Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4804841 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26970 on: January 30, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Clutch blank 8.25.  Red/Orange wood sprayed white
Ace 44s
Spitfire 52mm tablets
Swiss

really loving these tablets.  i think these are gonna be my go-to for a while

kinda feeling like going a little smaller than 8.25, but have got a few more blanks to get through first.  Anyone use Ace 44s with an 8.1 or should i go with 33s?
[close]
Thats a really nice setup. I love 33s on 8.1 and 8.25 decks..but I have never owned 44s to compare.
[close]
Idk how people do stickers of one company and ride another. You do you but vans sticker with nikes on would drive me crazy. Which is why i never put shoe brand stickers on boards so I can swap shoes in peace.

bruh, its a sticker.  who gives a shit. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #26971 on: January 30, 2021, 07:17:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Another one, just because.

BBS 8.5”/14.5” square tail sample, shape # unknown
Thunder Team Edition 149s w/ new plates
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 56mm, 99du
Bones Swiss
Mob grips
1” hardware (Roughneck?)
[close]

I was waiting to see if anyone else would ask about the one coloured wheel, but it seems no one did.

Buy four sets (three plain and one coloured set) and sub out the coloured wheel as per Lance Mountain or Jeff Grosso sets?

Funny cause I would do the opposite, buy four sets of the same and pull out the set of coloured wheels as their own set.

I noticed Jake Hayes did this recently too.

Pretty cool either way.  :)

For me, it’s aprop󳠴hat the modern spits that come in the 3/1 pack that I love are usually Lance or Grosso wheels, as those are exactly the dudes that inspired me to do it back in the day, and when possible, I still do it to this day (4 of my 6 current set ups are that way.)
Frequently, if a homey is hooking it up, I’ll request two of the same shape/size/duro, but in different colors. Swap one wheel from each set, and boom: 2x 3/1 sets.
I have also been known to request different colored sets of trucks so as to swap either 1 baseplate, or hanger, per set.
Again, dudes like Lance, Neil, Lucero, & Grosso influenced me heavily in my youth, and age be damned, I’m still that kid inside.
Asymmetry is my friend.
Sorry about bumming out the OCD folks out there.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26972 on: January 30, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »
Not a fan of clear grip, but your application of it on this deck is superb. Color combos are perfect.
Dueces Bitch's

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #26973 on: January 30, 2021, 07:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
Spitfire 52mm tablets
Swiss

kinda feeling like going a little smaller than 8.25, but have got a few more blanks to get through first.  Anyone use Ace 44s with an 8.1 or should i go with 33s?
[close]
Thats a really nice setup. I love 33s on 8.1 and 8.25 decks..but I have never owned 44s to compare.
[close]
Idk how people do stickers of one company and ride another. You do you but vans sticker with nikes on would drive me crazy. Which is why i never put shoe brand stickers on boards so I can swap shoes in peace.
[close]

bruh, its a sticker.  who gives a shit.

Well I think they give a shit, that’s why they pointed it out.
I also wouldn’t do it, but it does seem very self limiting. I also notice this more with older skaters not wanting to say....wear a lakai shirt with nikes, or whatever.
Back on track: the setup looks very clean, nice. I recently got some 33s on an 8”, and I am as stoked on it as I’ve been on a setup in a really long time. I don’t receive many benefits from wider trucks. Plus I really like the way 33s look.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26974 on: January 30, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
yeah, its a pretty weird thing to get hung up on.  maybe i should have a different setup for every different pair of shoes I wear?  don't think i'm getting photo incentive any time soon. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26975 on: January 30, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
yeah, its a pretty weird thing to get hung up on.  maybe i should have a different setup for every different pair of shoes I wear?  don't think i'm getting photo incentive any time soon.
You got "different set ups for every shoe you have" out of my comment? I just meant the sticker. But you do you. Hope you wear adidas track pants with those blazers while youre at it.

OMG youre kidding, you don't get incentives? Those 4 vans stickers made me think otherwise.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26976 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #26977 on: January 30, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Another one, just because.

BBS 8.5”/14.5” square tail sample, shape # unknown
Thunder Team Edition 149s w/ new plates
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 56mm, 99du
Bones Swiss
Mob grips
1” hardware (Roughneck?)
[close]

I was waiting to see if anyone else would ask about the one coloured wheel, but it seems no one did.

Buy four sets (three plain and one coloured set) and sub out the coloured wheel as per Lance Mountain or Jeff Grosso sets?

Funny cause I would do the opposite, buy four sets of the same and pull out the set of coloured wheels as their own set.

I noticed Jake Hayes did this recently too.

Pretty cool either way.  :)

[close]
For me, it’s aprop󳠴hat the modern spits that come in the 3/1 pack that I love are usually Lance or Grosso wheels, as those are exactly the dudes that inspired me to do it back in the day, and when possible, I still do it to this day (4 of my 6 current set ups are that way.)
Frequently, if a homey is hooking it up, I’ll request two of the same shape/size/duro, but in different colors. Swap one wheel from each set, and boom: 2x 3/1 sets.
I have also been known to request different colored sets of trucks so as to swap either 1 baseplate, or hanger, per set.
Again, dudes like Lance, Neil, Lucero, & Grosso influenced me heavily in my youth, and age be damned, I’m still that kid inside.
Asymmetry is my friend.

I would kill for those grosso 3+1’s. I saw Jake haze’s set up and it reminded me I should do it that way till they do another lifers wheel. God willing they still do a grosso wheel. But what really sealed the deal was on Lance’s insta he posted a clip and had the one colored wheel. It gets me every time.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #26978 on: January 30, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »

This might have to be my sig. Sums up SLAP pretty well in one quote, hahaha
Quote from: augustmoon

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26979 on: January 30, 2021, 11:07:10 PM »

Asymmetry is my friend.

It is just one of those things and skateboarding is all about personal preference.

What I prefer personally doesn't come into it for other peoples' setups, especially when I have set up all kinds of weird and wonderful boards in shops I have been working in.

I definitely get the influence thing too - Dan Drehobl for me with those bigger Spitfires and rode those things for years!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #26980 on: January 31, 2021, 01:09:52 AM »
Taking a break from brown bombers...also cross post from big boy thread...

10x31.5x14.5
Indy 159’s w/ bones hard bushings
OJ dressen 54mm (now 53mm) and bones big ball
Mob grip

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #26981 on: January 31, 2021, 02:56:23 AM »

10x31.5x14.5
Mob grip

Beautiful

Lol fucking amazing
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #26982 on: January 31, 2021, 04:50:07 AM »

10x31.5x14.5
Mob grip

@sammyz did you cut that grip job? The skinny 1/8" squiggly lines, the wide vert line, and the dipped board look immaculate. It's lovely.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26983 on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:22 AM »

10x31.5x14.5
Mob grip

I loved this board back in the day.  The green dip looks awesome.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26984 on: January 31, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
Spitfire 52mm tablets
Swiss

[close]
[close]
I totally feel you.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #26985 on: January 31, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »

@sammyz did you cut that grip job? The skinny 1/8" squiggly lines, the wide vert line, and the dipped board look immaculate. It's lovely.

Thanks mate...yeah did all that myself...been doing that grip job since the 80’s, when i was cool to do grip jobs!

Fhk

« Reply #26986 on: January 31, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
@augustmoon you gotta retake that picture with Van's on and all will be right in the universe :)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26987 on: January 31, 2021, 03:42:29 PM »

Chocolate G033 shape (8.5"x32", 14.25" WB)
Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

Not going to get to skate for a while because of the snow, but I wanted to set this up. I like the new crail wood and but have only skated the shapes and wanted to try a pop. Hyped to get out there once the snow goes.

I've been really into crooked grinds and haven't been happy with Ace or Indy so I put the Ventures on my last board and immediately loved them. Now I'm debating getting some 5.6s again. The madness doesn't end.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #26988 on: January 31, 2021, 04:50:27 PM »

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

Not going to get to skate for a while because of the snow, but I wanted to set this up. I like the new crail wood and but have only skated the shapes and wanted to try a pop. Hyped to get out there once the snow goes.

I've been really into crooked grinds and haven't been happy with Ace or Indy so I put the Ventures on my last board and immediately loved them. Now I'm debating getting some 5.6s again. The madness doesn't end.

Super clean setup, love the sticker job.

Fhk

« Reply #26989 on: January 31, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

Another beauty.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26990 on: January 31, 2021, 06:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

[close]
Another beauty.

8.5 x 32 x 14.25 sounds interesting, I'd be down to try a wider board with a shorter length and wheelbase.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #26991 on: January 31, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »
Ahhh that’s a nice one. The G033 is wonderful.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26992 on: January 31, 2021, 06:20:21 PM »
@augustmoon you gotta retake that picture with Van's on and all will be right in the universe :)

fixed it. 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #26993 on: January 31, 2021, 06:35:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fixed it.

Are you using enamel spray paint?
Are you painting indoors?
How many coats?
Is the finish smooth or slightly tacky?
Do you sand the factory lacquer finish before painting?

Interested in your process.

Also, I find it easier to spray if the boards are held vertically. I can get a thinner coat going.

Like the shape of the deck. Perfect.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26994 on: January 31, 2021, 06:50:31 PM »
thanks!

i've been using this, and I've gotta say its been working really well.  i'm not skilled with spraypaint whatsoever, and this stuff is really easy to work with.  i lay it out on a chair outside, and keep the can moving when i paint.  goes on nice and thick and scrapes off nice when it slides.  shitty chipping paint is a pet peeve of mine, which is why ive been going with the blanks + paint

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #26995 on: January 31, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »

Venture 5.8
50mm F4 classics
Habitat allen/Mob/Reds

8.5 with 5.6s are the way to go. even with 78a bushings you have to force wheelbite
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #26996 on: January 31, 2021, 07:04:43 PM »
thanks!

i've been using this, and I've gotta say its been working really well.  i'm not skilled with spraypaint whatsoever, and this stuff is really easy to work with.  i lay it out on a chair outside, and keep the can moving when i paint.  goes on nice and thick and scrapes off nice when it slides.  shitty chipping paint is a pet peeve of mine, which is why ive been going with the blanks + paint

I just read an article from This Old House on painting furniture and they recommend rustoleum also. They specify universal. Check the link out. Universal makes a clear coat to go over the paint. That might make it harder.

Painting outside in NO. Just pick a non-humid day or you will have an orange peel fest.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26997 on: January 31, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
for real about the humidity here (pun intended).  ive had bad luck in the past, but used this stuff for several boards, and also black flat for some boards and some bass drum hoops and haven't had any peel at all even on humid days

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #26998 on: January 31, 2021, 08:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fixed it.

Haha, sick

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #26999 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »
Just started snowing tonight so I had some extra time to put this Christmas complete together finally. First time buying a China deck but the dims were to my liking so I figured I try it out.

It's weird this deck is actually longer and fuller than my 8.25 Birdhouse but because it's squared off it looks smaller when side by side.

Creature Stumps 8.25
Thunder 147 Hollow Lights/Thunder Risers
Spitfire Classics 54mm
Andale Bearings T-Puds
Shortys 1in Hardware

Thinking of making a 3rd set up at some point this year with a PS Stix. To go along with this Creature and my current Birdhouse set ups.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:42:16 AM by CrimsonGhost »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.