Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353969 times)

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2310 on: January 17, 2022, 08:09:48 AM »
Even with lows? Maybe I have it mixed up and the top bushing is the lower one than highs.
My low bottoms are 12.8mm compared to 13.8mm on the bones hard bottoms. Using the flat washer under the hards bottom compared to stock bottom and stock washer adds 0.5mm in height. Negligible enough to me as I find the hards compress a bit over time bringing it close to stock.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2311 on: January 17, 2022, 01:26:09 PM »
hey guys noob here too lazy to go through eighty pages.

I started skating aces because my thunders would not turn for shit, but i think im ready to go back to a truck that is more responsive when it comes to a quicker snap. Could venture be a happy medium? Ive been cursed with the phantom pop and am tired of constantly trying to rewire muscle memory

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2312 on: January 17, 2022, 01:30:23 PM »

I started skating aces because my thunders would not turn for shit, but i think im ready to go back to a truck that is more responsive when it comes to a quicker snap. Could venture be a happy medium? Ive been cursed with the phantom pop and am tired of constantly trying to rewire muscle memory

What made you feel like thunders dont turn for shit? You may not be too happy with ventures if so.

Maybe indys with a forged baseplate (so forged hollows or titaniums) could be the happy medium

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2313 on: January 17, 2022, 02:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What made you feel like thunders dont turn for shit? You may not be too happy with ventures if so.

Maybe indys with a forged baseplate (so forged hollows or titaniums) could be the happy medium

so I had a pair of thunders for years that seemed like they turned great and I rode them till I couldnt even put wheels on them anymore, probably way longer than I should have had them. I bought a new set at my local and figured they just needed to break in or something. I would lean to turn and felt like they just went in a straight line but tilted if that makes any sense?

Anyway they were grinded down to shit and I realized they still didnt turn unless I was tic tacking them

Gonna check out those Indys though, thanks!

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Cthunderw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #2314 on: January 17, 2022, 02:19:59 PM »

Maybe buy a set of softer Thunder or Indy bushings before buying a whole new set of trucks to try out, the new bushings will work in the Indy's if you decide you don't like them in your Thunders. I'm only an amateur when it comes to truck madness but I'd start by only replacing the bottom (closer to the deck) bushing with the new soft ones. I think this would help you get a deeper turn without having them too loose from a neutral position. Feel free to correct me so I can learn something. Maybe even trimming the existing bottom bushings a bit and tightening more would achieve similar results.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2315 on: January 17, 2022, 02:35:39 PM »
That’s super weird, my Thunders turn on a fucking dime. They’re known for being twitchy and I run them stock tightness. Are you really light?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2316 on: January 17, 2022, 06:34:13 PM »
I just put some of those Supercush 88 Deluxe bushings in my regular 8.25 ventures, highly improves the turn in my opinion. I’ll probably try riptides too after reading this.
I just love manuals on Ventures, they’ve been helping my perfect nose-manuals which I’ve struggled with in the past.
I also have some Ventures on a cruiser deck where the bottom bushing on the front is kinda destroyed and they’re pretty much wiggly. They feel cool but I wouldn’t want them on my everyday setup.

I already had the riptides but I switched to the Supercush 88’s on my 5.6 Ti’s and my god these shits are perfect

I set them up on a twin tail in the house and adjusted the tightness by simply standing on it stationary. When I skated later today I figured I’d have to fine tune them and break them in but no, they were already better than the stock clear bushings I’d been skating for months and I actually had them tuned just right. They turn noticeably quicker and smoother without getting wheelbity.

I finally found the perfect trucks yall this shit is amazing

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2317 on: January 18, 2022, 07:35:53 AM »
That’s super weird, my Thunders turn on a fucking dime. They’re known for being twitchy and I run them stock tightness. Are you really light?

That's the thing I'm a heavy bastard. My old ones turned perfect but the last set were so bad. Not sure if I got some bogus ones or maybe since they weren't raws or something. Idk

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2318 on: January 18, 2022, 07:38:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Maybe buy a set of softer Thunder or Indy bushings before buying a whole new set of trucks to try out, the new bushings will work in the Indy's if you decide you don't like them in your Thunders. I'm only an amateur when it comes to truck madness but I'd start by only replacing the bottom (closer to the deck) bushing with the new soft ones. I think this would help you get a deeper turn without having them too loose from a neutral position. Feel free to correct me so I can learn something. Maybe even trimming the existing bottom bushings a bit and tightening more would achieve similar results.

Wish I hit this thread earlier, but I have them to done kid so it's too late for me

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2319 on: January 18, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »

Ventures turn worse than Thunders. It's way more lean than carve and there's a definite maxing out point where the truck will refuse to turn anymore.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2320 on: January 18, 2022, 10:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ventures turn worse than Thunders. It's way more lean than carve and there's a definite maxing out point where the truck will refuse to turn anymore.

Ah damn. Sound like my best bet is to spend more time and be patient with the aces

Thanks a bunch!

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2321 on: January 18, 2022, 12:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the thing I'm a heavy bastard. My old ones turned perfect but the last set were so bad. Not sure if I got some bogus ones or maybe since they weren't raws or something. Idk

I had this issue with a set of Thunders too, actually. They seem like fussy trucks to me so I decided to stop riding them. Maybe one day I’ll try again.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2322 on: January 18, 2022, 06:14:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah damn. Sound like my best bet is to spend more time and be patient with the aces

Thanks a bunch!

Indy mid is prolly the correct answer…..I know….it sucks…

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2323 on: January 18, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks a bunch!
[close]

Indy mid The new Royals is prolly the correct answer…..I know….it's AWESOME…

Expand Quote

ace low bushings in 6.1s
pushed around the block and they feel great @200lbs
supercush 94a are the next (hopefully last) on my list
final frontier is bushing madness
[close]

Yes you finally have come find the truth. Been running this exact bushing and washer combo for a while. Feels real good.

The ACE low dual duro bushings (+ Riptide cups) were the best feeling Venture setup I had found.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:56:01 PM by Xen »

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2324 on: January 19, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks a bunch!
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace low bushings in 6.1s
[close]

Yes you finally have come find the truth. Been running this exact bushing and washer combo for a while. Feels real good.
[close]

The ACE low dual duro bushings (+ Riptide cups) were the best feeling Venture setup I had found.

Yeah, I'm trying for a carvy but responsive venture setup rn so Im going to run some Indy 78a super soft cylinder bottom bushings and venture stock tops so even if the bottom bushing is tall its still super soft and wont let the carve "max out" like ventures do, but the hanger will still snap back into place cuz of the hard top bushing. Think it'll work? or is the top stock washer still gonna somehow restrict the turn?

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2325 on: January 19, 2022, 11:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the same issue with my Thunders, got a new set a couple years back and the turn sucked so I switched back to Ace.

Miss the pop and stability  :'(

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2326 on: January 20, 2022, 01:15:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks a bunch!
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace low bushings in 6.1s
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I'm trying for a carvy but responsive venture setup rn so Im going to run some Indy 78a super soft cylinder bottom bushings and venture stock tops so even if the bottom bushing is tall its still super soft and wont let the carve "max out" like ventures do, but the hanger will still snap back into place cuz of the hard top bushing. Think it'll work? or is the top stock washer still gonna somehow restrict the turn?
i just ran that combo with flat top washers
its good for turning quick but instant wheelbite on grinds
cant speak for the stock top washer, never used them
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2327 on: January 21, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks a bunch!
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace low bushings in 6.1s
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

wym by grinds? you wheelbite on a 5050 on a ledge? doesnt make sense to me i dont skate tranny btw

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2328 on: January 21, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks a bunch!
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace low bushings in 6.1s
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

wym by grinds? you wheelbite on a 5050 on a ledge? doesnt make sense to me i dont skate tranny btw
im pretty heavy @200 lbs
5050s on ledges were the only grind that just wouldnt work
physics man
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2329 on: January 22, 2022, 07:44:00 AM »
My stock purple bushings are starting to crumble, not sure what to get to replace them.

What’s the consensus on the best replacement? Supercush, bones, ace?

I run them pretty loose.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #2330 on: January 22, 2022, 08:05:26 AM »
My stock purple bushings are starting to crumble, not sure what to get to replace them.

I run them pretty loose.
if youve been running stock and have very few complaints i would go with supercush. doesnt change any washers or geometry and you can go a little softer with the 88 vs the 90 which should feel like stock but a bit better imo. hth!

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2331 on: January 22, 2022, 10:58:03 AM »
Expand Quote

I run them pretty loose.
[close]
if youve been running stock and have very few complaints i would go with supercush. doesnt change any washers or geometry and you can go a little softer with the 88 vs the 90 which should feel like stock but a bit better imo. hth!

Appreciate the response! Will probably go for the 88 supercush.

I’d like to try a flat washer too as the stock one really eats up the hanger, but don’t really want to buy bones bushings just for the washer…

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2332 on: January 24, 2022, 01:57:52 PM »
re: ace low bushings in 6.1s
they are the shit, perfect amount of looseness
have my kingpin nuts flush but the back truck is a lil tighter
will use these on my street board as long as they make em
10/10 do recommend

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2333 on: January 24, 2022, 03:07:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I run them pretty loose.
[close]
[close]

Appreciate the response! Will probably go for the 88 supercush.

I’d like to try a flat washer too as the stock one really eats up the hanger, but don’t really want to buy bones bushings just for the washer…

I run a flat washer on the top bushing, but I tried it on the bottom and it felt like it drastically changed the geometry or something. It wasn’t worth it for the extra looseness.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2334 on: January 24, 2022, 04:26:09 PM »
Idky purple stock bushings sometimes crumble.

Definitely buy super crush if you can. The green 94 or the orange? 90 are pretty close to the stock hardness.

I back Indy GRP as a second. It’s definitely the same stuff just different colors. I just prefer dlxsf.

Flat washers are critical.

My my next set of trucks I’m going
Green bushings
green pivot cups
green dlx 3 ply risers.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2335 on: January 24, 2022, 08:15:29 PM »
just jumped on and too lazy to scroll through all the pages.

am riding ace classics right now (44 on 8.5), getting bothered by the stability on ollies.

am debating to switch to venture or thunder

what's the consensus on 6.1 on 8.5? or is 5.8 the way to go?
difference between light's and regulars? the lights are lower, and i believe the hanger is a bit far back, thus extending the wb.

how does the wb on venture compare to thunders?
the turn vs. thunder and ace?

if you have any other info, comments etc. feel free to reply or pm.

thank you for your time and help

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2336 on: January 24, 2022, 08:36:51 PM »

am riding ace classics right now (44 on 8.5), getting bothered by the stability on ollies.

difference between light's and regulars? the lights are lower, and i believe the hanger is a bit far back, thus extending the wb.

if stability is what you want, venture is the answer
ive had both the 5.8s and 6.1s
if you ride 8.5 and up then 6.1 is a no brainer (extra stable)

wb extension
5.8 cast: 3.25 forged:3.375
6.1 cast: 3.125 forged: 3.25

i never ride ventures completely stock. ace low bushings, flat top washers, and riptide pivot cups. worth the upgrades when everything else about the truck is perfect. turn great, even on transition

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2337 on: January 24, 2022, 08:46:19 PM »

I prefer 5.8s on 8.5s, lighter and a bit more nimble and you can always pad the axle with washers if you want a little more grind space.

If you get standard ventures with the cast baseplates, it'll probably feel a little less foreign as the wb isn't extended as much. Putting hollow/titanium hangers on the cast plates is very nice but definitely not necessary.

The wb on cast plates should be pretty similar to thunder on forged plates give or take a bit, and the wb on ventures with forged plates is a little longer than that.

Venture turn feels pretty similar to indys, but much slower, feels like they only really lean and don't max out like indys or aces but thats precisely why they feel so stable. Compared to thunders they turn slower too but are more stable and less twitchy, less wheelbitey.

No amount of tinkering will make ventures turn as well as ace, thats not the point of ventures. But agree that ace bushings, riptide pivot cups and flat top washers will make them feel very very good.

Personally, I'd say breaking in the stock bushings and putting a bones flat top washer is all you need to get them feeling great. The rest are very marginal improvements.

They should pinch a lot better than aces on crooked grinds etc too.

Dont be too worried about the lack of turn coming from aces if you're after stability though. A friend of mine went from aces to stock ventures, complained a little at first but got pretty used to the turn in a few days, and after he put flat washers on said it was great, no issues at all.

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #2338 on: January 24, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
wb extension

[/quote]

I didn’t realize the wb extension varied between hanger widths. Does anyone know the cast v forged numbers for the 5.6 offhand?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2339 on: January 24, 2022, 08:55:19 PM »
wb extension

I didn’t realize the wb extension varied between hanger widths. Does anyone know the cast v forged numbers for the 5.6 offhand?
[/quote]

Maybe 6.1s are different, but 5.8 and 5.6s are the same I'm pretty sure.
When I measured my forged it was more like 3.4. 3.25 sounds about right for cast.

Probably some measurement error here n there, also you have to average the axle to axle measurements from both sides because your axles might not be perfectly straight due to your bushings etc.