Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786885 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27210 on: February 21, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »

These Krookeds could be older than I initially thought. First one skated so well but delaminated.

Another 8.18 with all the same stuff as before.

If they have a natural bottom layer, they are pre 2008 or so.  That is when I recall boards from DLX started to get a different coloured layup for ply, pre 2008 it was top, second top and second bottom coloured, or some had top and middle only.  After that they went to top, second top and bottom, some second bottom too.

Old boards can be so hit or miss, depending on how they were stored.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fhk

« Reply #27211 on: February 21, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

Fancy Lad 8.5 14.25wb
Venture 6.1 with thunder 97a bushings.
Spitfire F4 tablets 52mm 101a
Bronson raws
Mob grip

My madness has been wild lately.  I skated that girl popsecret deck with the Ace55s, then some 159s, then these ventures, then bought this deck to work better with the ventures... then lost my mind and tried it with thunder 149s

Out of all of that craziness... I like this the best.  The deck is from clutch and it’s held up for 2 weeks so far. As much as I think I need a smaller better to flip setup, I do my best work with 8.75 trucks and 8.5 decks.

The Girl pop secret is a good deck, it just doesn’t feel alive. Feels like it’s made of plastic or something.  Holler at me if you want some aces or thunders lol
Hi Niceblackman very nice setup! You may know already, and idk if you want to keep your "alter ego".. if not you can get a name change from the admin and just run with the other account.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #27212 on: February 21, 2021, 04:59:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hockey 8.75 x 32.60 (14.5 wheelbase)
Spitfire Formula Four OG Classics 52 mm
-both lightly skated with my old Ventures

Ace 55s
Bronson Raw bearings
Mob grip
Random Bones hardware
Not pictured - 2nd pair in a row of all white leather Blazers

Not a huge fan of the graphic but I wanted to try one of Hockey’s 8.75s now that they’re making them. First time skating Aces (after a few pairs of Ventures in a row) which might be a rough transition but I’m thinking they’ll pair nicely with the 14.5 wheelbase.  Also stoked that the OG classics are now in F4.

I have an 8.5 Hockey deck lined up for after this.  Has anyone skated 9 inch Aces on an 8.5 before? I’ve never gone a full half inch difference between my deck and trucks before...
[close]
You better put some 5.8s on that 8.5.
[close]

I've skated 55s on 8.5 (including Hockey 8.5) on 6 or 7 different setups and loved it every time. Flip tricks and everything worked great still. Honestly amazing setup all around for me

Also, super curious to hear about how that 8.75 Hockey skates, was stoked to see that and the 9. Too bad the 9's wheelbase is a mile long

Update: the 8.75 Hockey is great. Skated it for a couple hours on the Ace 55s today.  Definitely has more concave than the Polar I had before it so the flick on kickflips felt really natural - even with the 9 inch trucks.  Whatever dimensions the nose is felt great for nollie tricks.  I was able to relearn nollie 5-0s for the first time in a while and they were easy to pop.  The Aces feel a lot clunkier and less snappy popping ollies than the Ventures I had on it at first, but it still had great pop with the shortened wheelbase.  Great shape overall.  Very Hockeyish. 

I was surprised how stiff the Aces are though. I never tighten or loosen my trucks (I keep the nut flush with the kingpin) and they aren’t feeling carvy yet.  I’m assuming they’re the opposite breaking in than Venture/Thunder from what I read where they loosen up over time instead of tightening up... 

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #27213 on: February 21, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »
Ace bushings take forever to break in, but they feel amazing after you've got some hours on them. Your patience will be rewarded.

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #27214 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »
Was going to put this on the wall but I made a curb/beer run board. Planning to add OJ rails eventually.

Natas Black Prismatic 10.3
Indy 169
OJ Keyframe 56mm
Bronson Raws
Mob black/clear

Perfect!

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #27215 on: February 21, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Was going to put this on the wall but I made a curb/beer run board. Planning to add OJ rails eventually.

Indy 169
OJ Keyframe 56mm
Bronson Raws
Mob black/clear
[close]

Perfect!
for me, perfect would have 215s, not 169s. ive done 10 inch boards with 169s and they feel like they want to unintentionally roll over.  215s feel way more planted and sturdy but im running 62mm wheels and risers so that might play a factor. no risers work on my 8.375 with 56mm

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27216 on: February 21, 2021, 10:56:08 PM »
Got some wheels and set up a freshie with parts from my stash. It's still too snowy for me to want to ride it, so I'm breaking in the bushing by just rocking back and forth on the carpet like psycho.

I'm also pleased to announce that I have reached a new low in grip jobs. When I got this deck I got the end of the roll, so I was working with like a 3/4 sheet and a 1/4 sheet of 6 month old mob. Parental discretion is advised.

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Disclaimer: this grip job is not endorsed by and does not reflect the values of crushed skateshop or spitfire wheels

If you pay for shipping, I'll send you a sheet of mob bruv. Shit, I'll pay for shipping.

I can't talk, I always butcher my grip jobs.

Seriously tho, I have a weird thing against mob. Will send it to you if you want bruv. Nice setup either way
The chillest1

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27217 on: February 22, 2021, 06:30:20 AM »
The adhesive on Mob is pretty bad, even if you do the most perfect pristine grip job it can still lift up in the area between bolts, etc and creates bubbles anyway. The perforation is just a gimmick.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9958
« Reply #27218 on: February 22, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
If you pre sink the hardware aka set up the trucks before you grip then take them off, there is minimal grip warpage around the bolts when you set up the board.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:24:32 PM by GoneWithTheSchwinn »

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27219 on: February 22, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 169
OJ Keyframe 56mm
Bronson Raws
Mob black/clear
[close]

Perfect!
[close]
for me, perfect would have 215s, not 169s. ive done 10 inch boards with 169s and they feel like they want to unintentionally roll over.  215s feel way more planted and sturdy but im running 62mm wheels and risers so that might play a factor. no risers work on my 8.375 with 56mm

I think the 169s look good on that with modern wheels. I'd personally go 159, with 80s style wider wheels. That's how we rode them originally. I have 159s on a 10" Tom Know with 60mm bullet wheels. its great. 215s would be overkill IMO.

Oh and get some rails on that thing before you board slide.... I suppose fire hydrant spins will destroy the graphic anyway....

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #27220 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 169
OJ Keyframe 56mm
Bronson Raws
Mob black/clear
[close]

Perfect!
[close]
[close]

I think the 169s look good on that with modern wheels. I'd personally go 159, with 80s style wider wheels. That's how we rode them originally. I have 159s on a 10" Tom Know with 60mm bullet wheels. its great. 215s would be overkill IMO.

Oh and get some rails on that thing before you board slide.... I suppose fire hydrant spins will destroy the graphic anyway....

I have OJ rails in hand. I just don't have the power screwdriver to get them in. Might take it to my local shop to do it for me.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27221 on: February 22, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
I've always just hand-screwed those suckers in.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27222 on: February 22, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »
If you pre sink the hardware aka set up the trucks before you grip then take them off, there is minimal grip warpage around the bolts when you set up the bird.
G'nard. Ive only had this problem recently from two boards that were already gripped (they were on clearance because they were returns from online orders). Gonna start doing this regardless tho

I think I'm just a jessup guy either way. The regular stuff. The extra grit is too much.
The chillest1

michael scarn

« Reply #27223 on: February 22, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »
I just got a new complete the other day. I sized it down from an 8.25 with venture 5.6 lights to an 8.125 baker (mellow concave) with thunder 145 hollows. Didn't intend to get the hollows, but that's what the shop had. So far I'm diggin it. I took it out for a no pop slappy sesh last night and i felt comfortable within 10ish minutes. I just love how thunders feel and turn. Also, never had f4 classics before but i like em. I was always getting the conical fulls which are good too, but, again, i just got what the shop had. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #27224 on: February 22, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »

- SC McCoy VX 8.25x31.8x14.18WB, 7"N, 6.6352645726354176234" whateverthefuck tail, some grip, can't recall
- Mix of bolts
- Venture 5.6ti w/ACE reg bottoms, low tops, sleeved flat washers, low profile ti nut = so much clearance

- Bones V3s 103a about 51mm or so (need to swap out for the 99s, shit was rough today)
- Spitfire Classics bearings (only bearings I have with shields that still spin and I was skating the beach/natas curbs all weekend (sandy) - someone recently bondo-taped them, so rad.

The Ventures with this WB and long steep kicks felt super good poppy/light.
This bushing setup is perfectly swervey VS. twitchy/turney (first real curb grinding session as I've only been skating flat/flat bars) and was just fine for getting into slappies, etc..

I swear it's the best combo and I've tried BONEs (soft/med and dual duro'ing them), stock, indy barrel/conical aftermarket, thunder, Krux (top Krux is nice and low tho) and bait and tackle...the ACE high bottom and low top is hands down the best for me...again they get a really fast surfy but swerve-y feel to them..nice and responsive.

The only neg isn't really one, but once you get used to Tensor maglights and their grind, grinding with any other truck take twice the effort and you still can't the same length or speed...my feebles and smiths were seriously hurting today, but they were happening. Can't beat the low height and pop of ventures with small wheels...might have to drop down to 50s on the tensors for slappy sessions.

V3s totally give off the prime-time V nostalgia vibe:

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #27225 on: February 22, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »

- SC McCoy VX 8.25x31.8x14.18WB, 7"N, 6.6352645726354176234" whateverthefuck tail, some grip, can't recall
- Mix of bolts
- Venture 5.6ti w/ACE reg bottoms, low tops, sleeved flat washers, low profile ti nut = so much clearance

- Bones V3s 103a about 51mm or so (need to swap out for the 99s, shit was rough today)
- Spitfire Classics bearings (only bearings I have with shields that still spin and I was skating the beach/natas curbs all weekend (sandy) - someone recently bondo-taped them, so rad.

The Ventures with this WB and long steep kicks felt super good poppy/light.
This bushing setup is perfectly swervey VS. twitchy/turney (first real curb grinding session as I've only been skating flat/flat bars) and was just fine for getting into slappies, etc..

I swear it's the best combo and I've tried BONEs (soft/med and dual duro'ing them), stock, indy barrel/conical aftermarket, thunder, Krux (top Krux is nice and low tho) and bait and tackle...the ACE high bottom and low top is hands down the best for me...again they get a really fast surfy but swerve-y feel to them..nice and responsive.

The only neg isn't really one, but once you get used to Tensor maglights and their grind, grinding with any other truck take twice the effort and you still can't the same length or speed...my feebles and smiths were seriously hurting today, but they were happening. Can't beat the low height and pop of ventures with small wheels...might have to drop down to 50s on the tensors for slappy sessions.

V3s totally give off the prime-time V nostalgia vibe:

I’ve always thought the steep kicks on DSM decks and ventures would feel awful, but now I want to try it out. I would instinctively setup indys or aces. Might have to try it out!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27226 on: February 22, 2021, 01:40:12 PM »
^^ I thought so too (I brought a backup setup just in case this was trash)...but I like venture pop and like steep kicks and I also like lower trucks and small wheels. I think if I was on a mellow kick board with this I’d probably struggle being that low, with the steep kicks I still have tail leverage but the ride feels low.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #27227 on: February 22, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

My dumbass left my board in my friend's car who lives an hour and a half away, so I've been without a board for the last few weeks. I finally caved and set up this new Polar I was saving (bought it when boards were in short supply due to COVID) and some other spare parts I had around. It's my first egg shape and I'm a huge fan after my first session. The nose and tail are almost the same size, which I've always liked.

Polar 8.75 Dane Brady egg
Thunder 151s
Spitfire F4 54mm conical fulls, 101d
Spitfire Cheapshots (I think?)

I'll probably keep the board and the wheels and switch out the trucks and bearings when I get my old board back lol

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27228 on: February 22, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
^^ I thought so too (I brought a backup setup just in case this was trash)...but I like venture pop and like steep kicks and I also like lower trucks and small wheels. I think if I was on a mellow kick board with this I’d probably struggle being that low, with the steep kicks I still have tail leverage but the ride feels low.

The raw Venture Ti's look good, I only have the 5.8 P-Rod gold / silver ones. Would love to ride the 5.6 Ti, my go to is the 148 Titanium and 5.6 V-Hollows still feel clunky for me, think the titanium variant would be the ticket.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27229 on: February 22, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The raw Venture Ti's look good, I only have the 5.8 P-Rod gold / silver ones. Would love to ride the 5.6 Ti, my go to is the 148 Titanium and 5.6 V-Hollows still feel clunky for me, think the titanium variant would be the ticket.
fuck this got my brain running.

sitting out for a few weeks due to rehabbing a hyperextend knee, considering a lighter 5.6 model for when i get back on board. worried about the counterbalance but maybe with super steep kicks+14" wb the board will stick to me better.....any truth behind that?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #27230 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Label Kills! Bought this Black Label a little while ago and after some madness of an 8.5 Real FULL SE with a tail that was not tall/long enough and an 8.375 $lave (was warped and I didn't know until trucks were on it) that felt too short... I finally got back to homeostasis with my skateboard...  ;D

I am finally confident my ideal specs for width/length/WB are:
8.5" (an occasional 8.6 or 8.4 that have similar measurements elsewhere are also nice)
32.25 - 32.5
14.5 (maybe 14.38 on some boards)

8.5" Black Label 'Chris Troy' (14.5 x 32.38)
Mob Grip
149 Indys (standard hangar with a forged hollow baseplate)
54mm Spitfire F4 Conical Full - about 53mm now I think?
Bones Reds
7/8" Black & Silver Indy Phillips hardware

[close]

That looks really sick. Love the Label but all their decks are a bit too long for me personally.
Is there a reason you use a Standard hanger on the forged 149s? Are there advantages for it? Thinking about doing the same

Thank you! I'm digging Label right now.  This one feels good after a few sessions already. I have explosive pop doing switch and nollie tricks so I'm stoked on that, just gotta control it now  8)

A year and a half ago I bought 149 Standards and that's what the hangar is. Instead of setting up another pair of trucks, I chose to just swap base plates from the set I would skate next (in the next 7 or so months).
After a bit of time I noticed how heavy and somewhat tiring Standards were on longer sessions. Since then I bought 149 Forged Hollow and some Hollow Standards because I was running Forged Hollow before the Standards. I thought I'd get close to what I had before.

In short, I wanted to shave weight and also have the options to mix and match for certain wheels/board height. I think it works great since it's not super light and it's not super hefty either.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #27231 on: February 22, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »

- Baker 8.475; sanded off the original graphic cuz I wanted to do a custom stencil spray paint graphic, but it came out looking pretty bad so I ended up sanding that off too and now I just have a plain ol blank board. Trying to decide what I want to put on there or if I should just rock it blank, for now it’s blank. Coated with a couple coats of cheap generic clear spray paint from the hardware store.
- Venture 5.8s with Indy barrel bottom aftermarket bushings
- spitfire 54mm F4 99As
- random assortment of bearings from like five different brands probably, shields off.
- random assortment of 1 inch allen hardware
Jessup grip

Fhk

« Reply #27232 on: February 23, 2021, 02:55:05 AM »

- Baker 8.475; sanded off the original graphic cuz I wanted to do a custom stencil spray paint graphic, but it came out looking pretty bad so I ended up sanding that off too and now I just have a plain ol blank board. Trying to decide what I want to put on there or if I should just rock it blank, for now it’s blank. Coated with a couple coats of cheap generic clear spray paint from the hardware store.
- spitfire 54mm F4 99As
- random assortment of bearings from like five different brands probably, shields off.
Jessup grip
So clean..a nice venture sticker and call it good.  :)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #27233 on: February 23, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpZmOgJZgy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I actually bought the Hjalte Surf Shape, but gifted it to my gf, as it seemed a bit more nimble than I was looking for in this setup.  Wanted more surface area...

Polar Oski P9
Ace V2 44's
F4 Conical Full 56's
Bones Big Balls Reds
Real Universal 1/8 Risers
Diamond Hardware

I set this up as my shitty weather cruiser, as I'm in MI and it almost hit 50 degrees today. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27234 on: February 23, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »

- spitfire 54mm F4 99As
Jessup grip

There is nothing finer than raw/silver trucks, white wheels, and blank, natural woodgrain.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27235 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Label Kills! Bought this Black Label a little while ago and after some madness of an 8.5 Real FULL SE with a tail that was not tall/long enough and an 8.375 $lave (was warped and I didn't know until trucks were on it) that felt too short... I finally got back to homeostasis with my skateboard...  ;D

8.5" (an occasional 8.6 or 8.4 that have similar measurements elsewhere are also nice)
32.25 - 32.5

Mob Grip
Bones Reds

[close]

That looks really sick. Love the Label but all their decks are a bit too long for me personally.
Is there a reason you use a Standard hanger on the forged 149s? Are there advantages for it? Thinking about doing the same
[close]

Thank you! I'm digging Label right now.  This one feels good after a few sessions already. I have explosive pop doing switch and nollie tricks so I'm stoked on that, just gotta control it now  8)

A year and a half ago I bought 149 Standards and that's what the hangar is. Instead of setting up another pair of trucks, I chose to just swap base plates from the set I would skate next (in the next 7 or so months).
After a bit of time I noticed how heavy and somewhat tiring Standards were on longer sessions. Since then I bought 149 Forged Hollow and some Hollow Standards because I was running Forged Hollow before the Standards. I thought I'd get close to what I had before.

In short, I wanted to shave weight and also have the options to mix and match for certain wheels/board height. I think it works great since it's not super light and it's not super hefty either.

That makes actually a lot of sense. Might try standard hanger on forged plates to see if my flips feel more controlled.
The height should be the same as usual forged hollows/titaniums right?
IG: @flowterspace

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #27236 on: February 23, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

32.25 - 32.5

Mob Grip
Bones Reds

[close]

[close]

[close]

That makes actually a lot of sense. Might try standard hanger on forged plates to see if my flips feel more controlled.
I notice my flips working pretty well, better than what I had before, so I think there's some validity to my madness haha. It's more manageable since I like to get tech but also skate transition.
If you have forged/titaniums, the height is 53.5mm if I'm not mistaken. If you run standard or standard hollow, it's 55mm. So if you throw a Standard hangar on a Forged/Titanium baseplate, you should get the 53.5mm height.
Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27237 on: February 23, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

32.25 - 32.5

Mob Grip
Bones Reds

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I notice my flips working pretty well, better than what I had before, so I think there's some validity to my madness haha. It's more manageable since I like to get tech but also skate transition.
If you have forged/titaniums, the height is 53.5mm if I'm not mistaken. If you run standard or standard hollow, it's 55mm. So if you throw a Standard hangar on a Forged/Titanium baseplate, you should get the 53.5mm height.

It should give a bit more weight lower to the ground, so maybe more stability? Not sure tho ^^
Both my hollow hangars showing the axles for a few months now, but I will ride them til they fall apart. Whenever that will be, never had trucks that long before.
IG: @flowterspace

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #27238 on: February 23, 2021, 05:35:17 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #27239 on: February 23, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »