Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4813702 times)

TerrorizedCivilian and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27000 on: January 31, 2021, 09:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
thanks!

i've been using this, and I've gotta say its been working really well.  i'm not skilled with spraypaint whatsoever, and this stuff is really easy to work with.  i lay it out on a chair outside, and keep the can moving when i paint.  goes on nice and thick and scrapes off nice when it slides.  shitty chipping paint is a pet peeve of mine, which is why ive been going with the blanks + paint
[close]

I just read an article from This Old House on painting furniture and they recommend rustoleum also. They specify universal. Check the link out. Universal makes a clear coat to go over the paint. That might make it harder.

Painting outside in NO. Just pick a non-humid day or you will have an orange peel fest.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal

Someone else on this board put me onto this paint and its very very good
Goes straight over graphics in one coat and the finish is dope
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:50:35 AM by Nth syd bear »

Fhk

« Reply #27001 on: February 01, 2021, 04:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote
@augustmoon you gotta retake that picture with Van's on and all will be right in the universe :)
[close]

fixed it.
Haha! Yes!  ;D

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1295
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27002 on: February 01, 2021, 06:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@augustmoon you gotta retake that picture with Van's on and all will be right in the universe :)
[close]

fixed it.
[close]
Haha! Yes!  ;D
I slept a bit easier last night and didnt know why. Low and behold, I check this thread and all is right in the world.

Fhk

« Reply #27003 on: February 01, 2021, 06:55:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fixed it.
[close]
Haha! Yes!  ;D
[close]
I slept a bit easier last night and didnt know why. Low and behold, I check this thread and all is right in the world.
I knew it! I believe that this is the point where 2021 turns around. Thank you to everyone involved..we have made history together.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27004 on: February 01, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fixed it.
This is the best post ever in Slap history without a doubt.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27005 on: February 01, 2021, 04:53:30 PM »
I want to let you guys know that I was following Stickergate from the beginning and what a wild ride.  Loved it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

doloris

« Reply #27006 on: February 01, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »

Clutch blank 8.25.  Red/Orange wood sprayed white
Ace 44s
Spitfire 52mm tablets
Swiss

really loving these tablets.  i think these are gonna be my go-to for a while

kinda feeling like going a little smaller than 8.25, but have got a few more blanks to get through first.  Anyone use Ace 44s with an 8.1 or should i go with 33s?

I just set up an 8.125 polar on Ace 44s and honestly can't tell the difference from them being set up on an 8.25. I see a little more wheel on each side, but nothing really noticeable. Besides, I would rather have 44s on an 8.125 than 33s. Just my personal preference though.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #27007 on: February 01, 2021, 08:09:37 PM »
you guys know i love you, right? 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • the moon rules
« Reply #27008 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »

Polar 8.1
Skate High Pros
fuck you bama

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27009 on: February 02, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »
Expand Quote

Chocolate G033 shape (8.5"x32", 14.25" WB)
Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

Not going to get to skate for a while because of the snow, but I wanted to set this up. I like the new crail wood and but have only skated the shapes and wanted to try a pop. Hyped to get out there once the snow goes.

I've been really into crooked grinds and haven't been happy with Ace or Indy so I put the Ventures on my last board and immediately loved them. Now I'm debating getting some 5.6s again. The madness doesn't end.
[close]
8.5 with 5.6s are the way to go. even with 78a bushings you have to force wheelbite

@off you got my madness sparked. I ordered some 5.6 hollows, worst case scenario I have some forged plates to swap back and forth.

ballintoohard

« Reply #27010 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »

Had the Pass~Port in the middle on Indy’s for a while and the thing wouldn’t die, but I got quite bored of it. Set it up with my Thunders “just to try” and it was much better, breathed new life into it. Had the 8.25 (purple) and 8 (orange) Carpet on ice and they have a bit steeper nose, but otherwise similar dims. Hoping it works.

Carpet 8.25”
Thunder Team Hollow plates, 148 Ti Lite hangers (Team Ti Hollow? Not sure what this combo is)
Spitfire 99a F4 52mm worn to 51
Bones Swiss 6
Shorty’s Silverado’s
Jessup.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1295
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27011 on: February 02, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Untitled by , on Flickr
FA Dill 8.25
Indy 149 standard
Spitfire F4 tablets 53mm
Indy 7/8 phillips
Reds

1st time doing 149s on 8.25. Might hate it but here we go...

ballintoohard

« Reply #27012 on: February 02, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
On fuller decks 149 feel mostly fine, but the steeper decks tend to let the wheels peek out more

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #27013 on: February 02, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

Not going to get to skate for a while because of the snow, but I wanted to set this up. I like the new crail wood and but have only skated the shapes and wanted to try a pop. Hyped to get out there once the snow goes.

I've been really into crooked grinds and haven't been happy with Ace or Indy so I put the Ventures on my last board and immediately loved them. Now I'm debating getting some 5.6s again. The madness doesn't end.

Perfect 👌

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27014 on: February 02, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

[close]
8.5 with 5.6s are the way to go. even with 78a bushings you have to force wheelbite
[close]

@off you got my madness sparked. I ordered some 5.6 hollows, worst case scenario I have some forged plates to swap back and forth.
id recommend running the cast plates with the hollow hangers on 14.25 WB, worked well in my experience.

flat washers are vital if you ride loose. never rode a cupped washer from any brand that didnt give a turn delay and its really unnecessary/redundant with ventures, i run flats top and bottom. you should be able to run a lot softer bushings than normal because the stability isnt lost as long as they are barrels. riptides if you are gonna lean into the madness but you wont be disappointed.

two inside washers for the perfect amount of magic carpet. cant tell you the last time i got wheelbite with a 8.5/5.6 combo riding wheels 52mm and under.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27015 on: February 02, 2021, 02:24:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

[close]
[close]

[close]
id recommend running the cast plates with the hollow hangers on 14.25 WB, worked well in my experience.

flat washers are vital if you ride loose. never rode a cupped washer from any brand that didnt give a turn delay and its really unnecessary/redundant with ventures, i run flats top and bottom. you should be able to run a lot softer bushings than normal because the stability isnt lost as long as they are barrels. riptides if you are gonna lean into the madness but you wont be disappointed.

two inside washers for the perfect amount of magic carpet. cant tell you the last time i got wheelbite with a 8.5/5.6 combo riding wheels 52mm and under.

I will say, its funny but this time is the first in ages that I've run ventures straight up stock and I've been super into it. I almost always do a harder bushing and flat washer, but for whatever reason these were going just right (at least on the last board I had them on).

I'm usually not a fan of forged plates, but I had some 5.6 lights back in the spring and I liked how low they were. I figure having the option in my kit is worth it.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #27016 on: February 02, 2021, 06:30:59 PM »
Throwback

Rockstar Energy Mayhem Fest 7.75
Navigator 8" (front) + Indy 215 (back)
Ricta Crystals 45mm 101a(front) + OJ Little Doodies (back)
Bones Reds
Paradox grip

Fhk

« Reply #27017 on: February 02, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »
Throwback

Expand Quote

Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]
Still hotter than ever. Damn..so many great memories when BFRD first unleashed that upon us.

Fhk

« Reply #27018 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard at an inanimate object before.
[close]
This should have been the last post of the set up thread. We should have made a separate topic named, "Lesser Set-Ups of Mere Mortals" to post our shitty set ups.
[close]

I say we move this thread to Classic Slap and start a new one in Shoes & Gear. We have peaked as a message board and this post must be preserved.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27019 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:29 PM »
seventyfrigginseven?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fhk

« Reply #27020 on: February 02, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27021 on: February 02, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote
seventyfrigginseven?
[close]
Yessir.
knew that profile looked familiar.

welcome back to davy jones locker

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #27022 on: February 03, 2021, 12:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
seventyfrigginseven?
[close]
Yessir.
[close]

Thank you, Off! I was trying to figure out who they reminded me of.

Welcome back to the forum AND/OR sorry to hear if something happened to your main account!
Super Champion Fun Zone

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #27023 on: February 03, 2021, 12:41:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]

[close]
This should have been the last post of the set up thread. We should have made a separate topic named, "Lesser Set-Ups of Mere Mortals" to post our shitty set ups.
[close]

I say we move this thread to Classic Slap and start a new one in Shoes & Gear. We have peaked as a message board and this post must be preserved.
[close]

Imagine being the poor soul that has to follow this up. Or the person that put so much love into a set up just to post it without seeing this was the previous one? I’d have to focus my board.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Fhk

« Reply #27024 on: February 03, 2021, 04:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
seventyfrigginseven?
[close]
Yessir.
[close]

[close]

Thank you, Off! I was trying to figure out who they reminded me of.

Welcome back to the forum AND/OR sorry to hear if something happened to your main account!
Thank you fellas! I focused when I was just a few posts away from being a pal.. Dumb move. Now I'm at square one I can't even tag anyone..and the other day it said I was banned for a minute when I logged in, I don't know whats going on? Anyhow, happy to be back laughing with you guys

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27025 on: February 03, 2021, 07:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Imagine being the poor soul that has to follow this up. Or the person that put so much love into a set up just to post it without seeing this was the previous one? I’d have to focus my board.

I just keep thinking of that single Indy 215 I have sitting at the back of the cupboard, that never had another 215 truck to go with it and waiting for that day when someone somewhere asks if I have just one single 215 truck...

But every time I see this, I keep thinking maybe I should just send it to the owner of this board, just so they can put them together on a 10 inch nasty and be done with it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #27026 on: February 03, 2021, 06:07:10 PM »

viceland promo 8.5 (made by watson, so sayeth the man who flowed me)

indy 159’s

ricta 55mm 99a (cheaper than the usual- i’m insanely broke. i hate their graphics, entire team and all their ads)

bones reds

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #27027 on: February 03, 2021, 06:38:49 PM »

indy 159’s

ricta 55mm 99a (cheaper than the usual- i’m insanely broke. i hate their graphics, entire team and all their ads)

bones reds

I'm digging the colors on the deck!

Indy Mids?

Those Rictas have a nice shape to em though! Hope they treat ya well!
Super Champion Fun Zone

cky enthusiast

« Reply #27028 on: February 03, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote

indy 159’s

bones reds
[close]

Indy Mids?

thanks! i wrote my name over “vice” cause those jabrones aren’t getting free promo from me

yah mids :)

thank you!! i’m sure they’ll do just fine- i’m usually a spit loyalist but i had to skimp. never hurts to try something different

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27029 on: February 03, 2021, 07:01:15 PM »
Expand Quote

indy 159’s

bones reds
[close]

Indy Mids?

I looked closer, yes mids, with 55mm wheels. 

Interesting to hear if you get wheelbite with that combo.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.