Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114192 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are we sure Primitive is BBS? I'm skeptical as hell.
[close]

I got a Primitive deck with a made in China sticker.
[close]

I think they've started to make pricepoint boards, the non-pro models with the logo in Script should be their PP models.
[close]

It was actually a pro model. It had the typical BBS sticker but said made in China.

That's weird cause mine say made in Mexico, but they feel exactly like the girl/chocolate boards I've rode in the past.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
I just set up a new Alien Workshop 8.125 and it's stamped with Roman numerals like DLX decks.

What I found odd, is that my current Real (8.5" Full SE MasonSilva) wasn't stamped with a Roman numeral...

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2020, 08:30:44 PM »
all the talks in this thread made me realize that brands in this moment somehow not going to dedicate themselves to just one woodshop. seems like they're scrambling to get any woodshops willing to press for them, which leads me to believe China is somehow their last resort, sort of.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #513 on: August 14, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »
Never had a bad Primitive, all of them were made in Mexico.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Seanfku

• Rep: 1
« Reply #514 on: August 14, 2020, 07:06:06 AM »
Never had a bad Primitive, all of them were made in Mexico.

Well it's my fault for getting a Chinese made Neal pro model but the Silvas colors deck was Hecho en Mexico. I probably wont buy Primitive anymore. Their website is ridiculous, too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
Seems like Generator wasn't too happy with Ben Degros openly saying his boards were blanks from that woodshop:

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #516 on: August 16, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
Doesn’t making a video saying generator told us not to call our generator blanks generator, defeat the the point?

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
How is it with board availability in the states? my country has been running dry for quite some time. It use to be shops would run boards 3 seasons back, now I saw a local put a choclate mj board which I thought was funny.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #518 on: August 16, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Doesn’t making a video saying generator told us not to call our generator blanks generator, defeat the the point?

Yes, and they had to scrub their social media and the channel of mention of Generator blanks as well. I don't blame Generator though, woodshops are the secret sauce of the industry, though it only matters to a tiny portion of the skate community. But I can imagine a lot of brands don't want their customers knowing brand X boards are actually the same as brand Y boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2020, 02:21:08 AM »
Anyone know brand what the Baker OG mellow shape compares to ? I’m looking at either an 8.1 or an 8.25.

Depends on what you want. There's probably a comparable deck from just about any woodshop. I've never actually skated a baker deck but I recently flipped one of the AR reapers that people are paying way too much for on eBay and I did check it against some of my other stuff. There's a PS mold that strangelove uses that's pretty similar in terms of both concave and kick angles.

I would actually consider the baker mold to be more of a moderate concave than mellow, although it is mellow for a BBS deck. If you want something really mellow but similar feeling then PGI (blood wizard, skate mental, Maxallure, natural koncept etc) are quite flat but have a similar stiffness. There's a number of PS molds that are mellow as well (toy machine is the most popular one) and SC e mold decks are nice and mellow as well, but aren't always easy to find.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #520 on: August 18, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
Anybody know what wood shop Max Allure uses?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #521 on: August 18, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »
Anybody know what wood shop Max Allure uses?
The message above answers the question

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, and they had to scrub their social media and the channel of mention of Generator blanks as well. I don't blame Generator though, woodshops are the secret sauce of the industry, though it only matters to a tiny portion of the skate community. But I can imagine a lot of brands don't want their customers knowing brand X boards are actually the same as brand Y boards.
something about that recent video is just a little strange. like @TwisT ..lets remove all the videos that mention that but here's one last video mentioning it. Not blaming Generator either. The way Ben goes about it is pretty strange though, and the content is pretty stale. sounding like a salesman now.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
something about that recent video is just a little strange. like @TwisT ..lets remove all the videos that mention that but here's one last video mentioning it. Not blaming Generator either. The way Ben goes about it is pretty strange though, and the content is pretty stale. sounding like a salesman now.
Moment content creators try to start selling you shit it all goes bad

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #524 on: August 18, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Pretty much agree, but he mentioned SC wood in the last video and then neglected to share his thoughts on that woodshop (which was a bummer).  As far as content, what is left? He finally reviewed the Tensor ATG mag lights, which people had been hounding him to do for a long while, Ha! In all seriousness I like his content and look forward to new videos.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #525 on: August 18, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Pretty much agree, but he mentioned SC wood in the last video and then neglected to share his thoughts on that woodshop (which was a bummer).  As far as content, what is left? He finally reviewed the Tensor ATG mag lights, which people had been hounding him to do for a long while, Ha! In all seriousness I like his content and look forward to new videos.

Almost got two of the blanks today since I’ve been on a similar shape but the savings were negated by the shipping. While I would like to have a blank deck I just would rather not commit to that shape right now because knowing me I’ll like something else in a month.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #526 on: August 18, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »
How are we gonna get the first post updated?

In a way I suggest/nominate @Buttfart Rapedick to help

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: August 18, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Almost got two of the blanks today since I’ve been on a similar shape but the savings were negated by the shipping. While I would like to have a blank deck I just would rather not commit to that shape right now because knowing me I’ll like something else in a month.

I almost hopped on another 2 boards but I still have to ship to Asia, so I'm paying close to $50 per board. The first one I had from Canada Skate Shop was rad but snapped in 3 weeks which is strange since I never snap boards. The second one I rode is starting to mush out quickly, I'm only 2 weeks (6 sessions, 4 hours each maybe?) into this one so that's disappointing. Not completely limp so I'll hand that to a friend who just got back to skating and is riding a 7.5 while being 6ft tall.

Edit: still have 3 Magenta boards from BBS in 8.125; if Canada Skate Shop brought in samples from other woodshops like Clutch or Chapman I would have loved to try a few.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:15:48 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #528 on: August 18, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »
I've grabbed Canadian shop boards and they are good....ninetimes, menu, both BBS/generator.  I think blue tile too....

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »

Edit: still have 3 Magenta boards from BBS in 8.125; if Canada Skate Shop brought in samples from other woodshops like Clutch or Chapman I would have loved to try a few.

Same thing. Chapman doesn't press boards anymore, they use ASF/Clutch blanks. For what it's worth, the two decks I've had that came from Chapman (8.38 coda and 8.25 hotel blue) have felt better than the other clutch decks I've skated. It's almost certainly down to the fact that they were both the O shape which is pretty much exactly what I like (square-ish kicks, big nose, full shape, 14.25 wb, around 31.6 length) while the others were P or K shape though.   

I've grabbed Canadian shop boards and they are good....ninetimes, menu, both BBS/generator.  I think blue tile too....

Wasn't bluetile quincy wood or am I thinking of blueprint? Too many blues.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #530 on: August 22, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
local’s most recent Toy Machine decks are generator
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
What woodshop does Less than Local skateboards use?
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same thing. Chapman doesn't press boards anymore, they use ASF/Clutch blanks. For what it's worth, the two decks I've had that came from Chapman (8.38 coda and 8.25 hotel blue) have felt better than the other clutch decks I've skated. It's almost certainly down to the fact that they were both the O shape which is pretty much exactly what I like (square-ish kicks, big nose, full shape, 14.25 wb, around 31.6 length) while the others were P or K shape though.   

Expand Quote
[close]

Wasn't bluetile quincy wood or am I thinking of blueprint? Too many blues.

One Bluetile is Canadian (bbs/generator boards) & the other Bluetile is American (qunicy boards).

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2020, 02:05:34 AM »

Do you remember which graphics and if the concave/shape is similar to the PS ones? If they're super mellow like the PS ones I'd be really interested in trying one.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a truly flat BBS deck before. Even like the baker OG that's labeled as "mellow" is what I'd consider more of a medium and has a tail that's steeper than a lot of decks from other woodshops that I really like (SC E mold, PGI 8.25 x 31.63 shape, lots of PS stuff etc).

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you remember which graphics and if the concave/shape is similar to the PS ones? If they're super mellow like the PS ones I'd be really interested in trying one.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a truly flat BBS deck before. Even like the baker OG that's labeled as "mellow" is what I'd consider more of a medium and has a tail that's steeper than a lot of decks from other woodshops that I really like (SC E mold, PGI 8.25 x 31.63 shape, lots of PS stuff etc).

Assorted pro and team models. I think I stepped on the Leo Romero Fountain series, but I can’t remember confidently now. It definitely did not feel or even look as mellow as the PS TM's tho. I was considering riding a Baker OG next, but if that’s as mellow as they get for BBS, I think I’m good... Ended up getting the Leabres Fos Arm and spray painting it white.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »
Looking at getting some old Santa Cruz P2 decks because they are no longer manufactured. Anyone who the wheelbase on the older 8 x 31.6 boards? Specifically this model: https://www.skateamerica.com/products/santa-cruz-shuriken-strip-p2-charcoal-rasta-31-6in-x-8-0in-skateboard-deck?

I think the older boards are 14.25 WB which is no bueno. If they are 14 i can work with that.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #536 on: August 26, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
Anyone know what CCS blanks/graphic decks/custom graphic decks use? I’ve searched and have not  found an answer. The stack of blemish decks has peaked my interest.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #537 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
Anyone know what CCS blanks/graphic decks/custom graphic decks use? I’ve searched and have not  found an answer. The stack of blemish decks has peaked my interest.

I've had 3. All were 8.25. 3 different shapes. Probably 3 different woodshops.
first felt stubby, maybe a shorter wheelbase I guess. broad nose and tail, no identifiable marking
Second definitely Prime LA. Had the laser engraving on the top. More of a football-ish. shape stain under graphic
third more of a "standard" shape if that makes sense. Nose and tail pretty even. Medium concave.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #538 on: August 27, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
Any truth behind South Central using prison labor?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #539 on: August 27, 2020, 08:37:34 AM »
Any truth behind South Central using prison labor?
Heard people talk about it here so it must be true