Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786405 times)

Officer Caruthers, Brad Breath and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27720 on: April 09, 2021, 09:00:57 AM »

Kinda close to a christmas complete.
Real 8.3 TT Slick
Thunder 149 team editions with ace low bushings
Spitfire 54mm conical fulls
Quantum bearing Isotopes

Do the Ace Low help it turn?

I am on my 3rd 8.3 twin and I currently have 149 Thunder Ti on it.   I have skated the shape with Indy 149 Ti, Indy stage 8 146, Mini Logo 8.38 and the Thunder Ti.  The Thunders have been my least favorite - mainly because of the lack of turn -  with the Mini Logos and a 1/10th riser working the best for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #27721 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Big photos for a big boy! Curb Crusher that can still be nimble.

AWS 8.625"x31.7"x14.125" WB
159 Indy Forged hollow w/ACE low tops/reg bottoms+sleeved washers (snappy)
Riptide Cracked Ice pivot cups
97a 54mm spit conical fulls (two washers on the inside)
Bronson ceramics
MOB
Santa Cruz Slimline Rails
Nuts and Bolts

It looks more popsicle in photos than it feels once gripped; it could be the width but it is has a double shovel vibe going on. I am usually not a fan of large (long and full) noses but rounded but preferably squarish - full and on the shorter side, so this fits the bill. It has a symmetrical vibe going on as well (even tho it isn't).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:57:48 PM by Xen »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #27722 on: April 09, 2021, 02:45:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Kinda close to a christmas complete.
Real 8.3 TT Slick
Thunder 149 team editions with ace low bushings
Spitfire 54mm conical fulls
Quantum bearing Isotopes
[close]
Do the Ace Low help it turn?
I am on my 3rd 8.3 twin and I currently have 149 Thunder Ti on it.   I have skated the shape with Indy 149 Ti, Indy stage 8 146, Mini Logo 8.38 and the Thunder Ti.  The Thunders have been my least favorite - mainly because of the lack of turn -  with the Mini Logos and a 1/10th riser working the best for me.

They don't really turn faster. but they turn better if that makes sense? The bushings just feel better to me. Higher quality I guess
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:03:17 PM by Paperclip20 »

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #27723 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:16 PM »

Bronson ceramics
MOB
Nuts and Bolts

It looks more popsicle in photos than it feels once gripped; it could be the width but it is has a double shovel vibe going on. I am usually not a fan of large (long and full) noses but rounded but preferably squarish - full and on the shorter side, so this fits the bill. It has a symmetrical vibe going on as well (even tho it isn't).

Looks good. Im surprised the WB and length are so short for it being an 8.6
Their 8.125 and 8.25 also have the double shovel shapes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27724 on: April 09, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Bronson ceramics
MOB
Nuts and Bolts

[close]

Looks good. Im surprised the WB and length are so short for it being an 8.6
Their 8.125 and 8.25 also have the double shovel shapes

The WB and length are the main reasons I picked it up; wanted a wide board but not with a 14.5 WB and pushing 33"+ length which is what seems to happen as you go wider.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:45:31 AM by Xen »

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27725 on: April 09, 2021, 04:57:50 PM »
Goddamn that AWS looks nice. I was thinking anything above 8.375
was a no go from me, but the WB on this one has me thinking different. Hope you have some fun on that one @Xen
The chillest1

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27726 on: April 09, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »
was a no go from me, but the WB on this one has me thinking different. Hope you have some fun on that one @Xen

I used to feel the same way (I always skated 8.3s but wouldn't go bigger); occasionally I run an 8.5" popsicle if I was park skating on the regular but always felt 8.3s were the best all around size for park, bowls, street, etc., but I will skate shaped boards in big boy pant sizes because why not!

This thing is a different beast mash-up for sure (for me anyway).

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27727 on: April 09, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
been dying to try this shape but its near impossible to find one in covid times. thanks @Buttfart Rapedick for hooking it up, first setup in the new apartment. 3 inside washers until I can get my hands on some ti (or hollow) 5.8s

scumco kiddie pool 8.75/31.75/14.0 wb
venture 5.6 hollows w/riptides+flat washers
f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup
sb dunk lows/adidas tyshawns

hyped to move on from 8.5s, too cramped for my liking. this has just the right amount of heel hanging off at this width
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #27728 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:59 PM »
been dying to try this shape but its near impossible to find one in covid times. thanks @Buttfart Rapedick for hooking it up, first setup in the new apartment. 3 inside washers until I can get my hands on some ti (or hollow) 5.8s

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

hyped to move on from 8.5s, too cramped for my liking. this has just the right amount of heel hanging off at this width

Clean setup. I too am on the search for some hollow or titanium 5.8s swear they don’t exist right now

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #27729 on: April 09, 2021, 10:19:19 PM »
All these wideish boards with the nice short wheelbases have got me horny. Hope we start to see more of these out.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #27730 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

[close]

Clean setup. I too am on the search for some hollow or titanium 5.8s swear they don’t exist right now

It's weird.. when they do come out it seems like only a few places get them and they go super fast so they must not make many of them. I wish I had pulled the trigger on the 5.6 titanium last time I saw them but that was mid-pandemic so they were like $95 at the few shops I saw that had them.

Fhk

« Reply #27731 on: April 10, 2021, 05:42:40 AM »
Damn the WBSWB movement is spreading like wildfire  8)
I love mine and I love all of you that love them too.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #27732 on: April 10, 2021, 05:49:38 AM »
All these wideish boards with the nice short wheelbases have got me horny. Hope we start to see more of these out.

This

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #27733 on: April 10, 2021, 08:23:21 AM »

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

that shape seems insane holy smokes. Need to try one. Awesome set up

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #27734 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

I don't have hollow or tit but I have a brand new never skated pair of 5 8 thrasher colab ventures I'll trade for those 5.6

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27735 on: April 10, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »

First session and I love it! Didn't lose any flip tricks and gained Frontside Caballerials (no pivot) with absolute ease (along with some other tricks)

Slappies. Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years. Wider trucks and bigger wheels are waaaaaay better.

Perhaps I'm just a wide board guy now and trying to force myself down to under 8.25" for the past few years was an effort in futility.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #27736 on: April 10, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First session and I love it! Didn't lose any flip tricks and gained Frontside Caballerials (no pivot) with absolute ease (along with some other tricks)

Slappies. Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years. Wider trucks and bigger wheels are waaaaaay better.

Perhaps I'm just a wide board guy now and trying to force myself down to under 8.25" for the past few years was an effort in futility.

Love to read it! Might have to give this big boy a shot. Loved feeling comfy on a bigger board, but always had a hard time flipping it. Thanks for the update!
The chillest1

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27737 on: April 10, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
Kickflips took a little bit of extra effort at first but I got used it, I thinks it’s more the weight of the board than the width. Impossibles were a little slower but everything else was normal. The front (full) cabs sold me...I can do them pretty well but not like today’s successes...started throwing in bigger heels and I was getting really close.

Also, I rip on Indy a lot but I’ll be damned if these 159s in this configuration/ bushing setup didn’t feel on point...and coming off tensor I was ready for the grind struggle but the ease of getting on and locking in helped extend the grinds just not as far as the mags...and I was slipping out.

Everything about it is just easy and comfy.

Better hurry, I just picked up two more; tactics has one left.

I picked up a bunch of 8.18” recently now I’m stuck with them ;)

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #27738 on: April 10, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »
Kickflips took a little bit of extra effort at first but I got used it, I thinks it’s more the weight of the board than the width. Impossibles were a little slower but everything else was normal. The front (full) cabs sold me...I can do them pretty well but not like today’s successes...started throwing in bigger heels and I was getting really close.

Also, I rip on Indy a lot but I’ll be damned if these 159s in this configuration/ bushing setup didn’t feel on point...and coming off tensor I was ready for the grind struggle but the ease of getting on and locking in helped extend the grinds just not as far as the mags...and I was slipping out.

Everything about it is just easy and comfy.

Better hurry, I just picked up two more; tactics has one left.

I picked up a bunch of 8.18” recently now I’m stuck with them ;)

Haha I can relate. I have 3 8.25s right now and have been thinking of going for a wider boy, especially for park skating.

I don't usually go through tactics but thanks for the heads up! I'm on medical leave right now, but once I'm back to work, and not living off disability I'm gonna definitely invest. Hopefully the place I go through (mum's the word but you can probably easily find who if you go through my post history) has these bad boys. Thanks again Xen!
The chillest1

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #27739 on: April 10, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
Anti hero 8.1 x 31.38 14”wb
Thunder 148
Prize fighter 52
Reds
Jessup
Allen bronze

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #27740 on: April 10, 2021, 09:09:58 PM »
my dumb ass left my last one in the store

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNets9bFe0f/

pass~port 8.25
thunder 148s with bones mediums.. couldn't skate them stock as i tried for a few hours then can't find any thunder 95 bushings so i got the bones ones, not bad
f4 53 99a classics
bones reds
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27741 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »
thanks for the appreciation pals, loving this setup. keep asking for WBSWB style decks and the companies will answer, have seen a couple more around after the thread went up.

let them know theres a market waiting to be tapped!
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

stebe

« Reply #27742 on: April 11, 2021, 03:14:43 AM »
my dumb ass left my last one in the store

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNets9bFe0f/

pass~port 8.25
thunder 148s with bones mediums.. couldn't skate them stock as i tried for a few hours then can't find any thunder 95 bushings so i got the bones ones, not bad
f4 53 99a classics
bones reds

extremely tasteful

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #27743 on: April 11, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »
thanks! first pass port in ages! took a bit to get used to as ive riden dlx boards the last two years.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #27744 on: April 12, 2021, 06:07:00 AM »

caved in and set up a new one even though I didn't need to.

Polar 9in popsicle
Ace 55
Conical Full 56
Redz
Jessup
Proverbs 27:17

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #27745 on: April 12, 2021, 06:20:39 AM »

caved in and set up a new one even though I didn't need to.

Polar 9in popsicle
Ace 55
Conical Full 56
Redz
Jessup

God damn, this is a perfect popsicle set up, in my opinion.

Tangentially related, can we get some more Dane footage? I’m dying for some new shit from him. I know he was in the polar rico video from 2019 but I think that’s the last shit he’s been in?
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #27746 on: April 12, 2021, 06:39:30 AM »
@Surf The Earth  yep perfect popsicle set up. Ran something similar with the previous season polar 9” pop. How do you like it? No risers?

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #27747 on: April 12, 2021, 06:48:56 AM »

Hockey AA 8.25
Indy Ti 149 with bones hards
F4 conical fulls 55mm
bones swiss

First Hockey/FA shape. Takes some getting used to but love it so far, would reccomend.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:14:23 AM by MalHuis »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #27748 on: April 12, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »

God damn, this is a perfect popsicle set up, in my opinion.

Tangentially related, can we get some more Dane footage? I’m dying for some new shit from him. I know he was in the polar rico video from 2019 but I think that’s the last shit he’s been in?
There’s a pretty sick photo of him in the Mason SOTY Thrasher. Gave me hope that there’s something coming soon.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #27749 on: April 12, 2021, 09:26:37 AM »
@Surf The Earth  yep perfect popsicle set up. Ran something similar with the previous season polar 9” pop. How do you like it? No risers?

No im rockin some 1/8th generic risers. One sesh in, and I love it. I was on the Dane1 which was super fun but that extremely short WB got squirly at times, and since im mostly hittin transition the 14.5 wb is a lil more stable. I will be throwing some 159 ti i have on the dane 1 cuz Im not ready to be done with it. I also have the new 1991 on ice and it's supposed to be right in between the Dane1 and the Pop as far as wheelbase goes which might be perfect. Ive been riding shaped decks for over a year so it feels nice to go back to a popsicle with a fat nose
Proverbs 27:17