Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4808061 times)

sweet son of a bitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33180 on: March 29, 2023, 09:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote

Set this up as a placeholder until the new sob story sample boards come in (it's the closest BBS made deck with similar specs that I could find). The nose & tail are a hair longer than my sweet spot (7"/6.625"), but I'm pretty stoked overall with how it skates. Also, after bouncing around with different trucks, I'm back on Thunders and I think I may have finally found an end to my madness after setting them up with a Venture loose trucks top bushing & RipTide pivot cups ;D
  • 8.75"x32.75" Heated Wheel (14.25" wb / 7.25" nose / 7" tail)
  • Jessup Ultra grip
  • Thunder 7/8" allen hardware
  • Thunder Team 161's (stock bottom bushing / Venture loose trucks top bushing / RipTide pivot cups)
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire 99a F4 Classic 55's
[close]

This is the platonic ideal skateboard
Curious why you would put venture top bushing? I guess I put dlx bushings in my thunders so maybes it’s the same thing.
Also this deck looks rad. I admire how clean it looks without stickers. I have to load mine up with stickers.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #33181 on: March 30, 2023, 12:45:29 AM »

free https image hosting

Hockey nik stain shape 8.44
ventures w ace bushings
spitfire 58mm
dlx wooden risers
jessup

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33182 on: March 30, 2023, 04:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Set this up as a placeholder until the new sob story sample boards come in (it's the closest BBS made deck with similar specs that I could find). The nose & tail are a hair longer than my sweet spot (7"/6.625"), but I'm pretty stoked overall with how it skates. Also, after bouncing around with different trucks, I'm back on Thunders and I think I may have finally found an end to my madness after setting them up with a Venture loose trucks top bushing & RipTide pivot cups ;D
  • Jessup Ultra grip
  • Thunder Team 161's (stock bottom bushing / Venture loose trucks top bushing / RipTide pivot cups)
  • Bones Swiss
[close]

[close]
Curious why you would put venture top bushing? I guess I put dlx bushings in my thunders so maybes it’s the same thing.
Also this deck looks rad. I admire how clean it looks without stickers. I have to load mine up with stickers.

The Venture "loose trucks conversion" kit has a low top bushing, so you can have the kingpin nut down a lot more and still have way more turn to the trucks, which is the idea behind the product / kit.  Indy and other brands have had this in the past, of which I bought a lot so I would never run out, but overall the use of low top bushings seems to have faded out with fewer low trucks on the market nowdays.

We used to cut down our top bushings (and still do in some cases) to give more clearance and or more turn and I definitely find the low heads on bushings a lot easier to use when trucks get well worn or I need a lower kingpin head.

For reference:

https://venturetrucks.net/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #33183 on: March 30, 2023, 05:33:06 AM »
So you couldn’t get your thunders loose enough with stock bushings?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #33184 on: March 30, 2023, 08:56:32 AM »

Krooked Mandy 8.12
Venture HI’s
Sml 53mm Chris Jones
Quantum Atoms
Miles grip
Bender 7/8 Allens
Dc Manteca 4

Feels good to be back on a Krooked

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33185 on: March 30, 2023, 05:07:51 PM »
Something “just right “ about DLX 8.12, what size Ventures @MOE SYZLAK ?
Also this reminds me to get some Mantecas, I’ve been wanting them since the rerelease.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #33186 on: March 30, 2023, 06:15:24 PM »
Something “just right “ about DLX 8.12, what size Ventures @MOE SYZLAK ?
Also this reminds me to get some Mantecas, I’ve been wanting them since the rerelease.
Get ya some Mantecas!

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #33187 on: March 30, 2023, 10:41:48 PM »
Beater/rain/rough ground/etc setup, and regular setup

Powell flight 243(fuller shape 8.25", measures 8.38")
Vicious extra coarse grip
AF1 hollow 55's(8.5")
F4 conical full 97a 54mm
Reds no shields
Modus 7/8" Allen

Powell flight 243(originally planned on spraypainting this one too, but in a weird way I kinda dig it?)
Jessup
AF1 standard 55's
F4 classics 99a 54mm
Swiss 6 no shields
Modus 7/8" allen

Shoe situation is settled for the whole summer

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #33188 on: March 31, 2023, 01:22:20 AM »
Beater/rain/rough ground/etc setup, and regular setup

Powell flight 243(fuller shape 8.25", measures 8.38")
Vicious extra coarse grip
AF1 hollow 55's(8.5")
F4 conical full 97a 54mm
Reds no shields
Modus 7/8" Allen

Powell flight 243(originally planned on spraypainting this one too, but in a weird way I kinda dig it?)
Jessup
AF1 standard 55's
F4 classics 99a 54mm
Swiss 6 no shields
Modus 7/8" allen

Shoe situation is settled for the whole summer

Shoe situation won't be settled after that Vicious grip.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #33189 on: March 31, 2023, 02:14:51 AM »
I'm in Alaska, I have some other shoes that i use with my snowskate that I'll use for that setup. There's still snow everywhere and in the fall I had muddy ass grip, I've had this grip on an old 10" board before, and it kinda "breaks in" after a bit if that makes any sense. So I figured it would be rad for the spring so my shit isn't all slippery like it was in the fall, plus I can use it for gnarly spots idk I like it

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #33190 on: March 31, 2023, 08:30:58 AM »

Cross posting this from the small boards safe space as I'm so pumped for this setup
Got a custom 7.63 board pressed through Old School Skateboard Co.

7.63 - 14in wheelbase
Venture Lo 5.0, Destructo medium bottom bushing Venture top.
Spitfire Leo Baker classics worn down to like 50mm
Quantum Atoms
Shorty's Black Magic
Modus hardware 1inch allen

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #33191 on: March 31, 2023, 09:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

• Jessup Ultra grip
  • Bones Swiss
[close]

[close]
[close]

The Venture "loose trucks conversion" kit has a low top bushing, so you can have the kingpin nut down a lot more and still have way more turn to the trucks, which is the idea behind the product / kit.  Indy and other brands have had this in the past, of which I bought a lot so I would never run out, but overall the use of low top bushings seems to have faded out with fewer low trucks on the market nowdays.

We used to cut down our top bushings (and still do in some cases) to give more clearance and or more turn and I definitely find the low heads on bushings a lot easier to use when trucks get well worn or I need a lower kingpin head.

For reference:

https://venturetrucks.net/

You beat me to it haha. I run my trucks fairly loose and with the top loose truck kit bushing I can have my kingpin nut fully engaged on the kingpin with no threat of the nut unthreading itself. $7 is a worthwhile investment to avoid slicing your fingers up while cutting the top bushing down. Also, another plus is the kingpin nut will inadvertently sit lower and give a bit more grind clearance for smiths.
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #33192 on: March 31, 2023, 11:09:02 AM »

Spring time setup
8.25 enjoi
5.6 venture hollows
53mm 99a Snot wheels (purple cores)
Bones swiss
Grizzly grip

Blazer mids

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #33193 on: March 31, 2023, 12:37:49 PM »
Been wanting to try an egg shape for a while

Black Label Jake Reuter Snake And Rat Egg Shape 9.0" x 32.25" with 14.5" wheelbase
Independent Stage 4 146
Powell Peralta Dragons 56mm 93a
Bones Ceramics Super Reds
Jessup Ultra
Independent 1" hardware

I put on the trucks I had at the moment and planned on putting on wider trucks when I get home, but honestly so far the board feels surprisingly really nice with this size truck so I may end up just sticking with it.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #33194 on: March 31, 2023, 01:30:13 PM »

Spring time setup
8.25 enjoi
5.6 venture hollows
Bones swiss
Grizzly grip

Blazer mids
super sick wheel color choice to pair with the graphic

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #33195 on: March 31, 2023, 01:31:50 PM »
Crail/Girl G027
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Girl 7/8" Longneck Bolts
Venture 5.6 Cast V-Hollows (flat sleeved washers) stock bushings
52 spit classic swirlies
Bronson Ceramics

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:42:43 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33196 on: March 31, 2023, 07:32:21 PM »

You beat me to it haha. I run my trucks fairly loose and with the top loose truck kit bushing I can have my kingpin nut fully engaged on the kingpin with no threat of the nut unthreading itself. $7 is a worthwhile investment to avoid slicing your fingers up while cutting the top bushing down. Also, another plus is the kingpin nut will inadvertently sit lower and give a bit more grind clearance for smiths.

Ha yeah, I thought I would leave it a few days, then answer if there were no other replies, but a lot of people still don't know about the Venture bushing kit with the low heads, or others get them and set them up and find they either have to tighten them right down or have other issues with them being too loose, but understanding the product goes a long way in this case.

Both the features, of looser trucks and lower kingpin nut / head are worth it to me, but as said, these bushings are also good for trucks that are worn down a lot so you need lower kinpgin nut / more clearance, when comparing the worn down hanger.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #33197 on: March 31, 2023, 08:31:06 PM »
Crail/Girl G027
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Girl 7/8" Longneck Bolts
52 spit classic swirlies
Bronson Ceramics

Sick.
Niels is very dope

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #33198 on: March 31, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Crail/Girl G027
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Girl 7/8" Longneck Bolts
52 spit classic swirlies
Bronson Ceramics

[close]

Sick.
Niels is very dope

You enabled this truck purchase.

;P

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33199 on: March 31, 2023, 09:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crail/Girl G027
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Girl 7/8" Longneck Bolts
52 spit classic swirlies
Bronson Ceramics

[close]

Sick.
Niels is very dope

[close]

You enabled this truck purchase.

;P

Haha damn

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #33200 on: April 01, 2023, 06:40:12 AM »
Back on the Baker 8.5 B2 again for my daily. Very similar to my personal goldilocks Polar 8.5 with a little more room on the tail for activities.

Baker Andrew Reynolds B2 8.5x32.25x14.38 (not 14.5 as listed)
Indy Forged Hollow 159
Spitfire Conical 54mm 99du
Bones Swiss
Static 7/8" stainless/allen
MOB Grip
NB#1010
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #33201 on: April 01, 2023, 09:39:26 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah, I thought I would leave it a few days, then answer if there were no other replies, but a lot of people still don't know about the Venture bushing kit with the low heads, or others get them and set them up and find they either have to tighten them right down or have other issues with them being too loose, but understanding the product goes a long way in this case.

Both the features, of looser trucks and lower kingpin nut / head are worth it to me, but as said, these bushings are also good for trucks that are worn down a lot so you need lower kinpgin nut / more clearance, when comparing the worn down hanger.
I’m more confused now. I mean I used to put the bones bushings on Indy’s.
Ventures stock seem to be perfect for skating bowls. 

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #33202 on: April 01, 2023, 09:41:59 AM »
8.38 Krooked True Fit Mold
5.8 V-Light Ventures
53mm F4 Classics
Quantum Metallic Bearings
Shake Junt Hardware
Jessup Grip

This setup is great! The pop is so much better compared to my last setup with Aces. Not sure if it’s placebo but I think I’ll be using Ventures for the foreseeable future.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #33203 on: April 01, 2023, 09:53:32 AM »
☝🏽. Dope™️ ventures are better.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33204 on: April 01, 2023, 04:41:49 PM »
5.8 V-Light Ventures
53mm F4 Classics
Shake Junt Hardware
Jessup Grip

This setup is great! The pop is so much better compared to my last setup with Aces. Not sure if it’s placebo but I think I’ll be using Ventures for the foreseeable future.

All of that looks great!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33205 on: April 01, 2023, 06:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I’m more confused now. I mean I used to put the bones bushings on Indy’s.
Ventures stock seem to be perfect for skating bowls.

I think if they brought out a Thunder low conversion kit as well, people would be using that in their Thunder trucks, but as yet they only have the normal height bushings, otherwise I could see others staying more brand specific for bushings too.

To see how loose some people have their trucks, I am amazed, but then I also see how tight some people have their trucks too which is equally difficult for me to skate on their boards with minimal turn, so given everyone is different, the stock tightness will only work for the middle ground, not either end of the scale.

The other thing which I have also noticed is that lower head bushings in medium or slightly harder duro options means I can have the kingpin nut just nicely down a thread on the front and a couple on the back, but make my board feel way more stable while still being able to turn a lot, so there is that as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33206 on: April 01, 2023, 06:40:12 PM »
5.8 V-Light Ventures
53mm F4 Classics
Shake Junt Hardware
Jessup Grip

Rad looking setup!

My question with this is given the normal 8.38 is very nearly 8.5 in width, is the 8.38 Tru Fit board the same, in that it is almost 8.5 wide or is it more an 8.3 in width?

Not a worry either way, but I know some boards are slightly wider than listed and others are not as wide as listed.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #33207 on: April 01, 2023, 11:23:38 PM »

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #33208 on: April 02, 2023, 06:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
5.8 V-Light Ventures
53mm F4 Classics
Shake Junt Hardware
Jessup Grip

[close]

Rad looking setup!

My question with this is given the normal 8.38 is very nearly 8.5 in width, is the 8.38 Tru Fit board the same, in that it is almost 8.5 wide or is it more an 8.3 in width?

Not a worry either way, but I know some boards are slightly wider than listed and others are not as wide as listed.

The width at the bolts is a hair over 8.38. Maybe like 8 7/16.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #33209 on: April 02, 2023, 10:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote

Spring time setup
8.25 enjoi
5.6 venture hollows
Bones swiss
Grizzly grip

Blazer mids
[close]
super sick wheel color choice to pair with the graphic

Bought the wheels with it considering this deck on hand. The wheel cores are the same color as the venture purple bushing. It’s pretty sick