Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369206 times)

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4920 on: October 02, 2023, 09:06:10 PM »
No 5.6 in lows, sadly.

Thank you, do you think an 8 with a 5.0 would feel odd?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4921 on: October 02, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »
Expand Quote
No 5.6 in lows, sadly.
[close]

Not at all. Size chart maxes out at 7.8” boards.

You are within the .25” +/- zone

Banned from the room

« Reply #4922 on: October 03, 2023, 06:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
It's the slow turn. That's why it feels taller than Indys' truck.

I love tall dumpy loose trucks. I've gotten used to my 93a 58mm rat bones 2 though the wheel is deadly on morning dew and when it's just sprinkling out.

Zero traction in damp conditions.

I'll continue in a wheel thread....
[close]

I think dumpy is the best description yet, really spot on.

Def.

I been feeling the change. I definitely know loose trucks is easier on the body.  I can stand full on a rail with 58mm 93a wheels.

I also had to relearn to skate my whole board. Before you had to be close to bolts always and it was the greatest shit.

I'm sore af.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4923 on: October 03, 2023, 10:54:38 PM »
I actually think gullwing when I hear dumpy.  I remember seeing those barrier kult guys skate them. Vert trucks skated loosely…..

mdspb

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4924 on: October 04, 2023, 10:00:56 AM »
Expand Quote
No 5.6 in lows, sadly.
[close]

There are 5.2 Lows, which are theoretically ideal for an 8”.
JAH SK8 SPB

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #4925 on: October 04, 2023, 10:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
“Jam nylock”
“Thin nylock”
And “Shear nylock” also apply to thinner nylon insert nuts.
[close]

Thing is trucks already use them. These are 'thin' by other industry standards, not ours. The only thinner ones I've been able to find are the Ti ones (King and axle); they're light and thin, but if you fux with your trux a lot, the [hard] nylon they use becomes useless in less time than a regular counterpart.

You're right. I was kind of worried that I might have compromised the integrity of the nuts by grinding them down. So, before you posted, I bought 10 thin nuts shipped from America and it turns out they're the same thickness as standard 3/8 kingpin nuts. Although they were listed by the seller as ~2mm thinner, they're not; they're actually the exact same height. What a waste of money.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4926 on: October 07, 2023, 01:55:51 PM »
I
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“Jam nylock”
“Thin nylock”
And “Shear nylock” also apply to thinner nylon insert nuts.
[close]

Thing is trucks already use them. These are 'thin' by other industry standards, not ours. The only thinner ones I've been able to find are the Ti ones (King and axle); they're light and thin, but if you fux with your trux a lot, the [hard] nylon they use becomes useless in less time than a regular counterpart.
[close]

You're right. I was kind of worried that I might have compromised the integrity of the nuts by grinding them down. So, before you posted, I bought 10 thin nuts shipped from America and it turns out they're the same thickness as standard 3/8 kingpin nuts. Although they were listed by the seller as ~2mm thinner, they're not; they're actually the exact same height. What a waste of money.

I fell for it too but didn’t pay crazy shipping.

Acer racing has the ti nuts, can get them via Amazon too; they are close to half the size and stupid light; axle nuts too, tho if you get these you need sooooo many speed rings it’s not funny.

3/8-24 Titanium Skateboard Truck Kingpin Nuts 2 pieces https://a.co/d/gCVcegM

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4927 on: October 07, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »
I found thinner nuts at my local Ace Hardware that are like these: https://www.fastenere.com/standard-thin-nylon-insert-hex-jam-lock-nuts-stainless-steel-18-8?variant_id=9584&device=c&network=x&keyword=&creative=&placement=&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwg4SpBhAKEiwAdyLwvP2TOQuzD-0lzDvKF-lo5UHFbPKuYOlPbScJvyGClKyrwi0AYaFVdxoCnpgQAvD_BwE

You can see they are thinner as they barely have a single thread on them. In the pictures you want to look for this as it is a better indicator than the outside of the nut, which might look thinner but isn't. A friend of mine just got these for his Ventures and runs them flush with 88 Supercush and loves them. Rides decently loose and didn't have to resort to the loose trucks kit.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4928 on: October 07, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »
I found thinner nuts at my local Ace Hardware that are like these: https://www.fastenere.com/standard-thin-nylon-insert-hex-jam-lock-nuts-stainless-steel-18-8?variant_id=9584&device=c&network=x&keyword=&creative=&placement=&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwg4SpBhAKEiwAdyLwvP2TOQuzD-0lzDvKF-lo5UHFbPKuYOlPbScJvyGClKyrwi0AYaFVdxoCnpgQAvD_BwE

You can see they are thinner as they barely have a single thread on them. In the pictures you want to look for this as it is a better indicator than the outside of the nut, which might look thinner but isn't. A friend of mine just got these for his Ventures and runs them flush with 88 Supercush and loves them. Rides decently loose and didn't have to resort to the loose trucks kit.

Just make sure you buy the 24 tpi, not 16 or 18.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #4929 on: October 08, 2023, 03:51:05 AM »

So, you're saying your friend ordered those same nuts from the link and ended up receiving thinner ones? No matter which option I choose, the photo doesn’t change. I think I'm happy with my ground-down ones for now. A replacement file was only €2.50.

Edited this post because it came off like I was accusing you of being dishonest, which wasn’t my intention! I’m just generally interested in case my nuts explode. So I'll either order these or those Acer nuts Xen suggested and hope the Nylock doesn't come out upon first use like last time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 08:27:06 AM by PuffinMuffin »
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4930 on: October 08, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
I had the nylon pop out as well on a first use kingpin nuts, pin pushed it out when tightening; They replaced it.

I wrecked my shoulder (still not right) because one of these fell off during a high (high) speed manual and my front hanger fell off and I didn’t know …put her down and pin to pavement, Superman for about 8’ crashed landed on my left arm and hip; pretty sure either a small fracture or major rotator rippage, weirdly no bruising or swelling. It must have looked super weird especially after as I was pacing around looking for my bushings…people coming up that saw with “you alright?” Lol

That’s when I let this particular ocd mission go.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 10:49:09 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4931 on: October 08, 2023, 11:07:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So, you're saying your friend ordered those same nuts from the link and ended up receiving thinner ones? No matter which option I choose, the photo doesn’t change. I think I'm happy with my ground-down ones for now. A replacement file was only €2.50.

Edited this post because it came off like I was accusing you of being dishonest, which wasn’t my intention! I’m just generally interested in case my nuts explode. So I'll either order these or those Acer nuts Xen suggested and hope the Nylock doesn't come out upon first use like last time.

The photos in the link I'm seeing show a nylock but with a single full thread below the nylock. A normal nut has 2. The difference is about 3/32" or so in thickness. That was the link he used. Seeing them in person they look noticeably different near the bottom of the nut in terms of the flats for the wrench.  The nylock portion is the same height. I don't know if it matters that we are in the United States? My local Ace and hardware supplier (an industrial bolt and metal warehouse) have what look to be the same ones.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4932 on: October 08, 2023, 03:04:59 PM »
I actually think gullwing when I hear dumpy.  I remember seeing those barrier kult guys skate them. Vert trucks skated loosely…..

Some gullwings skated ok. But that was a long time ago.

I loved my sidewinder. I tried to switch to agro trackers but I couldn't do it. I could make the gullwings way way looser. Also those aggros bushings was hard to look at

Banned from the room

« Reply #4933 on: October 08, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »
I'm almost ready for new trucks. I definitely going 6.1s. when I see them. I need to know because the 5.8 was definitely the best truck I've had ever

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4934 on: October 08, 2023, 05:07:44 PM »
Yo, probably asked and answered a million times
My bushings are cracked, is it alright to swap em out with the blue Indy barrel bushings?

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 58
« Reply #4935 on: October 08, 2023, 05:22:11 PM »
First sesh back on ventures.  Sooooo much better. Damn.  The lady got me some thunders for Xmas ( titanium ) been struggling all year on them.   Been venture my entire life but wanted to give the thunders a try.   

I have never had such a difficult time sliding tricks. The wheels would drag on the ledge.  Occasionally after copious amount of wax I could slide something.

Brutal.  Picked up some v-lights.  5.6.  Started making tricks quickly.  Even did the first switch crook of the year.  I don’t really try / do those that often but that’s besides the point.   What I’m getting at is if your thinking about it. Learn from my mistake.  Don’t.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Banned from the room

« Reply #4936 on: October 08, 2023, 05:32:23 PM »
My bushings are cracked, is it alright to swap em out with the blue Indy barrel bushings?

Oh yeah. Idk the hardness but they def will fit.

The only bushings I know that don't fit are bones. Probably ace classic. I should chop one of those towers a test

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4937 on: October 08, 2023, 05:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh yeah. Idk the hardness but they def will fit.

The only bushings I know that don't fit are bones. Probably ace classic. I should chop one of those towers a test

Thanks Unc. I think they're like 92 du?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #4938 on: October 08, 2023, 08:34:00 PM »
Yes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4939 on: October 08, 2023, 10:03:17 PM »
Someone just needs to take like some Ace or Krux or any white bushing that's on sale and dye them purple and sell as replacements.

I really hope DLX can offer purple and/or green replacements like they do for Thunder 90a

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #4940 on: October 08, 2023, 10:49:11 PM »
Kind of a random question. I have a set of very broken in standard 5.2 highs and lightly used 5.8 titaniums. I tried to put the 5.8 ti hangers on the 5.2 standard baseplates to make a hybrid truck, but for whatever reason they aren’t pairing well. I tried with stock bushings and it seems like the hangers are leaning really far inward, so the top bushings aren’t seated properly and I can’t get the top washer on at all. I tried with bones bushings and it was basically the same.

I was under the impression that I could mix and match parts at will, but it seems like that isn’t the case? Has anyone else experienced this?

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4941 on: October 09, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »
^^i have a set of 5.8s that are combo of titanium hangers and cast plates.  my favorite trucks ive ever used actually, thats a bummer yours arent cooperating

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4942 on: October 09, 2023, 10:23:52 AM »
running 5.6 ti hangers on 5.2 cast plates with no issues for about a year now

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #4943 on: October 09, 2023, 10:24:23 AM »
Kind of a random question. I have a set of very broken in standard 5.2 highs and lightly used 5.8 titaniums. I tried to put the 5.8 ti hangers on the 5.2 standard baseplates to make a hybrid truck, but for whatever reason they aren’t pairing well. I tried with stock bushings and it seems like the hangers are leaning really far inward, so the top bushings aren’t seated properly and I can’t get the top washer on at all. I tried with bones bushings and it was basically the same.

I was under the impression that I could mix and match parts at will, but it seems like that isn’t the case? Has anyone else experienced this?

not calling you out, i’ve never had this problem. i mix and match hangers and baseplates often.

i am fairly certain that venture only makes one style of baseplate (meaning the baseplates are not designed for hi or lo, or different widths. obviously there are cast, hollow, forged baseplates, but they are not width or height specific).

all to say: i got no fucking idea what’s going on there

Banned from the room

« Reply #4944 on: October 09, 2023, 01:35:07 PM »
I put a hollow hangers on a cast plate. Turns out I prefer the reverse.

Cast hangers hollow plates. Idk why

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4945 on: October 10, 2023, 04:24:14 AM »

Just looking at some of the random assorted Venture trucks I have and some are very much like that, in that it seems like the bottom bushings need to be a few mm taller, but then when stacked up to make the hanger sit nicely, the top bushing would not fit on the truck.

Weird for sure, but I didn't really compare a lot of parts, just some would fit well and others not so well, but as far as I recall, they were all the same size and make too, just from different runs, so something somewhere seems like it has changed.

One set in question had the silver kingpins which was from shortage / covid times, but I don't have the stickers under them to see when they were made.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4946 on: October 12, 2023, 04:56:09 PM »
New Manderson V cast hollows incoming:

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #4947 on: October 12, 2023, 06:01:18 PM »

Not into hollows myself, but cool to see them doing them in 5.2l.

Red bushings are the best.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4948 on: October 12, 2023, 06:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not into hollows myself, but cool to see them doing them in 5.2l.

Red bushings are the best.

Truth!

But still not 5.6 / 5.8 LO
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4949 on: October 18, 2023, 09:20:06 AM »
got some cheap nord-lock washers, hope they work better than locktite.
I had once my bolts loosen even i use locktite on them.