Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349671 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2130 on: November 11, 2021, 11:37:20 PM »
How does Kader not get wheelbite with 57-60mm classics on ventures? He doesn't seem to use risers either
according to reynolds, he runs 1/8 risers in ventures. 8.5/5.8 combo as far as i remember
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #2131 on: November 12, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote
How does Kader not get wheelbite with 57-60mm classics on ventures? He doesn't seem to use risers either
[close]
according to reynolds, he runs 1/8 risers in ventures. 8.5/5.8 combo as far as i remember

fuck that ghost pop OH WAIT

this guy might have the smartest setup ever. The extremely shallow kicks of baker decks + height of wheels and ventures + extended WB of ventures probably give him a comfy mellow feeling but poppy setup

user18081971

« Reply #2132 on: November 12, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
I feel as though if you’re light-weighted (weighing in at or under 70kg/160 lb) and have the stock bushings setup (loose, but not rattling) running big wheels with no risers works nicely on highs. Ace and venture have this in common in my experience.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2133 on: November 12, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »

It's why I Ride this truck.

I like 58s on 5.6s cast plates hollow hangers. Rarely get wheel bite. I use a flat washer and ride them loose as possible too. I only riser if forged plates

It's just the best truck around.

I think kader is riding something else now tho

Quote from: user18081971

link=topic=108614.msg3679912#msg3679912 date=1636753200
I feel as though if you’re light-weighted (weighing in at or under 70kg/160 lb) and have the stock bushings setup (loose, but not rattling) running big wheels with no risers works nicely on highs. Ace and venture have this in common in my experience.

I ride a riser with ace if I have over a 56mm wheel now. Before I didn't but I like my aces floppy loose
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2134 on: November 13, 2021, 02:15:33 AM »
After having some delivery issues over the last few weeks, I finally got my V-Hollow 5.6's yesterday and gonna try them out tomorrow. Really curious about how they gonna fell.
The bushings felt fairly soft just by standing on it so hopefully the break in time is rather quick.

So yesterday was a really cold and shitty day to have a real sesh but I ended up pushing to my friends store after work just to try them out and I must say I am relieved as they do actually turn fine! I can see the slight “delay” in the turn, nothing dramatic, but those bushing are also brand new and it was like 0 degrees. I could still carve around and wasn’t tiktaking everywhere, at stock tightness. They felt fun but stable at the same time, which is good. Even my friends (all ride Indy) gave it a quick go and said they felt good!
I did just a quick bit of flatground in front of the store and also liked the pop feel (them being so light and lower probably helps, even with the extended w/b). Hopefully I can have an actual sesh this sunday and fully test them but for now I think I’m sold!!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2135 on: November 13, 2021, 07:06:31 AM »

I think it's been mentioned on here before but the wheel bite on a venture is more shallow....i get it pretty regularly, but I don't get pitched like I would on a set of thunders...at a certain point too, dude is prolly just good...

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2136 on: November 13, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
Expand Quote
After having some delivery issues over the last few weeks, I finally got my V-Hollow 5.6's yesterday and gonna try them out tomorrow. Really curious about how they gonna fell.
The bushings felt fairly soft just by standing on it so hopefully the break in time is rather quick.
[close]

So yesterday was a really cold and shitty day to have a real sesh but I ended up pushing to my friends store after work just to try them out and I must say I am relieved as they do actually turn fine! I can see the slight “delay” in the turn, nothing dramatic, but those bushing are also brand new and it was like 0 degrees. I could still carve around and wasn’t tiktaking everywhere, at stock tightness. They felt fun but stable at the same time, which is good. Even my friends (all ride Indy) gave it a quick go and said they felt good!
I did just a quick bit of flatground in front of the store and also liked the pop feel (them being so light and lower probably helps, even with the extended w/b). Hopefully I can have an actual sesh this sunday and fully test them but for now I think I’m sold!!

"ventures dont turn" is just anti-pop propaganda
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2137 on: November 13, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just picked up a pair of 5.8 Mike Anderson "ventura" trucks. Took em' out for a cruise (I live in Vancouver, its cold) and was pleasantly surprised. They turned great, felt like a more stable Indy. Took my Thunders out for a cruise the other day and I couldn't turn at all, bushings seized up from the cold. Still waiting on my Lurps though.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2138 on: November 16, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
So here it is.  I've heard for years previous that Ventures don't turn.  It was like the main stereotype attached to the brand for awhile.  In the last few years they've kind of exploded in popularity and are the truck of choice for many.  I've had them recommended to me over Thunders.  Did their turning improve (with stock bushings, let's say) or did the marketing just get better?
[close]

Both, the low's didn't turn and they didn't make highs in wider sizes for a long time so not many people rode them. They expanded their line to include 5.6 and 6.1 around the time Bobby's video came out. People then realized the new trucks are completely different and have a different turn, but a turn that's just fine for the most part. They also switched from Street Corner to DLX and QC improved.
Gotcha.  One more thing, did the turning issue and DLX switch happen before or after they switched from purple to red bushings in lo's?  Someone is trying to sell me a pair and I want to make sure I get them from the right era.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2139 on: November 16, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So here it is.  I've heard for years previous that Ventures don't turn.  It was like the main stereotype attached to the brand for awhile.  In the last few years they've kind of exploded in popularity and are the truck of choice for many.  I've had them recommended to me over Thunders.  Did their turning improve (with stock bushings, let's say) or did the marketing just get better?
[close]

Both, the low's didn't turn and they didn't make highs in wider sizes for a long time so not many people rode them. They expanded their line to include 5.6 and 6.1 around the time Bobby's video came out. People then realized the new trucks are completely different and have a different turn, but a turn that's just fine for the most part. They also switched from Street Corner to DLX and QC improved.
[close]
Gotcha.  One more thing, did the turning issue and DLX switch happen before or after they switched from purple to red bushings in lo's?  Someone is trying to sell me a pair and I want to make sure I get them from the right era.

re: red bushings - i'm pretty sure yeah. but i'm gonna piggyback your question and say - did they start putting the sizes on ventures when DLX took over? my old pair of lo's (pre-dlx) do not, so i'm assuming yes?

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2140 on: November 16, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »
If I'm coming from loose (just surfy, not rattling) Aces, and I'm going to run 56-60mm wheels (on some Matt Reason fanboy shit), is there a reason to get Venture 5.8s over Independent 149s? Those 30$ 5.8s look real tempting

user18081971

« Reply #2141 on: November 16, 2021, 06:34:40 PM »
Less wheelbite, different feeling grind.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2142 on: November 16, 2021, 06:40:20 PM »
If I'm coming from loose (just surfy, not rattling) Aces, and I'm going to run 56-60mm wheels (on some Matt Reason fanboy shit), is there a reason to get Venture 5.8s over Independent 149s? Those 30$ 5.8s look real tempting

I like Venture more than Indy. So factor that in.

I get a better ollie with Venture.
Venture is cool, Indy is not.
My understanding is that the cheaper Ventures, the cast, are made in the USA at ermico in SF.
Indys are made elsewhere.
I like the stability of Ventures.
I do not like that I need to be a little more specific with bigger boards with Ventures (the effective wheelbase on Ventures is .25” greater than Indy, comparing cast models, and this causes some boards to feel/ride as though they were larger. When I stick to the size that works best for me, this is actually a bonus with Ventures, but on larger boards it exacerbates my big board problems).
Ventures have a harsher grind. I think the alloy in Indy might be different/better for grinding. The  Independent truck hanger is also more rounded, allowing for a smoother grind.
Ventures wear out faster. This does not bother me.
Ventures are lighter than Indy, again comparing 5.8s to 149s, cast to cast.
You might need to mess with Ventures a little bit more to get them to turn the way you want them too. Some popular mods are to remove the bottom washer, and to use a flat top washer. Of course doing this can smoke thru bushing faster.

Ace’s have a great turn, no doubt. I don’t really like the pop tho.
I have skated really well (for me) on 139s in the past, but….have always looked for something else. And with the skateboard politics, it’s easy for me to want to support dlx, instead of nhs. This is a personal thing for me, and isn’t something most people need to consider.

Can’t imagine the above will be helpful

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #2143 on: November 16, 2021, 07:00:43 PM »
I'm heavy and like loose trucks, so it's not a fun combo to deal with. I wheelbite on all trucks even with risers. But I will say Ventures definitely wheelbite worse than Ace's for me. Not Thunder level where I get tossed, but still pretty bad. I can't ride 5.8 casts without at least 1/8" risers and that's on 52mm wheels. I had to run 1/4" risers with 58mm wheels and hated looking down and seeing such a tall riser underneath my truck. It also took away the stability aspect of their geometry, being so high off the ground. I'd say if you're riding that big wheel wave, stick to Ace's with an 1/8" riser underneath and you'll have little to no wheelbite at all.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2144 on: November 16, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »
What's the deal with DLX's Thunder Rebuild Kit / Super Cush bushings?

They list 95a as medium and 100a as hard. But isn't 90a medium, 95a hard and 100a super hard?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2145 on: November 17, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like Venture more than Indy. So factor that in.

I get a better ollie with Venture.
Venture is cool, Indy is not.
My understanding is that the cheaper Ventures, the cast, are made in the USA at ermico in SF.
Indys are made elsewhere.
I like the stability of Ventures.
I do not like that I need to be a little more specific with bigger boards with Ventures (the effective wheelbase on Ventures is .25” greater than Indy, comparing cast models, and this causes some boards to feel/ride as though they were larger. When I stick to the size that works best for me, this is actually a bonus with Ventures, but on larger boards it exacerbates my big board problems).
Ventures have a harsher grind. I think the alloy in Indy might be different/better for grinding. The  Independent truck hanger is also more rounded, allowing for a smoother grind.
Ventures wear out faster. This does not bother me.
Ventures are lighter than Indy, again comparing 5.8s to 149s, cast to cast.
You might need to mess with Ventures a little bit more to get them to turn the way you want them too. Some popular mods are to remove the bottom washer, and to use a flat top washer. Of course doing this can smoke thru bushing faster.

Ace’s have a great turn, no doubt. I don’t really like the pop tho.
I have skated really well (for me) on 139s in the past, but….have always looked for something else. And with the skateboard politics, it’s easy for me to want to support dlx, instead of nhs. This is a personal thing for me, and isn’t something most people need to consider.

Can’t imagine the above will be helpful

So these are the two reasons I was considering ventures. I don't like that I have to get 14.3-14.5 wb boards on the aces, and I don't like that the pop feels kind of dead on my aces now. However, I do like really surfy trucks, so I'm trying to find a nice medium between big pop and surfy. I would even size down to 52-54mm (which is about what I'm riding now anyway, since I haven't changed wheels out in forever and I'm not skating any transition in the wet with my blown out pivot cup).

However -

I'm heavy and like loose trucks, so it's not a fun combo to deal with. I wheelbite on all trucks even with risers. But I will say Ventures definitely wheelbite worse than Ace's for me. Not Thunder level where I get tossed, but still pretty bad. I can't ride 5.8 casts without at least 1/8" risers and that's on 52mm wheels. I had to run 1/4" risers with 58mm wheels and hated looking down and seeing such a tall riser underneath my truck. It also took away the stability aspect of their geometry, being so high off the ground. I'd say if you're riding that big wheel wave, stick to Ace's with an 1/8" riser underneath and you'll have little to no wheelbite at all.

I fucking hate risers unless they're going on my cruiser board, so I might try indy instead. I'm not heavy per se but I am a weightlifter so I'm heavier than most skateboarders, at least; I've never gotten too bad of wheelbite except this one cruiser I had with 169s, risers, and the Heroin mutant shape (was really weird that combo wouldn't work, I still don't get it). I know indy won't really extend the wheelbase much for me, but at least they're taller which might help with pop. Fuck do ventures look way cooler though

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2146 on: November 17, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
What's the deal with DLX's Thunder Rebuild Kit / Super Cush bushings?

They list 95a as medium and 100a as hard. But isn't 90a medium, 95a hard and 100a super hard?

Given some companies have been using their own version / numbers for certain things, including only having three bushing hardness options (soft, medium and hard) to now having over twice that many, it is a funny one.

Indy stock orange bushings used to be 94 duro once upon a time, with their soft red aftermarket bushings used to be 92 duro, as an example.  Medium orange was 94 and black hard was 96, those black ones being like rocks.

Thunder kit in 90 soft, 95 medium and 100 hard has been around for a long time too, maybe not as long as Indy, but the black hard were not half as hard as the Indy bushings.

Others like Supercush only had the number, never a name.

Now with many more people riding way looser trucks, the numbers have been going lower and lower, with the rating getting softer and softer, but some companies still have what they started with, eg DLX bushings.

Safe to say, some don't list the description beside the number, but others rely on both the word and number in descriptions, so it is similar to how wheel hardness varies with brand, so does bushing hardness with brand, the properties of some bushings being different to others with the same number or designation.

Sorry if that is a bit obscure - long day, late night and early mornings might not agree with me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #2147 on: November 21, 2021, 06:19:14 AM »
Any one skate the Palace 8" with Venture low?

Thinking if getting one for my 5.2s
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2148 on: November 21, 2021, 06:28:05 AM »
I was just looking at the palace 7.75.
But no, I haven’t had a palace since an Olly Todd, very early in their USA availability.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2149 on: November 21, 2021, 07:22:09 AM »
But no, I haven’t had a palace since an Olly Todd, very early in their USA availability.

I've actually skated the 7.75 Olly Todd with Venture Lows. It's good.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2150 on: November 21, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've actually skated the 7.75 Olly Todd with Venture Lows. It's good.

Yeah that’s what I rode mine with. At the time I was skating 5.2 venture lo’s with a riser. Idk. Worked tho.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2151 on: November 22, 2021, 07:14:17 AM »
Just hit back axle on my so I’m starting to prepare setting up my new set. I can’t seem to find any 97a supercush bushings anywhere. I prefer those so if anyone has any leads let me know

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #2152 on: November 22, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
Just hit back axle on my so I’m starting to prepare setting up my new set. I can’t seem to find any 97a supercush bushings anywhere. I prefer those so if anyone has any leads let me know
It says they’ve got one left.
https://garageskateshop.com/products/deluxe-supercush-bushings?variant=40041075671200

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2153 on: November 22, 2021, 08:21:01 AM »

No photo pfft

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2154 on: November 22, 2021, 09:16:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No photo pfft
Barely hit it. I’ll post a photo when they get retired

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2155 on: November 22, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It says they’ve got one left.
https://garageskateshop.com/products/deluxe-supercush-bushings?variant=40041075671200
Thanks, just copped

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2156 on: November 23, 2021, 04:17:03 AM »
decided im going to ride 6.1s only, fits the boards i ride better and cleaned up my landings

looking to fund some 6.1 hollows with the trucks i no longer need. 5.6 & 5.8 hollows up in the classifieds if anyone is interested ;)

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #2157 on: November 23, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
Kader is back riding ventures in his recent clips...he was riding lurpivs the past couple months so figured he was leaving venture but guess not.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #2158 on: November 23, 2021, 06:08:29 PM »
Kader is back riding ventures in his recent clips...he was riding lurpivs the past couple months so figured he was leaving venture but guess not.
They always come back.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2159 on: November 23, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They always come back.

Glances at Mini Logo trucks on my current setup
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m