thunder for years and then to Venture once they came out with the 5.8.

The dislikes with ACE - Ghost pop, the sound (makes my setup sound hollow, soggy, just not crispy), I don't think they work with the Quasi shape I enjoy and since I have about 9 in my stockpile to burn through I'm stuck in a cycle, I don't like how much attention/maintenance they require (base plate hole blow out, loose kingpins, still not confident they fixed the bending axles, bushings, pivot cups)

With thunder and venture I would toss in Bones medium bushings and skate them into the ground. The only thing I would have to do was re thread the axles every other set of wheels or so.

Figured I would give them another go since I haven't skated since the first week of March or so, not as much muscle memory focused on the trucks functioning.

Coming back to skating after some time off and trying different tricks, using different set ups, has helped me in the past. Something that was stuck just works. Short lived tho.
The dead sound is absolutely fucked and weirds me out. It’s even worse than the feel of forged to cast (I like light things, I hate the sound/feel/everything of forged plates).
I should use ACE 55s on a cruiser: tighten up the wb, turn good. I want one thing that works for all things.
Hope they work out for you
(Venture still the best)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #23761 on: April 27, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Giving ACE their 5th/6th chance. Bought them Saturday and tossed them on a board I was already riding.

Quasi Davis 8.25
ACE 44 Shelby
Diamond 7/8
MOB
[close]

I’m going to go covid cruise the neighborhood on my 44s. I liked 33s, loved the way they look. 44s are the size where I start losing tricks. Because I’m a baby. But not a baby with their life ahead of them. I feel like o get less pop with ACE. Love the turn.
[close]

I absolutely love the way they look, I like the way they grind. I had a set years ago, probably 1st gen's, that I beat the shit out of and performed well for me until the axle bent. Had those replaced, but while I was waiting for the new set I was skating thunders, new set came and I had already adjusted to thunders and the ACE felt like too much of a learning curve to go back to so I stayed on thunder for years and then to Venture once they came out with the 5.8.

The dislikes with ACE - Ghost pop, the sound (makes my setup sound hollow, soggy, just not crispy), I don't think they work with the Quasi shape I enjoy and since I have about 9 in my stockpile to burn through I'm stuck in a cycle, I don't like how much attention/maintenance they require (base plate hole blow out, loose kingpins, still not confident they fixed the bending axles, bushings, pivot cups)

With thunder and venture I would toss in Bones medium bushings and skate them into the ground. The only thing I would have to do was re thread the axles every other set of wheels or so.

Figured I would give them another go since I haven't skated since the first week of March or so, not as much muscle memory focused on the trucks functioning.
[close]

Coming back to skating after some time off and trying different tricks, using different set ups, has helped me in the past. Something that was stuck just works. Short lived tho.
The dead sound is absolutely fucked and weirds me out. It’s even worse than the feel of forged to cast (I like light things, I hate the sound/feel/everything of forged plates).
I should use ACE 55s on a cruiser: tighten up the wb, turn good. I want one thing that works for all things.
Hope they work out for you
(Venture still the best)

Thanks, we'll see how it goes looks like the rain is clearing out so it might be dry by the time I get home so I can roll around the neighborhood and do a few tricks. Maybe pull the box out of the garage
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Italianshredder96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #23762 on: April 27, 2020, 04:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Quasi Davis 8.25
ACE 44 Shelby
Diamond 7/8
MOB
[close]

When I started using aces i lost sooo many tricks.Hefty, heavy, slow and I never found the right thigtness. I've problems with my ankles, it's difficult to just pop an Ollie with aces...I'm just so used to thunders, I would never switch back. Light, quick, light and light with the right thigtness.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #23763 on: April 27, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
2nd session down on this thing. It's been an adjustment (coming from a winkowski) but I'm feeling comfortable.

Milton Creature - 9 Wide/ 32.6 Long/ 14.25 Wheelbase
52mm OJ Keyframes
Ace 55
Rusty Big Balls
Bones Rib Rails

It has a very miniature punk point that's seemingly impossible to catch on camera.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:03:33 PM by Seadramon »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #23764 on: April 27, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Top pic for those asking about the 8.5 Eagle shape. I have never skated a board that feels more natural, first time I’ve set something up and not had to think about it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:01:18 PM by texasplant »

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23765 on: April 27, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
your grip job is giving me anxiety

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #23766 on: April 27, 2020, 08:28:33 PM »
It’s a transition skater thing so you don’t get grip-thumb grabbing the nose
fuck you bama

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #23767 on: April 27, 2020, 08:51:45 PM »
@Seadramon love that Milton. It looks like fun.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #23768 on: April 27, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^ I feel for your thumbs my guy

JB77

« Reply #23769 on: April 28, 2020, 02:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We used to do that with our grip tape in the early 90's because Ed Templeton did it.  It was a street skate thing for us, not a vert thing.  Some people call it "the missing inch".  We did it so our foot wouldn't catch on the nose when we did Ollie Norths, or one-footed ollies as they're sometimes called.

EDIT: found a pic...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:55:38 AM by JB77 »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23770 on: April 28, 2020, 07:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

We used to do that with our grip tape in the early 90's because Ed Templeton did it.  It was a street skate thing for us, not a vert thing.  Some people call it "the missing inch".  We did it so our foot wouldn't catch on the nose when we did Ollie Norths, or one-footed ollies as they're sometimes called.

this is def the origin, not some vert thumb thing (which isn't even a thing that's exclusive to transition skaters)

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #23771 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

Theories 8.25
Thunder 149s
Spitfire BDK Conical Full
Bones Big Balls

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #23772 on: April 28, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
Anyone ride Ventures on decks with steep kicks? Currently running 5.8 stock with the bones top washer on a 8.25 FA deck. I get a little bit of ghost pop on some nollie tricks, but overall they feel fine (maybe its requires more effort to get good pop, but I'm sure that is just a muscle memory issue). Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this bc generally I hear Ventures work best on decks with mellow kicks (my last 2 decks were primitive). Should I just throw my Ace 44's on the FA?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #23773 on: April 28, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
this is def the origin, not some vert thumb thing (which isn't even a thing that's exclusive to transition skaters)
I’ve heard that it was very handy for those old skool impossibles as well, those where you have your front foot on very tip of nose. My friend still does em like that 😁
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #23774 on: April 28, 2020, 02:44:02 PM »
Anyone ride Ventures on decks with steep kicks? Currently running 5.8 stock with the bones top washer on a 8.25 FA deck. I get a little bit of ghost pop on some nollie tricks, but overall they feel fine (maybe its requires more effort to get good pop, but I'm sure that is just a muscle memory issue). Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this bc generally I hear Ventures work best on decks with mellow kicks (my last 2 decks were primitive). Should I just throw my Ace 44's on the FA?

I haven't skated the new Ventures, but my experience with Thunders vs. Indys on steeper decks supports your thinking.  I suspect the effect would be even more pronounced on Ventures, which push the wheelbase even further out than Thunders.  If you do throw on Ace 44's report back with your impressions. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23775 on: April 28, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »

Theories 8.25
Thunder 149s
Bones Big Balls

It could use a few more stickers.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #23776 on: April 28, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
I’ve heard that it was very handy for those old skool impossibles as well, those where you have your front foot on very tip of nose. My friend still does em like that 😁

May try this on my next board
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #23777 on: April 28, 2020, 07:59:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Theories 8.25
Thunder 149s
Bones Big Balls
[close]

It could use a few more stickers.

he either hates theories or loves theotis
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #23778 on: April 29, 2020, 01:09:03 AM »
That sticker job is worth a box

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #23779 on: April 29, 2020, 02:51:22 AM »
I plan on buying a couple of Ben Degros' blanks and using up some more stickers I have laying around. Might go all out and screen print my own graphics on them but not sure yet.

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #23780 on: April 29, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »

Polar Dane Brady football shape 8.75
Independent 149 raw
Taste wheels 52mm slim profile
Pusher bearings Ceramics
Ashes griptape

new balance tom knox

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23781 on: April 29, 2020, 06:02:06 AM »

Labor shop deck 8.75 (not sure of the woodshop, either southcentral or clutch? it had a tiny round sticker with the size between the top truck holes, same as a Roger I just picked up also)
Ace 55s with bones soft bushings and newly replaced Riptide cups
Spitfire F4 classics 50mm
Bones Reds big balls
Heroin useless rail sticker

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #23782 on: April 29, 2020, 06:55:43 AM »

Labor shop deck 8.75 (not sure of the woodshop, either southcentral or clutch? it had a tiny round sticker with the size between the top truck holes, same as a Roger I just picked up also)
Bones Reds big balls

55s with 50s always look so good.

animalflesh

« Reply #23783 on: April 29, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »
Last two set ups are A+

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23784 on: April 29, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »
Expand Quote

Bones Reds big balls
[close]

Do you do toe or heel side with the one rail set up? I've asked before and they said toe but I was wondering if that was a universal thing.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #23785 on: April 29, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds big balls
[close]

[close]
Do you do toe or heel side with the one rail set up? I've asked before and they said toe but I was wondering if that was a universal thing.

That’s not a rail it’s just a sticker!

But yes I think most people do toe side with one rail

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23786 on: April 29, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds big balls
[close]

[close]
it's a sticker, so it's purely aesthetic.  Nonfunctional, might even slow down the slides.  But the times that I have used a legit single rail, it was always toe side.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #23787 on: April 29, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
That's a fucking great sticker

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #23788 on: April 29, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »

Primitive Wade D. 8.5" (Black Friday Primitive Mystery Box)
Primitive Grip (prefer mob, but it's still decent)
Indy Trucks Stage 11 149 (Hollow Kingpin w/ a standard baseplate and hangar. I wanted less weight but not lose any height)
Bones STF V4 Wides 54MM (99A)
Bones Reds bearings
Indy hardware 7/8"
Etnies Marana Michelin - Burgundy/Gum (11.5)

Already had 1 flatground/curb session on it and it feels so good. Responsive, flips well, and feels stable.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #23789 on: April 29, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
Reds stickers on boards always kills me