Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4810926 times)

maggotspawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27120 on: February 13, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »

Polar Paul Grund Dog Studies Deck 8.5 x 32.125, 14.5 WB
Indy 149 Forged Hollow
Spitfire F4 Tablet 99a Wheels 54mm
Kveni Ceramic Bearings
Bones Medium
Mini Logo grip
Indy 1" hardware

Just got it together haven't had a chance to skate it.
First deck with graphics for what's been a long while.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27121 on: February 13, 2021, 05:08:57 PM »

Indy 149 Forged Hollow
Kveni Ceramic Bearings
Bones Medium
Mini Logo grip
Indy 1" hardware

That graphic is beautiful, very Koudelka-ish
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #27122 on: February 13, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Indy 149 Forged Hollow
Kveni Ceramic Bearings
Bones Medium
Mini Logo grip
Indy 1" hardware

[close]
Thanks, I dig it. I"ll probably snag another one.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #27123 on: February 13, 2021, 05:28:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Indy 149 Forged Hollow
Kveni Ceramic Bearings
Bones Medium
Mini Logo grip
Indy 1" hardware

[close]

Very much so. Really nice graphic.

I only started coming to this section in the last few weeks...and if I had less fiscal self control I’d probably have more than one setup. So many nice examples in here. I’m in the middle of a Canadian winter, and it just snowed 10cm but this thread is getting me more hyped to skate most videos.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #27124 on: February 13, 2021, 05:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

krooked 8.25 full - coming from a lot of reals that were 8.25 - pretty easy to get used to just my kick flips take more effort
thunder 148s
spitfire f4 52 99a
bones super reds

skating the kalis s - gonna switch em out for the lakai fremont
[close]

That is just beautiful
[close]
Can't remember last time I've seen such a beautiful board.
4 realz , also Idon't see anyone complimenting the Kalis S. Seriously one of the best shoes made in years.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:35:40 PM by gsosa »

Wafools

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #27125 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »

Baby’s first Egg.  I bullied my wife into getting me one for Valentine’s.  Set this up as a second board but after standing on it, it might become my main board.
FOS is absolutely brilliant with this shape.

Heroin “Eraseregg” 8.9X31.5 14.125 WB
The “razor top” feels so good (rounded bottom side wall and sharp top)
Indy 159 usa plates stock bushings
Indy hardware
Spit F4 Conical 53s
Swiss
Mob
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:04:19 PM by Wafools »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27126 on: February 13, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »

Baby’s first Egg.  I bullied my wife into getting me one for Valentine’s.  Set this up as a second board but after standing on it, it might become my main board.
FOS is absolutely brilliant with this shape.

Heroin “Eraseregg” 8.9X31.5 14.125 WB
The “razor top” feels so good (rounded bottom side wall and sharp top)
Indy 159 usa plates stock bushings
Indy hardware
Spit F4 Conical 53s
Swiss
Mob
bullying works huh?

how are the kicks on it? pictures if its not a hassle
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #27127 on: February 13, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
Really shitty here with these ice storms in the northeast so I put these two together tonight. Birdhouse Tony Hawk Evil Cats. Vertical cat is an 8.0 and pretty steep and horizontal cat is 8.25 and very mellow.

8.0 Evil Cat
Thunder Lights 145 / Thunder Risers
Spitfire Classics 54mm
Andale Bearings Daewon's
Shortys Hardware
Grizzly Griptape

8.25 Evil Cat 2
Thunder Lights 147 / Thunder Risers
Spitfire Bigheads 54mm
Andale Bearings Pudwill's
Shortys Hardware
Grizzly Griptape

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #27128 on: February 13, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »
^ absolutely beautiful.

In middle school, local radio station had daily thong of the day on their website. Same feeling when I click on this thread

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #27129 on: February 14, 2021, 01:12:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been obsessed with this part lately so I had to get another Krooked.

Gonz 8.18 (from a few seasons ago.. actually I have no idea when it was released)
Venture 5.6
Loophole Jameel Douglas 54mm
Swiss
Jessup

NB 212
[close]

that shits tight, all the way around. I'd hang that graphic. it makes me think about all the krooked decks I'd love to have had on my wall rn. shred it
[close]

I did consider hanging it but I already have two Wastell Krookeds for the wall (I don't need any more wall boards). I have another Gonz I bought with this one that I'll set up next. This one's a yellow top so I couldn't not skate it.
van IS one of my favorite skaters of all time. somehow his debut board has remained with me, unscathed through all the dark times i had. that was the only board i held on to.......then i came up on a matt rodriguez uprize board on thursday and got the bug to collect meaningful boards, again. good thing i got that stimulus check to burn

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #27130 on: February 14, 2021, 01:26:11 AM »
^ I would love to have a Wastell Kr99ked for the wall... oh well.

Just set this up earlier :D
*8.5 x 32.25 x 14.38 (Full SE)*
- Real 'Ishod Marble Dove'
- Indy 149s. Swapped the standard hollow baseplate with a forged hollow baseplate from another set I had. Wanted to go back to 53.5mm height and shave some weight to be more nimble. I have a standard hangar in this one.
- Spit F4 Conical Full 54mm/99duro
- Bones Reds
- Indy 7/8" Phillip's hardware. Normally on 1".

Es Silo: my go to chillers

Super Champion Fun Zone

rawbacon

« Reply #27131 on: February 14, 2021, 01:38:04 AM »

- Indy 149s. Swapped the standard hollow baseplate with a forged hollow baseplate from another set I had. Wanted to go back to 53.5mm height and shave some weight to be more nimble. I have a standard hangar in this one.
- Bones Reds

you might be able to buy one from his step bro, if anything trade? worth a try at least. also, do you skate forged/hollow/whatever new tech trucks because thats all thats available or do you really like em? the lighter shit, for me, makes my board feel super flimsy and i have trouble with pop. its almost like im skating a super short wheelbase deck and cant get a good snap. maybe i need to stop bitching about the end is nigh and get with the times.....or i just need to stop bitching in general

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27132 on: February 14, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »
Expand Quote

- Bones Reds

[close]
you might be able to buy one from his step bro, if anything trade? worth a try at least. also, do you skate forged/hollow/whatever new tech trucks because thats all thats available or do you really like em? the lighter shit, for me, makes my board feel super flimsy and i have trouble with pop. its almost like im skating a super short wheelbase deck and cant get a good snap. maybe i need to stop bitching about the end is nigh and get with the times.....or i just need to stop bitching in general

I'll look into hitting Eddie up about a board but I haven't wanted to bother him since Alanna passed away recently. They run, or... ran the Van tribute IG page together. Now it's just him.

I ran Indy Standards for the longest until they came out with Forged Hollow some years back and I go back and forth between standard and hollow since then. It depends on what I'm in the mood for/catches my eye, as well as the boards I skate/my physicality. (Nice broad answer, i know. Haha)
Steep kicks, I need hollow indys that are lower/lighter because I get ghost pop otherwise. I noticed that in the last couple years with my skating.

I skated a pair of blue Indy forged Hollows for 2.5 years and loved em the whole time. I still got the heft of an Indy but it was lighter and slightly more responsive since it was also slightly lower. The lightest 149 Indy is still more hearty than most Thunders and Ventures, so they never feel flimsy to me. I like to skate a bit of everything but get technical mostly, so it works. Covid supply concerns got me to buy a couple extra sets (that I didn't need) of standard hollow, forged hollow, and standards. That way, I could at least mix and match hangars and base plates as I skate through my trucks to optimize my set up. Swapping a baseplate to shave weight/increase weight is a good solution to make boards work for me.

In short, yes, I like the forged hollows and hollow standards because it's nice to have options to customize. I recommend finding a middle ground between the lightest and heaviest for your preferred size of truck. The tech does work!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #27133 on: February 14, 2021, 02:19:44 AM »
So...
Yesterday, about 7/8ths of the way through a session, I snapped the tail off of the 8.5” Clutch Z4 blank I had set up. I was on the other side of the bay & didn't have a 2nd set up w/ me, so I was a little bummed that I was going to call it quits, as I was still trying to get a combo-trick when I broke my deck on a flatground ollie.
The good homey, Ori from Florida, had an unused, but already gripped, Blockhead Hard Times deck in his trunk. He handed it over without reservation & told me to go land that shit. I set it up on the spot & handled business, despite the complimentary extra 1/4” of wheelbase that came with the free deck. THANK YOU, Ori. I owe you one.
I don’t know the dims, and I didn’t bother to measure anything beyond the WB (14.75”) and the width over the trucks (to insure I wouldn’t be “magic carpeting too much with these Thunder 149s. About 8.7” over the front truck, & 8.5” over the rear, so good to go.
Put in about 15-20 minutes on it so far & the turn felt crazy slow/lazy compared to the 14.5” WB I had been on moments prior, so much so that I swore up & down that it must be a 15” WB, but when I got home the tape said otherwise.
Threw a few stickies & some paint (via stencil) on there when I got home & here it is, while it lasts.

Blockhead Hard Times 8.8”(?)
Thunder Team Edition 149s
Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss
Some old Shortys or Roughneck hardware (I dunno, not really keeping track)
Unknown grip that was already on there.

I have the 8.37 hard times....same thing just scaled down to 31.75 and 14.5 wb with the flat concave/medium kick mold Watson seem to use for most of their "modern" decks. Surprisingly functional shape, I bought it thinking it would just be a cruiser/conversation piece (since they're small runs they're not super common) but it pops and flips like a popsicle. It was my first Watson deck and I was surprised at how good it felt since I'd read on here that Watson wood was bad nowadays. Had I not tried that deck I'd probably never have gone for one of the Foundation oval reissues they put out last fall which ended up being one of my favorite decks in recent times.

Curious what you think of the wood.

rawbacon

« Reply #27134 on: February 14, 2021, 02:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Bones Reds

[close]
[close]

I'll look into hitting Eddie up about a board but I haven't wanted to bother him since Alanna passed away recently. They run, or... ran the Van tribute IG page together. Now it's just him.

I ran Indy Standards for the longest until they came out with Forged Hollow some years back and I go back and forth between standard and hollow since then. It depends on what I'm in the mood for/catches my eye, as well as the boards I skate/my physicality. (Nice broad answer, i know. Haha)
Steep kicks, I need hollow indys that are lower/lighter because I get ghost pop otherwise. I noticed that in the last couple years with my skating.

I skated a pair of blue Indy forged Hollows for 2.5 years and loved em the whole time. I still got the heft of an Indy but it was lighter and slightly more responsive since it was also slightly lower. The lightest 149 Indy is still more hearty than most Thunders and Ventures, so they never feel flimsy to me. I like to skate a bit of everything but get technical mostly, so it works. Covid supply concerns got me to buy a couple extra sets (that I didn't need) of standard hollow, forged hollow, and standards. That way, I could at least mix and match hangars and base plates as I skate through my trucks to optimize my set up. Swapping a baseplate to shave weight/increase weight is a good solution to make boards work for me.

In short, yes, I like the forged hollows and hollow standards because it's nice to have options to customize. I recommend finding a middle ground between the lightest and heaviest for your preferred size of truck. The tech does work!

didnt know that another one of them past. damn. but either way, im willing to bet money that eddie would be at least happy to know that people still view van in high regards, even after almost 13 years. as cold as it sounds(if it does?), van is my generation's keenan. words cannot express what his skating means to me

Fhk

« Reply #27135 on: February 14, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »

AWS 8.75
Venture 6.1s
Krooked 1/8" risers
55mm classics
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Shelldogs
My Polar 8.75 still smells new but I had to try out the small wb on this thing..very intrigued

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27136 on: February 14, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Bones Reds

[close]
[close]

[close]

didnt know that another one of them past. damn. but either way, im willing to bet money that eddie would be at least happy to know that people still view van in high regards, even after almost 13 years. as cold as it sounds(if it does?), van is my generation's keenan. words cannot express what his skating means to me

Yeah, I believe she was a close friend to the Wastells but I don't know all the details about her/their relation.
On Instagram, he seems positively receptive to anyone sharing stories/pieces about Van, so I think you'd be right there. I still hold his skating quite high and his personality/creativity even higher. He was impressionable to me in my teenage years around 11-13 years ago. Was always a fan and bummed to find out he passed back then.
Super Champion Fun Zone

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #27137 on: February 14, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »

AWS 8.75
Venture 6.1s
Krooked 1/8" risers
55mm classics
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Shelldogs
My Polar 8.75 still smells new but I had to try out the small wb on this thing..very intrigued
That shape is too good.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #27138 on: February 14, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
Expand Quote

AWS 8.75
Venture 6.1s
Krooked 1/8" risers
55mm classics
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Shelldogs
[close]
That shape is too good.
show the top. Interested to hear how you like that versus the polar

Fhk

« Reply #27139 on: February 14, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AWS 8.75
Venture 6.1s
Krooked 1/8" risers
55mm classics
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Shelldogs
[close]
That shape is too good.
[close]
show the top. Interested to hear how you like that versus the polar

Fucking thing literally looks like a popsicle stick  :)
I put it through my normal standstill ollie/fliptrick routine that all freshies get and I can tell it gonna take more big board effort than the Polar. I will just let it kick my ass, and love it anyways...because it is pretty sexy.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #27140 on: February 14, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
Expand Quote
So...
Yesterday, about 7/8ths of the way through a session, I snapped the tail off of the 8.5” Clutch Z4 blank I had set up. I was on the other side of the bay & didn't have a 2nd set up w/ me, so I was a little bummed that I was going to call it quits, as I was still trying to get a combo-trick when I broke my deck on a flatground ollie.
The good homey, Ori from Florida, had an unused, but already gripped, Blockhead Hard Times deck in his trunk. He handed it over without reservation & told me to go land that shit. I set it up on the spot & handled business, despite the complimentary extra 1/4” of wheelbase that came with the free deck. THANK YOU, Ori. I owe you one.
I don’t know the dims, and I didn’t bother to measure anything beyond the WB (14.75”) and the width over the trucks (to insure I wouldn’t be “magic carpeting too much with these Thunder 149s. About 8.7” over the front truck, & 8.5” over the rear, so good to go.
Put in about 15-20 minutes on it so far & the turn felt crazy slow/lazy compared to the 14.5” WB I had been on moments prior, so much so that I swore up & down that it must be a 15” WB, but when I got home the tape said otherwise.
Threw a few stickies & some paint (via stencil) on there when I got home & here it is, while it lasts.

Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss
[close]

I have the 8.37 hard times....same thing just scaled down to 31.75 and 14.5 wb with the flat concave/medium kick mold Watson seem to use for most of their "modern" decks. Surprisingly functional shape, I bought it thinking it would just be a cruiser/conversation piece (since they're small runs they're not super common) but it pops and flips like a popsicle. It was my first Watson deck and I was surprised at how good it felt since I'd read on here that Watson wood was bad nowadays. Had I not tried that deck I'd probably never have gone for one of the Foundation oval reissues they put out last fall which ended up being one of my favorite decks in recent times.

Curious what you think of the wood.
@Buttfart Rapedick,
Offhand, my summary based on my limited time on it so far is that both the concave & kicks are mellower than I'm accustomed to. The mellower tail angle means my pop isn't as steep, requiring more speed & downward force in order to create more lift to get the front end to the same height as it would be at with a steeper tail. I found this a bit tricky at first, because... old. And with that, slower moving and the lot. I started to grasp it towards the end of the only session I've had on it (about 20 minutes,) so time will tell if I adjust well.
I noticed that the same mellow tail that stymied me initially, also made rotational tricks easier to scoop. The mellow concave, however, feels like it requires more flick for flips.
As for the wood itself, visually it appears to be a hair thicker than, say, the BBS or PS decks I have on hand, and has a mild/moderate flex. Once I got it to pop properly, it felt fairly lively, but keep in mind: while it was still "new," I have no idea how old this deck actually was when homey gifted it to me. He was already the 2nd owner, as it was. Perhaps you've got a better idea of when this modern-repro series initially dropped.
I generally get accustomed to whatever I'm riding pretty quickly, and beyond the concave/kick issue and those semi pointy tip profiles, this thing isn't much different than my current preferred set up, so I'm pretty sure I'll gel with it.
I used the excuse of snapping the tail on the Clutch Z4 to grip up another deck anyway, and I went ahead & ordered me up yet another 8.5 in the form of a Theories UFO shape, so I've got both of those to look forward to, even if I don't wind up caring much for the Watson wood.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #27141 on: February 14, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »

Girl Howard slick G52?? (8.25 X 31.875 14 wb)
Jessup xtra or whatever their grittier grip is called.
Venture Highs 5.6
Swiss 6
Satori 54s. Got em for twenty bucks off SW.

Haven't skated the wheels yet, but had a hard time getting use to the smaller shape. Only skated it for an hour tho. Might go back to the drkrm 8.375, or try an 8.25 with a 14.25 wb. Love the graphic tho.

I’m eyeing this deck at the moment. I don’t think I’ve had a deck with such small wheelbase in a long time and never had a slick before so I’m curious to try. Also, I’ve been quite stoked on the Girl/chocolate resurgence lately! 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #27142 on: February 14, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
So...

Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss

how's your experience with thunder wheelbite on 54s?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #27143 on: February 14, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote
So...

Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss
[close]

I run 54s on 149 cast with 8.38.

Never got wheel bite.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #27144 on: February 14, 2021, 11:11:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So...

Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss
[close]

[close]

Never got wheel bite.
I get a fair bit with the 54s, but nothing too serious. I run them a little loose though.
I'd rather be on 55s, or 56s, but that's in the no-no zone for the cast 149s when I've got them to where they're turning how I like them to. I sized up to the 151s a while back for that reason (they're a smidge taller), which in turn led me to wider decks, which then steered me down the Ace hole. I'm trying to burn through these last couple pairs of Thunders before giving Ace a try for a while.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #27145 on: February 14, 2021, 11:27:23 PM »
more of a Re-set up...this time its working out really good.

Krooked Chico
Thunder 149
SF 99 53mm
Super Swiss
Mob

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27146 on: February 15, 2021, 03:58:25 AM »
very sick. idk why but the bushings matching the graphic does it for me.. 🤌🏻
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #27147 on: February 15, 2021, 04:16:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So...

Spitfire F4 Conical 54mm
Bones Swiss
[close]

[close]

Never got wheel bite.
[close]
I get a fair bit with the 54s, but nothing too serious. I run them a little loose though.
I'd rather be on 55s, or 56s, but that's in the no-no zone for the cast 149s when I've got them to where they're turning how I like them to. I sized up to the 151s a while back for that reason (they're a smidge taller), which in turn led me to wider decks, which then steered me down the Ace hole. I'm trying to burn through these last couple pairs of Thunders before giving Ace a try for a while.

Yeah I run my trucks pretty tight I'm told.

None the less im waiting to grind down these 149s and then giving ace a go. I think they would compliment my 14.5 wb.

I don't want to give into madness yet though until these thunders are done.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #27148 on: February 15, 2021, 05:38:51 AM »

Darkroom 8.75" 14.5" wb, another fight depression gripjob

Ace 55 no top washer, on 1/8" rubber risers

Swiss 6 / Spit F4 99a radial 53mm (from 58)

DC Crisis High, (for 5€ on Vinted...),  :D : thin grippy cup comparable to broken in blazers. Added Gamechangers though.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27149 on: February 15, 2021, 06:34:24 AM »

Darkroom 8.75" 14.5" wb, another fight depression gripjob

Ace 55 no top washer, on 1/8" rubber risers

Swiss 6 / Spit F4 99a radial 53mm (from 58)

DC Crisis High, (for 5€ on Vinted...),  :D : thin grippy cup comparable to broken in blazers. Added Gamechangers though.
drooling over those wheels
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo