Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69204 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #810 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
Classics (to me). They're a generically good truck, there is literally nothing you can complain about (other than maybe being too low) as far as functionality goes.

They're cheap and worth checking out, again, especially if you want a low and wide truck (that's also light and surfy). I ruined mine with inverted pins, wish I hadn't (the plate doesn't hold any adhesive for long due to the big open/hollow space and the smooth surface).

The other thing to complain about is the dogshit kingpin clearance.  But to be fair, it's just as bad - if not worse on my Thunder 147s.

I also failed at the Krux kingpin conversion. It would hold the nut for a few weeks - but then it would break free.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #811 on: October 13, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Classics (to me). They're a generically good truck, there is literally nothing you can complain about (other than maybe being too low) as far as functionality goes.

They're cheap and worth checking out, again, especially if you want a low and wide truck (that's also light and surfy). I ruined mine with inverted pins, wish I hadn't (the plate doesn't hold any adhesive for long due to the big open/hollow space and the smooth surface).
[close]

The other thing to complain about is the dogshit kingpin clearance.  But to be fair, it's just as bad - if not worse on my Thunder 147s.

I also failed at the Krux kingpin conversion. It would hold the nut for a few weeks - but then it would break free.

Yeah clearance leaves a little to be desired, but for a low truck, you get more than you would normally expect.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #812 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:35 AM »
I just need to say that Films are the best trucks ever.

I wish they made a true 8.5 size

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #813 on: October 14, 2021, 07:02:35 AM »
Skateboarders tighten their trucks based on their own preferences. Generally, tighter trucks can make your turns hard, and loose trucks can give you unstable turns, so you have to adjust your trucks perfectly. But it wasn’t the case all the time.

Damn this is fascinating, go on...

I Can't Think

« Reply #814 on: October 14, 2021, 08:31:29 PM »
Question about theeves. Do you guys find they wobble in the pivot cup if they're not tightened down? I found the front trucks especially wobbly from the pressure on grinds like crooks. Tightened it down and it's stopped for now. I find as they break in, they get very turny, but less responsive? Like, they don't snap back to center as fast as the ATG tensors. We'll see how they go, hoping I don't run into bushing problems like old versions. For turning, in my experience so far it's probably Ace > Theeve/Tensor (depends on what flavor you like) > Indy/Thunder >>> Venture (I remember having venture highs and being pretty disappointed with the turn)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #815 on: October 14, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »
Question about theeves. Do you guys find they wobble in the pivot cup if they're not tightened down? I found the front trucks especially wobbly from the pressure on grinds like crooks. Tightened it down and it's stopped for now. I find as they break in, they get very turny, but less responsive? Like, they don't snap back to center as fast as the ATG tensors. We'll see how they go, hoping I don't run into bushing problems like old versions. For turning, in my experience so far it's probably Ace > Theeve/Tensor (depends on what flavor you like) > Indy/Thunder >>> Venture (I remember having venture highs and being pretty disappointed with the turn)

Any truck might have more issues if the pivot cup or the bushings are not quite up to it, or if they are blown out or bushings overtightened.

Lots of different things will affect how the truck performs, no matter what brand of truck, or what type of pivot cups or bushings, but I see more people have particularly good or bad things to say about some brands over others, eg the love for Riptides is A+++ from a lot of people, but I have never had them, never felt I needed them, and all brands of my trucks turn and work fine, how I would expect them to in the pivot cup and bushings departments.

If the pivot point is blown out, replace the pivot cups and see if there is any difference, or as you did, tighten them down a touch which should keep things a bit more on the non wobbly side, with fewer noises too.

I have seen more kingpins come loose in Theeve trucks than anything else, but that is just what has come through that I have seen, so not necessarily a common thing all round.  The stock setups were fairly well medium in the turn when new but when worn in the bushings would soften up a fair bit too, so people would be tightening them down more over time, which changed the geometry of the turn on them - crushing the bottom bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #816 on: October 14, 2021, 10:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah clearance leaves a little to be desired, but for a low truck, you get more than you would normally expect.

Took the plunge with the Skate Warehouse discount, I'm sure I have some boards on ice with WB 14.25 or longer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LewFarrell

« Reply #817 on: October 15, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Took the plunge with the Skate Warehouse discount, I'm sure I have some boards on ice with WB 14.25 or longer.

Did the same. Will post up with my impressions after I get a few sessions in. For anyone wanting  to give em a shot you can get a set at SW for $28.88 USD w/ current discount.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did the same. Will post up with my impressions after I get a few sessions in. For anyone wanting  to give em a shot you can get a set at SW for $28.88 USD w/ current discount.

They're not the end all be all, but you're going to be quite surprised.

LewFarrell

« Reply #819 on: October 19, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »
I got my Mini Logo trucks today... One of the axles is really off centre so I can't get the nut to even bite into the nylock with both speed washers on. Kinda bummed, they seem pretty decent.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #820 on: October 19, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVPOiy4r7wU/?utm_medium=copy_link

Idk wtf 'sacred geometry for precise pop' means, but I'm all for a lighter truck with more kingpin clearance. I love how the current iteration of Royals skate.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: October 19, 2021, 10:11:15 PM »

Idk wtf 'sacred geometry for precise pop' means, but I'm all for a lighter truck with more kingpin clearance. I love how the current iteration of Royals skate.

You can't post a statement like that and not give a full review dude.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Shuh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #822 on: October 19, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »

If i had to eyeball it the Hanger is designed like Thunder, while the Baseplate designed like a Indy forged baseplate.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: October 19, 2021, 10:25:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Adding a link to an unboxing from the Royal IG story

https://instagram.com/stories/royaltrucks/2688432959328174485?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

TLDR; I think I've heard someone on here describe them as a surfy thunder and I agree. The standard ones are horrible due to bad kingpin clearance, but I love the inverted kingpin ones. The only complaint is that I have to run them with smaller wheels due to the low height and that they can feel kind of cheap. I've had less quality control issues with Royals than Ace though.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #824 on: October 19, 2021, 10:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if u hv friends working in the marine/shipbuilding industry, can try the Chockfast Orange.its a two component inert filling casting compound .normally used to fill the gap between the equipment and steel foundation. also used around the hold-down bolts.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #825 on: October 19, 2021, 10:30:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

https://instagram.com/stories/royaltrucks/2688432959328174485?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

TLDR; I think I've heard someone on here describe them as a surfy thunder and I agree. The standard ones are horrible due to bad kingpin clearance, but I love the inverted kingpin ones. The only complaint is that I have to run them with smaller wheels due to the low height and that they can feel kind of cheap. I've had less quality control issues with Royals than Ace though.

so i guess they change the geometry with this new royal reinvention..

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: October 20, 2021, 01:27:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How much do they adjust the wheelbase? I've been looking for a low (under 50mm) 8.25 truck, closest at the moment is Mini Logos.

I rode Royal trucks back in the day and the kingpin clearance was bad, even by 2000s standards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #827 on: October 20, 2021, 06:59:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How much do they adjust the wheelbase? I've been looking for a low (under 50mm) 8.25 truck, closest at the moment is Mini Logos.

I rode Royal trucks back in the day and the kingpin clearance was bad, even by 2000s standards.

I’ve heard they’re one of the shorter (~3” or less) wb trucks somewhere on here but can’t remember the thread. Anyway I’ll probably pick up a set of the new ones for fun unless they get shit ass reviews right off the bat

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2021, 12:05:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's in between Ace classic and Indy standard. About +2.875 give or take.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #829 on: October 21, 2021, 05:57:37 AM »
Still loving the shit out of my Krux K5's with Bones hard bushings. I think it's funny some people write off the redesign before even trying it.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #830 on: October 21, 2021, 06:12:12 AM »
Still loving the shit out of my Krux K5's with Bones hard bushings. I think it's funny some people write off the redesign before even trying it.

For sure, the K5’s are actually pretty good. They are really great to ride wobbly loose.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: October 21, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For what it’s worth, I asked Vincent Alvarez and he said the new Royals are still the same height so like 51mm ish

I Can't Think

« Reply #832 on: October 22, 2021, 02:50:44 AM »
I'd be keen to try the new royals with an inverted kingpin if they made some with an 8.5 axle. If they can pull a tensor and make something sick I'm all for it

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #833 on: October 24, 2021, 05:11:59 AM »
I bought mini logo trucks because I recently rode them on someones setup and they felt great.
One of them came with a bent baseplate, so I immediately sent it back to get a different one. Now I just noticed on the second one the top washer fully touches the hanger. I feel like that shouldn't ever happen right? I already disassembled it a few times, there's no way for it not to touch. Bottom bushing height is 13.7mm, which should be right.

Edit: I just mounted it on a deck and it seems to turn perfectly fine. Still seems weird to me
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:05:43 AM by goodatmeth »

Shuh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #834 on: October 24, 2021, 05:23:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For what it’s worth, I asked Vincent Alvarez and he said the new Royals are still the same height so like 51mm ish

So its has the height of a thunder forged baseplate and wheel base of an indy? Hmm it looks but the kingpin nut is quite reccesed like an indy standard. How did they manage that perportions.?

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #835 on: October 24, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
I bought mini logo trucks because I recently rode them on someones setup and they felt great.
One of them came with a bent baseplate, so I immediately sent it back to get a different one. Now I just noticed on the second one the top washer fully touches the hanger. I feel like that shouldn't ever happen right? I already disassembled it a few times, there's no way for it not to touch. Bottom bushing height is 13.7mm, which should be right.

Edit: I just mounted it on a deck and it seems to turn perfectly fine. Still seems weird to me

I've been skating Mini Logos for a while cause yeah, they feel really really good. The top washers are flatter than normal so that there isn't a sharp edge digging into the top bushing while turning deeply. Indys and Thunders seem to have this problem. The downside is that the washer touches the hanger sometimes, but it's never caused a problem for me. I'd rather have that than split bushings. On a side note, they come with some of the best stock bushings I've ever used (but the pivot cups are too hard in my opinion).

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #836 on: October 24, 2021, 03:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So its has the height of a thunder forged baseplate and wheel base of an indy? Hmm it looks but the kingpin nut is quite reccesed like an indy standard. How did they manage that perportions.?

Not sure. Vincent could be wrong too I feel like he’s the type to be able to skate any setup without too much difficulty

I Can't Think

« Reply #837 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
New Royals spotted:

https://rumor-boardshop.myshopify.com/products/the-royal-inverted-truck-raw-set-of-two?_pos=2&_sid=a98521193&_ss=r

Looks like it's indy sizing. I might get a pair of the inverted ones.

Edit: here's a photo from the link, if I hear these are good I'm for sure snagging a pair, they tick all the boxes for me (lower, poppy truck with good turning and an inverted kingpin to solve the low truck clearance issue)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:45:18 PM by I Can't Think »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #838 on: October 25, 2021, 02:44:53 AM »
New Royals spotted:

https://rumor-boardshop.myshopify.com/products/the-royal-inverted-truck-raw-set-of-two?_pos=2&_sid=a98521193&_ss=r

Looks like it's indy sizing. I might get a pair of the inverted ones.

Edit: here's a photo from the link, if I hear these are good I'm for sure snagging a pair, they tick all the boxes for me (lower, poppy truck with good turning and an inverted kingpin to solve the low truck clearance issue)

If they perform like a higher quality Mini Logo truck I could get on board, finding anything below 50mm is tough at the 8.25 and up range.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #839 on: October 25, 2021, 04:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

so i guess they change the geometry with this new royal reinvention..

wow you are very observant.