Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786496 times)

The.Skate.Father

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32400 on: November 25, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

Love the 6.1s on a 8.38 that was my last setup!
[close]

Best setup I've had in a while. The 6.1s are quite surfy since I
replaced the crumbled bushings with bones medium.

Yuh that one. I did top bushings on top and bottom makes it nice and loose
Just call me Daddy.

GrapeApeAffe

• Rep: 8
« Reply #32401 on: November 25, 2022, 09:21:15 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those dipped wheels are really sick! What kind of dye did you use?
[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.

Use Rit Dyemore, it’s for synthetics. 

If you want to dye the whole wheel rit has a tutorial
https://www.ritdye.com/2021/01/18/how-to-dye-roller-skate-wheels/

If you want to do half again, just mix the whole bottle with a pot of boiled water.   Then put it in your container and let it sit for a day to ensure the dye takes

Regular Rit dye does work but it takes weeks.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #32402 on: November 26, 2022, 04:10:26 AM »
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Spitfire 52mm F4 99 classics
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #32403 on: November 26, 2022, 08:31:30 AM »
Real Full 8.3 (added top pic in case you want to see the shape)
5.8 V Lights showing a little axle
New 51mm Big Heads

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #32404 on: November 26, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »

My second Ishod 8.5 twin tail, after Roman number I, this is IV - curious to see the difference w/ Jessup (a first for me, coming from many sheets of Miles, but I got the Jessup for free with the board so why not set it up);

Indy 149 hollows - recently a nut came loose so I might have to change them shortly, I have some forged hollows on ice but did not want to set up a Christmas complete if I can avoid it, they have such a lovely crooked groove just now;

Spitfire classics 52mm from that crazy Bonkers sale for EUR 18 w/ Bones Swiss 6 Balls;

Diamond 7/8 Allen bolts.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

eSK3

« Reply #32405 on: November 26, 2022, 10:58:40 AM »
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

This is my next deck. The DIMS are right what I’m looking for these days.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #32406 on: November 27, 2022, 01:05:07 AM »
New 51mm Big Heads

Are all the Reall full boards that square? Been searching for a square deck since my buddy bought a Pizza deck with that shape. Love it, but hate the pizza graphics. How does it feel? The pizza deck is 8.25, but due to the shape feels ( and looks) like a 8.5 at least. Feels very stable and secure!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32407 on: November 27, 2022, 04:56:57 PM »
A couple new ones. Sort of a cross post with the quiver thread, go check out my current full collection in that one.

Atlas 8.5”, thunder 149s I left on a board in Philly from when I was stranded over there during the first 4 months of covid, nfg 52mm teardrops, reds, jessup, pig neon bolts with one black bolt

Habitat 8”, venture v hollow 5.2 lows, spitfire lil smokies f4 50mm 99a tablets, reds, jessup, random bolts i had lying around

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32408 on: November 27, 2022, 05:00:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those dipped wheels are really sick! What kind of dye did you use?
[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.
[close]

Use Rit Dyemore, it’s for synthetics. 

If you want to dye the whole wheel rit has a tutorial
https://www.ritdye.com/2021/01/18/how-to-dye-roller-skate-wheels/

If you want to do half again, just mix the whole bottle with a pot of boiled water.   Then put it in your container and let it sit for a day to ensure the dye takes

Regular Rit dye does work but it takes weeks.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try that next time.

A quick note about these wheels, check out how the dye didn’t soak past the graphic, it ended up leaving a cool shadow. Definitely leaving the graphic on again next time I dye a set

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32409 on: November 27, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
A couple new ones. Sort of a cross post with the quiver thread, go check out my current full collection in that one.

Atlas 8.5”, thunder 149s I left on a board in Philly from when I was stranded over there during the first 4 months of covid, nfg 52mm teardrops, reds, jessup, pig neon bolts with one black bolt

Habitat 8”, venture v hollow 5.2 lows, spitfire lil smokies f4 50mm 99a tablets, reds, jessup, random bolts i had lying around

Those lil smokie tablets are cursed as hell. they look crazy with the entire axle nut hanging out. What will you use this set up for, ledges??

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #32410 on: November 27, 2022, 07:16:30 PM »

Hopps/Quartersnacks 8.25
Indy's with inverted kingpin baseplates
Spit f4 Tablets 52mm
Gilbert His

had the Indy's lying around.  I got them on sale but they had blue baseplates, and they were annoying the hell out of me so I got the inverted kingpin baseplates.  defeated the savings from the sale and then some.  also got the board on sale.  bought a bunch of 8.25s, but now I want to move up to 8.38.  this is the last one i've gotta run through before bumping up.  don't buy shit on sale just cause its cheap, you might end up sitting on shit you don't want anymore. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32411 on: November 27, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »

Hopps/Quartersnacks 8.25
Indy's with inverted kingpin baseplates
Spit f4 Tablets 52mm
Gilbert His

had the Indy's lying around.  I got them on sale but they had blue baseplates, and they were annoying the hell out of me so I got the inverted kingpin baseplates.  defeated the savings from the sale and then some.  also got the board on sale.  bought a bunch of 8.25s, but now I want to move up to 8.38.  this is the last one i've gotta run through before bumping up.  don't buy shit on sale just cause its cheap, you might end up sitting on shit you don't want anymore. 

Nah, I just keep the shit around till my next bout of madness tells me to size down from 8.38 to 8.25
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #32412 on: November 27, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those lil smokie tablets are cursed as hell. they look crazy with the entire axle nut hanging out. What will you use this set up for, ledges??

Yeah after my first session skating this, I can say the tablets are weird. I’m going to switch them out for my 48mm lil smokies on my other board. I’ll use this setup for whatever, short of skating vert. I like the feel of this one, it’s good for like 90% of my skating. Even transition feels good on it for some reason. I like the quick snap that forged venture lows provide.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #32413 on: November 28, 2022, 06:00:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah after my first session skating this, I can say the tablets are weird. I’m going to switch them out for my 48mm lil smokies on my other board. I’ll use this setup for whatever, short of skating vert. I like the feel of this one, it’s good for like 90% of my skating. Even transition feels good on it for some reason. I like the quick snap that forged venture lows provide.

That setup looks very good. The skinny wheels…I used to swear by this (early 2000s), makes the board feel so crispy and light. Definitely not as fast on the skreets, but flip trick benefits are noticeable

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #32414 on: November 28, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
Expand Quote
New 51mm Big Heads

[close]

Are all the Reall full boards that square? Been searching for a square deck since my buddy bought a Pizza deck with that shape. Love it, but hate the pizza graphics. How does it feel? The pizza deck is 8.25, but due to the shape feels ( and looks) like a 8.5 at least. Feels very stable and secure!
I have a full Real 8.5 which seems much more square than this one. I prefer this “full” shape over the full 8.5, but not by much. I really like this deck! Feels nimble yet stable.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #32415 on: November 28, 2022, 06:37:57 PM »
Blank 8.25
Blank 52mm wheels
Bones Swiss
Tensor 5.5 mag light
Mob grip (rainbow thrasher)
Assorted hardware

Ccs blank which I want to say is bbs, but there’s no identification other than the top notch. Its identical shape to the birdhouse on the left.

The Dgk board on the right, is more of a cautionary tale. The lenticular decks look sick, but they’re heavy. Just the deck and thunders weighs about the same as my whole setup. Also I swear the pop went soft on me. These made in china, but I also hated riding after like 2 weeks so I could have been making up excuses in my head to switch It out.

First day on the new setup was amazing

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #32416 on: November 29, 2022, 08:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

[close]

I feel ya, I’ve been riding the dlx 8.28 for awhile now but wanted the extra width so this was a no brainer. Set this up went outside did one Ollie and a kickflip instantly went inside and ordered another from the local. This board just feels right.

threequartercab

• Rep: 4
« Reply #32417 on: November 30, 2022, 02:58:27 AM »
I only skate the winners baby!

Gold Wheels
Silver Trucks
Bronze Hardware

the rest does not matter

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #32418 on: November 30, 2022, 09:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

[close]

[close]

I feel ya, I’ve been riding the dlx 8.28 for awhile now but wanted the extra width so this was a no brainer. Set this up went outside did one Ollie and a kickflip instantly went inside and ordered another from the local. This board just feels right.

How do you like the size difference between your deck and trucks? I have some AF-1 44s and I’m thinking about grabbing this deck next. Love the setup!

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #32419 on: November 30, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

Hockey 8.25"
Indy 149 hollows
1/8" Indy risers
99 F4 conical full

Looks like it hotrods but it really doesn't. Trying to get of shaped decks and just skate 8.25" - 8.5" popsicles.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #32420 on: November 30, 2022, 03:45:29 PM »
U left out the part where the wheels are like 64mm heh

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #32421 on: November 30, 2022, 04:53:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

[close]

[close]

[close]

How do you like the size difference between your deck and trucks? I have some AF-1 44s and I’m thinking about grabbing this deck next. Love the setup!

I have no problems and actually prefer a little magic carpet on my set up. You can always give it a go and if you find it a little strange just put a few extra washers in on the inside to bring the wheels out a little more.

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #32422 on: November 30, 2022, 05:07:57 PM »
U left out the part where the wheels are like 64mm heh

60s, bro.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #32423 on: December 03, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »

set up a new deck and it started snowing lol

studio 8.25 x 32 x 14.25
venture 5.8
old spitfire f4 55mm 99a classics (probably 48s now, i was on pig wheels but they were too slippery for indoor parks)
skf skate bearings
jessup
pig prime hardware allen 7/8
skate old skools
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #32424 on: December 03, 2022, 11:33:29 PM »

White like Christmas.
Re-Do enjoi 8.5
149 ti
Radials and Swiss

Jessup but I don’t have any idea why I did that, shits already peeling

oliknight

« Reply #32425 on: December 05, 2022, 06:55:35 AM »

Holy shit, this is it.
I have been suffering from the board madness over the past year, I love skating lots of different shapes, Chris Atherton, Gonz and Chico Brenes always inspired that
But I always wanted a nice all rounder and this definitely feels like it, skated this a bunch over the past few days (photo post-use, for the record haha) and it’s just perfect for everything, wide and comfortable, flips really nice and all the dimensions feel great!

Pass-port spade shape (im not sure what the dimensions are, all sites seem to be different)
In this picture I have 58mm spitfire radial fulls but I switched them for Spitfire Jeff Carlyle 60mm 97A (that extra bit of softness makes the world of difference)
149 indy titanium (balances out the weight of the fat wheels

Happy fella.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:51:39 AM by oliknight »

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #32426 on: December 05, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »

Holy shit, this is it.
I have been suffering from the board madness over the past year, I love skating lots of different shapes, Chris Atherton, Gonz and Chico Brenes always inspired that
But I always wanted a nice all rounder and this definitely feels like it, skated this a bunch over the past few days (photo post-use, for the record haha) and it’s just perfect for everything, wide and comfortable, flips really nice and all the dimensions feel great!

Pass-port spade shape (im not sure what the dimensions are, all sites seem to be different)
Spitfire Jeff Carlyle 60mm 97A (that extra bit of softness makes the world of difference)

Happy fella.

Awesome Board and Graphic!

This should be a Spade shape. 8.875/ 31.5, WB 14.5
https://www.passportal.com/pages/deck-size-guide

oliknight

« Reply #32427 on: December 05, 2022, 09:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Holy shit, this is it.

Spitfire Jeff Carlyle 60mm 97A (that extra bit of softness makes the world of difference)

Happy fella.
[close]

Awesome Board and Graphic!

This should be a Spade shape. 8.875/ 31.5, WB 14.5
https://www.passportal.com/pages/deck-size-guide

Ahhh yeah, cheers for that! Surely that’s correct with it being their site hahah
So many shops have it listed at 9.1 and 14.25 WB
And there are a bunch of other measurements out there, not sure how people have got it so wrong..

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #32428 on: December 05, 2022, 10:30:33 AM »
Spades are a fun time, I’ve got one set up collecting a bit of dust for now but I bust it out for times when I need to foot space

oliknight

« Reply #32429 on: December 05, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
Spades are a fun time, I’ve got one set up collecting a bit of dust for now but I bust it out for times when I need to foot space

For sure, I do get the fear a bit that they’ll stop making them haha
Might stockpile a bunch.