Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4806955 times)

fur lined sea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 234
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #28230 on: May 31, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »
Getting to the bottom of my pile. Some older boards I'm stoked to finally skate.

Northern Co Matt Town 8"
Venture 5.6s w/ Loopholes
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28231 on: May 31, 2021, 09:05:50 PM »
First set up as a european. Ran out of crushed stickers before I left the states, so I'm back to repping NJ I guess

Polar Nick Boserio 8.625
Ace classic 55s with extra speed rings on the inside
Loop hole 56 V cuts
Quantum Isotopes
Bronze

you're going to love that setup! my loophole 56mm are my fav wheels ever

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #28232 on: May 31, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
Quantum Isotopes
Really curious about these. I’m a basic Bones Reds bitch atm, but of the Quantum’s are good I feel like they’re a better value than Bones Swiss.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #28233 on: May 31, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Quantum Isotopes
[close]
Really curious about these. I’m a basic Bones Reds bitch atm, but of the Quantum’s are good I feel like they’re a better value than Bones Swiss.
It’s been a little while since I rode Swiss and it’s still not been long enough to see how their longevity compares but I’m maybe a month in to my Isotopes with short sessions nearly every day and they just keep getting faster. I skate mainly on kinda chunky asphalt with lots of debris and I notice the difference mostly on the roll-away from tricks. Like even if my landing is off, my momentum carries more effortlessly through the roll away. I can kind of just land on the board without also having to manage my weight to stay on top of a slow or sketchy landing.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #28234 on: June 01, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quantum Isotopes
[close]
[close]
It’s been a little while since I rode Swiss and it’s still not been long enough to see how their longevity compares but I’m maybe a month in to my Isotopes with short sessions nearly every day and they just keep getting faster. I skate mainly on kinda chunky asphalt with lots of debris and I notice the difference mostly on the roll-away from tricks. Like even if my landing is off, my momentum carries more effortlessly through the roll away. I can kind of just land on the board without also having to manage my weight to stay on top of a slow or sketchy landing.

I just went from swiss to quantum atoms and I agree with what's mentioned above.  I'm about a month in and the atoms keep getting faster/I've had absolutely no issue.  If the atoms are reflective of the rest of their bearings, I'd definitely recommend giving any quantum bearings a shot

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #28235 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:22 PM »
Appreciate it, guys.  Love to hear this stuff.

We’re getting them into a handful of shops, here and there, but I think there’s still a lot of skepticism.  Especially here in the US.

Having skaters vouch for them and shop owners actually riding them, themselves, is what’s made the biggest difference.

We’re thinking it may take something like a big name to make people come around.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #28236 on: June 01, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quantum Isotopes
[close]
[close]
[close]

I just went from swiss to quantum atoms and I agree with what's mentioned above.  I'm about a month in and the atoms keep getting faster/I've had absolutely no issue.  If the atoms are reflective of the rest of their bearings, I'd definitely recommend giving any quantum bearings a shot

Thank you both for the input. I’ve Ben rolling reds for a month or so now and I don’t really get the hype. They’re certainly better than other $20 bearings, but they’re finicky to me. Great in some wheels, no better than cheap stuff in others. Definitely don’t mind jumping up a little in price, but figured maybe not with Bones.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28237 on: June 01, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
I’ve Ben rolling reds for a month or so now and I don’t really get the hype. Great in some wheels, no better than cheap stuff in others.
Bearings aren't good in some wheels and not good in others....

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #28238 on: June 01, 2021, 01:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve Ben rolling reds for a month or so now and I don’t really get the hype. Great in some wheels, no better than cheap stuff in others.
[close]
Bearings aren't good in some wheels and not good in others....
I’m beginning to see that. I have a set of mini logo that feel great no matter what are in em. Then I have wheels the reds don’t like.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28239 on: June 01, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »
first dwindle board. if the wood is anything like pennswood ill snag a couple more in this shape

creature jawn gardner 8.8/31.4/14.0
venture 5.6 hollows w/riptides+flat washers
f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup ultra
sb dunk lows and highs
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #28240 on: June 01, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »
first dwindle board. if the wood is anything like pennswood ill snag a couple more in this shape

I personally dig the wood and the shape. But grab these shapes while you can. They're Jawn's custom shape, so they're not readily available like his other pro board which is their 8.5 Stumps shape with his graphic on it.

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #28241 on: June 02, 2021, 05:58:36 AM »
Polar 8.5
Ace AF1 55
Bones 100's
Bones Swiss
Last Resort vm001 high canvas

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #28242 on: June 02, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote

This eagle was supposed to be an 8.12, but it’s actually an 8.25
[close]

That is crazy!

I feel like the graphic has changed somewhat too, as I had a million of the 8.12 black eagles and it looks different nowdays to my older ones.

They were 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb, so is that the standard 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 or something else?

Not a worry if you are not into measuring all dimensions, but just curious.
@Mbrimson88 i meant to measure this a few days ago, but life got in the way

It’s 32.38” long and the wheelbase is 14.1”

I have a few more 8.12’s left, but I’m leaning towards switching it up and going with an 8.25 as my my preferred size once I go through them
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28243 on: June 02, 2021, 11:39:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This eagle was supposed to be an 8.12, but it’s actually an 8.25
[close]

That is crazy!

I feel like the graphic has changed somewhat too, as I had a million of the 8.12 black eagles and it looks different nowdays to my older ones.

They were 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb, so is that the standard 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 or something else?

Not a worry if you are not into measuring all dimensions, but just curious.
[close]
@Mbrimson88 i meant to measure this a few days ago, but life got in the way

It’s 32.38” long and the wheelbase is 14.1”

I have a few more 8.12’s left, but I’m leaning towards switching it up and going with an 8.25 as my my preferred size once I go through them

Ha yeah, life gets in the way a bit for me too.

Those dimensions sound more like an Alien Workshop deck I had, longer board, shorter wheelbase, but that is strange.

Thanks for the info too!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #28244 on: June 03, 2021, 04:11:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I personally dig the wood and the shape. But grab these shapes while you can. They're Jawn's custom shape, so they're not readily available like his other pro board which is their 8.5 Stumps shape with his graphic on it.
wood is solid but the shape might be too short for my legs (36+ inseam). have to choke up so much to level anything out. gonna ride it into the ground but never going that short again, it doesnt feel natural at all
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #28245 on: June 03, 2021, 09:33:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
wood is solid but the shape might be too short for my legs (36+ inseam). have to choke up so much to level anything out. gonna ride it into the ground but never going that short again, it doesnt feel natural at all

Feels natural for me. Then again, I'm a <30 inseam.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #28246 on: June 03, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »

Habitat Austyn Gillette 8.25 with a length at 31.5 measured tip to tip and a 14.5 WB
Thunder 148 with Ace low bushings and flat bones washers on top.
Spitfire 54mm 101d conical fulls with quantum Isotope bearings 

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #28247 on: June 03, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »
Polar 8.5
Ace AF1 55
Bones 100's
Bones Swiss

What shape are those bones? v4 or v5?

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #28248 on: June 03, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »
^ very cool set up man I like how the jeans and shoes also compliment it! Shalom

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #28249 on: June 03, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Feels natural for me. Then again, I'm a <30 inseam.
had a change of heart today and will take it apart tomorrow, feels like a waste of time trying to adjust. the shape itself is small but my mind cant get over the twin tails.

scoured jawns footy and didnt see a single clip of him riding the shape himself, he looks no taller than 5'4. me as a lamppost shouldnt even bother.

if you are interested and live in the us, pm me. ready to take my deserved L and move on

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #28250 on: June 04, 2021, 01:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Polar 8.5
Ace AF1 55
Bones 100's
Bones Swiss

[close]

What shape are those bones? v4 or v5?

They're the v5's

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #28251 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:53 AM »

Hockey Allen 8.25x14.12wb
Indy forged hollow 144 (stock)
SML V-cut AG formula 53mm
Mix of Swiss and Reds
Bronze 56k Hardware
Mob grip
Adidas Stan smith’s

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #28252 on: June 04, 2021, 08:23:33 AM »

Another M1 8.25 14" WB
Venture 5.6
Spit f4 OG classic 99s in 58mm
Swiss bones
Props, unc. Do you skate large wheels for economics, functionality, or what? I skate like 57s only to ware em down to like 50s, plus skate crusty ditches. Also any risers?
Whoa. Danger.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #28253 on: June 04, 2021, 11:59:03 AM »
Set up a new cruiser today
Quasi pool man 8.875 14” WB
F4 97a conical full
Venture 5.8 standards
Swiss
Jessup

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #28254 on: June 04, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
F4 97a conical full
Venture 5.8 standards
Swiss
Jessup

Oh man, love everything about this one. Curious to hear how it feels

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #28255 on: June 04, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »
F4 97a conical full
Venture 5.8 standards
Swiss
Jessup

I regret not buying more of these. Such a fun shape

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #28256 on: June 04, 2021, 07:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
F4 97a conical full
Venture 5.8 standards
Swiss
Jessup
[close]

I took it to this shitty park today and really like the board a lot, did a few kick flips and nollie flips and felt great. Only thing throwing me off was the wheels, they’re huge for me (usually on 52mm classics). I feel like I will get used to them, set this up to mainly just cruise the crusty roads in my neighborhood, May end up skating this setup a bit more than I anticipated. I also kinda regret not buying 2 of the board, I can already tell I’m going to love it. Maybe they will do more boards in this shape each drop.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #28257 on: June 04, 2021, 08:23:27 PM »
New wheels and deck:

- Studio 8.125 (control wood shape S15) 8.125x31.625 14.25WB 6.5T 6.75N
- thunder 149s and 1/8 risers
- SML 54mm "wide" shape AG formula (just came off v-cut 53s and its been years since I tried a skinny wheel, almost didn't believe they were 54s)
- bones big balls (prototypes)
- jessup 4L

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #28258 on: June 04, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »
Most recent Solstice shop deck, 8.5, 14.25wb. Not sure of the woodshop because I didn't ask, but this one had a 5 stamped up on the top ply. This is the  most "mellow" stick I've stood on in a long, long time. feels pretty flat and the kicks aren't steep at all. I'll see how I like it when I skate tmrw

solstice shop deck
Real Wooden Risers
Indy Hollow 159
PFC 53mm
Quantum Isotopes (with a fresh coat of lubricant that has the shit spinning nice)
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #28259 on: June 04, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
F4 97a conical full
Venture 5.8 standards
Swiss
Jessup
[close]

[close]

I took it to this shitty park today and really like the board a lot, did a few kick flips and nollie flips and felt great. Only thing throwing me off was the wheels, they’re huge for me (usually on 52mm classics). I feel like I will get used to them, set this up to mainly just cruise the crusty roads in my neighborhood, May end up skating this setup a bit more than I anticipated. I also kinda regret not buying 2 of the board, I can already tell I’m going to love it. Maybe they will do more boards in this shape each drop.
What size wheels did you use? My 54mm 97a do feel heavier than 99a but maybe that's in my head
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.