Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369221 times)

Weezil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3630 on: December 01, 2022, 07:28:36 AM »
I know I think I'm gonna break my no hollow rule after my immeasurable disappointment with skating indy forged hollows and grab a pair of those for the bear.

I like ventures, those and indys work best for me. mixture of childhood nostalgia and the fact there's not as much going on with the turn and stuff I feel more confident skating faster and switch. trying some af1s since summer after ventures, and then trying venture again since has cemented that I value skating good over swerving around all slow.

kinda bummed they don't come in 5.6 as I kinda wanted to size down as I always aspire to skate more tech, but it works out b/c I'll probably hate them anyway like every other pair of trucks that are under/over 8.5.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3631 on: December 01, 2022, 07:33:47 AM »
Ok everyone I’m looking for words of advice to get me hyped on ventures!

I have a set of 5.2 lows (cast plates)on the way, I’m coming off thunder 147s that have inverted kingpins.

It’s my first time riding ventures since the green bushing feather lite lows on the 90s

What bushing setups work great with the lows?

Has anyone used an inverted i goin in the lows? I’m guessing not because the cavity doesn’t look like it will hold the kingpin but maybe there is a way?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance!!!

those green bushings..nostalgia..

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3632 on: December 01, 2022, 08:03:23 AM »
Kinda left field question, but I was flirting with Ventures recently and they seem to be more of an “american” trucks, meaning that here in Europe, I do not see that much content being put out by people that ride ‘em. Even tho Ace is trending here rn, you still see lots of Indy/Thunder people here, but not so many Venture. Thoughts?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -321
« Reply #3633 on: December 01, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »
Kinda left field question, but I was flirting with Ventures recently and they seem to be more of an “american” trucks, meaning that here in Europe, I do not see that much content being put out by people that ride ‘em. Even tho Ace is trending here rn, you still see lots of Indy/Thunder people here, but not so many Venture. Thoughts?

Leo Cholet part out a part for Venture earlier this year.

Scholesey

« Reply #3634 on: December 01, 2022, 08:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Leo Cholet part out a part for Venture earlier this year.

Sick part!

It just seems that Ventures has bigger following in the US, dunno why.

IpathCats

« Reply #3635 on: December 01, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »

SF pride is a pretty big part of their image, and i doubt most europeans relate to/care about that.

Scholesey

« Reply #3636 on: December 01, 2022, 08:32:28 AM »

Just to clarify, here meaning in Europe, not Slap.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #3637 on: December 01, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »

I'm in Austria, whenever I see people skating ventures it's tech guys riding 8.0 with venture lows. Never seen Venture hi's before I recently bought some 5.6s myself.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have a set of 5.2 lows (cast plates)on the way, I’m coming off thunder 147s that have inverted kingpins.

It’s my first time riding ventures since the green bushing feather lite lows on the 90s

Has anyone used an inverted i goin in the lows? I’m guessing not because the cavity doesn’t look like it will hold the kingpin but maybe there is a way?

Thanks in advance!!!
[close]

So long as you are ok with the way they turn(or don't), just ride them stock.  I always found stock lows to be really solid.  I think this is the best truck for flipping in and out of manuals if that is your thing - quick flip and really stable.
[close]
Do the stock bushings freeze? My thunders did

They freeze just like thunders, I wish DLX would change up their bushings so they work in the colder months.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3638 on: December 01, 2022, 08:44:45 AM »
They’re just a smaller more niche brand, lower down on the totem pole in terms of distribution.  I’d say here, Canada,  they are skated close to what people skate thunders….

The brand has had to change because they were the low tech truck, but suddenly everyone is skating 8.25’s and transition and slapplies….

I didn’t try the truck for awhile because I wanted to skate them based on nostalgia ie. low but now I think the high is a good truck.  Still a good technical truck but you can skate them loose. 

It’s good to see they are making options more readily available.  That’s what I liked about thunder too was after I got the IKP sorted, I could easily find hollow hangers and just swap them out.  Venture was a bit more work, getting TI’s….forget it. 

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3639 on: December 01, 2022, 09:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just to clarify, here meaning in Europe, not Slap.
I saw quite of bit of Ventures during my visit to Germany. I noticed Ventures were much cheaper than Indy's at the skate shops I visited so that's probably a factor

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3640 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm in Austria, whenever I see people skating ventures it's tech guys riding 8.0 with venture lows. Never seen Venture hi's before I recently bought some 5.6s myself.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance!!!
[close]

So long as you are ok with the way they turn(or don't), just ride them stock.  I always found stock lows to be really solid.  I think this is the best truck for flipping in and out of manuals if that is your thing - quick flip and really stable.
[close]
Do the stock bushings freeze? My thunders did
[close]

They freeze just like thunders, I wish DLX would change up their bushings so they work in the colder months.
Big ups I’ll grab some riptide barrels for them because today it’s like 20 degrees

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #3641 on: December 01, 2022, 01:21:48 PM »
Lol loads of people skate Venture in Europe. All the shops have them too.

Not sure where you are getting this from
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Scholesey

« Reply #3642 on: December 01, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »

Well for starters I haven’t seem many of them in the wild, and in most of the european footage I personally see there are not that many. I’ve spotted some in the latest Bye Jeremy video from Paris tho.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3643 on: December 01, 2022, 01:47:18 PM »

Yes, in France, in the years 2000 - 2010, 70% of skaters skated with low ventures !  However, nowadays .. with the "trendy" style, there has been a great rise of indy ! But, now Venture is slowly coming back because people are realizing that these are great trucks. (Ace is popular now too!)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3644 on: December 01, 2022, 11:41:59 PM »

About 5 or so years back I bought a set of Ventures to try them out. I live in Finland. Couldn’t find them anywhere in Finland. Only place that I found them was Skatedeluxe and when I was ready to buy they just ran out of the 5.8s. Had to wait for some months for them to restock. Wasn’t exactly easy back then at least. I’m not sure how much the availability has improved since then but at least in Finland they’re still fairly uncommon I’d say.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #3645 on: December 02, 2022, 12:28:16 AM »
Strange

Here in Barcelona every shop has them. Same in Ireland and UK.

I would say from my experience Indy are the biggest then a close tie between Ace and Venture for second. ACE probably wins by a margin.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3646 on: December 02, 2022, 12:50:30 AM »
Whoever recommended ace low bushings here. THANK YOU.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3647 on: December 02, 2022, 01:16:23 AM »
Will Venture ever make a 9" truck? I can get a 6.1 to stretch up to an 8.8 but would love them to bring out a slightly bigger size.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #3648 on: December 02, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »
Will Venture ever make a 9" truck? I can get a 6.1 to stretch up to an 8.8 but would love them to bring out a slightly bigger size.

back of the line buddy, we're still waiting for a 5.6 LO

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #3649 on: December 02, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

back of the line buddy, we're still waiting for a 5.6 LO

No kidding, 5.6 LO please!

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3650 on: December 02, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
More redrilled Ventures.

Scholesey

« Reply #3651 on: December 02, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
Quick question, does any of you guys ride Ventures looser with stock everything on wider boards (8.5+)?

IpathCats

« Reply #3652 on: December 02, 2022, 10:17:53 AM »
More redrilled Ventures.

OK, i need some answers god dammit. why are people doing this?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3653 on: December 02, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
Expand Quote
More redrilled Ventures.

[close]

OK, i need some answers god dammit. why are people doing this?

Watch it be something dumb like “ so I can get my skate tool on the hardware” :D

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3654 on: December 02, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
I've been told that Venture makes those plates and gives them to riders that ask. It's to pull the wheelbase in to where Indys sit for dudes that are used to that pop feel and wheelbase. That and the loose bushing kit makes them as close to an Indy as you're going to get.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3655 on: December 02, 2022, 11:48:43 AM »
Quick question, does any of you guys ride Ventures looser with stock everything on wider boards (8.5+)?

Not quite, but I run 5.8s with the loose trucks kit on a 8.5 board. Had a couple of sessions on the stock bushings and that worked totally fine, but I prefer the much looser feeling with the conversion kit. Anything in particular you wanna know about that combination?

Scholesey

« Reply #3656 on: December 02, 2022, 12:24:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not quite, but I run 5.8s with the loose trucks kit on a 8.5 board. Had a couple of sessions on the stock bushings and that worked totally fine, but I prefer the much looser feeling with the conversion kit. Anything in particular you wanna know about that combination?

I got the 5.8s cast, had a few sessions, coming from Thunder/Ace/Indy phase. There is something special about them, I really like the image too. I’m back on Indy rn and they work totally fine, but I am still thinking about those Ventures hehe. I like to skate everything, not favoring anything that much(eg. not being solely ledge skater). The thing is, I do not know if I can get used to the bigger turning radius and I like to skate shorter wide boards with short wheelbases, hence dunno if the Ventures are a good move, since they push the wb out.

Sorry, too much time on my hands to think rn hehe.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3657 on: December 02, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
Gotcha. The conversion kit makes them more responsive, but you'll never get Ventures to turn on a dime. It's just not what they're made for. If you you prefer  a really short effective wheelbase (measured from axle to axle), you're better off with different trucks. I actually run one setup with Ventures and one with Aces on identical decks to get the best of both worlds. Seriously considering setting up a third with Thunders for a nice middle ground, but I'll take these considerations to the gear madness thread.

Scholesey

« Reply #3658 on: December 02, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »
Gotcha. The conversion kit makes them more responsive, but you'll never get Ventures to turn on a dime. It's just not what they're made for. If you you prefer  a really short effective wheelbase (measured from axle to axle), you're better off with different trucks. I actually run one setup with Ventures and one with Aces on identical decks to get the best of both worlds. Seriously considering setting up a third with Thunders for a nice middle ground, but I'll take these considerations to the gear madness thread.

Yeaaaaah, I that’s the thing, maybe I do not know what I want and I can’t do multiple setups hehe. I have beaten my madness (almost), but still am sometimes dreaming about Ventures. Now I know how all the major trucks work at least hehe.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3659 on: December 02, 2022, 01:50:23 PM »
I've been told that Venture makes those plates and gives them to riders that ask. It's to pull the wheelbase in to where Indys sit for dudes that are used to that pop feel and wheelbase. That and the loose bushing kit makes them as close to an Indy as you're going to get.

Thats super interesting. I wish theyd sell those honestly. I love the stability of ventures but the pop feel is never exactly what I want. I feel like that would be the perfect truck for me.