Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785858 times)

babywantsbluevelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27180 on: February 19, 2021, 09:39:29 PM »

8.75” Prime Wood LA “S4” shape
L: 32” WB: 14.25” N: 6.875” T: 6.75”
Indy 159 Standards
Indy aftermarket black conical bushings
Speedlab 97a 56mm
Swiss 6
Indy 7/8ths Phillips

I’ll probably put rails and some stickers on it after testing it out tomorrow, but for now I’m soaking in the blank look.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27181 on: February 19, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »

Late birthday presents from my girl came today
Bobby's twin tail
148? Thunders
54mm bones
Swiss
Mob
Laceless shelltoes
I have been on a big board kick. But I just had a great school hallway session on this 8.38. I love school vacations  ;)
shelltoes look so good without the laces. how good are the centering straps for skating?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27182 on: February 19, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »

I have an 8.5 Hockey deck lined up for after this.  Has anyone skated 9 inch Aces on an 8.5 before? I’ve never gone a full half inch difference between my deck and trucks before...

done that and let me tell you: i felt like fucking peter parker the very first day he got his powers. Slappying my way to the spot sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Forget about shuvs/360-flips thought but if that's not something you're looking for: go try it, superfun

Fhk

« Reply #27183 on: February 20, 2021, 04:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Bobby's twin tail
148? Thunders
54mm bones
Swiss
Mob
Laceless shelltoes
I have been on a big board kick. But I just had a great school hallway session on this 8.38. I love school vacations  ;)
[close]
shelltoes look so good without the laces. how good are the centering straps for skating?
You could definitely skate them without the laces. They would be as good as a slip-on skate shoe imo. I do throw laces in them because I like the look better. Definitely my favorite shoes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:52:45 AM by Fhk hu »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #27184 on: February 20, 2021, 06:04:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bobby's twin tail
148? Thunders
54mm bones
Swiss
Mob
Laceless shelltoes
[close]
[close]
You could definitely skate them without the laces. They would be as good as a slip-on skate shoe imo. I do throw laces in them because I like the look better. Definitely my favorite shoes.
that must have been crazy loud in a school hallway? Echo? So sick though. I work part time in an old mill and push the wooden floored hallways sometimes

Fhk

« Reply #27185 on: February 20, 2021, 06:24:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bobby's twin tail
148? Thunders
54mm bones
Swiss
Mob
Laceless shelltoes
[close]
[close]
[close]
that must have been crazy loud in a school hallway? Echo? So sick though. I work part time in an old mill and push the wooden floored hallways sometimes
It's not too loud but it sounds wicked cool. Shitty part is I have to restrain from fliptricks because last time I skated in there I missed a few and it dinged up the floor..so it's just ollie variations and shove it tricks from now on. I gotta keep it professional lol

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #27186 on: February 20, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bobby's twin tail
148? Thunders
54mm bones
Swiss
Mob
Laceless shelltoes
[close]
[close]

Nice!! Glad to see someone else appreciating this version of the superstar! It such a step-up in every way. Love my pairs.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

newspaperparty

• Rep: 26
« Reply #27187 on: February 20, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Hockey 8.75 x 32.60 (14.5 wheelbase)
Spitfire Formula Four OG Classics 52 mm
-both lightly skated with my old Ventures

Ace 55s
Bronson Raw bearings
Mob grip
Random Bones hardware
Not pictured - 2nd pair in a row of all white leather Blazers

Not a huge fan of the graphic but I wanted to try one of Hockey’s 8.75s now that they’re making them. First time skating Aces (after a few pairs of Ventures in a row) which might be a rough transition but I’m thinking they’ll pair nicely with the 14.5 wheelbase.  Also stoked that the OG classics are now in F4.

I have an 8.5 Hockey deck lined up for after this.  Has anyone skated 9 inch Aces on an 8.5 before? I’ve never gone a full half inch difference between my deck and trucks before...
[close]
You better put some 5.8s on that 8.5.

I've skated 55s on 8.5 (including Hockey 8.5) on 6 or 7 different setups and loved it every time. Flip tricks and everything worked great still. Honestly amazing setup all around for me

Also, super curious to hear about how that 8.75 Hockey skates, was stoked to see that and the 9. Too bad the 9's wheelbase is a mile long

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27188 on: February 20, 2021, 05:26:39 PM »
Also, super curious to hear about how that 8.75 Hockey skates, was stoked to see that and the 9. Too bad the 9's wheelbase is a mile long
same. The 8.75” shape is more blunt than the 9” as well. Close to scooping it if it’s still around when some snow melts.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #27189 on: February 20, 2021, 08:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

done that and let me tell you: i felt like fucking peter parker the very first day he got his powers. Slappying my way to the spot sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Forget about shuvs/360-flips thought but if that's not something you're looking for: go try it, superfun

Sounds incredible. Can’t wait to try it

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27190 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55s
Bronson Raw bearings
Mob grip
Random Bones hardware
Not pictured - 2nd pair in a row of all white leather Blazers

Not a huge fan of the graphic but I wanted to try one of Hockey’s 8.75s now that they’re making them. First time skating Aces (after a few pairs of Ventures in a row) which might be a rough transition but I’m thinking they’ll pair nicely with the 14.5 wheelbase.  Also stoked that the OG classics are now in F4.

[close]
You better put some 5.8s on that 8.5.
[close]

I've skated 55s on 8.5 (including Hockey 8.5) on 6 or 7 different setups and loved it every time. Flip tricks and everything worked great still. Honestly amazing setup all around for me

Good to hear about the 55s on the 8.5.   That seems to be the ideal size board for me overall.

The shape of the Hockey 8.75 looks real similar to the 8.5 Hockeys I’ve had before. I skated it for like half an hour on some ventures and it was great.  Hope the snow slows down on the east coast so I can get back out there on the Aces with it. I was looking at the nine but the wheelbase is pretty extreme haha.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #27191 on: February 21, 2021, 02:42:34 AM »

These Krookeds could be older than I initially thought. First one skated so well but delaminated.

Another 8.18 with all the same stuff as before.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #27192 on: February 21, 2021, 03:43:52 AM »
Label Kills! Bought this Black Label a little while ago and after some madness of an 8.5 Real FULL SE with a tail that was not tall/long enough and an 8.375 $lave (was warped and I didn't know until trucks were on it) that felt too short... I finally got my back go homeostasis with my skateboard...  ;D

I am finally confident my ideal specs for width/length/WB are:
8.5" (an occasional 8.6 or 8.4 that have similar measurements elsewhere are also nice)
32.25 - 32.5
14.5 (maybe 14.38 on some boards)

8.5" Black Label 'Chris Troy' (14.5 x 32.38)
Mob Grip
149 Indys (standard hangar with a forged hollow baseplate)
54mm Spitfire F4 Conical Full - about 53mm now I think?
Bones Reds
7/8" Black & Silver Indy Phillips hardware

Super Champion Fun Zone

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27193 on: February 21, 2021, 05:32:36 AM »

Ace 55s
Bronson Raw bearings
Mob grip

Not a huge fan of the graphic but I wanted to try one of Hockey’s 8.75s now that they’re making them.
post a top view of that shape plz

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27194 on: February 21, 2021, 08:48:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55s
Bronson Raw bearings
Mob grip

Not a huge fan of the graphic but I wanted to try one of Hockey’s 8.75s now that they’re making them.
[close]
post a top view of that shape plz

Excuse the gripjob

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #27195 on: February 21, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »
Got some wheels and set up a freshie with parts from my stash. It's still too snowy for me to want to ride it, so I'm breaking in the bushing by just rocking back and forth on the carpet like psycho.

I'm also pleased to announce that I have reached a new low in grip jobs. When I got this deck I got the end of the roll, so I was working with like a 3/4 sheet and a 1/4 sheet of 6 month old mob. Parental discretion is advised.

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Disclaimer: this grip job is not endorsed by and does not reflect the values of crushed skateshop or spitfire wheels

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #27196 on: February 21, 2021, 09:25:40 AM »
Fucking hell, I could not deal with looking down at that. You do you though.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #27197 on: February 21, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
My existence is a cautionary tale

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #27198 on: February 21, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Re grip is in order

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #27199 on: February 21, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
Eh. Fuckin keep it. Embrace the chaos.

I say this whilst contemplating if I should use mob or jessup, and trying to remember where I saw instructions for ‘world grip’ online

**edit

Now I’m unsure. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have presented false modesty, but really you made an intentional choice to grip in this fashion, as a completion of the aesthetic of the deck brand....they do shitty fake child-like ms paint style graphics, you logically continue this to the grip job. 5 year olds drawings, 5 year olds grip tape application. If you had done this on Visual deck, or a Visit, or something that has a sanitized, generic style than a that would have been interesting. The further I think about this I realize I don’t like being manipulated and you should change your shit immediately. You nonce
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:08:46 AM by Ok »

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #27200 on: February 21, 2021, 10:04:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It looks purposely shitty, like an ironic way. I like it.

For your future self you could always cut the 3/4 sheet into 4ths or 5ths and gap out each sheet a bit to make it stretch.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #27201 on: February 21, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
Got some wheels and set up a freshie with parts from my stash. It's still too snowy for me to want to ride it, so I'm breaking in the bushing by just rocking back and forth on the carpet like psycho.

I'm also pleased to announce that I have reached a new low in grip jobs. When I got this deck I got the end of the roll, so I was working with like a 3/4 sheet and a 1/4 sheet of 6 month old mob. Parental discretion is advised.

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Disclaimer: this grip job is not endorsed by and does not reflect the values of crushed skateshop or spitfire wheels

Grip job transcends skating. It is a work of art.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27202 on: February 21, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »
Label Kills! Bought this Black Label a little while ago and after some madness of an 8.5 Real FULL SE with a tail that was not tall/long enough and an 8.375 $lave (was warped and I didn't know until trucks were on it) that felt too short... I finally got my back go homeostasis with my skateboard...  ;D

I am finally confident my ideal specs for width/length/WB are:
8.5" (an occasional 8.6 or 8.4 that have similar measurements elsewhere are also nice)
32.25 - 32.5
14.5 (maybe 14.38 on some boards)

8.5" Black Label 'Chris Troy' (14.5 x 32.38)
Mob Grip
149 Indys (standard hangar with a forged hollow baseplate)
54mm Spitfire F4 Conical Full - about 53mm now I think?
Bones Reds
7/8" Black & Silver Indy Phillips hardware

That looks really sick. Love the Label but all their decks are a bit too long for me personally.
Is there a reason you use a Standard hanger on the forged 149s? Are there advantages for it? Thinking about doing the same
IG: @flowterspace

newspaperparty

• Rep: 26
« Reply #27203 on: February 21, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Skated this same exact board/truck/wheel combo. Loved it

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27204 on: February 21, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »

Skate Warehouse had sale of reject boards/ trucks at the swap meet this morning.

Deck: Baker 8.25 X 31.875 (25 bucks)
Grip: was already gripped, when purchased, not sure.
Trucks: 5.5 Tensor Mag Lights. Ten bucks for the pair, hard to pass up. Had a hard time finding a pair of "good trucks" though they were there. Might end up giving them away.
Bearings: very old Swiss. Need to update with new swiss or some reds.
Wheels: SML 53s. Might be 52 at this point
The chillest1

Niceblackman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #27205 on: February 21, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »

Fancy Lad 8.5 14.25wb
Venture 6.1 with thunder 97a bushings.
Spitfire F4 tablets 52mm 101a
Bronson raws
Mob grip

My madness has been wild lately.  I skated that girl popsecret deck with the Ace55s, then some 159s, then these ventures, then bought this deck to work better with the ventures... then lost my mind and tried it with thunder 149s

Out of all of that craziness... I like this the best.  The deck is from clutch and it’s held up for 2 weeks so far. As much as I think I need a smaller better to flip setup, I do my best work with 8.75 trucks and 8.5 decks.

The Girl pop secret is a good deck, it just doesn’t feel alive. Feels like it’s made of plastic or something.  Holler at me if you want some aces or thunders lol

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #27206 on: February 21, 2021, 01:46:47 PM »

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

the grip job is legitimately sick tbh.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #27207 on: February 21, 2021, 02:09:01 PM »
Was going to put this on the wall but I made a curb/beer run board. Planning to add OJ rails eventually.

Natas Black Prismatic 10.3
Indy 169
OJ Keyframe 56mm
Bronson Raws
Mob black/clear

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #27208 on: February 21, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

This is the most appropriate grip I’ve ever seen on a frog deck.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27209 on: February 21, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

[close]

the grip job is legitimately sick tbh.
Could be worst, like that one guy who gripped his board with a nail clipper or sth
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.